Dennis DeYoung Night at the Proms 2008

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung Night at the Proms 2008

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:55 am

Dennis posted on his Facebook page a video from his 2008 Night at the Proms performance of Babe. He played 3 songs that night, Babe, BOTR and Mr. Roboto.

Babe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQnl8OO7lI

BOTR - this one is from a phone, video quality isn't the greatest, but still sounds pretty darn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5KEQW9QV0

Here's from his Facebook Page:

Hey, kids,
I’d never seen this video until yesterday and as I watched I was immediately reminded of the incredible time Suzanne and I had on the 2008 NIGHT OF THE PROMS tour in Germany. It was a Christmas tour throughout the whole country and everywhere we traveled there were beautiful outdoor Christmas festivities and decorations in every German city we visited. These outdoor fairs with food, warm mulled wine and holiday decorations for sale are called "Christkindlmarkets." The one in Munich was especially memorable.
The Proms tour included fellow musicians Robin Gibb, Tears for Fears, 10CC, Kim Wilde, Igudesman and Joo, the Angels of Harlem Choir and yours truly all accompanied by The Antwerp Philharmonic Orchestra.
Big production in sold-out arenas with some of the most polite audiences anywhere. I performed 3 songs - "Babe," "Boat On The River," and "Mr. Roboto."
Yes, I sang and played accordion on BOTR along with the 50 piece orchestra. The promoters asked me if I would consider doing BOTR because of its popularity in Germany and I jumped at the chance. Why not, it would have never been recorded had I not convinced Tommy that we could experiment and really have fun with his song. Initially he didn’t think it was a Styx song but during the time of Cornerstone I was encouraging the band to stretch out musically so there’s a mandolin, accordion, stand up bass and tuba.
My mantra was always “it’s the song’’ not the style that matters. This is what I leaned from The Beatles.
There was once a video of Mr. Roboto fully produced somewhere on YouTube, don’t know where it went but so far I’ve only ever seen BOTR shot from someones iPhone. I will see if I can locate it.
On the final show of the tour unbeknownst to me the promoters had Suzanne sneak out on stage while I performed Babe and wrap me in yellow crime scene tape. Ho Ho Ho…This video is on YouTube but the quality ain’t great. It was the best of times.
Cheers, Herr Dennis
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Return to Styx