Postby danielb » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:23 am

Check out The Way We Used To Be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mKZiwhz6zg

Wonder where this will take them?
danielb
Ol' 78

Re: I feel for Arnel

Postby jrnyman28 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:49 am

"The 1st song I wrote with Steve Perry"......Lights???
Did Neal say Freedom out in April? But Jon says Summer in the UCR interview.
Maybe they talk a little too much now?
Man those high notes sure get away from Arnel now.....
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby RumTumJM » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:24 am

jrnyman28 wrote:"The 1st song I wrote with Steve Perry"......Lights???
Did Neal say Freedom out in April? But Jon says Summer in the UCR interview.
Maybe they talk a little too much now?

Wasn't "Patiently" really the 1st song they wrote together?

Also, on the front of Arnel's voice: It is quite obvious that he has been struggling for some time now. (It seems that the COVID break didn't help as much as we had hoped.) However, and I admit that I haven't been able to listen to the video that you posted, it isn't that bad in person. (At least it wasn't that bad on the floor at UBS Arena, Friday night.) - Sure, they likely sweetened up his voice with some effects like autotune & perhaps buried his voice a little at the really trying spots. But, overall, when you factor in the whole show, they sounded really good & Arnel didn't seem to hold them back too much. If anything, the parts where he noticeably struggled just made it seem like an authentic live show...to me at least.

...With that said, I hope things don't get that much worse as the tour progresses. Then, I'll admit that it would be difficult to defend Arnel/the band.
http://twitter.com/RockNationRadio

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you...ROCK!"
-Brian May, Queen
RumTumJM
LP

Postby ebake02 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:28 am

I don’t know why but I never pictured The Way We Used to Be as a song that Jon would play rhythm guitar on.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:04 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:"The 1st song I wrote with Steve Perry"......Lights???

It seems like that would be Patiently, if I remember right...he could do Patiently/Lights/Stay Awhile again, if he wants that story....or even just Patiently/Lights if they need the time for other songs.

The mix is terrible, too. Arnel is drowned out, Neal is the only one who is clear, everything else is just muddied together. But, honestly, Journey has been that way since the Augeri years. If Kevin Elson is still doing the mix, he should either fix this or Journey should hire someone who knows how to do it right and let that person (Kevin, or other) do their job. I listen to various Styx audience recordings and they almost always sound awesome....and they have always sounded great in concert. It's not a competition on who can be loudest...whoever does the mix just does his job.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:07 pm

ebake02 wrote:I don’t know why but I never pictured The Way We Used to Be as a song that Jon would play rhythm guitar on.

Could be another reason to hire a second keyboardist...to allow Jonathan on a second guitar. He's obviously doing something because when Neal swaps guitars, you can hear Jon's rhythm guitar playing....unless it is looped.
Monker
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:07 pm

Monker wrote:The mix is terrible, too. Arnel is drowned out, Neal is the only one who is clear, everything else is just muddied together. But, honestly, Journey has been that way since the Augeri years. If Kevin Elson is still doing the mix, he should either fix this or Journey should hire someone who knows how to do it right and let that person (Kevin, or other) do their job. I listen to various Styx audience recordings and they almost always sound awesome....and they have always sounded great in concert. It's not a competition on who can be loudest...whoever does the mix just does his job.

I noticed at the concert the other night it was hard to hear any of the singers. If Perry was with Journey, Perry would make sure people could hear him. This is what I was thinking. Anyway.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:59 pm

JourneyHard wrote:
Monker wrote:The mix is terrible, too. Arnel is drowned out, Neal is the only one who is clear, everything else is just muddied together. But, honestly, Journey has been that way since the Augeri years. If Kevin Elson is still doing the mix, he should either fix this or Journey should hire someone who knows how to do it right and let that person (Kevin, or other) do their job. I listen to various Styx audience recordings and they almost always sound awesome....and they have always sounded great in concert. It's not a competition on who can be loudest...whoever does the mix just does his job.

I noticed at the concert the other night it was hard to hear any of the singers. If Perry was with Journey, Perry would make sure people could hear him. This is what I was thinking. Anyway.

And you would be RIGHT. Perry believed that people came to HEAR the vocal artist SING. Otherwise why bother to have a singer(s)? If whomever does the mixing/sound drown out the vocal artist, then just make it an instrumental concert.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby ebake02 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 am

JourneyHard wrote:

Arnel still sounds good but he’s nowhere near what he was 10-12years ago. Sometimes I wonder if they’re burying him in the mix a little to make it less obvious.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:11 am

ebake02 wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:

Arnel still sounds good but he’s nowhere near what he was 10-12years ago. Sometimes I wonder if they’re burying him in the mix a little to make it less obvious.

Arnel might be doing too much out there. Arnel leads the crowd in singing the guitar solo part of many of the songs. I know Arnel is just having fun, but I am conflicted because I am not sure if this messes up the songs. Also, maybe he needs to save his voice.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey