Target - Unreleased 3rd album coming from Escape?

RIP Frankie's Playtoy

Moderator: Andrew

Target - Unreleased 3rd album coming from Escape?

Postby TageRyche » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Anyone have any more information on the news page article about the release of the until now unreleased 3rd Target album?
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Re: Target - Unreleased 3rd album coming from Escape?

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am

TageRyche wrote:Anyone have any more information on the news page article about the release of the until now unreleased 3rd Target album?

I probably won't be telling you anything that you don't already know? But back in the 90's Jimi told me that there was a third Target album recorded that never got released. Inside the liner notes of the Rock Candy releases of the first two Target albums it mentions the third album being recorded.

I know nothing about the third album getting released. It's awesome news if it is getting released!!!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 am

Well, it is a news article here on the site saying Escape Music is putting it out so...
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Franky » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Escape Music pleased and have the greatest pleasure to announce the release of the unreleased Target third album featuring the late Jimi Jamison - lead and background vocals, Tommy Cathey -bass guitar and background vocals, Buddy Davis - guitars, Paul Cannon - guitars, Bill Marshall - drums and Gary Topper - saxophone on Love Magician.

Recorded fall of 1979. Produced by Target and Engineer, John Hampton
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:45 am

Franky wrote:Image

Escape Music pleased and have the greatest pleasure to announce the release of the unreleased Target third album featuring the late Jimi Jamison - lead and background vocals, Tommy Cathey -bass guitar and background vocals, Buddy Davis - guitars, Paul Cannon - guitars, Bill Marshall - drums and Gary Topper - saxophone on Love Magician.

Recorded fall of 1979. Produced by Target and Engineer, John Hampton

Thank you for posting that!

Any word on when it will be released or how much it will cost?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Anyone else check out the MR.com news page today? They've got the full info release about "In Range". I'm really looking forward to this and definitely will preorder ASAP.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Lucky.Phil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:34 am

Interesting read, especially to learn that there were two David Beaver albums recorded.
Cold Chisel | Survivor | Dire Straits | Journey | Bob Seger | Amy Macdonald | The Script | Asia | Lynyrd Skynyrd | Dream Disciples | Peter Green | Rose Tattoo | The Angels | Paul Rodgers | Dio | John Fogerty | Dion | Paradise Lost | Jimmy Barnes
Lucky.Phil
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 am

Anyone have all of the info on how to order the Target "In Range" CD? I know that it was set to be released in September, but I can't remember exactly when?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Anyone have all of the info on how to order the Target "In Range" CD? I know that it was set to be released in September, but I can't remember exactly when?

Pretty sure it is due October 20th. And I haven't seen any ordering info anywhere as of yet.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Was the new Target album released yet? Can anyone give me a link to the ordering information?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:01 am

According to this Amazon.com listing it is isn't due out until Oct. 27th.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 am

TageRyche wrote:According to this Amazon.com listing it is isn't due out until Oct. 27th.

Thank you for the info!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I received my Target "In Range" CD today. I've listened to it twice so far. I like it! It's a little harder Rocking than the first two albums of theirs, and it's less southern sounding.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 am

My copy FINALLY arrived yesterday but I haven't had time to listen to it yet.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 am

You can read my review of Target's In Range album HERE!
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:01 am

TageRyche wrote:You can read my review of Target's In Range album HERE!

Nice job on your review!

My favorite song on the album is "Come On."
some of my other favorites from the album are "Means That Much To Me" "Tightwire" "A Place Called Hot" "Love Magician" and "Echo Tango." The whole album is very solid. It's my favorite of the 3 Target albums.

It was around 1987 or 1988 that I first found out about Jimi having been in Cobra, Target and D Beaver. My neighbor had a huge catalog that listed all or most of the albums that artists had performed on over the years, and it listed those albums for Jimi.

I started searching all of the record stores anywhere in the Cleveland area. Surprisingly, a store that was just one mile down the road from me had a used copy of the Cobra cassette tape. Over the course of the next year I manged to find the two Target records at record conventions. I also managed to find all 4 of the original Ides Of March records at conventions, as well as Jim Peterik's "Don't Fight The feeling" record.

I then found out that my neighbors brother owned the Cobra album on record, which he then sold to me. It wasn't until my brother got a computer in or around 1999 or 2000 that he finally found a used copy of the D Beaver record for sale. I would later buy the Cobra CD when it first came out, and then later bought the Rock Candy remaster of the CD. And of course also bout the Rock Candy releases of the first two Target albums.
A number of year ago I had Jimi autograph the two Target records and the Cobra record.

It also took many years for me to finally find a copy of the Marriah record that Sullivan is on. I found it at a used record store a few towns over from me.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Wow, you really had to put in some time to track down all the editions you picked up.

Sadly, while I think there are record conventions in my area I never have time to get to them.

I'd love to find that D-Beaver "Combinations" album.

"In Range" was definitely worth waiting for.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:55 am

TageRyche wrote:Wow, you really had to put in some time to track down all the editions you picked up.

Sadly, while I think there are record conventions in my area I never have time to get to them.

I'd love to find that D-Beaver "Combinations" album.

"In Range" was definitely worth waiting for.

I assume that there probably are still some record conventions in the Cleveland area, but I haven't been to one since the mid 90's. The ones that I went to here in the late 80's through the mid 90's were pretty big.

I wish that Rock Candy or Escape Music would release the currently unreleased D Beaver album. But I do have the "Combinations" record, and it doesn't compare with the Target Or Cobra albums. Jimi sounds much different on the "Combinations" album. He still sounds good, but it's hard to even recognize as being Jimi.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
TageRyche wrote:
I assume that there probably are still some record conventions in the Cleveland area, but I haven't been to one since the mid 90's. The ones that I went to here in the late 80's through the mid 90's were pretty big.

I wish that Rock Candy or Escape Music would release the currently unreleased D Beaver album. But I do have the "Combinations" record, and it doesn't compare with the Target Or Cobra albums. Jimi sounds much different on the "Combinations" album. He still sounds good, but it's hard to even recognize as being Jimi.

Does either D Beaver album fall in range of what Rock Candy normally reissues?
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:23 pm

TageRyche wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:
TageRyche wrote:

Does either D Beaver album fall in range of what Rock Candy normally reissues?

I only have D Beaver's "Combinations" album, so I don't know what the unreleased one is like. As for "Combinations," it's not as hard Rocking as the Target albums. It's a lighter sounding album. It's a decent album, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the Cobra and Target albums. It's not so drastically different that it would be shocking if Rock Candy were to release it. But it's not traditionally the type of album that I think of Rock Candy usually reissuing.

To me, the Cobra album and the Target albums are albums that every huge Jimi Jamison fan needs to get if they don't already have them. Even though I'm glad that I have the D Beaver "Combinations" album, I don't feel that it's an album that every Jimi Jamison fan MUST HAVE. And Jimi doesn't sound the same on it as he does on the Target and Cobra CD's. I have only listened to it a few times in the last 15 years or so.

I'll give it another listen again sometime soon, and post a few thoughts about it.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
I'll give it another listen again sometime soon, and post a few thoughts about it.

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

D. Beaver album

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:14 pm

My opinions about the D Beaver "Combinations" album.....

There are 16 songs on the album. Jimi Jamison (Listed on the album as Jimmy Jamison) sings lead vocals on 7 of the songs.
Most of the songs on the album are in the 2 to 3 minute long range.

Jimi's singing is very good, but sounds drastically different than what most of us are used to from Survivor, Cobra and Target. It's not easy to tell that it is Jimi singing.

David Beaver is a keyboardist, and the album is much more of a keyboard album than it is a guitar album. It's not a hard Rocking album by any means, although it doesn't really have much of any ballads on it either.

It seems to me to be somewhat similar to The Beatles on their more pop songs.

I found some reviews of the album posted by some fans who own the album. I would say that they did a good job reviewing the album. https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... binations/

Not a bad album by any means. It's kind of good, but it doesn't excite me. I would not compare it with Cobra or Target, and especially not Survivor.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 am

I listened to the D. Beaver album again today. I would also say that I think that there are hints of E.L.P. in it. It is kind of Progressive Rock, but nowhere nearly as intense as say Journey's first 3 albums.

It is slightly more Rocking than I gave it credit for originally.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Survivor / Jim Peterik / Toby Hitchcock / Pride Of Lions / Marc Scherer / Sir Jimi (RIP)