New Perry Album - The Season

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: New Perry Album - The Season

Postby Onestepper » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:I KNOW!!! He can't seem to win with some of the folks here. He was written off here by many as a big has-been, do nothing, even lazy but pined over nonetheless and now he has 3 albums out while the big guns of Journey haven't released nothing in over 11 years...some complain. Over a season that they supposedly enjoy. Ok. Maybe they hate the music but it comes with the territory.

Marabelle wrote:Hum bug...turn off the Christmas lights and stuff the turkey! Andrew, you just might come around. Everybody was crying when he wasn't singing and now that he's singing these Christmas tunes people want to shoot darts and dilly the beans...My goodness people, what is it that they say, if you can't please yourself then screw the rest! Or, it's something like that!

No one is writing him off. I personally have zero interest in the Christmas stuff, no matter who is singing it. He's still The Voice to me, and I'm glad he's releasing stuff that he wants to release. But that doesn't mean I have to fawn over every decision that he makes.

If and when he puts out more original material, I'd be one of the first in line to buy it. But no one is going to convince me that the guy is going to tour or even sing live again. I'll believe it when I see it.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 am

I understand some people do NOT like Christmas songs, but what if Perry released an album of Beatles Covers? Would you like that?

I guess an album of Sam Cooke covers would be more in line with what Perry likes. Would you like that?
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Marabelle wrote:Hum bug...turn off the Christmas lights and stuff the turkey! Andrew, you just might come around. Everybody was crying when he wasn't singing and now that he's singing these Christmas tunes people want to shoot darts and dilly the beans...My goodness people, what is it that they say, if you can't please yourself then screw the rest! Or, it's something like that!

I won't. I hate all Christmas songs and albums. Even hate the Rick Springfield one.

Glad he's singing, but anything but Christmas tunes please.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby ebake02 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 am

Christmas music doesn’t interest me so I’m passing on this. If he was going to record a new album then he should have recorded new original music instead of adding yet another album to an already over saturated Christmas music market.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:02 am

bellairepark73 wrote:and now he has 3 albums out while the big guns of Journey haven't released nothing in over 11 years...some complain. Over a season that they supposedly enjoy. Ok. Maybe they hate the music but it comes with the territory.

3 albums?

Love Christmas time and Christmas music and Perry's voice. I will enjoy it.

But it DOES prove to me, yet again, that Journey did the right thing moving on from him. Just should have been 15 years earlier.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Jubilee » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:I KNOW!!! He can't seem to win with some of the folks here. He was written off here by many as a big has-been, do nothing, even lazy but pined over nonetheless and now he has 3 albums out while the big guns of Journey haven't released nothing in over 11 years...some complain. Over a season that they supposedly enjoy. Ok. Maybe they hate the music but it comes with the territory.

Marabelle wrote:Hum bug...turn off the Christmas lights and stuff the turkey! Andrew, you just might come around. Everybody was crying when he wasn't singing and now that he's singing these Christmas tunes people want to shoot darts and dilly the beans...My goodness
people, what is it that they say, if you can't please yourself then screw the rest! Or, it's something like that!

Ah, here we go! I was wondering where my Loons were :D

Welp. In the eloquence of the 21st century poetess Megan Thee Stallion: "One thing I know, 2 things for sure...":

1. Perry just can't win with some folks; and
2. This really does look to be yet another collection of dirges (only this time decorated with Christmas lights). :roll:

Like a previous poster said: "It is what it is". This is going to be a collection of warm, sentimental Christmas classics. So, if you're inclined to purchase (or download) the album, plan on curling up by the fireplace, sipping your favorite warm, spicy, beverage and just enjoying the holiday vibes. It's not going to set the world on fire, it just is what it is. 8) 8) 8)

Now, my question is, since we're doing Christmas songs, what Christmas song would you have liked to hear on this album? I have always wanted to hear him do "Please Come Home for Christmas". I think it's well suited to where his voice is now. Your thoughts??
"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better". -- Maya Angelou
Jubilee
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:50 pm

Years and years ago, Perry fans would say they would be happy if Perry sang the phone book.

We are getting pretty close to that place.

This is music my grandparents would listen to, not Gen-X.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm

Now, my question is, since we're doing Christmas songs, what Christmas song would you have liked to hear on this album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVigQ3c6Tug
Monker
MP3

Postby Marabelle » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 am

Somewhere I was reading on this forum where a poster made reference to "fawning" and being a "loon" which immediately I take offense (hmm, interesting...why did I personalize it?"...) because I wouldn't like to be considered either fawning or loon-ing" but it's really not that bad. Sign me up?!! I think I have been here for quite a while since the days when there was hardly a civil word being said, when there were just a few posters and they were fighting it out over the threads. Guns literally were drawn on both sides and there was barely a chance of any conciliatory words being spoken. Yes, I remember those times and it was really bad and every once in awhile Meanie would pipe in and throw some incendiary words around which would make me sit back and applaud his arrogance and mean spirit because he literally didn't care what anyone thought or felt. If he was being paid, he was worth every nickel spent! So now all these years later, I'm still here mostly in the background reading about the current times and the band moving on slowly without their beloved and arguably most famous and aggravating singer. It's all fun and fodder; one's got the fun and the other side has the fodder. But, try if you must to put me somewhere I choose not to go or be; I'm in it for the music and memories and every now and then some good ole Christmas music even if it's in September.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm

Marabelle wrote:Somewhere I was reading on this forum where a poster made reference to "fawning" and being a "loon" which immediately I take offense (hmm, interesting...why did I personalize it?"...) because I wouldn't like to be considered either fawning or loon-ing" but it's really not that bad. Sign me up?!! I think I have been here for quite a while since the days when there was hardly a civil word being said, when there were just a few posters and they were fighting it out over the threads. Guns literally were drawn on both sides and there was barely a chance of any conciliatory words being spoken. Yes, I remember those times and it was really bad and every once in awhile Meanie would pipe in and throw some incendiary words around which would make me sit back and applaud his arrogance and mean spirit because he literally didn't care what anyone thought or felt. If he was being paid, he was worth every nickel spent! So now all these years later, I'm still here mostly in the background reading about the current times and the band moving on slowly without their beloved and arguably most famous and aggravating singer. It's all fun and fodder; one's got the fun and the other side has the fodder. But, try if you must to put me somewhere I choose not to go or be; I'm in it for the music and memories and every now and then some good ole Christmas music even if it's in September.

Well, Meanie/MrMean started off on the Journey mailing list, then moved to Skylorde's forum, and then BT for a bit. I don't recall him ever being here, in this forum...including when it was AOR Hotspot. I think he was on the VH! forum, maybe. I looked at him as sorta me to the extreme. I could go there, but I saved it mostly for the newsgroup - where there were no moderators and nobody "owned" it. You can say and do whatever you want, uncensored.

As for being a Perry "loon", that is a term Dean and the crowd from back then made up to call Perry fams who were so fanatic that they literally acted crazy. You have to admit that there are Perry fans who "fawn" over Perry...there always has been. There are also Perryheads, which is a term a Perry fan made up herself way back on the mailing list. I think her name was Karen Perryhead. It essentially means that Perry is on your mind all the time, I guess. They kinda took it from Jimmy Buffet fans calling themselves "Parrotheads". There is a big difference between Perryheads and Perryloons.....Perryheads was a self-defining moniker that they LIKED and made up themselves. Perryloons was made up to be insulting (I guess) by "others". That's the boring history of that.
Monker
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:58 am

I might be in the minority, but I’m more excited about a Steve Perry Christmas album then I am about a new Journey album if or when that gets released.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby brywool » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:15 am

I love Perry. I always have. So much so that I hate to criticize his stuff...

But Silver Bells- I absolutely didn't like. The new single (I'll Be Home...) from his Christmas Album (8 songs is an album now?). Not feeling it. Sorry. While I get the 'Bing Crosby' / 'Humperdink' comparison- the difference here is that Bing's Christmas songs don't make me sad (and, I'm not a christmas guy either-beside the point). I know Steve's gone through a lot emotionally, but so much of what I hear from him is now a very sad song (we fly, in my room, blue jays fly... this one... holy crap) the stuff just makes me feel so depressed. I guarantee you that if I lose someone close to me, I'll reach for this album. But right now... not so much.

Personally, I am ABSOLUTELY fine if he wants to just release songs and not tour. I get it, the voice is a bitch to maintain and that stress takes all the fun out of it. But man... I hope to hear more tracks like Sun Shines Gray, No More Cryin', or even No Erasin'. I hope to see him stop wearing black and find some happiness at some point. I hope he's got a huge network of friends and he doesn't isolate.

He could do so much with a soul-based R&B (real R&B) band. I mean, think "Don't Tell Me Why Yer Leavin'"- what a fun, upbeat, cool, soul song that was. You can HEAR him having so much fun in that track. He was born to sing that stuff.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Silver Bells, I still bought it. I'll probably do the same here just cuz I love the guy and want to support him so he'll do more music. But I hope things change for him.

One more thing... Does his merch tweak anybody else? I see those mugs, patches, etc. and just think "oh man, you are so much better than this stuff".
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Marabelle » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:24 am

Moniker I believe Meanie was lured here on one occasion. Even though he lived up to his name it was just the one visit and as usual had me quaking in my seat. What a hoot. I had no idea there was any history to “loon-ism”. Thanks You’re like an encyclopedia with all your vast knowledge.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:00 am

brywool wrote:I love Perry. I always have. So much so that I hate to criticize his stuff...

But Silver Bells- I absolutely didn't like. The new single (I'll Be Home...) from his Christmas Album (8 songs is an album now?). Not feeling it. Sorry. While I get the 'Bing Crosby' / 'Humperdink' comparison- the difference here is that Bing's Christmas songs don't make me sad (and, I'm not a christmas guy either-beside the point). I know Steve's gone through a lot emotionally, but so much of what I hear from him is now a very sad song (we fly, in my room, blue jays fly... this one... holy crap) the stuff just makes me feel so depressed. I guarantee you that if I lose someone close to me, I'll reach for this album. But right now... not so much.

Personally, I am ABSOLUTELY fine if he wants to just release songs and not tour. I get it, the voice is a bitch to maintain and that stress takes all the fun out of it. But man... I hope to hear more tracks like Sun Shines Gray, No More Cryin', or even No Erasin'. I hope to see him stop wearing black and find some happiness at some point. I hope he's got a huge network of friends and he doesn't isolate.

He could do so much with a soul-based R&B (real R&B) band. I mean, think "Don't Tell Me Why Yer Leavin'"- what a fun, upbeat, cool, soul song that was. You can HEAR him having so much fun in that track. He was born to sing that stuff.

Even though I wasn't a fan of Silver Bells, I still bought it. I'll probably do the same here just cuz I love the guy and want to support him so he'll do more music. But I hope things change for him.

One more thing... Does his merch tweak anybody else? I see those mugs, patches, etc. and just think "oh man, you are so much better than this stuff".

I get everything you're saying here. And yes, his newer stuff has helped me through loss. Some of my favorite Christmas tunes are the Motown R&B versions, so I'm anxious to see if that flavor is on the upcoming album.
And yes, some of the merch...what am I gonna do with socks?!?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 pm

This album will probably outsell Traces by a mile, people love Christmas albums, which will probably prompt a follow up Christmas album. :lol:

Probably a holiday duet album next with a bunch of contemporary pop stars from the last 15 years who suddenly have always loved Steve Perry.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:32 am

Monker wrote:Years and years ago, Perry fans would say they would be happy if Perry sang the phone book.

Well...many fans asked for this and they finally got it!
Last edited by bellairepark73 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 am

LtVanish wrote:This album will probably outsell Traces by a mile, people love Christmas albums, which will probably prompt a follow up Christmas album. :lol:

Probably a holiday duet album next with a bunch of contemporary pop stars from the last 15 years who suddenly have always loved Steve Perry.

More than likely will. Getting a lot of attention too. A lot of media covering it. Even his hometown paper: Hanford Sentinel
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:35 am

JourneyHard wrote:I understand some people do NOT like Christmas songs, but what if Perry released an album of Beatles Covers? Would you like that?

I guess an album of Sam Cooke covers would be more in line with what Perry likes. Would you like that?

Precisely. What do they went? Seriously.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:38 am

ebake02 wrote:Christmas music doesn’t interest me so I’m passing on this. If he was going to record a new album then he should have recorded new original music instead of adding yet another album to an already over saturated Christmas music market.

I don't think he has any interest in that. This was an emotional album for him to share with the fans. As he said it transported him to his grandmother's living room. See his website store of the mug of him holding up a shirt near his grandmother's TV
Last edited by bellairepark73 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:47 am

jestor92 wrote:I might be in the minority, but I’m more excited about a Steve Perry Christmas album then I am about a new Journey album if or when that gets released.

Good. You might be in the minority here but not outside of this bubble. I heard that its going quickly.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:00 am

Eric wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:and now he has 3 albums out while the big guns of Journey haven't released nothing in over 11 years...some complain. Over a season that they supposedly enjoy. Ok. Maybe they hate the music but it comes with the territory.

3 albums?

Love Christmas time and Christmas music and Perry's voice. I will enjoy it.

But it DOES prove to me, yet again, that Journey did the right thing moving on from him. Just should have been 15 years earlier.

Yes...3 albums: Traces, Traces Alternative and The Season
bellairepark73
LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:04 am

By the way...
Join Steve Perry and the @Giantscommunity live on @KNBR Monday at 8:35 a.m. PST

Link to KBNR
https://www.knbr.com/murphandmac/

I only posted it here because its a graveyard in the SP forum. Well...that's an exaggeration.
bellairepark73
LP

Postby jestor92 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:43 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
jestor92 wrote:I might be in the minority, but I’m more excited about a Steve Perry Christmas album then I am about a new Journey album if or when that gets released.

Good. You might be in the minority here but not outside of this bubble. I heard that its going quickly.

I’d be more excited about the new Journey album, but their output with Arnel is lacking in my ears. Revelations was rushed with a hodgepodge of poor tracks with the most exciting stuff coming from former vocalists. Eclipse you were able to tell the guys running the show weren’t on the same page. One guy wanted to be a heavy metal guitarist and the other guy was writing love songs and grace. The new single is boring.

Traces wasn’t great by any stretch, but Steve has been secluded for so long it’s just nice to have some new stuff.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Monker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:00 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
Monker wrote:Years and years ago, Perry fans would say they would be happy if Perry sang the phone book.

Many fans asked for Perry to record music their grandparents would like? Will he cover Lawrence Welk next? :)

Yeah, Perry fans have wanted a Merry Perry Christmas album for literally decades. But, I would expect it to be more modern than 1930's jazz, or whatever this is.

But, you know, if you all like it, that's fine. I'm just completely shocked that this is the direction he chose. I spose it doesn't matter what I think...I know that.

But, it IS getting close to singing the phonebook...something only never say never fans will listen to and nobody else cares about.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:06 pm

jestor92 wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

I’d be more excited about the new Journey album, but their output with Arnel is lacking in my ears. Revelations was rushed with a hodgepodge of poor tracks with the most exciting stuff coming from former vocalists. Eclipse you were able to tell the guys running the show weren’t on the same page. One guy wanted to be a heavy metal guitarist and the other guy was writing love songs and grace. The new single is boring.

Well, I definitely completely agree with all of that.

Traces wasn’t great by any stretch, but Steve has been secluded for so long it’s just nice to have some new stuff.

I think Perry is probably being authentic to who he is now...and that isn't the same as it was back in the day. Take or leave it.
Monker
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 am

Monker wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

Many fans asked for Perry to record music their grandparents would like? Will he cover Lawrence Welk next? :)

Yeah, Perry fans have wanted a Merry Perry Christmas album for literally decades. But, I would expect it to be more modern than 1930's jazz, or whatever this is.

But, you know, if you all like it, that's fine. I'm just completely shocked that this is the direction he chose. I spose it doesn't matter what I think...I know that.

But, it IS getting close to singing the phonebook...something only never say never fans will listen to and nobody else cares about.

The more I think about it the more frustrating Revelation was. They had a great contract with Walmart to sell the new album and they were going to have the greatest hits and a live show to back the album. Add in a terrific story about their new vocalist and they just threw the new music together. If they had a great album the fans who bought it would be excited for the follow up. Arnel had as many co-written songs as two of their previous vocalists on the new music.

On the plus side they did choose the best tracks for the singles.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm

jestor92 wrote:The more I think about it the more frustrating Revelation was. They had a great contract with Walmart to sell the new album and they were going to have the greatest hits and a live show to back the album. Add in a terrific story about their new vocalist and they just threw the new music together. If they had a great album the fans who bought it would be excited for the follow up. Arnel had as many co-written songs as two of their previous vocalists on the new music.

Revelation, unlike Arrival, had very little in the way of outside writers. While it didn't break any new ground, Revelation is probably the best Journey album you're going to get out of Schon/Cain - especially when they are doing most of the heavy creative lifting. I never got the impression that it was just thrown together. I actually get the impression that some songs (ex. Where Did I Lose Your Love) had been sitting around waiting for a chance to get recorded.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:59 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:

But we didn't want it called The Season! We wanted it called "A Very Perry Christmas!"
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:58 pm

JourneyHard wrote:
bellairepark73 wrote:

But we didn't want it called The Season! We wanted it called "A Very Perry Christmas!"

He's saving that for the Netflix holiday special.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby carleysdad » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 am

I have ZERO interest in hearing Perry sing Christmas music. His rendition of Silver Bells a year or so ago was dreadful. God only knows how horrible this album will be. He needs to hang it up and call it a day.
carleysdad
Ol' 78

PreviousNext

Return to Journey