Is Survivor Officially Done?

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Is Survivor Officially Done?

Postby Slander » Thu May 05, 2022 9:47 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Survivor is officially over? I've looked for concert dates. Nada! Survivor hasn't updated its fb page since Thanksgiving 21. Cameron Barton, Billy O and Chris Grove are all playing live. Meanwhile Frankie is waxing poetic about songwriting on Instagram.

I wish Peterik, Bickler, and Droubay would reunite just one time, but it won't happen. This thing we loved sure ended with a fizzle, didn't it?
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Re: Is Survivor Officially Done?

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm

Slander wrote:Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if Survivor is officially over? I've looked for concert dates. Nada! Survivor hasn't updated its fb page since Thanksgiving 21. Cameron Barton, Billy O and Chris Grove are all playing live. Meanwhile Frankie is waxing poetic about songwriting on Instagram.

I wish Peterik, Bickler, and Droubay would reunite just one time, but it won't happen. This thing we loved sure ended with a fizzle, didn't it?

Sadly, yes, I assume that Survivor is completely done. :cry:

If Peterik had been the one to have kept the Survivor name I'm sure that there would have been at least a couple of more albums than just Reach, and they'd still be doing at least occasional concerts.

Peterik, Bickler and Droubay could at the very least release a 4 song EP that Peterik produces himself like Journey did with their Red 13 EP. Give us at least a little something!
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Wed May 18, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Thu May 05, 2022 3:52 pm

Done done and done.

Legacy left for Sony to pick at with a couple of hits packages over the next decade and a control freak guitarist who won't let anyone hear anything from the vast unreleased material vaults.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Slander » Tue May 10, 2022 3:00 am

It's absolute insanity! Is there any other artists like Sullivan who are so guarded with their material. I can't think one.
"But it ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward." Rocky Balboa
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Tue May 17, 2022 9:30 am

Andrew wrote:Done done and done.

Legacy left for Sony to pick at with a couple of hits packages over the next decade and a control freak guitarist who won't let anyone hear anything from the vast unreleased material vaults.

What VAST unreleased vault. Is it real or in his mind?
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Andrew » Tue May 17, 2022 10:21 am

Abitaman wrote:

It's real. I have some tunes, I know of another dozen, plus the Fire Makes Steel sessions then there are tracks written and demoed that are part of the Peterik library including several Perterik/Sullivan tracks that are locked up.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu May 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Slander wrote:It's absolute insanity! Is there any other artists like Sullivan who are so guarded with their material. I can't think one.

I was just reading something that I had never seen before, but many of you are probably already aware of? It's something that Frankie Sullivan has online called "If This Guitar Could Talk."

Anyway, in one of the sections that he has listed he says that there are far better recordings of Somewhere In America and Whole Towns Talkin' than what we hear on the album. Well, if that's the case, then why doesn't he release those songs???

He also claims that Peterik caused Ron Nevison to quit the producing of the album. Which of course is a contradiction to what Peterik said in his book. Gee, I wonder who we should believe? Should we believe Peterik? Or should we believe the guy who has lied to Survivor fans over and over again a million times over, Frankie Sullivan?

Also, Nevison has said that he loved working with Survivor. In fact, based on Nevison's comments it seems like he may have enjoyed working with Survivor just about the most of any band that he has ever worked with.
If he disliked working with Peterik so much, then why does he name Survivor, which was first and foremost Peterik's band, as being one of his favorite bands that he has worked with?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby kgdjpubs » Tue May 24, 2022 8:08 am

Andrew wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

It's real. I have some tunes, I know of another dozen, plus the Fire Makes Steel sessions then there are tracks written and demoed that are part of the Peterik library including several Perterik/Sullivan tracks that are locked up.

There's a bunch of stuff out there. Some of it was temporarily uploaded to youtube recently.

In that stuff....an album or more of early stuff--probably a dozen or more songs pre-S/T album. 3 or 4 songs from Premonition sessions. about 3 songs from When Seconds Count sessions. 3-4 songs from Too Hot To Sleep, plus some early versions of all the above--some of which are very different to what ended up on the album. You've got some songs post-THTS that pre-dates the Fire Makes Steel demos. You've got the Fire Makes Steel demos, which is about 12 songs from Bickler in early 90s. 3-4 more songs that were played live with Bickler where the studio demos never surfaced. Plus Reach demos and whatever was written post-Reach. There is a LOT of material out there.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby Slander » Thu May 26, 2022 8:42 am

By the way, didn't Joe Vana and Frankie Sullivan write material for a new Survivor album with Robin Mccauley on vocals? It never saw the light of day.
Slander
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Slander wrote:By the way, didn't Joe Vana and Frankie Sullivan write material for a new Survivor album with Robin Mccauley on vocals? It never saw the light of day.

They were going to. Never eventuated to the best of my knowledge via my discussions with Joe.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:46 am

Andrew wrote:
Abitaman wrote:

Is there a reason they released no live albums apart from the Japanese concerts with Jimi on video?
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby kgdjpubs » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 am

verslibre wrote:
Is there a reason they released no live albums apart from the Japanese concerts with Jimi on video?

If you think about it, they had two hit records. VS and WSC. Vital Signs got a live video/album. WSC got a live video recorded, but with bad laryngitis from the singer so even with overdubs, it still doesn't sound great. There are some other bootlegs from the tour where he sounded 1000% better. Good guess as to why that live recording is hard to find--it does JJ no favors at all.

I guess one can argue that there should have been an official live release from the Tiger era, but the market for Jamison-fronted material is considerably stronger than Bickler-fronted material.

Short version in the end....they weren't quite big enough to gain much of a huge following, and the popular peak was really a very short time, and also cursed from changing singers back and forth, so certain eras got ignored. Being on an odd label didn't help either.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:39 am

kgdjpubs wrote:
verslibre wrote:

If you think about it, they had two hit records. VS and WSC. Vital Signs got a live video/album. WSC got a live video recorded, but with bad laryngitis from the singer so even with overdubs, it still doesn't sound great. There are some other bootlegs from the tour where he sounded 1000% better. Good guess as to why that live recording is hard to find--it does JJ no favors at all.

I guess one can argue that there should have been an official live release from the Tiger era, but the market for Jamison-fronted material is considerably stronger than Bickler-fronted material.

Short version in the end....they weren't quite big enough to gain much of a huge following, and the popular peak was really a very short time, and also cursed from changing singers back and forth, so certain eras got ignored. Being on an odd label didn't help either.

I think they were still big enough to drop some kind of official live album somewhere down the line. A zillion other (less successful) bands have. I guess an archival release is out of the question, thanks to Sullivan.

I know Bickler was having major issues at the time, but I'd still like a full-length Caught in the Game-era live document.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby kgdjpubs » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:45 am

verslibre wrote:
kgdjpubs wrote:
verslibre wrote:

I think they were still big enough to drop some kind of official live album somewhere down the line. A zillion other (less successful) bands have. I guess an archival release is out of the question, thanks to Sullivan.

I know Bickler was having major issues at the time, but I'd still like a full-length Caught in the Game-era live document.

Have we ever figured out if there was even any live performances for that album? Reading Peterik's book, it sounds like they never played it live. You certainly hear a much decreased vocal from Bickler on that album. The live performances of the title track from the early 90s sound night and day different from the album--and much closer to what you would have expected the studio version to sound like. Peterik's book suggests the vocal problems started midway through the Tiger tour, and just got worse from there.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:54 am

kgdjpubs wrote:
verslibre wrote:I know Bickler was having major issues at the time, but I'd still like a full-length Caught in the Game-era live document.

Have we ever figured out if there was even any live performances for that album? Reading Peterik's book, it sounds like they never played it live. You certainly hear a much decreased vocal from Bickler on that album. The live performances of the title track from the early 90s sound night and day different from the album--and much closer to what you would have expected the studio version to sound like. Peterik's book suggests the vocal problems started midway through the Tiger tour, and just got worse from there.

Yeah, Bickler was in bad shape during the recording of Caught in the Game, but that's their best material, IMHO. He had to have vocal surgery, and got it, but they started playing dates for CitG after just two weeks. Bickler couldn't sustain that constant output level and needed more rest. And so they fired him.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Mikele » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:42 am

Does Bickler answer fans questions via facebook? He would certainly know if there was ever any live date from the CiTg era. Reading Peterik's book you get the idea that no touring was done, but he cuts short on this topic
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Mikele » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:49 am

According to FS Facebook, the man is on some serious work to prepare staging the newest version of Deceased…er..I mean Survivor.
Apparently he’s hired a few new members to reproduce the hits as they were meant to sound
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Andrew » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:26 pm

Mikele wrote:According to FS Facebook, the man is on some serious work to prepare staging the newest version of Deceased…er..I mean Survivor.
Apparently he’s hired a few new members to reproduce the hits as they were meant to sound

Does that include the guitarist?
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:37 pm

Andrew wrote:
Mikele wrote:According to FS Facebook, the man is on some serious work to prepare staging the newest version of Deceased…er..I mean Survivor.

I wish that we could transplant Sullivan's musical talent into someone who's not an asshole and who does want to work and to give the fans what they want.

Does this mean that Sullivan is currently planning on rerecording Survivor's greatest hits? We all know that it will never actually be done though. Sullivan will probably rerecord one song and stop there, and never even release that one recording.

I posted those comments of mine and after I did I realized that it probably only means that he means how the songs should sound LIVE, not that he's going to rerecord the hits?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:13 pm

Andrew wrote:

LOL

Journey/Survivor, yes he was referring to live dates. A second guitarist is not an option :P
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:05 am

It's awesome news that he's bringing back Bickler, Peterik and Droubay! :lol:

I mean, after all, he did say that he wants the hits to sound the way that they should sound. :wink: :lol:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby capitan2010 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:29 am

Amigos creo que es el unico de todas las bandas que no quiere compartir nada de survivor con sus fans, lo quiere para el solo, jimi me contaba que habian muchas grabaciones extras por ejemplo del album reach, nunca tendremos musica inedita por parte de jimi jamison.

Survivor a muerto.

Alguein sabe de marc droubay.

Saludos amigos
capitan2010
Radio Waves

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)