Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New single - June 24th

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Re: New single - June 24th

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:29 pm

Hot damn. A new website, a new single on June 24th (about fucking time), Lollapalooza, an extended pre-Lollapalooza show that'll be filmed, and iHeartRadio Music Festival?

Journey's making some big dick moves here in quick succession. Sounds like their new management is putting rubber to the road. But I'm so fucking annoyed that we had so much stagnation for 10 years.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:30 am

Really excited about this.

What we know so far:

Title is "back to the way we used to be" (or something like that).

There was/is supposed to be an animated music video.

Single was described as blues rock at one point and mid-tempo.

This being Journey, all of this is subject to change.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:26 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Single was described as blues rock at one point and mid-tempo.

Neal is great at every style of music, but blues is one of his best. This could be really great!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:56 am

Gideon wrote:Hot damn. A new website, a new single on June 24th (about fucking time), Lollapalooza, an extended pre-Lollapalooza show that'll be filmed, and iHeartRadio Music Festival?

Journey's making some big dick moves here in quick succession. Sounds like their new management is putting rubber to the road. But I'm so fucking annoyed that we had so much stagnation for 10 years.

Not to mention the announcement of the iHeartRadio festival in Vegas!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby ebake02 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:44 am

It’s going to be a long 7 days for me, I’ve been hoping for new music for very long time.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Will Journey release another single in addition to this one before the September album release? Maybe two more singles? One in July and one in August?
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:34 pm

"The Way We Used To Be"

It's a moody, very bluesy, mid-tempo rock track.

No album date, but likely to be another single before then.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Andrew wrote:"The Way We Used To Be"

All I need to know is... do you like the song?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:00 am

The band posted a screenshot from the animated video today. Actually looks kind of cool.

Last Journey bluesy track I remember is "Livin to Do". I guess "The Time" and "Better Together" are sorta blues rock.

Blues rock is a bold choice for a single. Bring it on!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrnyman28 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:The band posted a screenshot from the animated video today. Actually looks kind of cool.

Last Journey bluesy track I remember is "Livin to Do". I guess "The Time" and "Better Together" are sorta blues rock.

Blues rock is a bold choice for a single. Bring it on!

That animated gif cracked me up because Neal still seems to be hung up on his height. Notice he's standing in the back and still taller than everyone else. If you look over the history of promo shots for at least the last decade you see Neal is always up front or in forced perspective to appear taller....
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 am

jrnyman28 wrote:That animated gif cracked me up because Neal still seems to be hung up on his height. Notice he's standing in the back and still taller than everyone else. If you look over the history of promo shots for at least the last decade you see Neal is always up front or in forced perspective to appear taller....

I don't mind a little embellishing, but there's no way he's taller than Cain - and everyone else in the group.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Gideon wrote:

Very much so
Andrew
Administrator

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Will Journey play five new songs at the Chicago concert in late July? Will somebody record the live performances on their phone and post them on youtube? That is what somebody did before Eclipse was released.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Andrew wrote:
Gideon wrote:

Very much so

This is really encouraging, thanks!

Could you compare it to anything? When you say Journey and moody bluesy, I'm thinking of Livin' To Do or Don't Be Down On Me Baby or some such.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:26 am

I have a million questions also.

Is it immediately recognizable as big-hook Journey (ex. Never Walk Away, Anything is Possible, To Be Alive Again)? Or is it a little more ambitious and challenging?

Do you hear Cain's influence in moving the band back to the center? Or is it more guitar-driven like Eclipse?

Is the rhythm section change-up noticeable? Narada's drumming on Universe definitely made me take notice.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:43 pm

I’m not supposed to comment beyond what I have. I like it, it’s a cool groove, it’s not unfamiliar in sound.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote:I’m not supposed to comment beyond what I have. I like it, it’s a cool groove, it’s not unfamiliar in sound.

Appreciate it Drew.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 am

Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:20 am

I’m really digging it, reminds me of Stone in Love and Lady Luck.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm

New strut is right! Rhythm section sounds fat as hell. Need to hear more. Good stuff.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Onestepper » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Hard to tell with only a short clip, but it’s got a great groove to it. The vocal mix is also interesting.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s release.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:05 pm

The clip is catchy af, sounds pretty modern for Journey. Not stratospherically vocal and there's definitely that promised new strut.

Excited as shit for the full release tomorrow.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:30 pm

I'm liking it! Anybody else hearing a Castles Burning groove in there?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:46 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm liking it! Anybody else hearing a Castles Burning groove in there?

Yep. It's the closest analog that came to mind for me.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:48 am

Gideon wrote:The clip is catchy af, sounds pretty modern for Journey. Not stratospherically vocal and there's definitely that promised new strut.

Excited as shit for the full release tomorrow.

Definitely more modern. Like Eclipse, Cain's keys are subdued to none. Just hearing some synth-bed type sounds.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:49 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm liking it! Anybody else hearing a Castles Burning groove in there?

A little. Like alot of the Cain/Schon stuff, it sounds like Bad English. That's not a bad thing imo. Just is what it is. Arnel's vocal almost sounds Waite-ish in delivery.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

A little. Like alot of the Cain/Schon stuff, it sounds like Bad English. That's not a bad thing imo. Just is what it is. Arnel's vocal almost sounds Waite-ish in delivery.

On first listen, vocals sound more like Cain than Arnel. But who knows. The music drowns it some. Vocals seem subdued compared to the music.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 am

Memorex wrote:On first listen, vocals sound more like Cain than Arnel. But who knows. The music drowns it some. Vocals seem subdued compared to the music.

Cain's not a tenor and can barely carry a tune. Not hearing that at all. But music is subjective of course.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Memorex wrote:On first listen, vocals sound more like Cain than Arnel. But who knows. The music drowns it some. Vocals seem subdued compared to the music.

Cain's not a tenor and can barely carry a tune. Not hearing that at all. But music is subjective of course.

You were saying his vocals sound Waite-ish. I was saying they sound more Jon-ish to me. To me it sounds closer to Cain than I'm used to hearing with Arnel. That said, I've already typed more words than the level I care.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey