Journey to play Halftime of NFC Championship Game

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Journey to play Halftime of NFC Championship Game

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:05 am

Monker wrote:There are legitimate reasons to use foam around a mic. It reduces wind noise in outdoor concerts. It reduces other secondary sounds from surroundings, like other instruments. It also reduces that hard popping affect from certain hard consonants (like "B" and "P")....especially when you sing close to the mic.

This would be a valid point EXCEPT it was never just about the big puffy mic cover. Coinciding with the use of tapes, Augeri adopted an entirely unnatural form of singing where the mic was pressed firmly against his face for 90% of the show. He never used this style before or since the Tapegate scandal. If you think you can sing that way, I recommend you try it sometime.

You also fail to take into account that:

1) Vocals from the bootlegs were analyzed by a future Journey singer (who wishes to be unnamed) on this very site, which showed them (peaks and valleys etc) to be identical in the same songs nightly. Even without this soundwave analysis, it was pretty obvious. That's what started this whole thing. Fans (like me) receiving bootlegs in the mail. After awhile, it became apparent that the only live song was LTS. Everything - I mean everything - was tape except for a few ad libs here and there.

2) Deano was never just circumstantially grasping at straws. He had an inside connection to the trainwreck. That same connection told us the night before Augeri's last show that Augeri was being forced to go completely live w/out tapes and Augeri was not happy about it. I have many of these correspondences saved. You don't have to believe me, but that's how it went down. You can keep pinning this on Kevin Elson if you want. But remember, there is no such thing as one person conspiracies. If you weren't so needlessly adversarial, you would be here speaking from a place of knowledge about this whole entire thing.

Monker wrote:I posted pictures here of other singers using the exact same type of foam around the mic. It could simply be Augeri not wanting to sing so "loud" with his face away from the mic. Many singers sing with the lips right on the mic...it's not that uncommon.

I'm not sure what pictures you posted back then. But if you didn't notice the sudden difference in Augeri mic technique and vocals, you probably weren't paying that close attention back then or now.

Monker wrote:I was watching a classic Who concert a while back and Roger Daultry practically eats the mic:

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/119440 ... 3i6Fc9fGk=
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7b/b8/0c/7bb8 ... 9a2e11.jpg

None of these pictures feature a fuzzy mic head pressed firmly against Roger's lips. I've see The Who live. No comparison. When Roger can't do it, he walks off the stage - he's done it a bunch of times.

This shit is soo obvious. C'mon.

https://youtu.be/C_KxPrhfokk?si=K5ds-2ZiRJGPnNla
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:18 am

Gideon wrote:AP may be lip syncing for F1 and this halftime show, but I saw them in 2022 and he wasn't lipping.

I saw three dates on the Freedom tour. I also do not think he was lipping. My questions are just about the recent F1 and the NFC performances. Again, could be a TV thing. Or he could be struggling. I do not have any answers.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:19 am

danielb wrote:Lipsyncing on a TV show is obviously not a big deal, since it's par for the course, but if it transitions over to the live stage it is a dealbreaker. Maybe it already has (see above). Let's see what happens when the tour starts in the next week or so.

For the most part, I agree with you completely.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:20 am

RumTumJM wrote:While I don't like watching them lip sync anywhere, at any time, I'm not going to get too worried until they start doing it in normal Journey concerts (as opposed to tv events, quick appearances, etc.) I'm anxious to see what happens on the 9th, and I will certainly be checking here for all of the perspectives/interpretations.

This is fair and I think the right viewpoint.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RumTumJM » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:21 pm

While we wait for the tour to begin on the 9th, here's some food for thought! - It's the thread from 2022...which I'm now reminded that I started - LOL...with the discussion and analysis of Arnel's overnight improvement.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=63319&p=4766343&hilit=monitor&sid=54967bd5e09d89e7f30c856039ca5b2c#p4766343
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby Monker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:There are legitimate reasons to use foam around a mic. It reduces wind noise in outdoor concerts. It reduces other secondary sounds from surroundings, like other instruments. It also reduces that hard popping affect from certain hard consonants (like "B" and "P")....especially when you sing close to the mic.

This would be a valid point EXCEPT it was never just about the big puffy mic cover. Coinciding with the use of tapes, Augeri adopted an entirely unnatural form of singing where the mic was pressed firmly against his face for 90% of the show. He never used this style before or since the Tapegate scandal. If you think you can sing that way, I recommend you try it sometime.

I'm not taking on the full "tapegate" scandal. I am saying that using that type of mic, and/or singing so close to a mic, is NOT evidence of "lip synching". You are taking what I said to mean something completely different than intended.

There are legitimate reasons for using such a mic cover....look it up.

I just posted pictures of Roger Daultry in his prime kissing a mic singing. It seems Lemmy did the same thing...it is just how he sings. I just watched a video of Robert Plant doing it in Zeppelin. Even Steve Perry had a habit of leaning the mic against his chin...it would be interesting to hear him comment on it - because I am sure there is a reason. The simple FACT is that singing into a mic that close to your lips is NOT that uncommon and is NOT evidence of "lip synching". In fact, I would say there is probably a good reason to do it or so many legendary singers would not have done it.

...and it is ABSOLUTELY not impossible as you are implying.

You even used the word "coinciding"....which practically admits it could be a coincidence. THAT is what the truth here is. This is not evidence of anything except the piling on attitude from back in the day where it was en vogue to HATE Augeri and blame him for everything. Later on in your post you mention Dean. Dean said repeatedly that he HATED Augeri. That type of hatred was all over this forum at that time and reason was thrown out the window. I don't care about inside information by nameless sources to prove a prerecorded track was used...I have already said that Elson turned down Augeri's live vocal and turned up the prerecorded track. Later Dean saw that he was used by Journey and regretted some of the things he said here. It was ALL taken too far for something very simple....the band agreeing that Elson could turn down Augeri's vocals and turn up a prerecorded track. That is NOT "lip synching'...it is singing a vocal that was not used. Yes, the ENTIRE band was to blame. Just imagine if Neal extended a solo or ANY member through off the timing. They ALL knew they could not do that. Neal Schon LIED to fans when he said he did not know anything about it...which was not the first time, and definitely was not the last time he lied to fans.

https://youtu.be/C_KxPrhfokk?si=K5ds-2ZiRJGPnNla

That video is AWFUL in every way.

Here is SW in 2004, before using the "big mic" and he STILL KISSES THE MIC...doesn't seem to be much difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCIz7-_qqE

All it looks like to me is he put a windscreen/pop filter on his mic and kissed the mic as he always did. And, even if there was a huge difference....so what? He changed things up...it is NOT evidence of "lip synching".
Monker
MP3

Postby jestor92 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:00 pm

Even though a lot of the retro and a lot of the modern pop artists use tapes on their performances I refuse to see any artist that I know uses or used tapes. As much as I’d like to see the artist my thought process is if I want to hear canned music I might as well find a bootleg or grab a live cd.
jestor92
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:06 pm

Monker wrote:There are legitimate reasons for using such a mic cover....look it up.

Not when pressed firmly up against a singer's piehole like that. Defeats a mic's entire purpose. No singer can sing like that. Sorry.

Monker wrote:I just posted pictures of Roger Daultry in his prime kissing a mic singing. It seems Lemmy did the same thing...it is just how he sings. I just watched a video of Robert Plant doing it in Zeppelin. Even Steve Perry had a habit of leaning the mic against his chin...

Those pics are not remotely comparable. Sorry. You just don't know what you're talking about. Augeri was concealing/obstructing his mouth in 2005.

Monker wrote:You even used the word "coinciding"....which practically admits it could be a coincidence. THAT is what the truth here is.

That is YOUR TRUTH because your are ignorant to what happened.

Monker wrote:This is not evidence of anything except the piling on attitude from back in the day where it was en vogue to HATE Augeri and blame him for everything. Later on in your post you mention Dean. Dean said repeatedly that he HATED Augeri.

This is wrong. Dean was a big fan of Augeri - until the fraud was uncovered. I don't need you to explain Deano's thought process to me. I spoke to him every day.

Monker wrote:Later Dean saw that he was used by Journey and regretted some of the things he said here.

Deen's blog and ensuing media attention (ex. rolling stone online article) made the band do a media blackout on the eve of the Leppard tour and frankly, shit their pants. You always cite some deep convo you allegedly had with Deano near the end, but you're factually wrong. The band didn't use him. It eventually gained his some small crumbs of access. You just don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Monker wrote:It was ALL taken too far for something very simple....the band agreeing that Elson could turn down Augeri's vocals and turn up a prerecorded track.

If that is all it is, why the need to hide Augeri's mouth? When the Faithfully track glitched and stopped during the UK tour, why was there dead silence followed by Deen Castronovo quickly jumping in to finish the song from behind the kit? Did you even know about this?

Monker wrote:That is NOT "lip synching'...it is singing a vocal that was not used.

You can't sing with your mouth blocked by a big fuzzy microphone. Whatever noises (if any) Augeri was doing was just to fulfill bare minimum contractual duties.

Monker wrote:Here is SW in 2004, before using the "big mic" and he STILL KISSES THE MIC...doesn't seem to be much difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCIz7-_qqE

In 2005, he's not kissing the mic, he's jamming it down his larynx.

Regarding this 2004 video....

Elson DOES use the recording at least 3 times here during SW - most notably at 2:22 - 2:25. Augeri is actually singing however. Unlike 2005, he even engages in normal mic dynamics (ex. pulling away). At this point, by 2004, recordings were used on an ad-hoc basis. Once they introduced the big furry pom-pom mic, all hope was lost. Lipping had become standard operating procedure. Hence the need to hide his mouth.

Monker wrote:He changed things up...it is NOT evidence of "lip synching".

Most evidence is in the public domain and those who know, actually know.

There's not a vocal coach in existence who thinks this is anything but playback.

https://youtu.be/jCATX2KIVS4?si=jHfX13kxkglsf5jm
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:32 pm

Hey guys, this is off topic, but please help. I sent Andrew a PM about a week ago, but he hasn't responded. I assume that he's not checking his PMs on here regularly?

Do any of you know the best/accurate email address to contact him by?

I need to get in contact with him in the next day or two.

Or if any of you communicate with him can you please ask him to contact me through a PM?

Thanks!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:38 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Hey guys, this is off topic, but please help. I sent Andrew a PM about a week ago, but he hasn't responded. I assume that he's not checking his PMs on here regularly?

Or if any of you communicate with him can you please ask him to contact me through a PM?

Thanks!

You might try Facebook....looks like he posted there a few days ago:
https://www.facebook.com/MelodicRockAU
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:51 pm

Monker wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:Hey guys, this is off topic, but please help. I sent Andrew a PM about a week ago, but he hasn't responded. I assume that he's not checking his PMs on here regularly?

Thanks!

Thank you! But I can't access Facebook.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 am

He’s also on Twitter and Instagram
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:49 am

jrnyman28 wrote:He’s also on Twitter and Instagram

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don't have access to those either.

Still no response from Andrew about the PM that I sent him. And this is time sensitive.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

Thank you!

Still no response from Andrew about the PM that I sent him. And this is time sensitive.

His email address is at the bottom of the MR homepage. It's public, so I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

Phone: (+61) 403 922016

Mail: ajm@melodicrock.com
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Monker » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:14 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Monker wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you! But I can't access Facebook.
'

I msg'd him and told him to check his IMs here, that you were trying to contact him.
Monker
MP3

Postby Hollywood » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Hollywood wrote:This is such a non-story. Every artist was 100% tape at F1. Not one member of Journey played a note. Deen didn't even have his normal kit or his headset on.

By this logic, why wear inner ear monitors? Why even use microphones? Why have instruments?
Look, we all know where this is headed....
If you are willing to defend F1 and the NFC game, then you'll excuse this behavior on the tour also.

This is a huge jump from what I said. Every artist that appeared at F1 was on tape. They want to appear to be performing as it was a show. It is the logistics of the gig. Every artist knew going in. Same as Top of the Pops in the UK and American Bandstand in US back in the day. They are promotional appearances for the artists. If I am Journey I don't take a lipped gig at this point, but not my call.

I don't know anything about the NFC game other they would have had to go into the studio and record a completely new version of the song.

Whitney Houston's iconic Super Bowl anthem was lipped too. Red Hot Chili Peppers didn't even plug their instruments in for the Super Bowl.

I am not okay with artists lipping on tour where I paid for the show and have a very low tolerance for an artist using tracks at a show. For a TV gig or event like football games and F1 it is the way it is logistically and it makes sense for them to do it. It is live and too any moving parts, too much can go wrong.
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:49 am

Hollywood wrote:
This is a huge jump from what I said. Every artist that appeared at F1 was on tape. They want to appear to be performing as it was a show. It is the logistics of the gig. Every artist knew going in. Same as Top of the Pops in the UK and American Bandstand in US back in the day. They are promotional appearances for the artists. If I am Journey I don't take a lipped gig at this point, but not my call.

I don't know anything about the NFC game other they would have had to go into the studio and record a completely new version of the song.

Whitney Houston's iconic Super Bowl anthem was lipped too. Red Hot Chili Peppers didn't even plug their instruments in for the Super Bowl.

I am not okay with artists lipping on tour where I paid for the show and have a very low tolerance for an artist using tracks at a show. For a TV gig or event like football games and F1 it is the way it is logistically and it makes sense for them to do it. It is live and too any moving parts, too much can go wrong.

I didn't see any other F1 performers so I can't comment on that. The Journey tour is starting soon so let's see what happens.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:06 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Thank you!

His email address is at the bottom of the MR homepage. It's public, so I hope he doesn't mind me posting it.

Phone: (+61) 403 922016

Mail: ajm@melodicrock.com

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

As soon as I logged on here a few minutes back I saw that Andrew did respond to my PM today.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:10 am

Monker wrote:I msg'd him and told him to check his IMs here, that you were trying to contact him.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

He did respond to my PM today.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Hollywood » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:15 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Hollywood wrote:

I didn't see any other F1 performers so I can't comment on that. The Journey tour is starting soon so let's see what happens.

Keith Urban
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD0cw2pQD3I

Kylie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD0cw2pQD3I
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:19 pm

"Born and raised in San Francisco" is clunky. I bet Steve Perry is cringing somewhere.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Journey