New Journey in 2021!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: New Journey in 2021!

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Back in the late 80s and early 90s someone that I know used to sell a lot of concert bootlegs and also sell used records at many different record conventions. I used to go to some of those record conventions with him.

The biggest record convention of the year was held in a suburb of Philadelphia. The person that I know and myself were selling bootlegs at one of the Philadelphia conventions one year.

Max Weinberg was a guest at the convention one of the days (It was a 3 day convention) and every dealer had to hide their Springsteen bootlegs because it was widely known that Springsteen was the biggest asshole out there for busting people who sold bootlegs of his concerts.

Everything that I've ever heard about the guy is that he's anything but fan friendly and that he's as greedy as they come. He wants every last penny he can get, and that's why he does everything he can to bust people who sell bootlegs of his concerts.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Andrew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Back in the late 80s and early 90s someone that I know used to sell a lot of concert bootlegs and also sell used records at many different record conventions. I used to go to some of those record conventions with him.

The biggest record convention of the year was held in a suburb of Philadelphia. The person that I know and myself were selling bootlegs at one of the Philadelphia conventions one year.

Max Weinberg was a guest at the convention one of the days (It was a 3 day convention) and every dealer had to hide their Springsteen bootlegs because it was widely known that Springsteen was the biggest asshole out there for busting people who sold bootlegs of his concerts.

Everything that I've ever heard about the guy is that he's anything but fan friendly and that he's as greedy as they come. He wants every last penny he can get, and that's why he does everything he can to bust people who sell bootlegs of his concerts.

Never heard anything remotely like that. Ever.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Back in the late 80s and early 90s someone that I know used to sell a lot of concert bootlegs and also sell used records at many different record conventions. I used to go to some of those record conventions with him.

The annual Thanksgiving Weekend Rock and Roll Collector's Convention at the Valley Forge Convention Center. Oh, I dropped tons of cash there for things that are now free on Youtube. I would also frequent the record collector shops in center city Philadelphia often. Sometimes they would have the bootleg cassettes out for you to look at, and sometimes they would be stashed away and you would have to ask to look at them. Apparently there were occasional crackdowns on bootleg material being sold. I miss those days though. Half of the fun of getting your hands on rare bootlegs was the hunt to find them.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

The annual Thanksgiving Weekend Rock and Roll Collector's Convention at the Valley Forge Convention Center. Oh, I dropped tons of cash there for things that are now free on Youtube. I would also frequent the record collector shops in center city Philadelphia often. Sometimes they would have the bootleg cassettes out for you to look at, and sometimes they would be stashed away and you would have to ask to look at them. Apparently there were occasional crackdowns on bootleg material being sold. I miss those days though. Half of the fun of getting your hands on rare bootlegs was the hunt to find them.

Yeah, that's the convention. It was the Friday through Sunday right after Thanksgiving. I think that it may have been the 1991 convention that I was at?

Being a dealer, we were able to look through all of the other dealers collections before the general public was allowed in. I was able to buy a number of records and bootlegs that I had been looking for before the general public was allowed into the building.

We were told by other dealers that would do that convention every year that most of the guest musicians that would make appearances there were usually cool about bootlegs, and that on a few occasions some of the musicians would buy bootlegs of their own shows.

But we were all told that Springsteen would pursue prosecution of anyone who sold bootlegs of his shows.

We did not yet have the Howard Stern radio show on the radio here in Cleveland yet at that time. But I guess the Stern show was on the radio in Philadelphia already at the time? I remember constantly hearing commercials in the convention center for Howard Stern's "Crucified By The FCC"

We wound up getting the Howard Stern show here about a year or two later.

We had one of the bigger record conventions in the country here in Cleveland every year back then. I was able to find a lot of great stuff at those conventions too.

I agree, it was a lot of fun hunting for, and then eventually finding the rarities that I was looking for back then at the conventions.

I miss those days!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:58 am

Good stuff, J/S. Yeah, we got Stern on WYSP around 1986, so he was well established as THE morning guy here by 1991.

I remember waiting in line, if you found a VHS boot that you were interested in, for the dealer to pop it into their VCR to show you a 10 second preview of the quality. Nobody could relate to that these days!

The last few years that they had the record show, they were bringing in whiskey sales reps, wrestlers and adult actresses. I guess the latter was to help push DVD sales. It totally lost its vibe.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Latest Neal update from FB (paraphrasing here) - spent another 3 days in studio with Narada. New Journey is shaping up to be a beast.

Neal also described new music as "soaring."
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Latest Neal update from FB (paraphrasing here) - spent another 3 days in studio with Narada. New Journey is shaping up to be a beast.

When will this new album be released? September 2021? With a tour to follow?
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:56 am

JourneyHard wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:Latest Neal update from FB (paraphrasing here) - spent another 3 days in studio with Narada. New Journey is shaping up to be a beast.

When will this new album be released? September 2021? With a tour to follow?

Neal says new management (QPrime) wants to wait until the new year to start the publicity machine. Who knows.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:46 am

Monker' wrote:Journey will never get another deal like the Walmart deal, or be on a label like Sony ever again.

Just to update this....

The band has signed with BMG (according to Neal).

BMG is home to Bryan Adams, Zac Brown, Duran Duran etc.

BMG's parent company is....(wait for it).....Sony!
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:14 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker' wrote:Journey will never get another deal like the Walmart deal, or be on a label like Sony ever again.

Just to update this....

The band has signed with BMG (according to Neal).

BMG is home to Bryan Adams, Zac Brown, Duran Duran etc.

BMG's parent company is....(wait for it).....Sony!

Correct, they are a label owned by Sony. But, they are not owned by Sony Music, which owns the labels I was talking about, like Columbia...where Journey was in the olden days.

The point I was making was the days of huge million dollar album deals are OVER for Journey. They will not get another deal like they had at Wal-Mart, and they will not be on a major label like Sony. BMG is NOT a major label, like Sony Music. They are an independent competitor.

Journey is essentially on the same type of deal as Styx is with UMe (owned by Universal). So, yeah, it's a step up from something like Frontiers, maybe. But, it's really not that big of a leap, especially considering the entire classic back catalog was released by Sony...again, the same as Styx and Universal.

But, believe what you want. This band is FUBAR as far I'm concerned.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:16 am

Monker wrote:
Correct, they are a label owned by Sony. But, they are not owned by Sony Music, which owns the labels I was talking about, like Columbia...where Journey was in the olden days.

The point I was making was the days of huge million dollar album deals are OVER for Journey. They will not get another deal like they had at Wal-Mart, and they will not be on a major label like Sony. BMG is NOT a major label, like Sony Music. They are an independent competitor.

Journey is essentially on the same type of deal as Styx is with UMe (owned by Universal). So, yeah, it's a step up from something like Frontiers, maybe. But, it's really not that big of a leap, especially considering the entire classic back catalog was released by Sony...again, the same as Styx and Universal.

Sounds like another one of your doomsday predictions went up in smoke.

As I said all along, if TOTO was able to patch things up with Sony, I had no doubt that Journey was going to net a respectable deal somewhere.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Gideon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:52 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:

As I said all along, if TOTO was able to patch things up with Sony, I had no doubt that Journey was going to net a respectable deal somewhere.

Just in case you want additional proof Monker's sourpuss assessments mean nothing: publications like Spin and fucking Rolling Stone are celebrating Journey headlining Lollapalooza, arguably the biggest music festival in the country.

Publications that have been and are likely to be hostile to 80s arena rock as well as a music festival antithetical to Journey are all going gaga over them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1205637/

https://www.aol.com/entertainment/journ ... 41333.html

https://amaznews.com/entertainment/loll ... mp-bizkit/
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:08 am

Gideon wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:

Just in case you want additional proof Monker's sourpuss assessments mean nothing: publications like Spin and fucking Rolling Stone are celebrating Journey headlining Lollapalooza, arguably the biggest music festival in the country.

Publications that have been and are likely to be hostile to 80s arena rock as well as a music festival antithetical to Journey are all going gaga over them.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... w-1205637/

https://www.aol.com/entertainment/journ ... 41333.html

https://amaznews.com/entertainment/loll ... mp-bizkit/

I have not commented AT ALL about Lalapolalaloserala. It's a good gig for them to get.

It's just too bad that they need: Two drummers where one does not know the songs, two bassists because one doesn't show up for live shows, something like 3 lead vocalists, two keyboardists, a singer who is off for the first five songs, and a guitarist that forgets his solo time. Ah, almost forgot....they didn't even play their latest single - the one fans waited for over a year for.
Last edited by Monker on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:11 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:

Dude, a fact is a fact...BMG is not a label for Sony Music. You can believe whatever fantasy you want to...but the reality is still that Journey is not signed to Sony Music.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:54 am

Monker wrote:Dude, a fact is a fact...BMG is not a label for Sony Music. You can believe whatever fantasy you want to...but the reality is still that Journey is not signed to Sony Music.

If you have to keep qualifying every prediction you make, you should probably just stop making predictions. The argument wasn't specifically limited to Sony music.

Monker wrote:They will never be signed to a major label ever again.

Monker wrote:No major label will ever release another Journey album.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:49 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:Dude, a fact is a fact...BMG is not a label for Sony Music. You can believe whatever fantasy you want to...but the reality is still that Journey is not signed to Sony Music.

If you have to keep qualifying every prediction you make, you should probably just stop making predictions. The argument wasn't specifically limited to Sony music.

Monker wrote:They will never be signed to a major label ever again.

Monker wrote:No major label will ever release another Journey album.

I am not qualifying anything. You were the one suggesting BMG is owned by Sony music, which they are not. Now you are implying BMG is a major label. They are not. You are the one shifting your stance from one ignorant position to another equally ignorant position. Perhaps you should accept the fact that BMG is an alternative label to the large labels like Sony...of which there are only a few left.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:13 pm

Monker wrote:I am not qualifying anything. You were the one suggesting BMG is owned by Sony music, which they are not.

Well, uhh, yeah. They were called Sony BMG for the longest time. Even if Sony sold their stake in the company, it’s still a huge label.

Monker wrote:Now you are implying BMG is a major label. They are not. You are the one shifting your stance from one ignorant position to another equally ignorant position.

Bryan Adams....Jason Aldean....Kravitz....Duran Duran....A Perfect Circle....Cheap Trick....Morrisey....John Legend. Timberlake too at one point.

All big names.

Monker wrote:Perhaps you should accept the fact that BMG is an alternative label to the large labels like Sony...of which there are only a few left.

I'll do that once you accept the fact that your track record is shittier than Madame Cleo, Sylvia Brown, and James Van Praagh's COMBINED.

For those playing at home....

MONKER PREDICTION SCORECARD (as of 08/02/21)

Journey will never record again - WRONG
Journey will never be signed to a major label again - WRONG
Journey will be tied up in court for years - WRONG
If this new version of Journey releases an album it will be even less successful than Eclipse - unknown.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:29 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:I am not qualifying anything. You were the one suggesting BMG is owned by Sony music, which they are not.

Well, uhh, yeah. They were called Sony BMG for the longest time. Even if Sony sold their stake in the company, it’s still a huge label.

Yeah, cuz Sony owns them. But, they are NOT part of Sony Music. That is a simple fact that you will never admit.

Monker wrote:Now you are implying BMG is a major label. They are not. You are the one shifting your stance from one ignorant position to another equally ignorant position.

Bryan Adams....Jason Aldean....Kravitz....Duran Duran....A Perfect Circle....Cheap Trick....Morrisey....John Legend. Timberlake too at one point.

I really, REALLY, do not care.

Monker wrote:Perhaps you should accept the fact that BMG is an alternative label to the large labels like Sony...of which there are only a few left.

I'll do that once you accept the fact that your track record is shittier than Madame Cleo, Sylvia Brown, and James Van Praagh's COMBINED.

Exactly. It's pointless to expect any type of real conversation from you.

BMG is NOT part of Sony Music. BMG is NOT considered one of the major labels. Those are simple facts.

I have no reason to discuss this further because, as you admitted above...you will never accept those facts.

You live in your own weird reality.
Monker
MP3

Postby Gideon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 pm

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1205842/

Rolling Stone adds another favorable review for Journey.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:24 am

Monker wrote:Yeah, cuz Sony owns them. But, they are NOT part of Sony Music. That is a simple fact that you will never admit.

You've gone from saying the band will never record music or have a label deal to hair-splitting the difference between "Sony-owned" and "Sony music." Pretty much says it all. Nothing says "I got jack-shit nothing!" like BS semantic games.

Monker wrote:I really, REALLY, do not care.

You don't care about facts? You said BMG is not a major label. The roster of artists proves otherwise.

Monker wrote:

Sounds like your back-pedaling from defending your failed predictions. This isn't about me at all.

Monker wrote:I have no reason to discuss this further because, as you admitted above...you will never accept those facts.

Here's one prediction that - unlike urs - never fails to come true -

each time you spout some ignorant anti-Journey BS, you end up tucking tail and running like a yellow-bellied bitch.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:34 pm

I didn't realize until now how pathetic you look when you start trolling for an argument. You must be very bored and very desperate.

Good luck finding your entertainment.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:Yeah, cuz Sony owns them. But, they are NOT part of Sony Music. That is a simple fact that you will never admit.

You've gone from saying the band will never record music or have a label deal to hair-splitting the difference between "Sony-owned" and "Sony music." Pretty much says it all. Nothing says "I got jack-shit nothing!" like BS semantic games.

Monker wrote:I really, REALLY, do not care.

You don't care about facts? You said BMG is not a major label. The roster of artists proves otherwise.

Monker wrote:

Sounds like your back-pedaling from defending your failed predictions. This isn't about me at all.

Monker wrote:I have no reason to discuss this further because, as you admitted above...you will never accept those facts.

Here's one prediction that - unlike urs - never fails to come true -

each time you spout some ignorant anti-Journey BS, you end up tucking tail and running like a yellow-bellied bitch.
Monker
MP3

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:32 pm

The NEW BMG was formed when Sony bought the OLD BMG out of their short partnership in 2008 to remove the name SonyBMG and just become Sony. Sony controls OLD BMG's artist catalogues.

The NEW BMG (to which Bryan Adams just signed) is 100% separate from Sony and has no ownership ties to Sony or the Sony Corporation.

The NEW BMG could still be considered a major label. They have the infrastructure and the worldwide network in place.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 pm

Monker wrote:I didn't realize until now how pathetic you look when you start trolling for an argument.

These are YOUR arguments (band will never record, band will never be on a major label, band will be tied up in court for years etc.)

As always, I am simply refuting them with FACTS.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:11 am

Andrew wrote:

The NEW BMG was formed when Sony bought the OLD BMG out of their short partnership in 2008 to remove the name SonyBMG and just become Sony. Sony controls OLD BMG's artist catalogues.

The NEW BMG (to which Bryan Adams just signed) is 100% separate from Sony and has no ownership ties to Sony or the Sony Corporation.

That's interesting to know. What I was reading is that Sony bought BMG's portion of Sony BMG so I thought that is what we were talking about here. But, it seems that BMG started completely over, completely independent from Sony.

The NEW BMG could still be considered a major label. They have the infrastructure and the worldwide network in place.

"could be considered" does not make it reality. Universal, Sony, and Warner control 70% of the industry. ALL other independents split up that remaining 30%. So, BMG may have a couple dozen known artists, but it is a TINY fraction of the entire market that is out there. Even BMG's own website says they "are the only global alternative to the majors...." That is what they are, an alternative to the major labels in the industry listed above. I'm not arguing they are a 'bad' label...but they do not control 30% of the industry to make them a major player...they are an alternative.
Monker
MP3

Previous

Return to Journey