HOF

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

HOF

Postby Monker » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:46 am

According to this article Styx, REO, Foreigner, Boston and that entire era of music has never even been considered for the RnR HOF. I think Journey was voted in by fans or they probably would not have made it either.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-ha ... gner-styx/

Funny how an entire era of rock isn't even discussed to be nominated, but rap and disco are IN the HOF. Completely ridiculous.
Monker
MP3

Re: HOF

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:41 am

Monker wrote:According to this article Styx, REO, Foreigner, Boston and that entire era of music has never even been considered for the RnR HOF. I think Journey was voted in by fans or they probably would not have made it either.

Funny how an entire era of rock isn't even discussed to be nominated, but rap and disco are IN the HOF. Completely ridiculous.

The fan vote is purely optics. It may help an artist for consideration but the fans do not actually decide anything.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:02 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Monker wrote:According to this article Styx, REO, Foreigner, Boston and that entire era of music has never even been considered for the RnR HOF. I think Journey was voted in by fans or they probably would not have made it either.

The fan vote is purely optics. It may help an artist for consideration but the fans do not actually decide anything.

Why do you believe this? I don't think this is true at all.

Every year, the HOF gets together a list of bands/artists that are eligible for the fan vote. Then, the fans have an opportunity to vote one of those bands in. I do not recall the details of the story for Journey, but they had an ally in one member of the HOF who wanted them in the fan list. So, he promoted the idea from within and got them on the list for the fans to vote on. They won the fan vote that year. It had nothing to do with the nominating committee.

This year, there are something like 15 bands on the list for fans to vote on, Then it is narrowed down top 5. Then it is a bit murky where the rules say the fan votes are then counted along with the other votes. Not sure exactly what that means but I have not seen where the fans did not get what they voted for.

https://vote.rockhall.com/en/

The bottom line in what I was arguing in the previous posts is the nominating committee has never even considered Styx, REO, Foreigner, etc. They had never discussed those bands...including Journey. I would not expect that to change any time soon.
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:58 am

I really don’t see why the HOF can’t have at least different genres, if not different locations. Like say the Country Hall of Fame in Nashville. Just not all under rock. It’s ludicrous. AOR bands are pretty much ignored. There’s no concrete criteria for inclusion. Certainly not based on sales..The above bands you listed are all multi-platinum bands with multiple top 10 hits. Foreigner’s first 4 albums were huge. Boston’s eponymous release we all know if one of the largest selling debuts in history and Styx had 4 triple platinum albums certified in a row. A first. Oh and REO has I believe a diamond record. Give them their due. You can’t tell me none of these bands influenced younger generations to play. Maybe not as much as some, but they have their place.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:35 pm

My point is that the HOF is not exactly an HOF. It's a "who can we use to make some $ off of". And, there is an very apparent bias against those melodic rock bands. They are still seen as corporate rock and pointless. So, they are not even considered. But, they will consider stupid shit like Madonna or some rap band that I have never heard of because they want to make money off of it.

I'll throw out again that the Hard Rock Cafe should do their own version of the HOF, but keep it real and authentic to celebrating rock music, not pop and rap and even country. They have a LOT of memorabilia already so they could really do something...create their own HOF museum somewhere to put it on display. I think it would work and put some competition out there.
Monker
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:26 am

The whole HOF is a joke anyways, why would anyone want to be a part of it at this point? I think Steve Miller really exposed the whole thing really well a few years back and called them out for who they are.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Cassie May » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:09 am

What's interesting is that Jann Wenner has been kicked off the HOF committee for mysoginistic and incendiary remarks. How will this affect future nominations? Who knows.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Return to Styx