Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Lollapalooza Livestream on Hulu

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm

jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Re: Lollapalooza Livestream on Hulu

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 pm

Hulu released their live stream schedule. Journey will be airing for about 45 minutes. Post Malone is the Saturday headliner and is performing on the main stage around the same time Journey is performing on their stage. Looks like they're cutting over to Post Malone for the remainder of the show.

https://www.hulu.com/lollapalooza
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 am

That stinks! Hopefully the band arrange a setlist to take advantage of the 45 minutes before they're cut. And hopefully its not some shitty mid song cutover.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:34 am

Journey 9:30PM ET, Post Malone 10:20PM ET
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby FishinMagician » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:26 am

Is anyone going to record this?
FishinMagician
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:23 am

Did they just change the schedule? 15 min ago it said Journey at 9:30 ET, now it's close to midnight with Post Malone shown first.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby SoonerThunder » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:48 am

If I wanted to hear a DJ I’d turn on the radio

PLAY JOURNEY ALREADY!!!
SoonerThunder
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Update: Journey is actually closing after Post Malone. Start time is 11:45PM ET.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Came on at 11:32
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:42 pm

Don’t understand their decision to not play “Back to the way we used be” with this opportunity
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Marzdog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm

Interesting to see Deen playing what appear to be Roland acoustic drums...

I LOVE Deen playing on a smaller kit!

The one thing that CANNOT be overlooked is the energy this band is putting forth, the smiles from all the members, ESPECIALLY Marco; dude is BEYOND ENGAGED!
Last edited by Marzdog on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby efrasjourney » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:13 pm

So refreshing seeing live backing vocals
efrasjourney
Ol' 78

Postby Marzdog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Two words... MY HOMETOWN!
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Marzdog wrote:Two words... MY HOMETOWN!

Absolutely!!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby efrasjourney » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:16 pm

Here are my thoughts before going to bed. I won't comment about what song they played or not played, they have their reasons, won't speculate on that.

First, excellent transmission, great audio. It was clear that Arnel started cold, I cringed a couple of times in SW, but he was fine after he warmed up.

They all look like they are having fun.

Marco is such a great fit.

I Loved Wheel in The Sky!

The jamming session was awesome

Loved to see Deen again, hope they keep both, I like what I saw in Narada.

God damn, I'm excited about this band again!
efrasjourney
Ol' 78

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Not gonna lie, I had way more fun with that than I expected. And I was a little concerned in the beginning as Separate Ways was rough and by the 3rd or 4th song I feared Arnel had blown out his voice. But he recovered great. Still They Ride was a highlight for me because I don't think I've ever seen them play it live. Jon looked like he was at work u til Just The Same Way and by the time they hit the extended jam in LA Do Da he was really impressive. Agreed its strange they didn't play the single. But this was a great set.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:27 pm

I missed SW. Jumped on a little late. Thoughts.....

-The freeform jam in between La Do Da was just simply awesome. More of that please. Neal's talked about this lineup being able to segue back to the early days of jamming and that proved it.

-Arnel's voice didn't really open up until WITS. I noticed canned oxygen on the stage. I assume that's for him. Not sure what was bugging him. He worked it out for the first few songs, but man, I was really worried. They really should have had Deen or Jason do a few tunes. Otherwise, Arnel was great.

-Nice of Cain to revise his canned Faithfully speech to give a shoutout to frontline workers. Cain also had a distracting nose hair during the concert.

-Neal played like a man possessed tonight. Focused and fiery. Nobody plays like that.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Marzdog » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm

MVP of this show was Marco Mendoza! Unreal how into the show the guy was. How he engaged the crowd and got them to participate was fantastic!

I know many Journey fans don't like the "dirty dozen" tour after tour, however, when performed like this in such an engaging form, fucking bring it! This is the first time in at least 10 years that I want to see them live again.

jrnyman28 wrote:Not gonna lie, I had way more fun with that than I expected. And I was a little concerned in the beginning as Separate Ways was rough and by the 3rd or 4th song I feared Arnel had blown out his voice. But he recovered great. Still They Ride was a highlight for me because I don't think I've ever seen them play it live. Jon looked like he was at work u til Just The Same Way and by the time they hit the extended jam in LA Do Da he was really impressive. Agreed its strange they didn't play the single. But this was a great set.

Agree, the show was far better than I had expected it to be. Cannot disagree with ANYTHING you said here, except that I have heard the band do STR, however, that was a phenomenal performance by Arnel.

Truth be told, I think the band MISSED a HUGE opportunity to not play more from ESC4P3, being that it was the ACTUAL 40th Anniversary of its release. The problem for the band is that they can never play it front to back because of the popularity of DSB. I think DSB has rightfully become the closer and truth be told, AWYWI should be placed where it was tonight, right before DSB.

WITS with the HSAS "My Hometown" interlude/solo was great!

The_Noble_Cause wrote:-Arnel's voice didn't really open up until WITS. I noticed canned oxygen on the stage. I assume that's for him. Not sure what was bugging him. He worked it out for the first few songs, but man, I was really worried.

-Nice of Cain to revise his canned Faithfully speech to give a shoutout to frontline workers.

-Neal played his ass off tonight. Focused and fiery. Nobody plays like that.

Agree on this.

I think Arnel needs a different warm up routine, because I thought to myself "oh fuck, maybe why Deen is back is to have him take over lead vox if needed". Arnel struggled BADLY for the first bit tonight, but WITS seemed that was where he opened up.

JCs solo was nice. I enjoyed the pieces from some of the band's piano/keyboard driven "hits". Still not sure why WYLAW can't be worked into the set. Arnel certainly can sing the ballads and proved it tonight!

Last, loved Narada and Deen having a blast during their solo. It was fun and engaging.
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:27 pm

Deen sure got a ton of screen time, too! So happy to have him back.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Oh, and Neal sure put on the pandemic weight. But he sure did have a blast.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jestor92 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:33 am

Missed Separate Ways and tuned in during Only the Young. Hulu butchered their handling of this.

At first I thought Arnold voice was a bit rough. To my ears he started to get better with Still They Ride (was bummed that he didn’t hit the note in the song) then with Escape it was like alright he’s back. I haven’t seen them live with Arnel, but his interaction with the crowd between songs was just not natural and the wife and I noticed they had the other guys interacting more.

Keep Marco! Sorry Randy Jackson, but Marco was terrific and seemed to really fit well.

The entire band looked so happy and Deen couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

They sounded awesome musically, but I couldn’t tell the difference between the two drummers most of the time. That’s a good thing.

Very weird they didn’t play the single. Would’ve been nice exposure.

All in all if they come to my area I’d go see the band. It’s the first time I can say that since I refused to see them after Augeri and the Tapegate.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:50 am

jestor92 wrote:Very weird they didn’t play the single. Would’ve been nice exposure.

I don't think it translates well live. Here it is from the ballroom show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xct_y20Q2Y4
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:36 am

I thought Randy Jackson was back as bass player… did I miss something?
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:59 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:I thought Randy Jackson was back as bass player… did I miss something?

He's out. Allegedly back surgery.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby hoagiepete » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 am

As with everything else these days... I absolutely do not know what to believe. Now I can't even believe my own ears.

I am thrilled for the boys for the attention, being asked to perform and getting positive reviews, but through the tv Arnel was so off it caused me to cringe and my wife to say..."oh my gosh, what in the heck are you listening to?" Rolling Stone said pitch perfect. Huh? Please tell me it was the tv and sounded better at the concert.
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:30 am

What's with playing positive touch? There is no schon solo and song really needs Randy's background vocals
Surely they could have done the way we used to be instead. And is journey a seven piece band now?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:51 am

scarab wrote:What's with playing positive touch? There is no schon solo and song really needs Randy's background vocals
Surely they could have done the way we used to be instead. And is journey a seven piece band now?

I did not see Positive Touch. Maybe it was edited out of the broadcast?
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby jrnyman28 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:38 am

I think they got a copy of the set list that was not accurate.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Gideon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:45 am

Just got back from the Windy City.

Positive Touch was not on the setlist.

The Aragon show was probably the best Journey concert I've ever been to, but Lollapalooza is a contender if only because the band killed it in front of a predominantly Millennial and Zoomer audience.

AP sounded a bit scratchy compared to his Aragon performance, but no discernible pitch issues I heard and the crowd was absolutely entranced by him. Neal was MVP, per usual, and the crowd was similarly enthralled. More attention was paid to the stoic Cain than is typically otherwise. Marco, Deen, and Narada bring additional energy to the show.

It was really cool seeing thousands upon thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people at a festival nominally hostile to Journey and bands like them react with utter adoration.

I wish I could find a record of the Hulu livestream so I can go back and rewatch the concert from my couch.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 am

Playing now on XM Channel Classic Rock Rewind is their set from @lollapalooza last night.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey