Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Here are the lyrics to A Road Song by America.
"I bought you a light blue
T-shirt last night
From some band I couldn’t stand but
There logo was all right
Some kid threw a bottle on stage
He had an arm like a pro
I know it’s getting late
I guess I should let you go

But did I happen to say hey
I’ve been writing you a road song
Don’t run away cause hey
I promise it won’t be too long
And I know it’s not what you’d call necessary
And I know that I’m no Steve Perry
Even if you roll your eyes and groan
I’m still writing you a road song
That you can call your own"

Was the t-shirt and logo talking about Journey? I know in a concert in the 1980's somebody was mad at Neal because his girlfriend liked him and he threw a bottle on stage and Steve Perry got so angry on stage. Back in the day, Perry was sticking up for Neal!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Here are the lyrics to A Road Song by America.
"I bought you a light blue
T-shirt last night
From some band I couldn’t stand but
There logo was all right
Some kid threw a bottle on stage
He had an arm like a pro
I know it’s getting late
I guess I should let you go

But did I happen to say hey
I’ve been writing you a road song
Don’t run away cause hey
I promise it won’t be too long
And I know it’s not what you’d call necessary
And I know that I’m no Steve Perry
Even if you roll your eyes and groan
I’m still writing you a road song
That you can call your own"

Was the t-shirt and logo talking about Journey? I know in a concert in the 1980's somebody was mad at Neal because his girlfriend liked him and he threw a bottle on stage and Steve Perry got so angry on stage. Back in the day, Perry was sticking up for Neal!



Sounds like it to me.

I don't know why anyone from the band America would hate Journey though? I always loved America's song You Can Do Magic. A Horse With No Name is alright also. I don't really know very many more of their songs though.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3919
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby indigo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:53 am

Dewey Bunnell and Steve are friends. In fact, Dewey is in the Oh Sherrie video, and Steve can be seen on stage with America in a "Can't Fall To Sleep to a Lullaby" video. He was one of the writers.
indigo
45 RPM
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby Hollywood » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:16 am

This is originally a Fountains of Wayne song. Written by the late Adam Schlesinger.


https://youtu.be/ltwoI5gstfY
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:19 pm

Maybe he was joking that he dislikes Journey because he was jealous that he doesn't sound like Steve Perry. It just seems to me if I couldn't stand a band, I wouldn't buy their t-shirt no matter how cool their logo was.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:30 pm

Maybe this is a good time for my joke.

I told my friend, "I like Neil Young's songs, A Horse With No Name and Sister Golden Hair."

He said, "Those aren't Neil Young's songs. America made those songs."

I remarked, "I guess I don't like any Neil Young songs."

Just kidding! (A lot of people think Neil Young made those songs.)
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby Monker » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:21 pm

indigo wrote:Dewey Bunnell and Steve are friends. In fact, Dewey is in the Oh Sherrie video, and Steve can be seen on stage with America in a "Can't Fall To Sleep to a Lullaby" video. He was one of the writers.


https://www.newtownbee.com/08112006/fif ... our-split/

I've lost touch with Steve Perry, but for awhile we were really close and co-wrote a song together called "Can't Fall Asleep to a Lullaby". He would show up once in awhile early on and join us on stage for a song. When I was in my early 20s, I was part of that San Francisco music camp with him.

That was in 2006...so who knows if they are still in contact.
Monker
MP3
 
Posts: 11724
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Re: Road Song mentions Steve Perry

Postby Hollywood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:49 am

JourneyHard wrote:Maybe he was joking that he dislikes Journey because he was jealous that he doesn't sound like Steve Perry. It just seems to me if I couldn't stand a band, I wouldn't buy their t-shirt no matter how cool their logo was.


It is a stream of consciousness song. The t-shirt/Steve Perry lyrics are not related.

I am with you on the shirt. However, I am fairly certain that The Misfits have sold 10 shirts for every record they have sold. I have met many people wearing a Misfits shirt and they didn't even know they were band.
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV


Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests