Dennis DeYoung - Kilroy Album Interview

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis DeYoung - Kilroy Album Interview

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:56 pm

This was posted on Dennis' Facebook Page yesterday, March 6, 2023 - Great interview!!

Hey Kids,
This is hands-down the best interview I have ever given regarding the "Kilroy Was Here album." Thanks to Joe Rock for this opportunity.
Regardless of your feelings about the Kilroy album and tour I think you’ll find this interesting. My manager Tim told me he’d learned things he didn’t know. Suzanne actually asked me if I was Mr. Roboto? And I said, no ‘’I’m Kilroy Kilroy Kilroy." You must always repeat Kilroy 3 times or you’ll have 7 years of bad vibes.
Cheers, Joe Rolla

https://www.wbab.com/entertainment/fire ... Y3Cy8HuKd4
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Dennis DeYoung - Kilroy Album Interview

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:42 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:This was posted on Dennis' Facebook Page yesterday, March 6, 2023 - Great interview!!

Hey Kids,
This is hands-down the best interview I have ever given regarding the "Kilroy Was Here album." Thanks to Joe Rock for this opportunity.
Regardless of your feelings about the Kilroy album and tour I think you’ll find this interesting. My manager Tim told me he’d learned things he didn’t know. Suzanne actually asked me if I was Mr. Roboto? And I said, no ‘’I’m Kilroy Kilroy Kilroy." You must always repeat Kilroy 3 times or you’ll have 7 years of bad vibes.
Cheers, Joe Rolla

https://www.wbab.com/entertainment/fire ... Y3Cy8HuKd4

I watched this last night and it's sad to see how he is slowing down. He was slurring his words and could not sit still. Something is not right. I don't think he will ever do another concert.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:24 am

BEST DDY interview EVER. First time EVER Dennis or any member of Styx stated that right after the encore of Hagar, Nugent & Emmett the Cotton Bowl enacted the at the time Texas Blue Laws ( no alcohol sales on Sunday) and cut off beer sales ( the Texxas Jam was sponsored by Budwiser). So many in the crowd went nuts because the Blue Laws by law were not supposed to go into effect until 12am (Sunday morning). When that happened and we were sitting on the infield 3 or 4 of my friends left to go to their trucks to try to bring beer back in. Dumb asses couldnt even find their trucks and they missed the entire Styx show. We found them about 12;30 am passed out inside the trucks.

Look it up the day after the original Styx BTM aired I wrote this and no one said shit other than I was making this up cause I was a DDY bathwater drinker. That part happened EXACTLY how Dennis an I (much much earlier) said it did. Styx also took a long ass time to take the stage still the 35,000 - 40,000 + thousand that stayed LOVED the show. I would also say the year prior I went to the Texxas Jam where Journey headlined. It was hot as hell that day too. 1000's left after Santana finished their set & before Journey took the stage. But at that Jam they didnt cut off the beer sales.

Tommy, JY and Cahil lied about the Dallas portion of that concert. I was there and finally someone (DDY) stated exactly what I posted here the very next day after that Behind The Music actually happened after Hargar's encore ended. It's 100 % true

What a GREAT interview & Dennis sounded GREAT!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:49 am

No comments?? I got ripped to shreds here when I stated what I knew for a fact what had happened at the Texas Jam. I had even seen new ( non DDY) Styx twice touring with Glen, Gowan for the first time etc and loving the shows when that total slanderous total bullshit Behind The Music came out. The story of what happened at that show as told by Cahil, Tommy & JY was absolute fiction. For Dennis to say this now waiting 25 years blows my mind too. Why did he and others who knew the absolute truth about what really happened and the mass exodus by about 15,000 fans after the Hagar encore take so long??

I didn’t even know my wife of 31 years now when I went to this concert. When we watched the Behind The Music episode together I was screaming that’s not what happened. To this day I’m not sure if she believed my rendition of what really happened. I can’t wait to get home and show her this interview
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:39 am

yogi wrote:No comments?? I got ripped to shreds here when I stated what I knew for a fact what had happened at the Texas Jam. I had even seen new ( non DDY) Styx twice touring with Glen, Gowan for the first time etc and loving the shows when that total slanderous total bullshit Behind The Music came out. The story of what happened at that show as told by Cahil, Tommy & JY was absolute fiction. For Dennis to say this now waiting 25 years blows my mind too. Why did he and others who knew the absolute truth about what really happened and the mass exodus by about 15,000 fans after the Hagar encore take so long??

I didn’t even know my wife of 31 years now when I went to this concert. When we watched the Behind The Music episode together I was screaming that’s not what happened. To this day I’m not sure if she believed my rendition of what really happened. I can’t wait to get home and show her this interview

I’m sure there is some truth on both sides. Do you honestly believe that not one person left when they saw Tommy and Dennis on stage talking for 10 minutes after DDY just finished prancing around on stage in a robot suit singing to recorded music! Really?? ? If I wasn’t there to specifically see Styx and had been there for 8 hours already….. I would have left too! Beer or no beer!
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:11 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
yogi wrote:No comments?? I got ripped to shreds here when I stated what I knew for a fact what had happened at the Texas Jam. I had even seen new ( non DDY) Styx twice touring with Glen, Gowan for the first time etc and loving the shows when that total slanderous total bullshit Behind The Music came out. The story of what happened at that show as told by Cahil, Tommy & JY was absolute fiction. For Dennis to say this now waiting 25 years blows my mind too. Why did he and others who knew the absolute truth about what really happened and the mass exodus by about 15,000 fans after the Hagar encore take so long??

I’m sure there is some truth on both sides. Do you honestly believe that not one person left when they saw Tommy and Dennis on stage talking for 10 minutes after DDY just finished prancing around on stage in a robot suit singing to recorded music! Really?? ? If I wasn’t there to specifically see Styx and had been there for 8 hours already….. I would have left too! Beer or no beer!

And, there is the Sammy Hagar comments I posted that says that after that concert Tommy told him wanted to leave the band. And, Sammy believes he and Nugent were the reason Styx broke. Is Sammy lying, too? What does Nugent have to say? Is it all a huge conspiracy against Dennis because his perspective is the only one that matters and other perspectives are just lies?

I believe that saying Tommy and JY are lying is exaggerating. After Sammy and Nugent perform, having to do the antics in Kilroy was probably embarrassing for them, regardless of the crowd reaction. They see all the empty seats and blame the embarrassing shit they were doing. They saw Sammy and Ted and wanted to be that, not a quasi-theater Broadway band acting out a play. So, they believe what they believe. When I look at it from their perspective, I can understand why. If that is the case, they are not 'lying'.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:14 pm

Honestly & truthfully 95% of the people that left boooed like crazy with TX Blue Laws announcement. It was was totally bogus because it halted beer sales immediately. That in itself where I was almost started a riot because it wasn’t Sunday yet. I’m guessing realistically 95% of the people that left, left 20-35 minutes before Styx ever got on stage. I believe I read in the Monday morning Dallas paper the attendance for the jam was 62,000+. When Styx played after being there since 9am with music starting @ 2pm in 110 degree heat with no breeze and 0 working bathrooms I’m guessing 40 - 44,000 remained and 98% of them absolutely loved the show. Like I said I had 4 buddies who left to go to a truck to get more beer. They said they would be right back. First the dumbasses couldn’t find our trucks then they couldn’t get back in.

Great times!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:15 pm

And, BTW, the rest of that interview was very boring. He is just rambling on and on about things that have already been said before. This is not the best interview ever...it really isn't even an interview. It's just Dennis droning on about Kilroy for the entire interview. If someone does not know that story, maybe it would be interesting...
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:20 pm

Cahil, Tommy & JY lied their asses off about the Jam. Maybe Tommy did want to leave Styx but what happened and how it was depicted on BTM was an out & out lie. Tommy & JY know they lied. I was there and supporting “New Styx” 100% as I do now but what they said about the Dallas portion of the TX Jam in no way happened in the way they said it did in regards to the audience leaving. I posted that the day after that episode on Styx aired and I’ll die on that hill because I was there and witnessed the entire thing.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby LtVanish » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:22 am

That was an amazing interview. I love the Kilroy was Here album, I loved the Styx sound with a touch of new Wave.
As for JY and Tommy and some on this board, if you tell a lie long enough you believe the lie. It doesn't matter if you even have proof. It happens all the time in politics.
As for Dennis not touring right now, I don't blame him, he is 76 years old! He is an old man, I hope I'm still as sharp as DDY when and If I reach that age. Dennis is a Legend and a Hero to many.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:28 am

I have always like the Kilroy CD, sometimes better than others. Last month I put in on and listened to the whole thing, the first time in about a year, and I was blown away by it. The memories came flooding back and for a little over 2 weeks, I either listened to every day either on the way into work or the way home. There were little things in the music I ethier forgot about or never heard before. I love it when an album can do that to you. Kilroy was Here, indeed!
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby yogi » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:28 am

Just watched this again and I will go out on a limb and say this: Had AC/DC been the headliners, after it was announced that The TX Blue Laws would be enacted immediately cutting off beer sales damn near as many would have left the Cotton Bowl. Then everyone could have said the For Those About To Rock We Salute You tour caused the end of AC/DC. I actually was supposed to see that tour in 81/82 ( whenever it was) @ Reunion Arena in Dallas. It got cancelled last minute. Rumor was it was cancelled because the band wasn't going to be allowed to fire the cannon inside the arena.

Truth be told in this DDY interview!!! 100%!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:23 am

yogi wrote:Just watched this again and I will go out on a limb and say this: Had AC/DC been the headliners, after it was announced that The TX Blue Laws would be enacted immediately cutting off beer sales damn near as many would have left the Cotton Bowl. Then everyone could have said the For Those About To Rock We Salute You tour caused the end of AC/DC. I actually was supposed to see that tour in 81/82 ( whenever it was) @ Reunion Arena in Dallas. It got cancelled last minute. Rumor was it was cancelled because the band wasn't going to be allowed to fire the cannon inside the arena.

Truth be told in this DDY interview!!! 100%!!!!!

AC/DC was not Styx. They had not fired their lead singer and rehired him. They did not have members of the band complaining about too many ballads and single choices. They did not just record a half-assed concept album. ETC. If this happened, I would imagine that Hagar and Nugent would want to involved AC/DC and would have moved their moment to after the AC/DC set to include them. I also doubt that Angus, or any other member of the band, would look at the Hagar/Nugent thing and think "THAT is the band I want to be in." and "quit the band" that night.

I also doubt VERY much that nearly as many people would have left during AC/DC. That is silly to believe.

DDY is not speaking "truth". He is repeating gossip from internet forums. If he really believed this at the time, he would have said it DECADES ago.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:26 am

Drop it Monk. It did happen that way, that night in Dallas. The announcement happened and people left. They left in droves long before Styx ever took the stage. I was there. I support current Styx to the hilt. I basically have no dog in the hunt. I support them both. Dennis didn’t lie, he’s recalling the event pretty much exactly how it happened. I couldn’t tell you why he waited so long to state these FACTS but he did. I was there and I witnessed it first hand with my ears & then with my eyes.

Your hatred towards all things DDY here is as legendary as some no longer here(Froy & Toph)had toward Tommy & JY.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:05 am

yogi wrote:Drop it Monk. It did happen that way, that night in Dallas. The announcement happened and people left. They left in droves long before Styx ever took the stage. I was there. I support current Styx to the hilt. I basically have no dog in the hunt. I support them both. Dennis didn’t lie, he’s recalling the event pretty much exactly how it happened. I couldn’t tell you why he waited so long to state these FACTS but he did. I was there and I witnessed it first hand with my ears & then with my eyes.

Your hatred towards all things DDY here is as legendary as some no longer here(Froy & Toph)had toward Tommy & JY.

And, other people who were there have also posted in this forum that agree with Tommy, Ted, and Sammy. So, it's not a "fact", you are simply posting your perspective. Your absolute failure to understand and accept that there are other perspectives on this tells more about your bias and attitude towards Dennis than anything that has to do with me. I did NOT say he was lying. Those are YOUR words, not mine. I said he is repeating internet gossip and is not speaking "truth".

The fact is that I am NOT insulting Dennis. You are simply denying the reality that yours is not the only view on this 40yr old incident.

Please stop projecting your insecurities onto me and saying I am saying and doing things that I am not.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:20 am

Tommy may have felt 100% this was the wrong concert for this crowd. He may have 100% felt we are gonna get killed here tonight @ the Cotton Bowl. I believe that. But what I am stating as FACT is 95% of the crowd that left got up and left within 5 minutes of the announcement that beer sales were stopped immediately. Styx was 30 minutes from ever taking the stage when that happened. There is no other perspective that any person with a working brain cell could have. It was as if for the thousands of people were looking at a fire in their homes and they had to get out. 3 or 4 of the people with us left immediately after the announcement. They planned on going to Rodney’s truck to sneak back in as much beer as possible. Couldn’t find the truck at first then they said they couldn’t get back in.

That’s exactly what happened. There is no other explanation for it.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:40 am

yogi wrote:Tommy may have felt 100% this was the wrong concert for this crowd. He may have 100% felt we are gonna get killed here tonight @ the Cotton Bowl. I believe that. But what I am stating as FACT is 95% of the crowd that left got up and left within 5 minutes of the announcement that beer sales were stopped immediately. Styx was 30 minutes from ever taking the stage when that happened. There is no other perspective that any person with a working brain cell could have. It was as if for the thousands of people were looking at a fire in their homes and they had to get out. 3 or 4 of the people with us left immediately after the announcement. They planned on going to Rodney’s truck to sneak back in as much beer as possible. Couldn’t find the truck at first then they said they couldn’t get back in.

That’s exactly what happened. There is no other explanation for it.

Sammy and Ted said differently. And, epressley writing at the bottom of the other thread said:

"From my perspective on the upper deck that day, some may have left prior to Styx (I have heard attendance was 53,000), but not thousands. It may have had to do with Styx, may not have. At least where I sat, many were chanting “bullshit” and booing during Styx’s set. I thought they were fantastic. As I remember, they didn’t do an encore.

Triumph, Ted, and Sammy killed that day, but Styx was damn good as well. There were 3 of us at that show and this is our recollection. I do not call in to question other folk’s memories."

So, you're wrong. You have an inability to accept the reality that other people who were also there have a different perspective and disagree with you. What you are posting, and DDY is repeating, is NOT FACT....and it is NOT just Tommy who is saying something different.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:57 am

I don't remember the upper deck but if epresley said not many left from the upper deck, I cant argue with that. We were all on the infield looking up at the stage. We were where all the crazy shit was going on all day. All I can say is what happened where I was for the majority of the shows. People poured out from the infield and many from the first deck left immediately after the beer sales being cut off announcement was made. A lot of those remaining on the first deck actually moved down to by where we were on the infield for the Styx show.

So are you trying to say Dennis Deyoung is repeating my perspective of Styx's Kilroy Was Here tour at the Texass Jam in Dallas. Now that's bullshit!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:11 am

yogi wrote: All I can say is what happened where I was for the majority of the shows.

Exactly. One perspective among thousands. That includes Tommy's, Sammy's, and Nugent's.

So are you trying to say Dennis Deyoung is repeating my perspective of Styx's Kilroy Was Here tour at the Texass Jam in Dallas. Now that's bullshit!

That is EXACTLY what he did. Yours, among others. He had 40yrs to talk about this...including many interviews after the BTM and he never talked about this until this interview.
Monker
MP3

Return to Styx