Mr. Roboto Doomed To Fail

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Mr. Roboto Doomed To Fail

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:59 pm

https://rockcelebrities.net/why-styxs-m ... d-to-fail/

JY
“Dennis was a strong-willed individual and had the most success as a writer and lead singer in the heyday. So when we were gonna go with his idea about this robot thing, I said, ‘We run the chance of really alienating our male audience.’ And Dennis turned down headlining the US Festival in 1982, which was a globally advertised event that offered us more money than we’d ever made in a live concert times three or four…In a power move, [Dennis] said, ‘I’m not gonna do it unless I get to do exactly what I want.’

I said, ‘I don’t believe in it, but you’ve led this band to this point, and I’ll back you on it.’ And it all went bad. It cut our album sales in half because the male audience was absolutely alienated by ‘Mr. Roboto.’ Not all of them, but a large chunk. And our concert tickets were down from sold-out arenas in 1981.”
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Mr. Roboto Doomed To Fail

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:24 pm

I agree with JY's assessment 100%. I did not like Roboto at all when it came out and I still dont. I also felt at the time and still do that Side 1 of the Kilroy album may be the worst Side 1 of ANY Styx album ever. Loved side 2 of that album and ABSOLUTELY loved the Kilroy concert. Like most concerts, The Kilroy Was Here concert was a greatest hits show. But it started with a movie, some live brief acting was added to the front & back end of the concert + the 4 - 5 songs from Kilroy album ties the concept together and makes that Styx show a unique and fantastic experience. It was GREAT!

Back to the DDY interview yesterday, why Cahil, Tommy & JY would just out and out lie about why the massive audience exodus at the Dallas portion of the Texas Jam LONG before Styx ever took the stage occurred will always mystify me. They flat out lied on the main & almost singular cause of this. Why not just say after playing with Gowan "we now realize we would rather just have him in the band" and leave it at that. Tommy very well may have told Sammy Hagar I hate what I'm doing now with Styx. I dont doubt that some form of that conversation occurred. Great, but to lie about why so many people exited that show long before Styx ever took the stage because of reasons that had nothing to do with the Styx concert that night was a flat out lie and it made Dennis look like shit, like those 3 knew it would. It was brutal what they did to a once friend and bandmate. They had the numbers on their side and they all lied their asses off about that show and why so many people left.

I was there and heard and saw what happened with my own eyes and have been saying that for 25 years.
Last edited by yogi on Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby yogi » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:44 pm

I’ll tell you one more thing about the Texxas Jam. The year before I went to my first Jam with a bunch of my JC baseball playing teammates. Journey was the headline act. It was my first time to see them, but I had been to dozens & dozens of rock concerts before. I was with a group of about 14 and for about 1/2 of them it was their first ever rock concert.

Same venue ( Cotton Bowl ) hot as hell on a Saturday. Not quite as hot as the Styx show and there was a breeze all day & night & the Styx show had 0 breeze. I may be wrong on this one part but I don’t think so, the Cotton Bowl also cut off beer sales after Santana finished their set. Santana was the last act to play B4 Journey. Neal Schon joined Santana for parts of their set. What for sure did happen was the venue didn’t announce over the loud speakers prior to Journey taking the stage that they were gonna enact the Texas Blue Laws and cut off beer sales immediately.

Anyway it wasn’t the same type of crowd at this Texxas Jam. A lot of people in this crowd were older Woodstock types and a lot of bikers. Once Santana finished their set I would bet 12 to 18 or 19 percent of the crowd left before Journey ever took the stage. These people came to see Santana plus some of the other earlier acts and had no interest in Journey. Journey appealed to the teens and people in their early 20’s.

That’s it and that for 100% sure also happened the year before Styx headlined the Texas Jam in Dallas.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:27 am

Yogi, nobody is calling you a liar. But, you seem Hell bent on calling Tommy and JY liars and refuse to understand that they could have seen things from a completely different perspective. They made their comments based on their perspective, not yours. Comparing this to the concert the year prior is completely irrelevant to what Tommy and JY said. However, stating you know what other concert goers were thinking and feeling, in either concert, as evidence of some point is very arrogant. You see people leaving and you assume all kinds of things. But, you don't KNOW. It's just a guess. It's just a guess on Tommy and JY's part, too. They didn't KNOW, all they knew was Sammy and Nugent put on a hell of a rock show and were probably (I am guessing) jealous and envious that they were not going to do that. So, they look out and hear people booing, maybe even during the Kilroy "movie"...and see thousands of people leaving. They assumed it was because of Kilroy, you assume it was because of beer.

I also find it a bit suspicious that it has taken Dennis 40yrs to tell this story. Only after people like you post it online does he pick up on it and run with it. If it were this obvious TO HIM, I would expect him to tell it in interviews right after the lawsuit...he didn't hold back much else that painted JY and Tommy as liars.

Finally arguing about comments about a concert from 40yrs ago and comments made in the BTM 20yrs ago is really fucking stupid. You have DDY who will most likely never tour again and has said he will not record any longer, and JY and Tommy who have completely moved on from Dennis and don't even talk to the guy any longer. This shit is just meaningless. Who is continuing to split the fan base? It seems to me it is Dennis, when he rambles on about things like this.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:39 pm

I’m pissed as hell that Dennis waited 22+ years to say EXACTLY why 90+ % of the people that left, left close to if not immediately after it was ANNOUNCED over the PA that because of the Texas Blue laws alcohol sales would stop immediately. The Blue Laws were not suppose to take effect for another 2 hours and most everyone that was from TX or had lived there long enough knew that. I guarantee even as far back as 83 there is video of the mass exodus immediately following the announcement. It’s kind of like if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it’s a fuc. King duck.

You can believe whatever you want Monk but that’s what happened 100%. I’ve stayed pretty damn neutral to both sides. But I know 100% Tommy, JY, Cahil and others who wanted Dennis permanently gone lied 100% about this to make him look like total shit in the eyes of you and so many others. I witnessed what happened with my own eyes. I watched and heard some of my own friends that I went to show with say something like fuc k this I’m going to the truck and bringing my beer back. They were in the middle of mass exodus, couldn’t find the trucks, then weren’t allowed back in. They were dead ass asleep when all the rest of us found them after the show.

Hell I’d probably be far more in your camp all these years if I didn’t know for 100% sure the part of the Behind The Music that made Dennis look so bad was totally false and made up by Dennis’s former bandmates. It was an out & out lie. 90 to 95% of the people that left the Dallas portion of the Texxas Jam left 20-35 minutes before the Styx headlining portion of the show ( The Movie) ever started. That’s close to 45 minutes to 1hour before the actual band took the stage.

Also as far as I know among all the diehards that have posted here I’m the ONLY one that has stated these facts over & over again starting with the day after the Behind The Music episode first aired.

I know Suite knows Dennis. I wish she would ask him why it took him so damn long to come out with this??? All Tommy and JY had to say was we like the band now far better than before. We appreciate Dennis massive past contributions. But we love our band now. We get to play the Styx music we like and have always wanted to play. We love being on the road and performing in front of our fans and the Styx you see now is the Styx we plan on bringing to your city as many times as possible in the future.

In no way should of they made Dennis look so bad and do it by using a total predicated flat out lie.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby LtVanish » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:40 am

it won't matter to these guys on here, they want the lie to be true because they do not like DDY. It doesn't matter if you present the truth or even prove the truth, they want the lie to be true and they believe the lie because its been said too long.

I hope Dennis doesn't ever perform with Styx again, Tommy and JY are not good people at all, that is proven.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:57 am

Ironic there is only one side calling ANYBODY liars. You are not just calling Tommy and JY liars, but also Ted Nugent and Sammy Hagar. I'm not saying one side or the other is 'truth'. But, that neither side is LYING. They are only expressing their perspective. They are not liars.

Sammy and Ted's comments:
https://soundcloud.com/stevehoffman/sam ... ak-up-styx
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:50 am

Couldn’t read the article Monk. I also stated I 100% agree after Tommy saw Hagar’s show with Emmett & Uncle Ted joining him for incredible jam fest of an encore he might have thought & publicly stated that he was done with the theatrical group Styx had become. I get that. That’s not what my point is. My point is for the 100th time is Tommy, JY & Cahil lied about what cause the mass exodus of rock fans at the Cotton Bowl version of the Texxas Jam. The droves of the majority of fans left because alcohol sales were stopped immediately with a PA announcement stating it minutes after Hagar & Co left the stage. They all left long before Styx’s movie rolled and the band Styx ever stepped foot on the stage. The vast vast majority of the 40,000 that stayed loved the show. The vast vast majority that left never even saw it. That’s not how the Behind The Music episode depicted it at all. That was because how Tommy, JY, etc painted the story and their narrative was a total made up lie.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:19 am

yogi wrote:Couldn’t read the article Monk. I also stated I 100% agree after Tommy saw Hagar’s show with Emmett & Uncle Ted joining him for incredible jam fest of an encore he might have thought & publicly stated that he was done with the theatrical group Styx had become. I get that. That’s not what my point is. My point is for the 100th time is Tommy, JY & Cahil lied about what cause the mass exodus of rock fans at the Cotton Bowl version of the Texxas Jam. The droves of the majority of fans left because alcohol sales were stopped immediately with a PA announcement stating it minutes after Hagar & Co left the stage. They all left long before Styx’s movie rolled and the band Styx ever stepped foot on the stage. The vast vast majority of the 40,000 that stayed loved the show. The vast vast majority that left never even saw it. That’s not how the Behind The Music episode depicted it at all. That was because how Tommy, JY, etc painted the story and their narrative was a total made up lie.

They are NOT lying. They are telling their perspective, which is different than yours. Yours agrees with Dennis. Theirs agrees with Sammy Hagar's and Ted Nugent's, as documented in the audio clip above. You are just unable to see it from any other perspective than your own. That says more about you and Dennis than it does about JY and Tommy. They must be lying because it disagrees with you, and you REFUSE to see any other perspective than an audience member with drunk friends. They are NOT lying. It is no more a "totally made up lie" than what your tale is. They are telling the truth from THEIR perspective, not yours.

You do NOT know why EVERYBODY left. Did you, or anybody, take an exit poll? Did you call 1000 people and ask? Did anybody? I doubt it very much. You have as much of a biased guess as they do...and, IMO, neither side of this is the "truth" but guesses based on perspective and biases. The only difference is you and Dennis have the arrogance to call a different perspective a lie.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:29 am

You are kidding right?? The vast vast majority that left, left long before Styx ever came out on stage. There absolutely no way to dispute that. If someone throws a match into a house @ 8:50pm & the house burns completely down from 8:55pm til 9:30pm and everyone can see it burning down at that time. You in no way can say the cause of the fire occurred at 9:50pm. Get real Monk.

When the BTM episode aired I had seen the “ New Styx” twice. Once with my wife 8.5 months pregnant with our daughter at The Far West Rodeo in San Antonio. I can’t remember where the other show was @. I totally loved them & supported them then like I do now. I don’t have some blind fuc king hate for a guy in a band that I don’t even know.

There is in no way anyway to dispute the facts that I know occurred at that concert. Cahil, Tommy & JY 100% lied about it. There was no other way to see it cause that’s exactly what happened.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:19 pm

yogi wrote:You are kidding right?? The vast vast majority that left, left long before Styx ever came out on stage. There absolutely no way to dispute that. If someone throws a match into a house @ 8:50pm & the house burns completely down from 8:55pm til 9:30pm and everyone can see it burning down at that time. You in no way can say the cause of the fire occurred at 9:50pm. Get real Monk.

When the BTM episode aired I had seen the “ New Styx” twice. Once with my wife 8.5 months pregnant with our daughter at The Far West Rodeo in San Antonio. I can’t remember where the other show was @. I totally loved them & supported them then like I do now. I don’t have some blind fuc king hate for a guy in a band that I don’t even know.

There is in no way anyway to dispute the facts that I know occurred at that concert. Cahil, Tommy & JY 100% lied about it. There was no other way to see it cause that’s exactly what happened.

You are so far off.

Let's say you meet John and he says the 2020 election was stolen...Because Sydney Powell, Giuliani, FOX News, etc. all say it was. So, he says it was stolen from Donald Trump. But, you believe there was absolutely no evidence that anything like that happened. Giuliani and Powell talked a lot but showed no evidence. FOX just said whatever Trump's MAGA crowd wanted them to say. So, you say it wasn't stolen. NEITHER of you are lying...because you both have reasons to believe what you believe.

You may not like or AGREE with WHY Tommy, JY, Sammy and Ted believe what they believe...but that doesn't make them liars.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 pm

Difference is I have no agenda, and I’m impartial. I witnessed what happened with my own ears and eyes. You are not in the least bit impartial. For whatever reasons you hate DDY. & You have an agenda to smear DDY as does everyone you mentioned especially Cahil, Tommy & JY. JY and Tommy’s + others agenda made them a fortune. For others it made them look kind of cool.

I just told the truth as to what actually happened and when the vast majority of the crowd left & they left long before Styx ever took the stage
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby LtVanish » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:36 pm

Monker guy has just proven my point perfectly. I'm sure he believes all the lies from politicians he aligns himself with too. I'm with Yogi, I've always been impartial, same way politically as well, I can't stand people that tell lies like this. It may seem like I'm in the DDY camp, but the reality is I support Dennis because his story has never changed from the start. It has been proven that Tommy and JY story has changed and inconsistant. I first realized this when I read Sterlings book.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:08 am

yogi wrote:Difference is I have no agenda, and I’m impartial. I witnessed what happened with my own ears and eyes. You are not in the least bit impartial. For whatever reasons you hate DDY. & You have an agenda to smear DDY as does everyone you mentioned especially Cahil, Tommy & JY. JY and Tommy’s + others agenda made them a fortune. For others it made them look kind of cool.

I just told the truth as to what actually happened and when the vast majority of the crowd left & they left long before Styx ever took the stage

Having an "agenda" is irrelevant. You being impartial is irrelevant. My thoughts and feelings toward Dennis are irrelevant. It all adds up to an ad hominem attack against me because you really can't argue against them having a different perspective and are also telling the truth from that perspective. This grand conspiracy of an "agenda" is really a bit odd but is also irrelevant. People are simply telling the truth from their own perspective, nobody is lying or trying to advance an agenda.

When over 50% of the crowd at a huge stadium leaves, there is NO WAY you, nor anybody else, can read their minds and KNOW for a FACT why each of them left. It's impossible. You do not have a monopoly on the truth and can demand what is an undisputed FACT. No matter how much you believe differently, yours is just one perspective. There are others, and they are not lying any more than you are.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:13 am

LtVanish wrote:Monker guy has just proven my point perfectly. I'm sure he believes all the lies from politicians he aligns himself with too.

If anybody wants to find out, they can go the "Snowballs For the Sahara" topic and choose a Biden thread and challenge me there.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:24 am

Ok Monk so a house burns completely to the ground after it’s announced they are throwing a match into that house and you witness the match going into the house and you see the drapes on fire and the house smoldering. You want to say the house burnt down 30- 45 minutes later from some other cause after you’ve seen the house fall.

& having a agenda means you will lie or tell half truths to benefit you, some sort of cause or to make someone or something look like absolute shit so it benefits you in some way. That’s exactly what happened in this case.

Finally, no one wants to challenge you Monk. You are one of those guys that knows everything on every topic. In this case I know 100% you are wrong. I experienced that entire day. It started at around 7am when we left in two pickups & Datsun B210 from the parking lot of Rotary dorm on the campus of Centenary College in Shreveport. From there around 9:45 - 10:15 am we met up with two more pickups in the parking lot of the Cotton Bowl. They arrived from Paris & Henderson, TX. We drank Coors, Coors Light & Lone Star beer and grilled brats, hot dogs & burgers in the scorching heat of the Cotton Bowl parking lot. We had 4 iced down coolers of beer and shared some with some guys from ETBU and some choir girls from TCU. By noon it was close to 90 degrees with 0 wind. We entered the Cotton Bowl around 1:30pm and we all got on the infield and kept moving closer to the stage. Right B4 Triumph came on around 6pm it had to be 100 plus degrees with no breeze and most the women’s restrooms were not working. One of my teammates from Fort Smith AK was the biggest Triumph fan alive at the time. Rodney didn’t care much at all for Styx but stayed & didn’t go out to his truck to try to sneak beer back in after the announcement. He loved the show. Had never seen anything like it but still hated when we’d play Styx in the dorm or in our vehicles b4 & after that. I had my first of 4 Budwisers around that time…………….

Today, I can’t remember exactly where my two kids bedrooms are located in a 2500 square foot home now. But I can remember both of the Texxas Jams I attended pretty much down to the last detail.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:48 am

yogi wrote:Ok Monk so a house burns completely to the ground after it’s announced they are throwing a match into that house and you witness the match going into the house and you see the drapes on fire and the house smoldering. You want to say the house burnt down 30- 45 minutes later from some other cause after you’ve seen the house fall.

I'm not saying anything at all. There are five people in the house who are saying that Bob left the oven on and that is why the house burned down. They saw one thing, you saw another. Neither are lies.

& having a agenda means you will lie or tell half truths to benefit you

I am not lying or telling half truths. I am saying nobody is doing any of that. YOU are the one calling people liars. YOU are now making up weird conspiracy theories to make ad-hominem attacks. YOU are insisting that only your perspective is valid and everything else is a lie. YOU doing all of this. All I am doing is saying a different perspective is NOT A LIE.

some sort of cause or to make someone or something look like absolute shit so it benefits you in some way. That’s exactly what happened in this case.

LOL....it doesn't benefit me at all. You are making shit up now.

Finally, no one wants to challenge you Monk. You are one of those guys that knows everything on every topic.

LOL...I'm not saying you are wrong. I am saying Tommy Shaw, JY, Cahill, Sammy Hagar, and Ted Nugent are telling their perspective and not lying. YOU are the one who is calling anyone who does not agree with you a liar.

In this case I know 100% you are wrong.

I am not wrong that Tommy Shaw, JY, Cahill, Sammy Hagar, and Ted Nugent are NOT lying. They are just telling their perspective, and you can't accept that.

I experienced that entire day.

So did Tommy Shaw, Ted Nugent, Cahill, Sammy Hagar and Ted Nugent. Their story is no less valid than yours.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:34 pm

They ALL know that the vast vast vast majority of the people that left the Cotton Bowl that night left long before Styx ever took the stage.

Oh and Monk I’m not saying any of this benefits you ( well maybe a little) I’m saying that it benefited Tommy, JY, Cahil and in some ways Sammy & Ted I guess. Tommy and the rest used that story to make the guy they kicked out of the band look like shit. Monetarily they gained hugely. It took years of hard hard work post Dennis but they got rid of him worked their asses off post DDY and are going strong today. In the process they made him look like the bad guy on a totally false narrative. Sammy & Ted + maybe Rik he was up there with them for the Zep encore ( although he never made the claim) get to take credit thru this false narrative that they ended Styx as people knew them back then. I actually wonder if they heard the Blue Laws announcement??? That I’ll never know. But I do know Tommy, JY & management ( Cahil) know that that the vast vast majority of the people there that left, left right after the public announcement of beer sales being halted & long B4 Styx took the stage. Tommy & JY never never witnessed the mass exodus while playing Styx’s concert that night from the stage. If they saw it at all it was backstage B4 they ever came on. That’s when it happened.

Maybe you benefit a little from it to. How you might benefit is that you have a twisted hatred toward Dennis. Maybe partly from the BTM episode. I don’t know or care why you do. You always want to be right, but you are far wrong on this one
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 pm

Another argument. Groundhog day.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:26 am

yogi wrote:They ALL know that the vast vast vast majority of the people that left the Cotton Bowl that night left long before Styx ever took the stage.

Oh and Monk I’m not saying any of this benefits you ( well maybe a little) I’m saying that it benefited Tommy, JY, Cahil and in some ways Sammy & Ted I guess. Tommy and the rest used that story to make the guy they kicked out of the band look like shit. Monetarily they gained hugely. It took years of hard hard work post Dennis but they got rid of him worked their asses off post DDY and are going strong today. In the process they made him look like the bad guy on a totally false narrative. Sammy & Ted + maybe Rik he was up there with them for the Zep encore ( although he never made the claim) get to take credit thru this false narrative that they ended Styx as people knew them back then. I actually wonder if they heard the Blue Laws announcement??? That I’ll never know. But I do know Tommy, JY & management ( Cahil) know that that the vast vast majority of the people there that left, left right after the public announcement of beer sales being halted & long B4 Styx took the stage. Tommy & JY never never witnessed the mass exodus while playing Styx’s concert that night from the stage. If they saw it at all it was backstage B4 they ever came on. That’s when it happened.

Maybe you benefit a little from it to. How you might benefit is that you have a twisted hatred toward Dennis. Maybe partly from the BTM episode. I don’t know or care why you do. You always want to be right, but you are far wrong on this one

Well, that's a change to what you originally posted.

"I actually wonder if they heard the Blue Laws announcement??? That I’ll never know."

THAT is exactly my point. They ALL have a different perspective than you do. That does NOT make them LIARS.

"Sammy & Ted + maybe Rik he was up there with them for the Zep encore ( although he never made the claim) get to take credit thru this false narrative that they ended Styx as people knew them back then."

This came up because Tommy told Sammy that he "quit Styx that night." That he wanted to be in a band like THAT, not a band doing a rock play...and he later was, with Damn Yankees. So, "breaking up Styx" has NOTHING to do with what was said on the BTM...you are making things up again. But, that is only PART of what they (Ted and Sammy) said. They said 60% of the crowd left because they didn't want to lose the high they were on after Ted joined Sammy for "Whole Lotta Love". But, that disagrees with YOUR perspective, so they are liars, blah, blah, blah.

You can't accept any other perspective than your own. EVERYBODY else is lying.

This has NOTHING to do with Dennis DeYoung. It has to do with YOU calling people liars who simply have a different perspective.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:05 am

I’ve never changed my story not one time since the day after the BTM first aired. The vast vast vast majority of the people left 5-10 minutes after the Blue Laws announcement / halting beer sales immediately was made. This public announcement happened about 5-10 minutes after Sammy, Ted, Rik and Sammys band left the stage. That was at least 30-45 minutes before the Styx movie started rolling & and another 10-12 minutes before the band Styx ever took the stage. That’s what I’ve always said.

Also in no way not even close did 60% of the people leave the Cotton Bowl. My guesstimate is 25 to 30%. It was a lot more than the previous year after Santana finished their set & B4 Journey came on. The crowds were similar 60,000- 65,000, the days were similar - HEAT (it was scorching hot both shows) biggest differences were no breeze at Styx Jam VS good breeze @ Journey Jam. Older crowd @ Journey Jam ( many left after Santana played), good restroom flow @ Journey Jam, horrible at Styx jam AND the BLUE LAW public announcement minutes after Sammy closed. No announcement was made @ the Journey Jam but I do believe right when Journey started most of the Budweiser beer stands closed.

The exit of the fans occurred long before Styx ever hit the stage. That’s not at all what was shown or insinuated on the Behind The Music episode. It showed droves of people booing and leaving as Styx played, With Cahil, Tommy & JY making it out to be exactly that. And that in no way shape or form ever happened.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:04 am

yogi wrote:I’ve never changed my story not one time since the day after the BTM first aired. The vast vast vast majority of the people left 5-10 minutes after the Blue Laws announcement / halting beer sales immediately was made. This public announcement happened about 5-10 minutes after Sammy, Ted, Rik and Sammys band left the stage. That was at least 30-45 minutes before the Styx movie started rolling & and another 10-12 minutes before the band Styx ever took the stage. That’s what I’ve always said.

So what. I never called you a liar. You are the one calling everybody a liar.

Also in no way not even close did 60% of the people leave the Cotton Bowl. My guesstimate is 25 to 30%.

Ted Nugent disagree with you.

The exit of the fans occurred long before Styx ever hit the stage. That’s not at all what was shown or insinuated on the Behind The Music episode. It showed droves of people booing and leaving as Styx played, With Cahil, Tommy & JY making it out to be exactly that. And that in no way shape or form ever happened.

That is your perspective. There are others. And, NOBODY is lying.
Monker
MP3

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:21 am

Don’t you lot ever get bored of Dennis Vs Styx arguments?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Cassie May » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:30 pm

Andrew wrote:Don’t you lot ever get bored of Dennis Vs Styx arguments?

GOD, YES.

Yogi, please. Give it up. So a bunch of people left the show before Styx came on. There is no way in hell you or anyone else can possibly know why they left unless someone did an exit poll, which they did not. You are simply assuming that they ALL left because the beer was shut off. Since you cannot know with certainty why they left, you are expressing your OPINION. Does that make you a LIAR?

Tommy, JY, and Jim Cahill spent the day watching a bunch of drunk Texans partying and rocking to all the acts before them. They were backstage, waiting to go on, and they see a bunch of people leave. The natural assumption they would make was that folks were leaving because they didn't want to see Styx and a Broadway play. So, they expressed their OPINIONS. They are not LIARS. Furthermore, it was a concert 40 YEARS ago. What does it matter? It only matters to you. Give it up!

I am sick to death of the never ending war. It's over! Styx has rebuilt itself into a band that enjoys being together, playing together, and recording together.They have past fans and new generations of fans who continue to support them. Be grateful they have emerged as well as they have. You want to see a band imploding, check out the Journey board. What a mess.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:55 pm

Cassie- I love current Styx. Have from day 1 and have supported them from day 1. Have seen them live 12 or 13 times post DDY and saw them this past summer with Loverboy (didn’t play COVID) & REO. They were GREAT! The Mission & Crash Of The Crown are two of Styx best albums EVER albums IMO.

With that said I was there and know why the vast majority of the people left. Can I prove it, hell no. Did they leave as depicted on the BTM episode & how Cahil, Tommy & JY said they did hell hell no. The film clip they showed why those 3 talked about the Cotton Bowl & then the Houston show the next night showed droves of fans booing & leaving while Styx was playing. As I’ve stated and it’s a fact the vast vast vast majority left just like some of my friends left long before Styx ever took the stage and minutes after the public announcement that beer sales would be halted immediately.

That’s what happened
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:48 am

yogi wrote:That’s what happened

According to YOU from an audience perspective.

According to Sammy and Ted, they put on a hell of a rock show: Nugent jumping over the drum riser, going directly into the first chords to "Whole Lotta Love". Sammy going nuts on stage, blowing up his amp and destroying his guitar. Sounds to me like they should have been the ones to end the concert. But, according to Ted and Sammy, the audience was on this immense high from what they just saw and started leaving because they didn't want to lose it by watching some kinda rock play. 60% of the audience left, according to Ted. Later, Tommy told Sammy he quit Styx that night because he wanted to be in a band like that...and later was, in Damn Yankees.

According to JY and Tommy, after Sammy and Ted, the audience started leaving because they didn't want to see Roboto. How the BTM was EDITED is MTV's fault, not JY and Tommy's. They saw all of these people leaving and, IMO, were absolutely embarrassed to have to follow Sammy and Ted with a movie and the band acting before they even played a song.

So, there are THREE different perspectives on this. Yours from the audience, Sammy and Ted from the stage of the band performing before Styx, and Tommy and JY from backstage. They are all different stories....and NONE of them are lying.

If Tommy, JY, Ted and Sammy came on here and said YOU were lying, I would be saying these same things. To me, this has nothing to do with Dennis vs Styx....but YOU vs Tommy, JY, Ted and Sammy, and calling them liars.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 am

Ill give you something Monk it absolutely could of been the MTV editing. Behind The Music showed Styx playing as the crowd booed like crazy and droves of people leaving while Cahil, Tommy & JY talked about all of the people booing & leaving as they played. All I know is the droves of people leaving, directly corresponded with the TX Blue Laws announcement saying beer sales would be shut down immediately. Styx was 40 minutes + from ever taking the stage at that point.

I will say the year before under very similar circumstances - hot as hell ( minus public announcement of beer sales being cut off) thousands of people left right after Santana finished their set & B4 Journey ever took the stage. It was an older crowd though.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby epresley » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:34 am

From my perspective on the upper deck that day, some may have left prior to Styx (I have heard attendance was 53,000), but not thousands. It may have had to do with Styx, may not have. At least where I sat, many were chanting “bullshit” and booing during Styx’s set. I thought they were fantastic. As I remember, they didn’t do an encore.

Triumph, Ted, and Sammy killed that day, but Styx was damn good as well. There were 3 of us at that show and this is our recollection. I do not call in to question other folk’s memories.
It's not a lie, if you believe it..........
epresley
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx