Ricky Philips is departing Styx

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Ricky Philips is departing Styx

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:41 am

I don't know if this means immediately or if a replacement has already been planned to take over.. They don't have a ton of shows coming up - but there's a new album and summer tour on the horizon.

Thanks for everything Ricky!

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.phillips ... WDcXVLxtml
StyxGuy
LP

Re: Ricky Philips is departing Styx

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:50 pm

I think this has been planned for a while but just now announced. Good luck to Ricky, he was a great asset to the band! Could Glen return??
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:18 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:I think this has been planned for a while but just now announced. Good luck to Ricky, he was a great asset to the band! Could Glen return??

After looking at Glen’s schedule I highly doubt he will be returning to Styx. If the new album is completed, I would assume Ricky played bass on it.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Pelata » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:29 am

Bands like this have a plan. I'm sure they've known Ricky's intentions and have already planned/trained his replacement.

Kansas did that with Ronnie Platt.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:46 am

Styx will be playing tomorrow night in Connecticut. Who will be playing bass? We’ll know soon.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:47 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Styx will be playing tomorrow night in Connecticut. Who will be playing bass? We’ll know soon.

Someone is claiming they know and that it's going to be Lawrence's brother, Terence.

I guess we'll find out once someone reports from the show or Styx posts about it!
StyxGuy
LP

Postby yogi » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 am

Can Will play bass? That’s my guess who Will replace Ricky.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:18 am

How about Jack Blades?
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:19 am

Any word on who's playing bass? - The band's playing in Connecticut right now.
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:29 am

Welcome Terrance Gowan to the Styx family!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Welcome Terrance Gowan to the Styx family!

From the Panozzo brothers to the Gowan brothers!

Do we know, yet, if he's temporary or permanent?
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:34 am

RumTumJM wrote:

My guess is it’s temporary because they’ve made zero statements about it.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:07 am

Archetype wrote:
RumTumJM wrote:

My guess is it’s temporary because they’ve made zero statements about it.

Maybe they just want to see how he fits in before making it permanent. Or, maybe they are looking at Glen and giving him some time to free up his schedule after the tour.

BTW, if something happens to Todd Jensen in Journey, Ricky could join Journey. Then they could tour with John Waite and have a Bad English reunion.
Monker
MP3

Postby LtVanish » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 pm

Replacement player replacements now, amazing! These bands will live on long after all the originals are dead and gone. Will Evankovich's Styx coming to a city near you soon! They really should treat these bands like brand names or teams to play for, that way they can live on forever. KISS is definatly designed for this, I'm suprised they are not treating that band in that manner.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 am

LtVanish wrote:Replacement player replacements now, amazing! These bands will live on long after all the originals are dead and gone. Will Evankovich's Styx coming to a city near you soon! They really should treat these bands like brand names or teams to play for, that way they can live on forever. KISS is definatly designed for this, I'm suprised they are not treating that band in that manner.

I mean "Styx" is just a trademark owned by a corporation of shareholders ;)
StyxGuy
LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:59 pm

LtVanish wrote:Replacement player replacements now, amazing! These bands will live on long after all the originals are dead and gone. Will Evankovich's Styx coming to a city near you soon! They really should treat these bands like brand names or teams to play for, that way they can live on forever. KISS is definatly designed for this, I'm suprised they are not treating that band in that manner.

The difference here is that the original bass player is still part of the band and preforms with them regularly. Of all the bands from that time, Styx still has 3 of the 5 classic lineup members on stage. That is better than most if not all of the other bands.

Journey has 2
Foreigner has 0
Kansas has 1
Boston has 1
Kiss has 2
Eagles have 2 (I don’t count Timothy)

Anyone like to add to the list?
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Pelata » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:13 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Eagles have 2 (I don’t count Timothy)

Who other than Henley is original for Eagles?
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:49 am

Little River Band has 0.
Chicago has 3, I think
Yes has 1, but they have constantly changed members
Def Leppard has 4...and Vivian Campbell has been with them since the 90's.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm

Pelata wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Eagles have 2 (I don’t count Timothy)

Who other than Henley is original for Eagles?

I was counting Joe Walsh because he was on 2 of their biggest albums even though he’s not an original member. Just as Tommy was not an original member of Styx.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:32 pm

It would be nice to see Chuck just play bass on entire shows for a whole tour. I think he is capable of doing so, I think it's kinda tacky how they just wheel him out for 3 songs every show and have been for over 20 years now. I wonder if Ricky Philips really left because he is tired of touring or if he was fired. Maybe he had to take a pay cut because of the addition of Will Evanowich on the roster, and said enough of this.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Pelata » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 pm

LtVanish wrote:It would be nice to see Chuck just play bass on entire shows for a whole tour. I think he is capable of doing so, I think it's kinda tacky how they just wheel him out for 3 songs every show and have been for over 20 years now. I wonder if Ricky Philips really left because he is tired of touring or if he was fired. Maybe he had to take a pay cut because of the addition of Will Evanowich on the roster, and said enough of this.

Or maybe he's 72 and has other shit he wants to do.
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Postby Jodes » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:52 am

LtVanish wrote:It would be nice to see Chuck just play bass on entire shows for a whole tour. I think he is capable of doing so, I think it's kinda tacky how they just wheel him out for 3 songs every show and have been for over 20 years now. I wonder if Ricky Philips really left because he is tired of touring or if he was fired. Maybe he had to take a pay cut because of the addition of Will Evanowich on the roster, and said enough of this.

Wow. Reaching much?

We get it. YOU HATE post DDY Styx and are critical about every little thing since 99. As for Ricky, the guy has been on the road pretty much constantly for FIFTY YEARS, God Forbid he wants to stay home!
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:26 pm

Jodes wrote:

Wow. Reaching much?

We get it. YOU HATE post DDY Styx and are critical about every little thing since 99. As for Ricky, the guy has been on the road pretty much constantly for FIFTY YEARS, God Forbid he wants to stay home!

Just wishful thinking that Chuck could do a whole tour, I like seeing Chuck up on stage. As for Ricky I'm just asking questions, I'm a fan, I think he was a great addition to Styx, and I am sorry to see him go. I've been a supporter for the current Styx all these years, probably seen seem live 30 times over the course of the last 25 years since the split. I'll always want a classic lineup reunion, but this is the only place around to talk about it. I like the current lineup and I still buy the records. I guess I forget sometimes how old these guys are, DDY now 77 years old is crazy, I understand that maybe he is retired, it makes me sad. My own age makes me sad. I never realized Ricky was as old as he is, he looks great for his age, obviously takes good care of himself. All the best, I look up to these guys a lot, music heroes to me all of them, and I forget that they are all just people sometimes. Cheers
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:42 am

They are all NOT just people.

They are STYX!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Return to Styx