VW does the robot(o) for Super Bowl spot

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

VW does the robot(o) for Super Bowl spot

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:15 am

VW is at it again :D This ad was created for the Canadian market, so I'm not sure anyone in the U.S. would have seen or been aware of it ;)

https://the-message.ca/2023/02/10/vw-do ... bowl-spot/
StyxGuy
LP

Re: VW does the robot(o) for Super Bowl spot

Postby yogi » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:30 am

That’s soooooo GREAT!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:45 am

I can see why it was not in the US. That commercial is a bit lame. There were others that hit that nostalgic mark much, much better. I guess it could be good for Styx in a way...but, IMO, it does more to throw "Mr. Roboto" back into the lame 80's song category than anything else...and VW along with it.

Styx would do better to get a song in the final season of Stranger Things...even if it is Mr. Roboto, could be a bit of redemption after this. If DDY would allow it, they could remix it like they did for "Separate Ways" last season.
Monker
MP3

Postby Cassie May » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:11 pm

Monker wrote:I can see why it was not in the US. That commercial is a bit lame. There were others that hit that nostalgic mark much, much better. I guess it could be good for Styx in a way...but, IMO, it does more to throw "Mr. Roboto" back into the lame 80's song category than anything else...and VW along with it.

Styx would do better to get a song in the final season of Stranger Things...even if it is Mr. Roboto, could be a bit of redemption after this. If DDY would allow it, they could remix it like they did for "Separate Ways" last season.

If Stranger Things did that, and chose the right song, Styx could have their Kate Bush moment. Seriously, who saw that happening?
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:35 am

yogi wrote:That’s soooooo GREAT!!

This is so great. The Super Bowl ‘’STYX ICONIC SONG’’! Oh Canada.

The original Mr. Roboto commercial was initially broadcast for 1 year in the US and Canada but because of its popularity it was optioned for a second.
The talented actor Tony Hale of Arrested Development and V.I.P. was the main character. I think it was around 1995 or 96. And now decades years later VW uses it again. It again shows the staying power and popularity of this song.
Here it’s used in the most current ‘’modren’’ setting with the emphasis on VW EV’S. The campaign called ELECTRIC FEELS GOOD

Styx has nothing to do with this. This is all Dennis. They have no say so whatsoever.
Dennis’s music keeps the Styx name in the spotlight.

And as Tommy himself had said on BTM ‘I just couldn't think of any songs about robot’s.” Thankfully Dennis could.
Recently Tommy has also said ‘’Roboto is a timeless song with an incredible arrangement’’. Which it always was. He said this after his band started playing it in concert again as their first encore to great success.

‘’Mr. Roboto feels as relevant today as it did in 1983’’.
Actually more relevant. ‘Who saw that coming’? Dennis.

Mr. Roboto would be ideal for Stranger Things

Congratulations to Dennis, John and Chuck, JY and Tommy Shaw for ‘this timeless song and incredible arrangement’.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:17 am

Keeping them in the spotlight? LOL! Without this obscure article nobody would know it exists. Searches do not find it on YouTube. I wonder if it is even being aired now. It is lame and an embarrassment for VW.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:25 am

Cassie May wrote:
Monker wrote:I can see why it was not in the US. That commercial is a bit lame. There were others that hit that nostalgic mark much, much better. I guess it could be good for Styx in a way...but, IMO, it does more to throw "Mr. Roboto" back into the lame 80's song category than anything else...and VW along with it.

If Stranger Things did that, and chose the right song, Styx could have their Kate Bush moment. Seriously, who saw that happening?

I agree. I think "Don't Let It End" would work...they could cut it and remix for a trailer for advertising it as the "final season".
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:16 am

Monker wrote:
Cassie May wrote:

I agree. I think "Don't Let It End" would work...they could cut it and remix for a trailer for advertising it as the "final season".

Monker actually said something nice about DLIE??? :shock:
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:20 am

Super Bowl ratings in Canada make it the most watched program of the season. More great news for Mr. Roboto.
VW and it’s campaign for EV’S get off to a great start. They must be thrilled. Domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

Tommy Shaw ‘’Mr. Roboto is a timeless classic and an incredible arrangement’’.
Imagine if he had said this on BTM.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:53 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:Super Bowl ratings in Canada make it the most watched program of the season. More great news for Mr. Roboto.
VW and it’s campaign for EV’S get off to a great start. They must be thrilled. Domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

Tommy Shaw ‘’Mr. Roboto is a timeless classic and an incredible arrangement’’.
Imagine if he had said this on BTM.

You said it put the spotlight on Styx. Where?

Last I looked: There is no talk about it anywhere. I Google it and only find TWO articles on it and nothing else. There is NO YouTube video. Literally, nobody cares.

And, when I did the Google, I found this:
https://wror.com/2023/01/26/james-young ... mr-roboto/

Styx’s “Mr. Roboto” recently was included on a list of rock's most hated song. Our friends Mike and Carla from KKLZ in Las Vegas happened to speak to Styx’s James “JY” Young about the song and it turns out that he’s not a huge fan, either.

“I really thought that that song didn’t belong on a Styx record. But Dennis DeYoung had been very successful with songwriting with ‘Come Sail Away,’ ‘Lady’… ‘Babe’ was a little soft for me but it was another big hit for us. And Dennis came up with this ‘Mr. Roboto’ song. He didn’t smoke weed, so I didn’t know where it came from! He wrote the song and it got on the record, and we did our best to make it sound like something [Styx would do], but ultimately it made it to number two on the Hot 100.” (Actually, “Mr. Roboto” made it to three, per Billboard.)

He adds, “It was the only 45″ of ours that sold a million copies. I had a songwriting credit on the B-side, so I got paid for that.” That song was “Snowblind,” from the band’s previous album,1981’s Paradise Theater. That song was co-written by Young and DeYoung.

“So, after Dennis decided not to come out on the road anymore, we didn’t play it [anymore].” But Young notes that some of the band’s employees explained that, of the songs that they no longer played, “Mr. Roboto” was the most requested one.

“Mr. Roboto” was from the album Kilroy Was Here, a 1983 concept LP. The album peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song was on the charts for eighteen weeks before falling off in April of that year.
Monker
MP3

Return to Styx