Journey Remasters

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Remasters

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 pm

I bought all of the Journey remastered CDs from a number of years back. They have round stickers on the cases that say "New 22 bit digital transfer using Sony's SBM process." They were remastered by Bob Ludwig.

I'm pretty sure that I heard that more recently Steve Perry remastered some or even maybe all of the Journey albums that he was on?

Do those remasters sound any better than the ones that I have?

Have there been any other newer remasters of the Journey albums than the ones that I have? If there are, how do they sound?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Re: Journey Remasters

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:10 am

Do yours have extra songs on them? For example, the two soundtrack songs on the Frontiers CD?

I think what you may have are the remasters that were released at the same time as TBF. I think the Perry remasters you are talking about had extra songs on some, or all, of the CD's...to be another incentive to buy them. Not sure if there were any since...not sure it would make that much difference. There may be one of those gold CD's for Infinity and/or Escape...not sure.
Monker
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:10 am

First I heard of it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am

Monker wrote:Do yours have extra songs on them? For example, the two soundtrack songs on the Frontiers CD?

I think what you may have are the remasters that were released at the same time as TBF. I think the Perry remasters you are talking about had extra songs on some, or all, of the CD's...to be another incentive to buy them. Not sure if there were any since...not sure it would make that much difference. There may be one of those gold CD's for Infinity and/or Escape...not sure.

No, my remasters do not have extra songs on them. You're probably right about them having been released around the time that TBF was released.

The only one of the Sony remasters that I never did buy was Infinity because I already had the Gold CD of it.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:25 am

On Amazon, they are showing remasters from 1996 and 2006. Yes. This is confusing.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:25 am

JourneyHard wrote:On Amazon, they are showing remasters from 1996 and 2006. Yes. This is confusing.

Yeah, mine must be from 1996. But I'm fairly certain that Steve Perry was said to have overseen the remastering of the Journey albums that he was on a number of years after the remasters that I have? Mine from 1996 sound great, far better than the original CD releases that I had before the remasters!
I just wondered if the 2006 remasters sound any better than the 1996 remasters?

My Gold edition of Infinity sounds better than the original CD release of the album. But I wonder which would sound better, the Gold edition, or the 1996 remaster from Sony?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby 19td73 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:31 pm

I don't hear much of a difference between the 1996 and 2006 remastered. I could be wrong but the thing to me that was worth getting the 2006 ones was the booklet for each one. Pics that I hadn't seen before and tour dates if the album had a tour for it. Pretty cool if you collect. Oh and yes the bonus tracks. If you have time cubed box set pretty much all were on there.
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:11 am

19td73 wrote:I don't hear much of a difference between the 1996 and 2006 remastered. I could be wrong but the thing to me that was worth getting the 2006 ones was the booklet for each one. Pics that I hadn't seen before and tour dates if the album had a tour for it. Pretty cool if you collect. Oh and yes the bonus tracks. If you have time cubed box set pretty much all were on there.

Thanks for the info!

I do have the Time 3 box set and any of the songs that would have been on the remasters as "Bonus Tracks."
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby 19td73 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:20 am

Hopefully someday there will be some kind of "vault" release. I mean like a mega one. Say with concerts remastered that we can find on youtube currently or imo the holy grail would be ROR era full shows or more demos type material. Heck that 1980 Largo, Md concert would be sweet. Back when napster was around I was able to snag the "Tron" theme instrumental. Nonthing to shout about but I thoght that was pretty cool. Anyways I know i'm just dreaming but that kind of release would be cool for us die hard fans.
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby Memorex » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:59 pm

19td73 wrote:Hopefully someday there will be some kind of "vault" release. I mean like a mega one. Say with concerts remastered that we can find on youtube currently or imo the holy grail would be ROR era full shows or more demos type material. Heck that 1980 Largo, Md concert would be sweet. Back when napster was around I was able to snag the "Tron" theme instrumental. Nonthing to shout about but I thoght that was pretty cool. Anyways I know i'm just dreaming but that kind of release would be cool for us die hard fans.

You mean 1990's theme? I didn't realize that was rare. It's on the soundtrack. Or is there another?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:26 pm

19td73 wrote:Hopefully someday there will be some kind of "vault" release. I mean like a mega one. Say with concerts remastered that we can find on youtube currently or imo the holy grail would be ROR era full shows or more demos type material. Heck that 1980 Largo, Md concert would be sweet. Back when napster was around I was able to snag the "Tron" theme instrumental. Nonthing to shout about but I thoght that was pretty cool. Anyways I know i'm just dreaming but that kind of release would be cool for us die hard fans.

I agree with this and have for a very long time. The box set did not have enough of these on it. The big issue is that YouTube and other sources already have much of this for free. So, IMO, it would be a tough sell to get Sony to release it.
Monker
MP3

Postby 19td73 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 pm

Memorex wrote:

You mean 1990's theme? I didn't realize that was rare. It's on the soundtrack. Or is there another?

No I didnt realize there was a soundtrack available my bad.I had it on a cd I burned back in the napster days. Not rare then prolly same one.
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby 19td73 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:36 pm

Monker wrote:

I agree with this and have for a very long time. The box set did not have enough of these on it. The big issue is that YouTube and other sources already have much of this for free. So, IMO, it would be a tough sell to get Sony to release it.

Good point about it being available for free on youtube. I agree there. Just meant a official release remastered and sweetend up bit like the Houston 81 show. I would love "Frontiers And Beyond" to be released with the full JFK concert on it available for dvd/blu-ray/bonus cd. Stuff like that.
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:57 am

I have both versions of their cds. I'd stick to the original mixes. When the put a pause between Feeling That Way and Anytime, amongst other things, looses impact to me.

And do you really want to fk with Roy Thomas Baker? I vote no.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey