New single - June 24th

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: New single - June 24th

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:58 am

Memorex wrote:
You were saying his vocals sound Waite-ish. I was saying they sound more Jon-ish to me.

Ok. Waite and Arnel are both good singers and can sing high. Cain usually sounds like ass.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 am

Not gonna pass any judgement until I can live with the full song. But the video sure is fun.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Hustler » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:18 am

Only a 30 second clip- but anyone who’s familiar with Narada’s work can sense his influence all over it. I’ll predict he will have a significant impact on Arnel’s vocal performance as well. “Yes man” my ass… still laughing at that one.
Hustler
Radio Waves

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 am

Oh, I definitely hear Cain in the chorus, but the lead vocal is clearly Arnel. He's just singing lower; but all the characteristics are still discernibly his imo.

I'm pumped to hear this tune and the full album. As annoying and narcissistic as Neal can be, his instincts for new Journey music tend to be pretty solid. Eclipse is my second favorite Journey album after Trial By Fire and both of those albums have one thing in common: they're not your mom's cookie-cutter Journey.

They're bold, they take risks, they change up the formula, they rearrange the Journey staples - big vocals, hooks, killer fretwork, etc - into a more unique composition than what's found on Escape or Frontiers or Infinity or Evolution.

I'm confident Walden and Jackson are gonna be much more creatively dominant forces than Smitty, Deeno, or Ross ever were and the album will be better for it.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:22 pm

It's the 24th here in Oz...streaming the single now.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Andrew wrote:It's the 24th here in Oz...streaming the single now.

20 minutes away on the East Coast. Eagerly waiting.

The more I listened to the sample, the more it reminded me of Red 13's The Time - also a bluesy rocker.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:50 pm

My VPN says it's the 24th here as well. Just listening now. Def Arnel on lead, but sounds like Jon is all over it behind him. Maybe even Neal in there?

Music - great. Just don't feel the vocal matching the energy.

Edit - it's better in decent headphones than not.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Listening on Spotify....sounds fresh...melodic...dark. In the tradition of their best dark melodic rockers (SW, MOL).
Only complaint - too short at 3:34 mins.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Memorex wrote:

My VPN says it's the 24th here as well. Just listening now. Def Arnel on lead, but sounds like Jon is all over it behind him. Maybe even Neal in there?

Music - great. Just don't feel the vocal matching the energy.

Edit - it's better in decent headphones than not.

Yep, sounds much better in my AirPods Pro than off my PC speakers.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:10 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Listening on Spotify....sounds fresh...melodic...dark. In the tradition of their best dark melodic rockers (SW, MOL).

LOL it sounds so different from the 30 second clip Neal gave us. Great song. Fresh, modern, catchy. Eclectic. And yes, very moody... reminds me of Resonate of Eclipse.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Listened on PC speakers and on phone. Phone was cleaner. I like the track. The way it opens with a DSB-esque piano riff was also a surprise.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:14 pm

Gideon wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Listening on Spotify....sounds fresh...melodic...dark. In the tradition of their best dark melodic rockers (SW, MOL).

LOL it sounds so different from the 30 second clip Neal gave us. Great song. Fresh, modern, catchy. Eclectic. And yes, very moody... reminds me of Resonate of Eclipse.

Agreed. Right on!
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Yea, was surprised when it just ended. Maybe they just wanted short and catchy.

I think I could honestly listen to Neal play anything. The dude is the most consistently solid player I've heard. On some of the Levara solos I was thinking damn that sounds a lot like Neal. Heard that interview with Trev and he was saying Perry was helping shape some of the solos and encouraging better stuff. Wonder who he was pushing him toward. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Listened on PC speakers and on phone. Phone was cleaner. I like the track. The way it opens with a DSB-esque piano riff was also a surprise.

I wish Randy was higher up in the mix and a little less synth.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Spinning this song repeatedly and I'm just transported back to the excitement Dan, TNC, Deacon, I, and others had for ECL1P53.

TWWUTB reminds me of Resonate so much and that's my favorite track of Eclipse, my second favorite Journey album. NMW and Randy Jackson are definitely bringing that oft'-touted strut Neal bragged about.

I love the moodiness and Arnel sounds great. Also great bluesy fretwork from Neal, but Jon is all over this too. That piano intro and the synths are punchy. I can also hear him in the chorus. Modern, moody, and dynamic. The post-solo bridges that Neal showed off a few days ago give it a Steve Miller Abracadabra vibe.

Fuck yeah, boys. They back! :D
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Gideon wrote:Spinning this song repeatedly and I'm just transported back to the excitement Dan, TNC, Deacon, I, and others had for ECL1P53.

TWWUTB reminds me of Resonate so much and that's my favorite track of Eclipse, my second favorite Journey album. NMW and Randy Jackson are definitely bringing that oft'-touted strut Neal bragged about.

I love the moodiness and Arnel sounds great. Also great bluesy fretwork from Neal, but Jon is all over this too. That piano intro and the synths are punchy. I can also hear him in the chorus. Modern, moody, and dynamic. The post-solo bridges that Neal showed off a few days ago give it a Steve Miller Abracadabra vibe.

Fuck yeah, boys. They back! :D

Dude, be careful or we are going to see Neal rolling around on the beach again. I personally don't think Arnel's energy on this matches Resonate. He had more urgency in his voice with that one. This isn't bad. Decent song. But for me this is all about Neal. Neal doing his thing over a decent groove.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby DK23 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:31 pm

I like the song a lot. It's different, it's fresh, and it's a step forward for Journey as they head into the 50 year mark. Lyrics are great and timely..Schon and Cain are credited with the lyrics. I do consider the opening piano sequence to be obvious filler since that Cain piano sound and presence was not obvious throughout the rest of the song... there's a big wall of sound thing happening. I hope to hear more piano and less synth in the next single or at the extended show in Chicago (which I'll be at!), then we might hear a more typical Journey sound (for better or worse).

Music video is MIA though.
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:58 pm

It's like Eclipse meets Arrival/Red 13 with restraint.

Rhythm section a bit muddy on my stream, but cool vibe and love the darker tone. Lovely clear vocal from Arnel and Neal shreds without going overboard (which I don't mind at all, I just know others prefer he keeps it in check).
Andrew
Administrator

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:01 pm

Definitely digging the track. Sounds like Journey but allowed to be a little different. Tasty guitar work from Neal, not super flashy or over the top which I was worried about. Really appreciate the different delivery from Arnel, sounds more like himself as opposed to "expectations". Something Augeri never quite got to. Thumbs up, boys.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:06 pm

First impression:

Moody, catchy and timely.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Mikele » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:19 pm

Cool track!

More a 'deep cut' track than a first single, in my book. Love how Neal doesnt give a flying shut and goes his way
Mikele
45 RPM

Postby Onestepper » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:07 pm

You said it best, “dark”, but with a good melodic groove. Really like Ariel’s understated vocals. Will be interesting to see how this track fits in with the rest of the album.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 pm

The video dropped. Good shit. It never even dawned on me that the lyrics are referencing social distancing from the pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioRSxki0dV8
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Onestepper » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:15 pm

Gideon wrote:The video dropped. Good shit. It never even dawned on me that the lyrics are referencing social distancing from the pandemic.

Side bar: Thought it was cool that they showed Jason as a member of the band, including the last scene where they were all standing together.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:31 pm

Eric wrote:First impression:

Moody, catchy and timely.

And I REALLY like the animated video!
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:27 am

Onestepper wrote:
Gideon wrote:The video dropped. Good shit. It never even dawned on me that the lyrics are referencing social distancing from the pandemic.

Side bar: Thought it was cool that they showed Jason as a member of the band, including the last scene where they were all standing together.

Indeed. I expect the left side of the stage, where Jon and Ross were placed historically, is gonna be supercrowded.

No fucking way will Neal allow folks to be on his territory. :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 am

Gideon wrote:
Onestepper wrote:

Indeed. I expect the left side of the stage, where Jon and Ross were placed historically, is gonna be supercrowded.

No fucking way will Neal allow folks to be on his territory. :lol:

Will prolly be in the same spot as Travis. I expect Jason to have more of a prominent role tho.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:40 am

Really surprised how little of Cain's piano is in this. Aside from the Evanescence-type into, there's just a bed of synth and some other orchestration sounds - at times reminds me of Sep Ways. Some fans online are saying Arnel doesn't sound like Perry or finally stands on his own vocally. I don't hear any of that. Arnel sounds like Arnel. At times his delivery has a gruff edge - but we've heard that side of him since Revelation (on tracks like What It Takes To Win).
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:41 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Really appreciate the different delivery from Arnel, sounds more like himself as opposed to "expectations". Something Augeri never quite got to.

I dunno. I think on Red 13 and Generations, Augeri really sounded like himself. But that's just me.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:45 am

Mikele wrote:Cool track!

More a 'deep cut' track than a first single, in my book. Love how Neal doesnt give a flying shut and goes his way

Like alot of Cain/Schon efforts, the chorus doesn't hit you over the head - but it's a good song and, as mentioned, it has a great groove.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

PreviousNext

Return to Journey