Cameron Barton

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Cameron Barton

Postby Slander » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 am

It's been years since I have been on this board. At least it feels like it. Wow, do I miss the passion for this band, and the interest all of us once had. I remember the legendary debates we all used to have throughout the mid to late 2000's. Having said that, I recently had a chance to see Survivor and skipped it. Years ago, I would have driven hundreds of miles to hear them or just to see Frankie's guitar solo for "Caught In The Game." Has anyone seen them recently? Did I make a mistake missing Cameron Barton? Is he any good? This whole thing is a damn shame to me. I saw recently, where Joe Vana talked about a whole Survivor album that never saw the light of day. I can't think what might have been and how history will treat Survivor in the end. Thoughts? Or is it even worth your time?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Re: Cameron Barton

Postby Mikele » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:11 pm

slander, i feel you, judge for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGGDFV4uInI
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby ScarabGator » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:43 am

Maybe its the video quality but Frankie's guitar seems a bit overpowering to Cameron's vocals. However, Ive seen several videos with Cameron and it seems hes getting better...this isnt half bad.
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby BARON BLOOD » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 am

At this point I wouldn't take a 5 minute walk to go see them.......lol !
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Postby Mikele » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm

At this point, I don't even question the line-up anymore, nor the live performances...if people dig it, then be it. Haven't been there to witness it with my own eyes so I'll pass judgement.
What I really question is the total absence of Survivor music and related products for the fans. No new music, no dvds, no live albums from the glorious past, no whatsoever project...that's the worse way to maintain a legacy, I'm so upset FS doesn't seem to care
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby DavidWT » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 pm

At this point, it's really just a Survivor cover band that plays a few gigs a year. It's hard to work up any enthusiasm for it. I know people have talked about how great it would be if Jim Peterik teamed up with Dave and Marc to record a new album, but after hearing some of Jim's solo work, I'm afraid the cheese factor would be off the charts. He's great at writing catchy hooks, but I think Frankie was needed to reel in some of the cheese, and since Frankie has zero interest, that's not going to happen. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
DavidWT
LP

Postby Mikele » Wed May 09, 2018 4:48 pm

"Too hot to sleep" live from last weekend fest (found on YT):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgPG7FLpTg

For what I can hear, good performance from Cameron. With his register, they should play the whole 1988 album
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:32 pm

What's up Slander!

Well, if you missed the concert you can at least catch the latest court briefing!

I saw the latest incarnation of the Sullivor a couple of years ago...Set list was good and they sounded like a descent enough Survivor cover band...Just not the same to me and Sullivan is such an asshole. Also, same ole deal where he had his guitars wide open blaring and overplayed every note to the point of ruining the show....typical Sullivan ego stuff.

At this point, if they played in my back yard, I'll call the police and file a noise complaint.

Hope you are doing well.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Mikele wrote:At this point, I don't even question the line-up anymore, nor the live performances...if people dig it, then be it. Haven't been there to witness it with my own eyes so I'll pass judgement.
What I really question is the total absence of Survivor music and related products for the fans. No new music, no dvds, no live albums from the glorious past, no whatsoever project...that's the worse way to maintain a legacy, I'm so upset FS doesn't seem to care

Maybe when he gets finished with his lifetime of litigation, Sullivan will let us have something we might enjoy. Unlikely.
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby jaxmanjoe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:29 am

So, video was taken off YouTube for copyright violation by Frankie...guess he doesn't like the free promotion seeing as how his promotion machine is such a juggernaut.
Jaxmanjoe
jaxmanjoe
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:43 am

jaxmanjoe wrote:So, video was taken off YouTube for copyright violation by Frankie...guess he doesn't like the free promotion seeing as how his promotion machine is such a juggernaut.

Well, if anything this might be proof that FS or someone in the camp still reads this board...

I actually thought the performance on that video was good, and was nice to hear such a an underrated gem from their catalog
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:51 am

That's awesome! Well whomever it is that reads it and reports back, make sure to let them know we all think Frankie is a big asshole!
Eyeof
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:14 am

Survivor died years ago.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby BARON BLOOD » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:05 am

I'm not saying it's a bad cover band of Survivor songs....so if you wanna hear some good songs at your local county fair then go for it......but seriously how can they still call themselves SURVIVOR !?!?!.....that's insulting........
BARON BLOOD
Ol' 78

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)