Dennis DeYoung - Tommy Shaw Acceptance Speeches

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung - Tommy Shaw Acceptance Speeches

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:14 am

Wow, completely different acceptance speeches for the Illinois Rock and Rock Hall of Fame!!!!

Seriously, what is wrong with Tommy that he can't even acknowledge that Dennis is one of the founding members of Styx? He's how old? He's worse than a bunch of mean girls in high school, so petty. (Most of you are men on here so you wouldn't understand the mean girls reference). Why didn't he let Chuck speak or actually accept the award?

This is from Dennis DeYoung's Facebook Page which includes his speech..........

https://www.facebook.com/DennisDeYoungOfficial

A TALE OF TWO SPEECHES ILLINOIS ROCK N ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION

Hey kids,

In our current zeitgeist facts and truth have become minor details. Personally I’m not a fan. People believe the lies they like -- always have maybe always will.
Yes, I broke my clavicle 4 weeks ago and as stated I’d a rather have broken my clavinet.

I was proud be honored to be inducted twice, once for Styx and once as a writer of 8 top ten Billboard singles.
The guys in Styx -- John and Chuck Panozzo, John Curulewski, James Young and what’s his name…couldn’t resist, Tommy Shaw -- 5 guys from Illinois and one from Alabama created the music that earned us this honor. So to them I say a heartfelt thanks to a job well done.

Any thoughts from you guys?

Here's Tommy's speech, unedited:
https://youtu.be/lJh4UrEvAPY

Cheers, The man with no name.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Dennis DeYoung - Tommy Shaw Acceptance Speeches

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:55 am

Who posted the video? It's now been made private.... :/
StyxGuy
LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:30 am

StyxGuy wrote:Who posted the video? It's now been made private.... :/

I'm not sure who's video this was on YouTube, the comments were brutal and then they made it private.

If you're on Facebook you can check out the group: Styxtoury - Their Words. I have a feeling that those videos will have to be taken down too soon. I've seen the video also posted on a variety of Facebook Pages and Groups by fans that were at that concert.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:47 am

The Subscriber is Music Therapy, they have other video's up, but took this one down.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:59 am

Tommy really coming off as just not a good person at all. I don't know why Dennis would even want to do a reunion at this point, Tommy and JY just are not good guys. I'm glad Dennis takes the high road in the matter.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:37 am

LtVanish wrote:Tommy really coming off as just not a good person at all. I don't know why Dennis would even want to do a reunion at this point, Tommy and JY just are not good guys. I'm glad Dennis takes the high road in the matter.

Dennis has always mentioned his former bandmates by name over the years and he continues to tell the stories of how the band started.

No matter what happened between them, I still can't believe TS is taking the history away, who does that?
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:28 am

What video? I you talking about the video of when styx was presented with the award?
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:03 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:What video? I you talking about the video of when styx was presented with the award?

The video after they were presented with the award. The video of Tommy accepting the award and talking about the history of the band. Are you still on Facebook ? It's posted on a few of the Styx, Classic Styx and Styxtoury Facebook pages.

It was on YouTube, but it has been taking down by the subscriber, the comments were pretty bad.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:52 pm

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:What video? I you talking about the video of when styx was presented with the award?

The video after they were presented with the award. The video of Tommy accepting the award and talking about the history of the band. Are you still on Facebook ? It's posted on a few of the Styx, Classic Styx and Styxtoury Facebook pages.

It was on YouTube, but it has been taking down by the subscriber, the comments were pretty bad.

I saw the video of Tommy being handed the award. What did he say that was offensive to anyone?? Is he required to praise DDY? The only reason STYX is still doing so well is because DDY is gone.... that I am thankful for!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:53 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:I saw the video of Tommy being handed the award. What did he say that was offensive to anyone?? Is he required to praise DDY? The only reason STYX is still doing so well is because DDY is gone.... that I am thankful for!

Exactly. All Tommy did was to tell the same story DENNIS tells, but he says a neighbor heard them playing and stopped by to see what it was....instead of saying "Dennis DeYoung". There is no insult. There is no rewrite of history. Only the fragile ego of an over-sensitive narcissist would take that as an insult, or ignoring his importance.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am

[quote="Monker"][quote="ChicagoSTYX"]
I saw the video of Tommy being handed the award. What did he say that was offensive to anyone?? Is he required to praise DDY? The only reason STYX is still doing so well is because DDY is gone.... that I am thankful for![/quote]

Exactly. All Tommy did was to tell the same story DENNIS tells, but he says a neighbor heard them playing and stopped by to see what it was....instead of saying "Dennis DeYoung". There is no insult. There is no rewrite of history. Only the fragile ego of an over-sensitive narcissist would take that as an insult, or ignoring his importance.[/quote]

‘A neighbor’ get real Monk. The ‘neighbor’ could of been one of the Chicago 7 or even a distant Capone family member. Maybe Ernie Banks??? I love Styx past & present. Gonna see them in late July in Houston. With that said calling DENNIS DEYOUNG ‘a neighbor’ is disrespectful and one of the most bullshit things Tommy Shaw has ever said about Dennis. That says a lot because so much of the venom he’s spewed since 99 is nothing but total bullshit.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:48 pm

yogi wrote:‘A neighbor’ get real Monk. The ‘neighbor’ could of been one of the Chicago 7 or even a distant Capone family member. Maybe Ernie Banks???

Except that everybody already knows it is Dennis. There is no guessing there.

Dennis wants things to follow a specific narrative. But, he doesn't control Tommy. It is up to Dennis to tell his story, not Tommy. Getting angry because Tommy didn't tell it the way Dennis demands is not Tommy's issue. It's Dennis', and yours - if you choose to go down that path. That is the path of a controlling narcissist....and as I said, this isn't the first time Dennis has acted like that.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:28 pm

There is only ONE way to tell it if you are talking how the band Styx started. The history of Styx. It started when DENNIS DEYOUNG, heard twin brothers JOHN & CHUCK PANOZZO playing music on their musical instruments as he walked by their house one summer day. That’s how Styx started. No other way.

Tommy went on to name JC & he named JY while he talked about the history of the GREAT band Styx. It was petty, disrespectful and out & out bullshit for Tommy to not name the absolute key member when discussing how the band was formed. No one does yet Tommy did.

Tommy became a superstar with the help of all 5 of the guys that came before him. For him to NAME the other 4 but not the one that’s arguably the most responsible for Tommy living the life he does today is laughable, petty & complete & utter bullshit.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:09 am

yogi wrote:There is only ONE way to tell it if you are talking how the band Styx started. The history of Styx. It started when DENNIS DEYOUNG, heard twin brothers JOHN & CHUCK PANOZZO playing music on their musical instruments as he walked by their house one summer day. That’s how Styx started. No other way.

Sure there is.
He could have said some mediocre accordion player showed up and interrupted them.
He could have said this manipulative controlling asshole showed up and joined the band, only to get fired, twice, years later.
He could have said this guy who thinks he should take all the credit for all the good things Styx did but refuses to take the blame for any of the issues showed up and joined the band.
He could have said this guy joined the band and got himself fired twice and sued the band.
He could have said all kinds of things...but he chose to ignore all of that and just say "a neighbor".

Tommy went on to name JC & he named JY while he talked about the history of the GREAT band Styx. It was petty, disrespectful and out & out bullshit for Tommy to not name the absolute key member when discussing how the band was formed. No one does yet Tommy did.

No it's not. It's your opinion. I think it is smart to allow Dennis to make his own claims in his own time...and NOT say his name and risk being sued again or fans begging for another reunion. Dennis is very good at stroking his own ego, so there is no need for Tommy to do it.

And, as I said, he has said these EXACT SAME THINGS before in concert...so it's not exactly anything new.

Tommy became a superstar with the help of all 5 of the guys that came before him. For him to NAME the other 4 but not the one that’s arguably the most responsible for Tommy living the life he does today is laughable, petty & complete & utter bullshit.

Sorry, that is Dennis' arrogance that you are repeating. Tommy is responsible for his own life. Dennis did not get him off drugs and alcohol. Tommy did that...with maybe help from Ted Nugent, but no help from Dennis. Tommy is the one who chose to leave Styx and try to build a career on the outside, and did that with Damn Yankees. Dennis DeYoung has NOTHING to do with recent success of Styx. You have NO CLUE what would have happened had he not joined Styx...that would be an alternate history and FICTION if you go down that route.

If Dennis NEEDS Tommy to mention his name, that is Dennis' problem - not Tommy's. If YOU need Tommy to mention Dennis' name, that is YOUR problem, not Tommy's. There was no stated or implied insult in what Tommy said...it is all in your head because he did not do what you want him to do.
Monker
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:05 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

The Subscriber is Music Therapy, they have other video's up, but took this one down.

He is on facebook and you can follow him, it is (2 days ago) still up.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:34 am

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egWmImbthec

Besides Tommy not even saying Dennis' name, he mentioned "neighbors" (plural) came over, that’s interesting. These unnamed neighbors joined a 2 piece, band that’s a new version. :roll:
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:59 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Here is the video

Besides Tommy not even saying Dennis' name, he mentioned "neighbors" (plural) came over, that’s interesting. These unnamed neighbors joined a 2 piece, band that’s a new version. :roll:

I guess you need something to hold on to Suite. DDY looks to be done. No tour, done with recording and looks to be retired. While Styx is seeing a nice resurgence. COTC has re-entered the billboard chart a year after release, the shows are selling out, another album in production. Good times!!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

I guess you need something to hold on to Suite. DDY looks to be done. No tour, done with recording and looks to be retired. While Styx is seeing a nice resurgence. COTC has re-entered the billboard chart a year after release, the shows are selling out, another album in production. Good times!!

Dennis just spent over 6 weeks in Milwaukee on the Hunchback. But you knew that.
It was a big commercial and critical success. I know I saw it twice and the audience response was louder than any musical of this nature (tragedy)I have ever seen. With Every Heartbeat ends the first act and people cheered and applauded well into the intermission. I know you don’t care but others do. The ending had people sniffling and wiping there eyes all around me. It was very emotional. I think Dennis would rather make people feel true human emotions over “tricky time signatures” and arrangement over song.

He is hardly retired.

Instead of being a Styx fan rather than a Tommy apologist you might not passive aggressively change the subject from his shameful omission of Dennis’s name in his acceptance speech for an Illinois award. He didn’t have to praise Dennis only mention his name.
In that suburban Chicago venue he probably feared that mentioning Dennis would cause a huge positives response from the audience and Tommy’s ego couldn’t handle it. This is why Dennis is not there, Tommy would go from #1 to #2. He and $haw Inc. Know this.
Tommy has maneuvered his way into running Styx.

But If you mean is Dennis touring, so far no. He has announced that he’ll make no more albums. Which is sad but understandable.
Your continuing fascination with Dennis is strange You have gotten what you wanted which a Proggie Styx that tours constantly so why care about Dennis. Your continued criticism and denigration of a stranger for someone your age seems inappropriate.

I on the other hand still care because I hope for one last tour and would like to see the ugliness toward Dennis stop.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:24 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

Dennis just spent over 6 weeks in Milwaukee on the Hunchback. But you knew that.
It was a big commercial and critical success. I know I saw it twice and the audience response was louder than any musical of this nature (tragedy)I have ever seen. With Every Heartbeat ends the first act and people cheered and applauded well into the intermission. I know you don’t care but others do. The ending had people sniffling and wiping there eyes all around me. It was very emotional. I think Dennis would rather make people feel true human emotions over “tricky time signatures” and arrangement over song.

He is hardly retired.

Instead of being a Styx fan rather than a Tommy apologist you might not passive aggressively change the subject from his shameful omission of Dennis’s name in his acceptance speech for an Illinois award. He didn’t have to praise Dennis only mention his name.
In that suburban Chicago venue he probably feared that mentioning Dennis would cause a huge positives response from the audience and Tommy’s ego couldn’t handle it. This is why Dennis is not there, Tommy would go from #1 to #2. He and $haw Inc. Know this.
Tommy has maneuvered his way into running Styx.

But If you mean is Dennis touring, so far no. He has announced that he’ll make no more albums. Which is sad but understandable.
Your continuing fascination with Dennis is strange You have gotten what you wanted which a Proggie Styx that tours constantly so why care about Dennis. Your continued criticism and denigration of a stranger for someone your age seems inappropriate.

I on the other hand still care because I hope for one last tour and would like to see the ugliness toward Dennis stop.

Your continuing fascination with Tommy is strange. Your continued criticism and denigration of a stranger for someone your age seems inappropriate.
Monker
MP3

Return to Styx