Should Journey do a streaming concert?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Should Journey do a streaming concert?

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:28 am

A lot of bands - (Dave Mathews, TOTO, Lamb of God etc) - are doing this. Should Journey continue to wait or go the online route? Please discuss.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Should Journey do a streaming concert?

Postby PMA » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:13 am

Given the uncertainty of when touring can begin again, I would pay to see any of my favorite bands doing a live stream concert. Alternately, I have also enjoyed the songs done by bands during the quarantine that are posted in YouTube. I'm sure this allows them to get their parts done more like being in the studio so it sounds great when finally mixed and released. More of this would be very welcome. I just watched the newest version of Toto do a streaming concert and it could have been better mixed but it was good to see Luke and Joseph performing (wasn't really that impressed with the other musicians). Whether live or pre-recorded, I would be interested in any band that chose to do this in lieu of actual touring. Even a one off thing with guest musicians or playing with an orchestra could be a major selling point for some.
PMA
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:06 am

PMA wrote:Given the uncertainty of when touring can begin again, I would pay to see any of my favorite bands doing a live stream concert. Alternately, I have also enjoyed the songs done by bands during the quarantine that are posted in YouTube. I'm sure this allows them to get their parts done more like being in the studio so it sounds great when finally mixed and released. More of this would be very welcome. I just watched the newest version of Toto do a streaming concert and it could have been better mixed but it was good to see Luke and Joseph performing (wasn't really that impressed with the other musicians). Whether live or pre-recorded, I would be interested in any band that chose to do this in lieu of actual touring. Even a one off thing with guest musicians or playing with an orchestra could be a major selling point for some.

Yeah, even if it was a one off thing it would be great. And I also love the idea of them doing a show with an orchestra!

They could do a show of deeper cuts, that way they wouldn't have to whine about people going to the bathroom or to get food/drinks during the non-hit songs.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:37 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
PMA wrote:Given the uncertainty of when touring can begin again, I would pay to see any of my favorite bands doing a live stream concert. Alternately, I have also enjoyed the songs done by bands during the quarantine that are posted in YouTube. I'm sure this allows them to get their parts done more like being in the studio so it sounds great when finally mixed and released. More of this would be very welcome. I just watched the newest version of Toto do a streaming concert and it could have been better mixed but it was good to see Luke and Joseph performing (wasn't really that impressed with the other musicians). Whether live or pre-recorded, I would be interested in any band that chose to do this in lieu of actual touring. Even a one off thing with guest musicians or playing with an orchestra could be a major selling point for some.

Yeah, even if it was a one off thing it would be great. And I also love the idea of them doing a show with an orchestra!

They could do a show of deeper cuts, that way they wouldn't have to whine about people going to the bathroom or to get food/drinks during the non-hit songs.

As you guys prolly know, the band did a few shows with an orchestra (Omar was on drums then). There was a talk of a DVD, but it never materialized.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 am

I like the idea of Journey doing a concert of deep cuts!

If Journey does a concert with orchestra, they need to include Winds of March. It would sound awesome!
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby Moonglow » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:48 am

I've seen Journey around 15 times, so ordinarily, a streaming concert would not appeal to me. However, I would definitely be interested in seeing the new line-up. Otherwise it might be a while...
Moonglow
Radio Waves

Postby scarab » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Absolutely

It would be awesome what the new rhythm section to the table for a set-list and throw in a couple new tunes.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:05 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

As you guys prolly know, the band did a few shows with an orchestra (Omar was on drums then). There was a talk of a DVD, but it never materialized.

I knew about it at the time, but I had forgotten about that.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm

I have to think Schon is itching to do this.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:39 am

If I never see another streaming-only concert again, I'll be happy. Let's get this world vaccinated, and get back to the venues.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:55 am

Streamed concerts are the wave of the future. Times have changed. This might just be the NEW normal.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby Monker » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:34 am

Due to sync rights and the various lawsuits, this may not even be possible.

I doubt it will happen.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:41 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Streamed concerts are the wave of the future. Times have changed. This might just be the NEW normal.

Meh, I don't think so. It is a different experience going to a concert and watching it from home...even if you have a high quality system all set up. Maybe for a generic band that doesn't have much of a live show it may be similar, but not for arena bands like Journey.

I do think it sets up another way for bands to make money though, a sort of live pay per view. For someone like Steve Perry, who may not want to tour, I could see it as a way to get a concert experience out there without going on the road. Or, maybe if a band wanted to do something like an acoustic/unplugged concert, with an orchestra, or a special occasion thing - like a reunion, then I could see selling tickets for the live show and a streaming event. Some of this already happens, but I can see it being more popular...but not so much that it will be the way of the future.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:25 am

bellairepark73 wrote:Streamed concerts are the wave of the future. Times have changed. This might just be the NEW normal.

For the time being, you are correct.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:28 am

Monker wrote: Maybe for a generic band that doesn't have much of a live show it may be similar, but not for arena bands like Journey.

Journey's live show production values haven't been much to rave about for awhile now. They def. set the standard back in the day.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:19 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote: Maybe for a generic band that doesn't have much of a live show it may be similar, but not for arena bands like Journey.

Journey's live show production values haven't been much to rave about for awhile now. They def. set the standard back in the day.

True. The Journey live shows haven't been much to write home about for the last 20 years. Maybe the new management will put a little money into the shows since that is where they make their money. Put some money and new ideas into the shows and you could attract buzz and more people wanting to go to the shows which means more money for Journey. They have been showing up and doing the dirty dozen and collecting the cash which is fine, but they could make a lot more cash with just some effort. Of course, this starts with Journey touring alone as the main event by themselves and NOT with another big act. We love the songs, but something surprising in the concert could add to the experience.
JourneyHard
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:01 am

JourneyHard wrote:
True. The Journey live shows haven't been much to write home about for the last 20 years. Maybe the new management will put a little money into the shows since that is where they make their money. Put some money and new ideas into the shows and you could attract buzz and more people wanting to go to the shows which means more money for Journey. They have been showing up and doing the dirty dozen and collecting the cash which is fine, but they could make a lot more cash with just some effort. Of course, this starts with Journey touring alone as the main event by themselves and NOT with another big act. We love the songs, but something surprising in the concert could add to the experience.

I'm hoping we see alot of changes with new management. We will see....
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Loneman1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
I'm hoping we see alot of changes with new management. We will see....

I'm pretty sure more up to date, modern approaches in promotion will happen with QPrime. They are very on the ball with all that stuff with their big artists. While I'm not expecting a level of fan outreach and accessibility as Metallica since they have always been big on that connection with the fan base, I think ideas I've seen them implement will carry over to Journey pretty well!! I would absolutely think a streaming concert could be in the works, and other online things of that nature.
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
8 Track

Postby Monker » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 am

To do anything that includes video, Journey will need to get permission from Steve Perry and his attorney's. With the various lawsuits going on, I doubt very much this will happen. In fact, I have to wonder if the dsb video that was posted was done without permission.
Monker
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:30 am

Neal streams a live show every night on social media. 8)
Let's get this new lineup on stage - in front of a live, vaccinated audience. The new rythm section alone is going to be a cool change.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:54 am

FamilyMan wrote:
Let's get this new lineup on stage - in front of a live, vaccinated audience. The new rythm section alone is going to be a cool change.

Nothing wrong with embracing technology in the meantime. When in doubt, ask yourself "what would Herbie do right now?" He probably would have had Journey lead the way with all these socially distanced shows.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:42 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:

Nothing wrong with embracing technology in the meantime. When in doubt, ask yourself "what would Herbie do right now?" He probably would have had Journey lead the way with all these socially distanced shows.

No, that is what Herbie would have done 40yrs ago. What Herbie would do right now is limit Neal's ability to make money off of Journey to pressure him to settle the lawsuits in the most favorable way for Nightmare.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:22 am

Monker wrote:No, that is what Herbie would have done 40yrs ago. What Herbie would do right now is limit Neal's ability to make money off of Journey to pressure him to settle the lawsuits in the most favorable way for Nightmare.

Neal and Herbie seem pretty friendly to this day on social media. Who knows? I doubt Herbie wants to hurt Journey in any way like that.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey