Timeout! Steve Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Timeout! Steve Perry

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:05 am

In the Big Interview with Dan Rather, Steve Perry says in 1987 he left Journey because he was burned out on music and had to ride his Harley and stay away from music completely. But I am calling timeout! In 1988, Steve Perry recorded a solo album Against the Wall which was never released. And then he released For the Love of Strange Medicine in 1994, and had a tour. Next, in 1996, Steve Perry rejoined Journey for the Trial By Fire album. And then in 1998, Steve Perry recorded I Stand Alone for a movie soundtrack. But the interview makes it sound like Steve Perry got away from music from 1987 to 2018 when he released Traces. Who is Steve Perry trying to fool? And why didn't Dan Rather question him on this? Steve Perry was never burned out on music.
Also, in the Big Interview, Dan Rather didn't ask the Big Question: Will Steve Perry rejoin Journey? So, this cannot be the Big Interview!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Re: Timeout! Steve Perry

Postby Onestepper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:46 am

First of all, your expectations for Dan Rather are way too high. He's a terrible interviewer. And that Big Interview show is garbage. But the fact that he got Perry to sit down and go over the creation of some of the Traces music was pretty cool.

Secondly, Perry has said over the years that he was burnt out on touring, and occasionally substituted "music". I wouldn't read too much into it. He's very consistently said over the years that he "thinks about music and writing etc all of the time". There's nothing controversial about it. I think it's pretty apparent over the years that Perry just didn't enjoy performing live night after night for any number of reasons.

And finally, yeah cause Dan Rather would be the very first person alive to ask Steve Perry if he was gonna rejoin Journey. :roll:

I can't figure out why people can't just get comfortable with the fact that the guy has moved on and isn't going to do the Journey thing again. It's not the end of the world. And I also can't imagine why people would want him to at this point. There is no way he pulls off that catalog. And he's smart enough to know that.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:03 am

Well, what I think Perry means by that is the 'business' of music. For ROR, he bit off way more than he could handle...essentially taking ownership of the entire project. Then he goes and records "Against The Wall" and Sony refuses it. Then he takes his time to do FTLOSM but Sony wants him in Journey and they broker a deal to release two more FTLOSM singles (which Sony did't really promote), and Perry has to cancel his tour. In addition, he has this general attitude that he has an idea of how he wants his music to be, and that is that...and he pushes and argues for it incessantly...he has talked about his in other interviews the "boy, I wanted it and I just had to have it that way." But, when other people are involved, he runs them over to get his way. So, there is all this political stuff with the label, the band, even being solo he has to deal with the constant question of if he will rejoin Journey - especially back in the early 90's. Then there are fans demanding a certain amount of attention. All of that combined is the business of music, and that is what I think he was burned out of.

That is much different then going to the studio on his own time, on his own budget, with his own ideas, to record things that may, or may not, get released. To me, he treats music almost like a hobby now...not a job or a business...just something fun to do in his spare time that he enjoys in his 70's. That's not a bad thing.

I think the people who are still critiquing Perry just don't get that. It's not about being the best singer ever, writing and singing the best songs ever. It's just putting it out there for anybody who DOES care and saying, "this is where I'm at now." In that case, the critics really don't matter.
Monker
MP3

Postby Marabelle » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:49 am

I salute you. I would not think that you’d understand it but you put it into words I understand.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Monker wrote:Well, what I think Perry means by that is the 'business' of music. For ROR, he bit off way more than he could handle...essentially taking ownership of the entire project. Then he goes and records "Against The Wall" and Sony refuses it. Then he takes his time to do FTLOSM but Sony wants him in Journey and they broker a deal to release two more FTLOSM singles (which Sony did't really promote), and Perry has to cancel his tour. In addition, he has this general attitude that he has an idea of how he wants his music to be, and that is that...and he pushes and argues for it incessantly...he has talked about his in other interviews the "boy, I wanted it and I just had to have it that way." But, when other people are involved, he runs them over to get his way. So, there is all this political stuff with the label, the band, even being solo he has to deal with the constant question of if he will rejoin Journey - especially back in the early 90's. Then there are fans demanding a certain amount of attention. All of that combined is the business of music, and that is what I think he was burned out of.

That is much different then going to the studio on his own time, on his own budget, with his own ideas, to record things that may, or may not, get released. To me, he treats music almost like a hobby now...not a job or a business...just something fun to do in his spare time that he enjoys in his 70's. That's not a bad thing.

I think the people who are still critiquing Perry just don't get that. It's not about being the best singer ever, writing and singing the best songs ever. It's just putting it out there for anybody who DOES care and saying, "this is where I'm at now." In that case, the critics really don't matter.

WOW! That makes sense. I was thinking Perry is flakey and like he said he moves with his emotions or whatever. So, I think Perry could wake up any day and say, "I want to be back in Journey." And then he would call Jon and say, "I want back into Journey, but you have to bring back Steve Smith and Ross Vallory."
Jon would say, "Let me talk to Neal." And then Jon would say, "Neal, Perry called and said he wants back in, but he wants to bring back the guys who tried to take over the band. We aren't going to do that; are we?"
Neal would yell, "Yes! Tell him we will do it!"
And then they would scrap the double album they recorded and make a new album of mostly ballads with Perry. But of course, you cannot ask Perry if he will ever return to Journey because he doesn't know. It depends how he feels on a particular day in the future.
Of course, the idea of Perry treating music like a hobby makes sense. So, Journey doesn't hold any thrill for him because he doesn't want to work that hard and tour and everything. What you said makes sense!
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:14 am

I encourage you all to listen to the Katie Couric interview with Steve. Far better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOV0ii8SnEo
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:53 pm

To be fair to Steve Perry, I believe Neal Schon is also flakey. I think when you are very creative you have to move with your feelings. Thank GOD Journey had Herbie Herbert who came up with a plan and they stuck to it until Steve Perry derailed the plan with Raised on Radio.
Also, I was thinking how it was funny when Journey first started way before Steve Perry, they were doing it for fun, but then Sony put their foot down and demanded they get album sales. So, they brought in Perry and the band started working really hard and touring their butts off and they sold the albums and got very popular. But now Perry wants to do music just for fun just like Journey was doing at the very beginning! Ironic?
Perry deserves to make music on his terms and do whatever pleases him now. I think Journey and Steve Perry are better off apart. So, everything is cool the way it is right now.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:06 am

JourneyHard wrote:
Monker wrote:Well, what I think Perry means by that is the 'business' of music. For ROR, he bit off way more than he could handle...essentially taking ownership of the entire project. Then he goes and records "Against The Wall" and Sony refuses it. Then he takes his time to do FTLOSM but Sony wants him in Journey and they broker a deal to release two more FTLOSM singles (which Sony did't really promote), and Perry has to cancel his tour. In addition, he has this general attitude that he has an idea of how he wants his music to be, and that is that...and he pushes and argues for it incessantly...he has talked about his in other interviews the "boy, I wanted it and I just had to have it that way." But, when other people are involved, he runs them over to get his way. So, there is all this political stuff with the label, the band, even being solo he has to deal with the constant question of if he will rejoin Journey - especially back in the early 90's. Then there are fans demanding a certain amount of attention. All of that combined is the business of music, and that is what I think he was burned out of.

WOW! That makes sense. I was thinking Perry is flakey and like he said he moves with his emotions or whatever. So, I think Perry could wake up any day and say, "I want to be back in Journey." And then he would call Jon and say, "I want back into Journey, but you have to bring back Steve Smith and Ross Vallory."
Jon would say, "Let me talk to Neal." And then Jon would say, "Neal, Perry called and said he wants back in, but he wants to bring back the guys who tried to take over the band. We aren't going to do that; are we?"
And then they would scrap the double album they recorded and make a new album of mostly ballads with Perry. But of course, you cannot ask Perry if he will ever return to Journey because he doesn't know. It depends how he feels on a particular day in the future.
Of course, the idea of Perry treating music like a hobby makes sense. So, Journey doesn't hold any thrill for him because he doesn't want to work that hard and tour and everything. What you said makes sense!

Steve flakey??? Huh??? 30 years of NO I am not singing with Journey not even at the RRHOF is...what??? If that isn't steadfast, mule headed willpower then... I don't know what to say. Steve as NOT going to jump up and say "yippee I'm going to do guest vocals with Journey" tomorrow or any day. If he was flakey you would not be hearing from him despite a promise he made to his late gf. Flakey people to my knowledge don't build home studios and hire top shelf musicians...do they?
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:08 am

JourneyHard wrote:To be fair to Steve Perry, I believe Neal Schon is also flakey. I think when you are very creative you have to move with your feelings. Thank GOD Journey had Herbie Herbert who came up with a plan and they stuck to it until Steve Perry derailed the plan with Raised on Radio.
Also, I was thinking how it was funny when Journey first started way before Steve Perry, they were doing it for fun, but then Sony put their foot down and demanded they get album sales. So, they brought in Perry and the band started working really hard and touring their butts off and they sold the albums and got very popular. But now Perry wants to do music just for fun just like Journey was doing at the very beginning! Ironic?
Perry deserves to make music on his terms and do whatever pleases him now. I think Journey and Steve Perry are better off apart. So, everything is cool the way it is right now.

To be fair, Neal is FAR from flakey either. 40 + years in one band makes for a will of steel not of snowflakes.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:19 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:To be fair to Steve Perry, I believe Neal Schon is also flakey. I think when you are very creative you have to move with your feelings. Thank GOD Journey had Herbie Herbert who came up with a plan and they stuck to it until Steve Perry derailed the plan with Raised on Radio.

To be fair, Neal is FAR from flakey either. 40 + years in one band makes for a will of steel not of snowflakes.

Look at Neal for the last 40 years. He has been jumping from solo project to Bad English to Hardline to other solo projects and I think we can all agree Journey's Generations suffered when Neal was focused on Soul Sircus. It is NOT bad to be flakey. It is just what he is. He gets excited about doing new stuff and then it fades and he finds something else to be excited about.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:24 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:

Steve flakey??? Huh??? 30 years of NO I am not singing with Journey not even at the RRHOF is...what??? If that isn't steadfast, mule headed willpower then... I don't know what to say. Steve as NOT going to jump up and say "yippee I'm going to do guest vocals with Journey" tomorrow or any day. If he was flakey you would not be hearing from him despite a promise he made to his late gf. Flakey people to my knowledge don't build home studios and hire top shelf musicians...do they?

Steve Perry is very creative and talented. Being flakey is just part of who he is because he expresses his emotions freely in his songs. Right now, he is doing whatever makes him happy. He isn't trapped in making the same music over and over again. He put out an original album Traces and then wham bam he puts out something totally different, a Christmas album. Next, he could put out a Rap album. Your guess is as good as mine. Perry will do whatever he feels. That makes him flakey. It is NOT a bad thing. It is just who he is.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:24 am

JourneyHard wrote:
Steve Perry is very creative and talented. Being flakey is just part of who he is because he expresses his emotions freely in his songs. Right now, he is doing whatever makes him happy. He isn't trapped in making the same music over and over again. He put out an original album Traces and then wham bam he puts out something totally different, a Christmas album. Next, he could put out a Rap album. Your guess is as good as mine. Perry will do whatever he feels. That makes him flakey. It is NOT a bad thing. It is just who he is.

Again, there is absolutely zero proof based on his history that Perry is flakey. It's a ridiculous premise to begin with. And you're gonna need a lot more than "well he went from a standard release to a Christmas theme" to back up the claim. Doing whatever makes you happy, and making business decisions based on your preferences doesn't make you flakey.

You people are just butt hurt that the guy hasn't done things the way you think he should have done them, aka release more music over the years, and go back to Journey. Again, it's just a lazy way of thinking if you actually believe that makes someone flakey.

Good grief.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey