QPrime Journey Biography

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby ebake02 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:
Except there has been NO news of a label signing the band. Unless Neal was lying again, someone was talking to BMG...and nothing has come out of that. It would not surprise me that BMG either fell through, or was not "good enough" for Neal to agree to and he figures they don't need QPrime to schedule a tour so if they can't score them a label, then they are not worth paying for. So, maybe Neal will be burning DVD's and CD's in his garage next to his Journey Harley.


Schon has stopped tagging QPrime in social media posts, but is regularly tagging BMG. Narada maybe off the road, in part, to get the album together in time for a release date now.



Journey is nowhere to be found on BMG’s website though, if they got the deal then you would think that the label would at least say something.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: Northeast

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:56 pm

ebake02 wrote:
Journey is nowhere to be found on BMG’s website though, if they got the deal then you would think that the label would at least say something.


Neal mentioned both the Lollapalooza show and the switch from Azoff management before it was publicized anywhere - not sure why any of this is surprising at this point. Just how it goes....
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:07 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:
Except there has been NO news of a label signing the band. Unless Neal was lying again, someone was talking to BMG...and nothing has come out of that. It would not surprise me that BMG either fell through, or was not "good enough" for Neal to agree to and he figures they don't need QPrime to schedule a tour so if they can't score them a label, then they are not worth paying for. So, maybe Neal will be burning DVD's and CD's in his garage next to his Journey Harley.


Schon has stopped tagging QPrime in social media posts, but is regularly tagging BMG. Narada maybe off the road, in part, to get the album together in time for a release date now.

As for the lack of a public announcement... well, lately, all of the press releases have been done through QPrime. So there's your answer.


You have been talking about a new Journey album for about three years now. It's just excuses now. In that same time, Styx has released two albums. The last one (Crash of the Crown) is so successful that it is back ordered and the label, Universal, has asked the band to record a follow up as soon as they can. Journey simply does not have their shit together.

Neal exaggerates and lies so much that you don't really know what the truth is, you're just guessing...and guessing with a lot of wishful thinking.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:09 pm

ebake02 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:
Except there has been NO news of a label signing the band. Unless Neal was lying again, someone was talking to BMG...and nothing has come out of that. It would not surprise me that BMG either fell through, or was not "good enough" for Neal to agree to and he figures they don't need QPrime to schedule a tour so if they can't score them a label, then they are not worth paying for. So, maybe Neal will be burning DVD's and CD's in his garage next to his Journey Harley.


Schon has stopped tagging QPrime in social media posts, but is regularly tagging BMG. Narada maybe off the road, in part, to get the album together in time for a release date now.



Journey is nowhere to be found on BMG’s website though, if they got the deal then you would think that the label would at least say something.


Exactly. If they signed a deal, both Journey and BMG would want it in the press.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
ebake02 wrote:
Journey is nowhere to be found on BMG’s website though, if they got the deal then you would think that the label would at least say something.


Neal mentioned both the Lollapalooza show and the switch from Azoff management before it was publicized anywhere - not sure why any of this is surprising at this point. Just how it goes....


According to YOU, Neal hasn't really "announced" a BMG, that he only mentioned it in passing in an interview. At this point saying that Journey is signed, or going to be signed, to BMG is just made up fantasy. Maybe it will happen...but it hasn't yet.

IMO, it's pretty obvious that Journey has no way to release a CD, unless Neal burns them himself. Maybe they'll make a quck deal with Frontiers, but even that hasn't happened yet.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Andrew » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Gideon wrote:Andrew, would love your insights as to what this bodes.


Still digesting.

It's doable, and I've seen big acts do it - but they still need infrastructure and personnel in place as it's not a one person job and then you need someone to make decisions.

Toto are now successfully self managed, but it's not just Luke calling all the shots.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10584
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Monker wrote:You have been talking about a new Journey album for about three years now. It's just excuses now. In that same time, Styx has released two albums.


Since kicking out Dennis, they have released a grand total of 3 albums of original material. Journey still has them beat in that regard. That is a pitiful track record. :roll:

Monker wrote:The last one (Crash of the Crown) is so successful that it is back ordered and the label, Universal, has asked the band to record a follow up as soon as they can.


Crash of the Crown didn't even crack the Billboard 100. The fact that this is being celebrated is just further proof of the continuing cratering of the record industry. Which is why I said all along that Journey would be signed to another label (when you said the opposite). Labels at this point would kills for Eclipse-level numbers.

Monker wrote:Neal exaggerates and lies so much that you don't really know what the truth is, you're just guessing...and guessing with a lot of wishful thinking.


I merely use a message board as they are intended: for discussion of news and opinion. Neal said they are signed to BMG and I have no reason to doubt that. You've expressed doubt on virtually everything that has actually come to pass (the release of a single, live shows, Lollapalooza, the resolution of the court case etc.)

That is YOUR track record of guessing - you own it - and it sucks.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Monker wrote:Exactly. If they signed a deal, both Journey and BMG would want it in the press.


Not necessarily.

By that logic, why wasn't the Lollapalooza show officially announced as soon as Neal mentioned it?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Andrew wrote:Still digesting.

It's doable, and I've seen big acts do it - but they still need infrastructure and personnel in place as it's not a one person job and then you need someone to make decisions.

Toto are now successfully self managed, but it's not just Luke calling all the shots.


Luke or Joe have also talked about the new TOTO lineup being leaner, allowing them to tour more. Journey seems a much bigger operation with more overhead. Time will tell.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Andrew » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:08 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote: Journey seems a much bigger operation with more overhead. Time will tell.


Journey is a far more complicated beast. As you know Azoff was in charge for many years, but the band had their own 24/7 assigned guy with this own staff...it was not an easy gig.
User avatar
Andrew
Administrator
 
Posts: 10584
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:12 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:04 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:You have been talking about a new Journey album for about three years now. It's just excuses now. In that same time, Styx has released two albums.


Since kicking out Dennis, they have released a grand total of 3 albums of original material. Journey still has them beat in that regard. That is a pitiful track record. :roll:


And, Journey has done virtually NOTHING the past 10yrs...which is even worse. Styx is BY FAR the more productive band in recent years...and you know it, even if you don't admit it.

Monker wrote:The last one (Crash of the Crown) is so successful that it is back ordered and the label, Universal, has asked the band to record a follow up as soon as they can.


Crash of the Crown didn't even crack the Billboard 100. The fact that this is being celebrated is just further proof of the continuing cratering of the record industry.


I don't care. The fact is that Universal is pleased with the last two Styx albums and wants more.

Which is why I said all along that Journey would be signed to another label (when you said the opposite). Labels at this point would kills for Eclipse-level numbers.


It depends. If the label signs Journey to a cheap contract with no huge payments to the band or budget for promotion, then yeah, maybe. But, is Neal willing to accept that after getting rich off of Sony's Journey reunion and the Wal-mart deal? I doubt it.

Monker wrote:Neal exaggerates and lies so much that you don't really know what the truth is, you're just guessing...and guessing with a lot of wishful thinking.


I merely use a message board as they are intended: for discussion of news and opinion. Neal said they are signed to BMG and I have no reason to doubt that.


Neal said an album would be released July 2020. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a single every month this year. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a CD this past March. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said all of the above while the band wasn't even signed to a label. And, you don't have reasons to not believe him if he says they are signed to BMG when there is absolutely NO other indication that it is true? Please.

Journey fans need some other source of info than Neal Schon.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Gideon » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Andrew wrote:
Gideon wrote:Andrew, would love your insights as to what this bodes.


Still digesting.

It's doable, and I've seen big acts do it - but they still need infrastructure and personnel in place as it's not a one person job and then you need someone to make decisions.

Toto are now successfully self managed, but it's not just Luke calling all the shots.


Any idea as to what prompted this seemingly stupid decision?
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
User avatar
Gideon
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4455
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am
Location: Kentucky.

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:54 pm

Gideon wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Gideon wrote:Andrew, would love your insights as to what this bodes.


Still digesting.

It's doable, and I've seen big acts do it - but they still need infrastructure and personnel in place as it's not a one person job and then you need someone to make decisions.

Toto are now successfully self managed, but it's not just Luke calling all the shots.


Any idea as to what prompted this seemingly stupid decision?


One guess: Management is expensive and they haven’t done a full tour since 2018.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:51 am

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:55 am

Monker wrote:And, Journey has done virtually NOTHING the past 10yrs...which is even worse. Styx is BY FAR the more productive band in recent years...and you know it, even if you don't admit it.


The qualifier there is "recent" years. Looked at overall, Journey still put out more albums of original material. If you have an issue with the lack of new material from Journey, take it up with your unemployed heroes, Ross and Smith. Cain too.

Monker wrote:I don't care. The fact is that Universal is pleased with the last two Styx albums and wants more.


You said it was "successful." The reality is, it didn't even crack the Billboard 100. I give Styx alot of credit for finding some late stage creative inspiration. But the idea that they are burning up the charts is just false and idiotic.

Monker wrote:Neal said an album would be released July 2020. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a single every month this year. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a CD this past March. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said all of the above while the band wasn't even signed to a label. And, you don't have reasons to not believe him if he says they are signed to BMG when there is absolutely NO other indication that it is true? Please.


These are all quibbles with dates - not the actual substance of the claims. Who cares?

Monker wrote:Journey fans need some other source of info than Neal Schon.


Journey fans have to be their own citizen journalists.
I'm the one who told this forum that it looked increasingly like Journey was no longer with QPrime - now proven to be true.
I wish we had a news source covering all the drama in this band.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby jrnyman28 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 am

Monker wrote:
Journey fans need some other source of info than Neal Schon.



If the band is self-managed you can expect Neal to be mouth.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 6531
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:15 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:45 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:And, Journey has done virtually NOTHING the past 10yrs...which is even worse. Styx is BY FAR the more productive band in recent years...and you know it, even if you don't admit it.


The qualifier there is "recent" years. Looked at overall, Journey still put out more albums of original material. If you have an issue with the lack of new material from Journey, take it up with your unemployed heroes, Ross and Smith. Cain too.


Journey isn't the same as they were 20yrs ago. Neither is Styx. Journey is a lazy ass band being run by an arrogant and know-it-all guitarist who has no business sense and the past 10yrs has led Journey nowhere. Styx is a BAND who has stuck together for 20yrs, being led by Tommy and JY but they allow the entire band to be treated with respect as equals and true partners.

It is NOT Ross, Steve Smith, nor Jonathan who is at fault for Journey's inactivity. It is NEAL's. HE is the leader. The first rule of leadership is that EVERYTHING is your fault. Instead of looking to find a way to release an album, he points fingers , blames everybody else - publicly, forces people to quit, sues people, fires people, etc. Neal is a FAILED band leader who has no clue how to LEAD the band to get what he wants.

Monker wrote:I don't care. The fact is that Universal is pleased with the last two Styx albums and wants more.


You said it was "successful." The reality is, it didn't even crack the Billboard 100. I give Styx alot of credit for finding some late stage creative inspiration. But the idea that they are burning up the charts is just false and idiotic.


ABSOLUTELY I said "Crash of the Crown" is successful. In fact, I said "so successful". YOU are the one who is false and idiotic because you jump to the conclusion that charts prove me wrong. Success is relative to how much is invested in the album. Only the label knows that. Eclipse can be a top 10 album and sell only 100,000 copies and be an utter failure due to Wal-Mart burning far more copies then it would ever sell...and be at a point where they had to send the leftover stock to a discounter to get rid of. THAT is a failure,,,and it was a top 10 album. Universal did not burn enough copies of "Crash of the Crown"...and it went into backorder They were not expecting it to sell as well as it did...with NO real promotion or investment from the label..

Also, Billboard no longer uses sales as the only guide to get it's hot 100 list. It uses streaming and downloading as well. If you look ONLY at CD and vinyl sales, the way it used to be, "Crash of the Crown" was a #5 album.

Monker wrote:Neal said an album would be released July 2020. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a single every month this year. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said Journey would release a CD this past March. Do you have reason to doubt that?
Neal said all of the above while the band wasn't even signed to a label. And, you don't have reasons to not believe him if he says they are signed to BMG when there is absolutely NO other indication that it is true? Please.


These are all quibbles with dates - not the actual substance of the claims. Who cares?


I think anybody who is waiting for the album and gives Neal any type of credibility cares.

Monker wrote:Journey fans need some other source of info than Neal Schon.


Journey fans have to be their own citizen journalists.
I'm the one who told this forum that it looked increasingly like Journey was no longer with QPrime - now proven to be true.
I wish we had a news source covering all the drama in this band.


So you think of yourself as a "citizen journalist" because you noticed and posted that QPrime removed the bio and any mention of the band from the site..and extrapolated from that that they were no longer working together?
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Monker wrote:Journey isn't the same as they were 20yrs ago. Neither is Styx. Journey is a lazy ass band being run by an arrogant and know-it-all guitarist who has no business sense and the past 10yrs has led Journey nowhere.


If the band's laziness was an issue to you, then the news of new music and the firing of the band's laziest members (Ross and Smith) should have been appreciated. Instead, you defended Ross and have continually disparaged the prospect of new music.

Monker wrote:It is NOT Ross, Steve Smith, nor Jonathan who is at fault for Journey's inactivity. It is NEAL's. HE is the leader.


Did you similarly blame Neal for Perry's unwillingness to tour and record as well? You can't force people to work.

The first rule of leadership is that EVERYTHING is your fault.


As if some musty ass Dale Carnegie cliché from the 1920s has any application to the inner workings of Journey in 2021? Stfu. :roll:

Monker wrote:Instead of looking to find a way to release an album, he points fingers , blames everybody else - publicly, forces people to quit, sues people, fires people, etc. Neal is a FAILED band leader who has no clue how to LEAD the band to get what he wants.


You're rewriting history again. Management forced Augeri to go live - not Neal. Both Jonathan AND Neal fired and sued Ross and Smith - not just Neal. You are not entitled to your own facts.

ABSOLUTELY I said "Crash of the Crown" is successful. In fact, I said "so successful". YOU are the one who is false and idiotic because you jump to the conclusion that charts prove me wrong. Success is relative to how much is invested in the album. Only the label knows that.


Album success is traditionally measured by sales performance. By that standard, Crash is not really successful at all. You can make up all the metrics you want.

Also, Billboard no longer uses sales as the only guide to get it's hot 100 list. It uses streaming and downloading as well. If you look ONLY at CD and vinyl sales, the way it used to be, "Crash of the Crown" was a #5 album.


Lol. Suure, and if it wasn't for Napster, Arrival would have sold more copies than Hotel California. :roll:
Give me a break, dude. Factoring in streaming should help with sales figure NOT hurt them.


I think anybody who is waiting for the album and gives Neal any type of credibility cares.


If that's true, why are you the only person on this forum who keeps harping on the issue of dates?
Almost all of us are looking forward to new music. Nobody else cares that a single got postponed by several months. Shit happens.

So you think of yourself as a "citizen journalist" because you noticed and posted that QPrime removed the bio and any mention of the band from the site..and extrapolated from that that they were no longer working together?


I didn't extrapolate anything. Jrnyman reached out to Neal via social media and got my hunch confirmed. I also reached out to 2 sources, (who didn't respond). Anytime a fan undertakes the work of a reporter (connecting dots, following up on a hunch, reaching out to sources) they are, in effect, doing the work of a citizen journalist. Such amateur sleuthing was also at the heart of TapeGate.

This is not to pretend this is Pulitzer-worthy stuff - or of any real interest to ANYBODY outside of a few die-hards on this forum. But that's what it is.

The alternative is to do what you do - bitch, moan, and make failed predictions over and over (Journey will never record, they will be tied up in court forever, Lollapalozza is a lie etc.)
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Arkansas » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 am

Monker wrote: Journey simply does not have their shit together.


A radio friend once told me that no matter what a band's history, labels are reluctant to sign/re-sign them without a solid lineup. That's why rebuilding a band takes years of successful roadwork.

Journey does not seem have a solid lineup these days. It's anyone's guess who will be onstage at the next show.
Maybe this is indeed a factor with a lack of label or management. :?:


later~
Arkansas
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:23 am
Location: duh?

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:14 am

Arkansas wrote:
Monker wrote: Journey simply does not have their shit together.


A radio friend once told me that no matter what a band's history, labels are reluctant to sign/re-sign them without a solid lineup. That's why rebuilding a band takes years of successful roadwork.

Journey does not seem have a solid lineup these days. It's anyone's guess who will be onstage at the next show.
Maybe this is indeed a factor with a lack of label or management. :?:


later~


I think that is a huge part of it. Journey just doesn't have their shit together...and they haven't for a very long time.

They can probably get a barebones deal where the label doesn't spend money to promote the album or give the band a budget to record. I don't think they will be getting any type of advance or whatever incentive to sign.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby jestor92 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:25 am

Monker wrote:
Arkansas wrote:
Monker wrote: Journey simply does not have their shit together.


A radio friend once told me that no matter what a band's history, labels are reluctant to sign/re-sign them without a solid lineup. That's why rebuilding a band takes years of successful roadwork.

Journey does not seem have a solid lineup these days. It's anyone's guess who will be onstage at the next show.
Maybe this is indeed a factor with a lack of label or management. :?:


later~


I think that is a huge part of it. Journey just doesn't have their shit together...and they haven't for a very long time.

They can probably get a barebones deal where the label doesn't spend money to promote the album or give the band a budget to record. I don't think they will be getting any type of advance or whatever incentive to sign.

They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.
User avatar
jestor92
8 Track
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:49 am

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:52 am

jestor92 wrote:
They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.


Neal says they signed with BMG (Santana, Bryan Adams). Even with Generations, Frontiers didn't handle the domestic release.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 am

jestor92 wrote:They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.


Possibly....but you haven't heard about them signing to Frontiers, either.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.


That could be, too. IMO, the single was supposed to be a huge deal. Instead, it did nothing and nobody cares at all about it. If it had been viral, Journey may well have been in a different position today.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby jestor92 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jestor92 wrote:
They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.


Neal says they signed with BMG (Santana, Bryan Adams). Even with Generations, Frontiers didn't handle the domestic release.

I take what Neal says with a grain of salt at this point. The guy has said so many things that haven’t happened it’s unreal.
User avatar
jestor92
8 Track
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:49 am

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am

jestor92 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jestor92 wrote:
They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.


Neal says they signed with BMG (Santana, Bryan Adams). Even with Generations, Frontiers didn't handle the domestic release.

I take what Neal says with a grain of salt at this point. The guy has said so many things that haven’t happened it’s unreal.


Perhaps. Either way, I think they can land a better label than Frontiers - at least for stateside distribution.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 am

jestor92 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
jestor92 wrote:
They’re probably going to be releasing the album, if it comes out, through Frontiers records. They probably wanted a bigger label, but I’d guess it’ll be released through Frontiers.

I wonder if the quality of the new product is what’s causing issues with the new album as well. The big labels aren’t going to want to release a substandard album and take a hit because of it.


Neal says they signed with BMG (Santana, Bryan Adams). Even with Generations, Frontiers didn't handle the domestic release.

I take what Neal says with a grain of salt at this point. The guy has said so many things that haven’t happened it’s unreal.

They are nowhere to be found on BMG's website either.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 am

Art Vandelay wrote:They are nowhere to be found on BMG's website either.


You’re like the 3rd person to say this in the thread. Absence of proof isn’t necessarily proof of absence. Neal also mentioned Lollapalooza before it was announced. Have faith, believe, don’t stop believin!
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD
 
Posts: 15374
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Archetype » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Honestly if The Way We Used To Be is an indicator of what the new album will be like, I can see why no label wants to touch it. That track is so cringe, and it takes a lot for a song to make me cringe. I listen to a lot of classically cringe music. That song takes it to another level. I haven’t listened to it in a long time and probably never will again. I’m sure every record label executive is pondering just how much money Walmart lost on Eclipse, too.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Andromeda

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 pm

It seems to me the big labels do NOT want to release new albums from any artists unless they get a cut of the tour revenue. Today, they don't make any money off the albums. I could be wrong about this, but it makes sense to me. Perhaps Neal doesn't want to share the tour revenue with the big labels. Although, it could just be a battle over percentages.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:49 am

JourneyHard wrote:It seems to me the big labels do NOT want to release new albums from any artists unless they get a cut of the tour revenue. Today, they don't make any money off the albums. I could be wrong about this, but it makes sense to me. Perhaps Neal doesn't want to share the tour revenue with the big labels. Although, it could just be a battle over percentages.


I don't think any part of this is true.

I remember back in the day that labels make a HUGE profit on CD sales, like %80. So, a CD sells for $10, the label makes $8. The complaint back then was the artist did not get paid enough, and/or the CD's were too expensive. So, it is just complete BS that a label does not make money off of CD sales.

So, a GenX band, like Journey, where the fans still buy the CD's, a label ABSOLUTELY makes money. The only way they LOSE money is if they do what WalMart did and burn more copies of the CD than what they can sell. A newish band that attracts todays youth has an issue because they stream so much. Spotify and YouTube are really what is killing labels.

Also, I doubt ANY touring band would give a LABEL profits from a tour. That has NOTHING to do with a label.

I'd like to read Andrew's comments, if I got any of that wrong.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11543
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: QPrime Journey Biography

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:04 pm

The problem with Journey is they could make the greatest album ever and release it in 2021 or 2022 or whenever, and nobody is going to hear it. If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there, there will be no album sales. Word of mouth isn't going to work either. When you say, "Journey's new album is the greatest one they ever did," you will be met with "But there's no Steve Perry."

Yes. I wish somebody would inform me how these record labels work these days. I would think they would want a cut of the dirty dozen cash cow tour because they know that will make money. Somebody needs to clue me in one way or another.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests