has JY checked out?

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

has JY checked out?

Postby willspups » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:46 am

JY doesn't sing any lead vocals on the current tour
He barely participated on the last 2 CD's, no songwriting credits, minimal lead vocals
Mission to Mars and Crash of the Crown sound like Tommy Shaw solo albums
Based on his current band participation it seems odd the negative things he has to say about Dennis, who's the team player now?
willspups
Radio Waves

Re: has JY checked out?

Postby Monker » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 am

willspups wrote:JY doesn't sing any lead vocals on the current tour
He barely participated on the last 2 CD's, no songwriting credits, minimal lead vocals
Based on his current band participation it seems odd the negative things he has to say about Dennis, who's the team player now?

Let's say that everything you are implying is true. He is no longer interested in singing, he is no longer interested in writing, he is no longer active in the creative process. He is simply part of the business decisions and plays guitar in concert...maybe he doesn't even care about having a big part in the concert...he just shows up and does what he is told.

First off, I don't believe that is near reality...and people are just filling in blanks with conspiracy theories. But lets assume it is true.

Why should I care since I love the last two albums, especially CotC, Styx has had success with both of the last two albums, Styx is planning to record a third album...at the request of the label, and the last tour was very successful Why should I care if JY is backing off during this resurgence and success of Styx? Why do YOU care? If that is what JY WANTS and it is not having any negative impact on Styx, maybe even a positive impact, then I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure JY has his reasons for his actions, maybe it's his wife being ill...who knows? All I know is that Styx is doing very well right now.
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:30 am

Monker wrote:

Let's say that everything you are implying is true. He is no longer interested in singing, he is no longer interested in writing, he is no longer active in the creative process. He is simply part of the business decisions and plays guitar in concert...maybe he doesn't even care about having a big part in the concert...he just shows up and does what he is told.

First off, I don't believe that is near reality...and people are just filling in blanks with conspiracy theories. But lets assume it is true.

Why should I care since I love the last two albums, especially CotC, Styx has had success with both of the last two albums, Styx is planning to record a third album...at the request of the label, and the last tour was very successful Why should I care if JY is backing off during this resurgence and success of Styx? Why do YOU care? If that is what JY WANTS and it is not having any negative impact on Styx, maybe even a positive impact, then I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure JY has his reasons for his actions, maybe it's his wife being ill...who knows? All I know is that Styx is doing very well right now.

"Why should I care I love the last two Styx albums." Hung by your own words proving you were never a Styx fan only a ball washing $haw apologist who wouldn’t care about anyone from Styx as long as your idol is there. Everyone on this site knows it.

JY has always voiced strong opinions about the way the music and business has been run. And publicly. Suddenly after Will enters Tommy’s world JY retreats in to the background looking like a beaten man without purpose. We all care because we wanted JY Tommy and Dennis together we are Styx’s true fans something you know nothing about.

People our age like me point out Tommy and his rewriting of history because he and $haw Inc. have kept our dream of Styx reuniting from happening. But that matters not to you.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:11 am

Heard a JY audio interview a month or so ago. JY stated that at this point in his life (wife being so sick) & career that he is perfectly happy handling the business end of Styx, touring & playing guitar. He also praised Tommy & Will for their efforts on the last 2 albums.

For the Tommy haters I’m gonna indirectly get a shot in for you on Sunday night when I see Styx with Loverboy & REO. I’m gonna have my daughter wear my old Edge Of The Century T shirt. I rummaged thru all my Styx T’s yesterday. My old Texxas Jam, Main Event & Paradise Theater T shirts would all probably fit her but damn are they paper thin. I mean thin. So Ashton is gonna go with The Edge tour shirt. It’s kind of girly looking anyway so when I sent her the photo of it yesterday she said she wanted to wear it & KEEP IT.

It’s gonna be HOT HOT on Sunday and I can’t wait. It’s wild for me to believe that it was almost 40 years ago that the Dallas / Houston back to back shows in Tommy’s eyes or Tommy’s lies brought Styx down. My son will actually see the Styx show Saturday night in Dallas while I’ll see them Sunday. Styx will be closing Sat night in Dallas I’ll see them in the middle slot with REO closing on Sunday. It’s all good
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:47 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:
Monker wrote:

"Why should I care I love the last two Styx albums." Hung by your own words proving you were never a Styx fan only a ball washing $haw apologist who wouldn’t care about anyone from Styx as long as your idol is there. Everyone on this site knows it.

JY has always voiced strong opinions about the way the music and business has been run. And publicly. Suddenly after Will enters Tommy’s world JY retreats in to the background looking like a beaten man without purpose. We all care because we wanted JY Tommy and Dennis together we are Styx’s true fans something you know nothing about.

People our age like me point out Tommy and his rewriting of history because he and $haw Inc. have kept our dream of Styx reuniting from happening. But that matters not to you.

I wonder if the person I replied to, and you answered for, agrees with this? I answered that post without any insults, without any attacks to the person I was replying to, or Dennis, or anybody else...and with a genuine question about why I should care.

Your answer is basically, if I don't care about JY checking out, then I am a ball licking Tommy fan who doesn't care about Styx.

Frankly, YOUR message reads like a derange fanatic who has nothing left but insults, towards fans and Tommy, to try to make an argument for a reunion that will never happen because the only person who has expressed ANY recent interest is Dennis and people like you who can't accept reality. You are starting to sound a bit psychotic and projecting your own ball licking affection for Dennis DeYoung on others. Grow up and see a therapist.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:37 am

My son just woke up long enough to text and tell me I won’t be seeing Loverboy tonight along with REO & Styx. He said that it was announced that Covid had cancelled them out for the Dallas & Houston portion of the tour. Texted the show was GREAT!

I’m hoping with no Loverboy that Styx gets to really extend their set. I would love to hear Hold Back The Darkness, Save Us From Ourselves & Locomotive. I’m about to leave for my daughters apt & Houston, TX USA !!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 am

yogi wrote:My son just woke up long enough to text and tell me I won’t be seeing Loverboy tonight along with REO & Styx. He said that it was announced that Covid had cancelled them out for the Dallas & Houston portion of the tour. Texted the show was GREAT!

I’m hoping with no Loverboy that Styx gets to really extend their set. I would love to hear Hold Back The Darkness, Save Us From Ourselves & Locomotive. I’m about to leave for my daughters apt & Houston, TX USA !!

How as the show? Did they extend the sets?
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:27 am

Full report tomorrow. The word GREAT is such an understatement of what Styx is. JY in no way shape or form has checked out. He’s a gangster out there.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby brywool » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:01 am

It's pretty clear from anyone that's been paying attention and listening that JYs voice is feeling it's age. Being off during covid hasn't helped many singers and it took a while for even TS to get back into the live swing of things. Also- JY's wife seems to be his prime focus these days- at least, that's what he has said a few times. That's the focus for him. Rightfully so. So he's not been as involved. Lawrence also took a backseat writing wise on COTC. Tommy and Will obviously had a vision and the band went with it- and the results are stunning to me. JY's voice is all over the album, as is his guitar. Lawrence is all over both albums as well. I think Styx is fine, but they are getting older. Change is going to happen.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:11 am

JY sings background on every song. He only sang lead for about 1 minute on the song Crash Of The Crown and he sounded really good. Kevin Cronin's voice was the voice that sounded fried the other night. I'm hoping it was just an off night for him. Lawrence takes a back seat to no one in concert. Tommy was absolutely fantastic but LG up on stage was better.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:31 am

From last week…. Doesn’t look like he’s checking out to me!
https://youtu.be/UamjFC9XrJU
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:20 am

This “JY is checked out”bullshit has been going around since early 2021, yet every concert Styx does strongly shows that the facts are contrary to that. Just baseless speculation by random losers.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:02 am

Archetype wrote:This “JY is checked out”bullshit has been going around since early 2021, yet every concert Styx does strongly shows that the facts are contrary to that. Just baseless speculation by random losers.

Agree, I find it pretty amazing that he can take care of his wife while still preforming in every Styx concert. That is true dedication!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:04 am

If anyone has checked out it's DDY. And that fine, I won't miss him. He's earned it. Happy retirement!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:31 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Archetype wrote:This “JY is checked out”bullshit has been going around since early 2021, yet every concert Styx does strongly shows that the facts are contrary to that. Just baseless speculation by random losers.

Agree, I find it pretty amazing that he can take care of his wife while still preforming in every Styx concert. That is true dedication!

He is her full-time caregiver when he is at home - when he is touring he obviously cannot provide the constant care she needs so they do have help.

This is one of the few interviews where he has talked about her health;

https://smashinginterviews.com/intervie ... bands-name
StyxGuy
LP

Return to Styx