Tommy is Wrong

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Tommy is Wrong

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:08 am

In Tommy's recent "Hello Friends" post he says:

Also Universal will be releasing 5 vintage STYX videos on DVD in April, including one that played in the first hour of MTV's maiden broadcast-- "Too Much Time."

Sorry Tommy boy, but I did my homework and the very first Styx video to be played on MTV was "Rockin' The Paradise" on MTV's maiden broadcast.

It was the 10th video played that first day, waaaaaaaay back on August 1, 1981. :)
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Re: Tommy is Wrong

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:37 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:In Tommy's recent "Hello Friends" post he says:

Also Universal will be releasing 5 vintage STYX videos on DVD in April, including one that played in the first hour of MTV's maiden broadcast-- "Too Much Time."

Sorry Tommy boy, but I did my homework and the very first Styx video to be played on MTV was "Rockin' The Paradise" on MTV's maiden broadcast.

It was the 10th video played that first day, waaaaaaaay back on August 1, 1981. :)

Even if you are right, how does this make Tommy wrong...

Tell me, what was the 11th and 12th and 13th video played?

What difference does this make anyway?
Monker
MP3

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:05 am

Monker, I'm just having a little fun, it really doesn't make a difference. I didn't mean to upset you :o

Tommy was wrong in saying "Too Much Time On My Hands" was played on the first day of MTV and the first Styx video played. It was actually "Rockin' The Paradise". "Too Much Time..." came later.

Here are the next songs that were played that first day on MTV. It brings back a lot of memories when MTV played music videos :)

11. Robin Lane & The Chartbusters - When Things Go Wrong
12. Split Enz - History Never Repeats
13. .38 Special - Hold on Loosely
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:25 am

in all fairness... he didn't say that "Too Much Time" played first - he said it played in the first hour.

Frankly - I don't care. I'm just tired of the pimping of Styx. Release things we don't have and that we want and maybe I'll buy it. Don't repackage left-overs, put a new cover on them and then try to tell us about "OMFG HOW COOL" it is... you're insulting my intelligence.
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:51 am

Kind of like what Dennis is doing with 'The Grand Illusion' wouldnt you say Ash??

Suite Madam,did you know.... You were given props yesterday in the Styxworld message boards under the General Discussion topics. They were quoting and thanking you for your GREAT research on unreleased Styx songs. Currently there are 581 registered members ( paying ) on this site. Many, Many , Many post over there. Waaay more than here. The current Styx is loved by all over there but what is amazing is that Dennis is almost ALWAYS praised for his contribution as a founding member of Styx. He isnt ripped at all, he is almost always praised for his true genius, and what he meant to Styx.

From what I have read the unreleased Styx material outside of Unfinished Song all revolves around a Styx group that was made up of Dennis, JY, Glen, Chuck, and John. Dennis pretty much had TOTAL control of the group then correct?? If any one person is holding up the release of these songs I would think it is Dennis. Tommy, and Todd were not around when these Styx songs were recorded.

Lastly, did Heavy Metal Poisioning ever air as a video on MTV??? I purchased a Styx video collection years ago off of E-bay. This collection has the video for Heavy Metal Poisioning. It is a very good well done, and entertaining video. I watched MTV back then, but I never saw it.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:15 am

Not really sure what you mean Yogi. Nothing Dennis has released is called "The Grand Illusion" and he never has released a live album with an orchestra or his solo music - so I do not consider it a rehashing. If Styx did something similar (with the orchestra and played classics), I wouldn't call that a rehash either. Of course, I'd still not likely buy it.

Bands leave some songs unreleased for various reasons. Sometimes the guys in the band don't like how the song came out on tape therefore they want it to be unreleased. Kinda like that photo of you when you were 5 years old... it may be cute to you and your family - but it's not something you want thousands of people looking at because you're not at your best. Artists have every right to maintain control over their creations. If they wish to share them, then they will - if not, then that should be respected. Nobody has a "right" to a recording from any band ... just because something exists, doesn't mean just anyone can release it nor does it mean you have the right to hear it.

If Dennis doesn't want songs out he doesn't feel are a reflection of the kind of artistry he wants to put out, then that is his right. Tommy and JY can released all the rejected songs from Cyclorama they want - but they should leave the decision on Dennis unreleased work up to Dennis.

Not sure if it ever appeared on MTV (the video).... It was... interesting though :)
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby ek88 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:18 am

Hey, speaking of old Styx videos, what's up with John Panozzo and what appears to be Navy whites that he's wearing? Could some of you older Styx fans help me out? Just curious. Thanks!
ek88
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:37 am

Yes, Heavy Metal Poisoning was part of the MTV rotation. I read that it was on Head Bangers Ball, not sure if it was only played then. I don't have the exact dates.

Yogi, I don't know if you're being sarcastic about the postings on the "paying" Styxboard. It wasn't GREAT research that I found, anyone can find that information :o Just have to know where to look. Which name did was used for me? I go by so many names - LOL I'm JOKING.

As for unreleased Styx songs. I think it depends on how the contract was written during that time period when these unreleased songs were recorded. If the songs would be released, it would depend on a songwriting decision or a band decision. Styx went through a few contract changes through the years. Hey, read the book :wink:
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby GaryS » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:58 am

You what else Tommy was wrong about? He was wrong about the Rockers cd having an old edit unedited. He said on the styxworld site that the Man in the Wilderness solo was restored to it's original length that had been edited during the mixing of Grand Illusion. It was not restored. I think that is not misleading...I think it is scummy. A lie. Not cool.
GaryS
Ol' 78

Postby styxfanNH » Mon May 03, 2004 6:36 am

Ash wrote:Not really sure what you mean Yogi. Nothing Dennis has released is called "The Grand Illusion" and he never has released a live album with an orchestra or his solo music

Not True, visit DDY's web site http://dennisdeyoung.com/
styxfanNH
Stereo LP

Postby Ash » Mon May 03, 2004 2:09 pm

Perhaps I should have clarified. The current orchestra album is the first live album release he has ever done. It's not the third or fourth rehashed greatest hits nor is it his 3rd live album in the last 3 years (roughly).

sorry for the confusion
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby styxfanNH » Mon May 03, 2004 11:03 pm

all set. sometimes when posting we mean one thing and it doesn't come out the same way it was intended.

As to the continual greatest hits releases, i have had enuff too. Would much rather have them put their energy into new music. It would be great if both Dennis and the current lineup would put their talents to some sort of work.
styxfanNH
Stereo LP

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon May 03, 2004 11:08 pm

FYI - After this tour which should end at the end of May and start up a new one in Fall, Dennis hopefully will be completing a new cd. All with new songs. I read in one of his recent interviews that he has 5-9 songs completed. :D

I heard Carrot Styx will be in the studio sometime soon, I would think after the summer tour.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Ash » Tue May 04, 2004 3:25 am

I heard the name of the next Carot Styx record is going to be something like "Blue Collar Old Men"..... with a blues, reggae, hip-hop, big band, jazz and death metal versions of BCM.

only a rumor tho
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby ek88 » Tue May 04, 2004 5:15 am

Suite,
If Carrot Styx puts out another CD of new material, will you still refer to them as Carrot Styx, or will the nickname change as the cover art dictates? Just curious! :lol:
ek88
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Tue May 04, 2004 6:44 am

Ek, yes, it will depend on the artwork of the cover and how crabby/bitter I'll be when it comes out - LOL I think the name "Carrot Styx" is kind of cute, I didn't want to be too harsh or mean :) I don't feel comfortable calling the current line up "Styx", or at least not today.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby bugsymalone » Tue May 04, 2004 9:01 am

I don't feel comfortable calling the current line up "Styx", or at least not today.

Or, in my case, ANY day.

Bugsy
bugsymalone
Stereo LP

Re: Tommy is Wrong

Postby Abitaman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:22 am

What's his name rewriting history again...sorry I could not resist.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Styx