More legal drama

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: More legal drama

Postby ebake02 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:26 am

JourneyHard wrote:They said young people under 30 don't even know who Steve Perry is. He has been a hermit hiding in a cave. These young people know Arnel as the voice of Journey.

They said if Perry rejoins Journey for the 50th anniversary tour that ticket prices will go through the roof from demand to see the concert. I disagree with this. Did Traces go mutli-platinum? I doubt people care about Perry that much.

It seems like most of the people at Journey concerts are there just to hear the music and probably couldn’t tell you who the people on stage are but I still think a Perry reunion would get a huge response. Their argument that people under 30 don’t know who Perry is is wrong considering Journey just played Lollapalooza and the popularity of DSB among those younger people.

I can’t really judge Perry’s popularity based on Traces either, album sales have been in toilet for awhile now so it doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t go platinum.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:15 am

ebake02 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:They said young people under 30 don't even know who Steve Perry is. He has been a hermit hiding in a cave. These young people know Arnel as the voice of Journey.

They said if Perry rejoins Journey for the 50th anniversary tour that ticket prices will go through the roof from demand to see the concert. I disagree with this. Did Traces go mutli-platinum? I doubt people care about Perry that much.

It seems like most of the people at Journey concerts are there just to hear the music and probably couldn’t tell you who the people on stage are but I still think a Perry reunion would get a huge response. Their argument that people under 30 don’t know who Perry is is wrong considering Journey just played Lollapalooza and the popularity of DSB among those younger people.

I can’t really judge Perry’s popularity based on Traces either, album sales have been in toilet for awhile now so it doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t go platinum.

I agree you can't judge an album on sales anymore. So, this applies to Freedom which I believe is Journey's best album ever. In Perry's heart of hearts, it must sting that he isn't on the best Journey album ever.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:15 am

JourneyHard wrote:
ebake02 wrote:

I agree you can't judge an album on sales anymore. So, this applies to Freedom which I believe is Journey's best album ever. In Perry's heart of hearts, it must sting that he isn't on the best Journey album ever.

Yeah well I'm pretty sure Perry wouldn't agree that it's their best album ever, so it probably doesn't matter.

Good grief. :roll:
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Loneman1 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 am

According to Neal, it looks like Perry kinda held Jon and himself up at artistic gunpoint back in '87 in the middle of the Hawaii shows to sign the Elmo partnership otherwise he wouldn't go out on stage. This was done like 10 minutes before showtime on the 3rd gig. I've never heard THAT story before.......if thats the case, thats some pure unadulterated primadonna BS right there!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=653 ... 6886119989
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
8 Track

Postby Monker » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:43 am

Loneman1 wrote:According to Neal, it looks like Perry kinda held Jon and himself up at artistic gunpoint back in '87 in the middle of the Hawaii shows to sign the Elmo partnership otherwise he wouldn't go out on stage. This was done like 10 minutes before showtime on the 3rd gig. I've never heard THAT story before.......if thats the case, thats some pure unadulterated primadonna BS right there!

Neal needs to shut the fuck up and let his lawyers do their job. He signed the deal, Get over it and give Perry his due. While he is at it, he should admit he sucks as a businessman and doesn't really know what he's doing. He probably signed the settlement for his last lawsuit thinking he could do whatever he wanted to with merchandise trademarks. At least, that is how it seems to me.

A quote from Neal's original lawsuit from 2020. How can Nightmare enter into an agreement with Elmo Partners in 1986, AND Steve Perry force Neal to sign it in 1987? It seems to me that Neal doesn't even know when this happened, or is making shit up.

Smith and Valory are wrong that Nightmare Productions controls the Journey name. Cain and Schon, through an entity named Elmo Partners, hold all rights to the Journey name (the “Journey Mark”), including Trademark Registration Nos. 3168509 and 3189220. Specifically, pursuant to a Trademark License Agreement dated January 15, 1985, Nightmare Productions provided an exclusive, irrevocable license of the Journey Mark to Elmo Partners. Cain and Schon control the Journey Mark. Cain and Schon are expressly and solely authonzed to perform together under the Journey name.

Also, the quote that Perry was citing was agreed to in 1997...when he left Journey...as we all know, Perry did NOT tour with Journey so HOW did Perry force Neal to sign this in 1997?

Cain, Schon and Perry are the three partners of Elmo Partners. In 1997, Cain,Schon and Perry entered into a General Partnership Agreement of Elmo Partners. Section 3.1 of the agreement provides that all decisions concerning the Journey Mark “shall require the prior written, unanimous consent of all Partners

Again, the above are all quotes from Neal's original lawsuit from 2020.

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/2020 ... download=1

Finally, the ROR tour started in the SUMMER of 1986, months after Nightmare signed the deal with Elmo Partners (which they would have to do to use the Journey name on the tour). In January of 1987, the ROR tour was almost OVER. Yes, there are Hawaii dates...with a LOT of seats sold, but Neal needs to explain how they were using the Journey name without it being licensed to them by Nightmare. What he is saying makes no sense at all...and he needs to explain why he RESIGNED in 1997.

Neal has only Neal to blame for this situation - nobody else...and his lawyers had better be doing a better job of shifting the blame then he does on social media.
Monker
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:27 pm

Monker wrote:
Loneman1 wrote:According to Neal, it looks like Perry kinda held Jon and himself up at artistic gunpoint back in '87 in the middle of the Hawaii shows to sign the Elmo partnership otherwise he wouldn't go out on stage. This was done like 10 minutes before showtime on the 3rd gig. I've never heard THAT story before.......if thats the case, thats some pure unadulterated primadonna BS right there!

Neal needs to shut the fuck up and let his lawyers do their job. He signed the deal, Get over it and give Perry his due. While he is at it, he should admit he sucks as a businessman and doesn't really know what he's doing. He probably signed the settlement for his last lawsuit thinking he could do whatever he wanted to with merchandise trademarks. At least, that is how it seems to me.

A quote from Neal's original lawsuit from 2020. How can Nightmare enter into an agreement with Elmo Partners in 1986, AND Steve Perry force Neal to sign it in 1987? It seems to me that Neal doesn't even know when this happened, or is making shit up.

Smith and Valory are wrong that Nightmare Productions controls the Journey name. Cain and Schon, through an entity named Elmo Partners, hold all rights to the Journey name (the “Journey Mark”), including Trademark Registration Nos. 3168509 and 3189220. Specifically, pursuant to a Trademark License Agreement dated January 15, 1985, Nightmare Productions provided an exclusive, irrevocable license of the Journey Mark to Elmo Partners. Cain and Schon control the Journey Mark. Cain and Schon are expressly and solely authonzed to perform together under the Journey name.

Also, the quote that Perry was citing was agreed to in 1997...when he left Journey...as we all know, Perry did NOT tour with Journey so HOW did Perry force Neal to sign this in 1997?

Cain, Schon and Perry are the three partners of Elmo Partners. In 1997, Cain,Schon and Perry entered into a General Partnership Agreement of Elmo Partners. Section 3.1 of the agreement provides that all decisions concerning the Journey Mark “shall require the prior written, unanimous consent of all Partners

Finally, the ROR tour started in the SUMMER of 1986, months after Nightmare signed the deal with Elmo Partners (which they would have to do to use the Journey name on the tour). In January of 1987, the ROR tour was almost OVER. Yes, there are Hawaii dates...with a LOT of seats sold, but Neal needs to explain how they were using the Journey name without it being licensed to them by Nightmare. What he is saying makes no sense at all...and he needs to explain why he RESIGNED in 1997.

Neal has only Neal to blame for this situation - nobody else...and his lawyers had better be doing a better job of shifting the blame then he does on social media.

All of this legal crap is way over my head, and honestly I don't really care about it. It doesn't change the perspective of the classic songs, and that's all that really matters to me.

But...seeing Neal and his wife going ape shit on Twitter this past weekend was really a disgrace. The guy has diarrhea of the mouth. Always has. And he always cries foul when things fall apart. He's bringing up a situation supposedly from 1986/87. I think history is pretty clear that they were all a bit unstable at that time. Especially both Perry and Schon. But look at all of the peaks and valleys since then. The love/hate yoyo that he's shown for Perry says it all. They were able to patch things up enough to do a reunion album in 1996. Then about 10 years later saying "Fuck Steve Perry" in a magazine interview, to praising him up and down after the HOF, making it sound like Perry is the only one who gets him. He pissed that opportunity away, so time to bad mouth again. Crying foul about something in 1986 just doesn't hold much water in the big picture.

It's not just Perry. It's his history with everything. He was at war with Cain just a few years ago. His professional relationship with Valory and Smith is no more.

He says too much, too soon. And when it fizzles out, he's the victim. The Santana reunion. Journey Through Time. The "new strut" sound of Journey. None of it panned out the way he promoted it. And it's everyone else's fault.

The dude is toxic.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:10 am

JourneyHard wrote:
ebake02 wrote:

Best Journey album ever? Did you wait all your life to say that? Not by a LONG SHOT is that their best album ever. Good album yes. Even a great album. Best??? Nah.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Gideon » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:22 am

Art Vandelay wrote:But...seeing Neal and his wife going ape shit on Twitter this past weekend was really a disgrace. The guy has diarrhea of the mouth. Always has. And he always cries foul when things fall apart. He's bringing up a situation supposedly from 1986/87. I think history is pretty clear that they were all a bit unstable at that time. Especially both Perry and Schon. But look at all of the peaks and valleys since then. The love/hate yoyo that he's shown for Perry says it all. They were able to patch things up enough to do a reunion album in 1996. Then about 10 years later saying "Fuck Steve Perry" in a magazine interview, to praising him up and down after the HOF, making it sound like Perry is the only one who gets him. He pissed that opportunity away, so time to bad mouth again. Crying foul about something in 1986 just doesn't hold much water in the big picture.

It's not just Perry. It's his history with everything. He was at war with Cain just a few years ago. His professional relationship with Valory and Smith is no more.

He says too much, too soon. And when it fizzles out, he's the victim. The Santana reunion. Journey Through Time. The "new strut" sound of Journey. None of it panned out the way he promoted it. And it's everyone else's fault.

The dude is toxic.

The reconciliation between Neal and Jon is dead. They were at war, they recovered, but for the past 6 months they don't interact on stage at all. Jon stays on his side, Neal on his, they never sidle up next to each other to jam out during Wheel in the Sky or Stone In Love or whatever. Neal never posts pics of Jon on Journey's social media shit anymore, nor is he ever seen standing next to Jon.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Loneman1 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 am

Monker wrote:Neal needs to shut the fuck up and let his lawyers do their job. He signed the deal, Get over it and give Perry his due. While he is at it, he should admit he sucks as a businessman and doesn't really know what he's doing. He probably signed the settlement for his last lawsuit thinking he could do whatever he wanted to with merchandise trademarks. At least, that is how it seems to me.

THERES the original 1985 signing date I thought I remembered but wasn't sure! This new bit of info Neal said now doesn't add up at all with what the records show unless it was an addition to the Elmo partnership that Perry wanted in '87. The whole resigning thing in '97 was of course to appease Perry just to get on with the band, which ultimately saw Neal and Jon signing a lot of things away in addition to the '85 agreement I'm sure. Perry knew he had them all over a barrel trying to move on without him, so he got his best legal team to get maximum benefits. Stands to reason on his part.
Rock on,
Eric
Loneman1
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:31 am

When Perry has been out of the band for 25 years, it was bound to happen. Neal and Jon made the best Journey album ever. Some credit must go to Narada, too. How much? I don't know. This is why Perry didn't want them to go on without him. He knew it would happen eventually.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:26 am

Art Vandelay wrote:

The dude is toxic.

He’s been doing that since Augeri was hired.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:14 am

A LAWYER reacts to Steve's petition
https://youtu.be/bt0RXtsu4UY
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:15 am

JourneyHard wrote:When Perry has been out of the band for 25 years, it was bound to happen. Neal and Jon made the best Journey album ever. Some credit must go to Narada, too. How much? I don't know. This is why Perry didn't want them to go on without him. He knew it would happen eventually.

What did you drink? May I suggested you stop IMMEDIATELY.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:14 am

This is Neal's chance to put the shoe on the other foot. Neal should tell Perry that they can settle out of court and give Perry his share, but first Perry must tour with Journey next year for the 50th anniversary tour! Listen. These things can be stretched out in court for years. Perry doesn't want that. Plus, there are dozens of rock bands who perform every day and hate each other. They can be professional and perform for the fans. Neal, lay down the gauntlet!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Thanks Mac.

Andrew wrote:
Monker wrote:What Perry is saying is very simple, the wording in the Elmo Partners agreement means they should own the merchandise trademarks for all songs between Infinity and TBF. And, Jon and Neal have no way to claim it on their own. Not sure who is right, but I would not bet against Perry.

Looks like it. And this came up as it looks like Freedom JN LLC (new Journey) instigated some new merch plans without cluing SP in.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Journey