Detroit Concert Review

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Detroit Concert Review

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:46 pm

I am back from the Detroit Journey show. Toto has three hit songs. So, they did one of them second and saved the other two for the last two songs. That makes sense.

The crowd loved Journey and Neal was on fire. Neal did tell a little fib when he said Lights was the first song he wrote with Steve Perry. No. Patiently was the first song he wrote with Perry. I would have loved to hear Patiently in concert, but no luck. Neal also was trying to praise Detroit for giving Journey a big boost with the Infinity album, but then Neal mentioned Chicago for some reason. I don't know if he misspoke. (Back in the day, Journey would have a week full of shows in Detroit.)
The Set List was the same as usual, but they did include Way It Used To Be. The fans accepted it better here than in other cities. I thought they might include two more new songs, but no luck there either. But the set list works by getting through DSB and the ballads early on so they can rock out at the end of the show. From a production point of view, this indoor show was much better than the outdoor shows I have been to in the past. They have a big screen behind them that you can see because there isn't sunlight hitting it because this is an indoor show. And the lighting and sound are better indoors.

No tribute to Herbie. They could have dedicated Patiently to him or something. Oh Well
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Re: Detroit Concert Review

Postby Onestepper » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:48 am

JourneyHard wrote:I am back from the Detroit Journey show. Toto has three hit songs. So, they did one of them second and saved the other two for the last two songs. That makes sense.

The crowd loved Journey and Neal was on fire. Neal did tell a little fib when he said Lights was the first song he wrote with Steve Perry. No. Patiently was the first song he wrote with Perry. I would have loved to hear Patiently in concert, but no luck. Neal also was trying to praise Detroit for giving Journey a big boost with the Infinity album, but then Neal mentioned Chicago for some reason. I don't know if he misspoke. (Back in the day, Journey would have a week full of shows in Detroit.)
The Set List was the same as usual, but they did include Way It Used To Be. The fans accepted it better here than in other cities. I thought they might include two more new songs, but no luck there either. But the set list works by getting through DSB and the ballads early on so they can rock out at the end of the show. From a production point of view, this indoor show was much better than the outdoor shows I have been to in the past. They have a big screen behind them that you can see because there isn't sunlight hitting it because this is an indoor show. And the lighting and sound are better indoors.

No tribute to Herbie. They could have dedicated Patiently to him or something. Oh Well

Toto has a lot more than just three hits. They basically have their own equivalent of their dirty dozen.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:25 am

And Toto has so many great songs from the 90’s and 2000’s also . FIB and XIV, the final albums are incredible. I’m glad they went out on top in the studio with two of their greatest albums.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:35 am

Onestepper wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:I am back from the Detroit Journey show. Toto has three hit songs. So, they did one of them second and saved the other two for the last two songs. That makes sense.

Toto has a lot more than just three hits. They basically have their own equivalent of their dirty dozen.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Toto, but they have three hit songs. Hold the Line, Rosanna, and Africa. I am sure the rest of their songs are great, but they aren't hit songs. I love pre-Perry Journey, but I won't sit here and say they have 12 hit songs when they have none. If they had 12 hit songs before Perry, they wouldn't have needed Perry. The fact remains that the casual fan knows three songs by Toto.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:05 am

JourneyHard wrote:
Onestepper wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Toto, but they have three hit songs. Hold the Line, Rosanna, and Africa. I am sure the rest of their songs are great, but they aren't hit songs. I love pre-Perry Journey, but I won't sit here and say they have 12 hit songs when they have none. If they had 12 hit songs before Perry, they wouldn't have needed Perry. The fact remains that the casual fan knows three songs by Toto.

Both I'll Be Over You and Pamela had runs on the Billboard Top 100 during their day. IBOY got to #11 on the BB Top 100. And songs like I Won't Hold You Back gets semi regular play on adult contemporary radio. It's enough of a hit that Arnel covered it during the pandemic.

Are they Journey level hits, no of course not. But saying they only had 3 is ridiculous.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:48 am

a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:24 am

Saying Toto had only 3 hits may be using the wrong wording. For the vast majority of people, they only know of three Toto songs, "Hold the Line", "Rosanna" and of course "Africa". I can't say I know of any other Toto songs...but I'm not much into Toto either. I also doubt most people in the US are much different. In other areas of the globe, I know they are pretty popular...but that doesn't seem to carry over to the US. That's not saying they are a bad band...they match up better to Journey than Billy Idol, that' for certain.

BTW, what happened to Santana? I thought they were supposed to join up later in the tour? Wonder if that has turned into the August surprise....a big concert with Santana and maybe Gregg?
Monker
MP3

Postby Jeremey » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:22 am

I actually love and regularly listen to “I’ll Be Over You,” “Won’t Hold You Back,” and also the lesser known “I Will Remember You” as Simon Phillips’ amazing tribute to the late Jeff Porcaro. You guys should check it out, good shit.
Last edited by Jeremey on Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Onestepper » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:04 am

Jeremey wrote:I actually love and regularly listen to “I’ll Be Over You,” “Won’t Hold You Back,” and also the lesser known “I Will Remember You” as Simon Phillips’ amazing tribute to the late Jeff Porcaro. You guys should check it out, good shit. I’m also reminded of another band very close to everyone’s heart that went through something similar in the mid 2000s as Toto did back in the early 90s when they released a greatest hits record with a new singer that didn’t seem to gel with the band.

I'll Remember You is one of my all time favorites. Also, Joe's "Lea" on the Fahrenheit album is a piece of art. The vocal laying that he does is just magic.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby r@y » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:10 am

Onestepper wrote:
Jeremey wrote:I actually love and regularly listen to “I’ll Be Over You,” “Won’t Hold You Back,” and also the lesser known “I Will Remember You” as Simon Phillips’ amazing tribute to the late Jeff Porcaro. You guys should check it out, good shit. I’m also reminded of another band very close to everyone’s heart that went through something similar in the mid 2000s as Toto did back in the early 90s when they released a greatest hits record with a new singer that didn’t seem to gel with the band.

I'll Remember You is one of my all time favorites. Also, Joe's "Lea" on the Fahrenheit album is a piece of art. The vocal laying that he does is just magic.

That outro vocal vamp on Lea I still consider as right up there as one of, if not their best, vocal arrangement on a track ever. The best part about that is......one of those vocals.....was Don Henley ! :D You can even hear him pretty clearly (singing the lines 'Lea do you still want me'...)
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:29 am

Shocked that “I’ll be over you” and “Won’t hold you back” aren’t bigger hits and not more beloved by the folks on here.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:07 am

Most of Toto's recordings are reference quality as well. Al Schmitt is behind the board on most of their records, he was a legend for sure.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 am

Yes. All I meant was everybody at the Detroit Journey concert including myself only knew those three songs from Toto and it showed. People were looking at their phones the rest of the concert. People have short attention spans. But people were excited about most of Journey's set because everybody has the Greatest Hits' album and know all the songs probably by heart. And that is what Journey played for the most part. It is sad people didn't know Mother, Father.
My guess on the August surprise is a Memorial Concert for Herbie Herbert. One show only. Steve Perry will NOT be there, but I am guessing Gregg Rolie will be there! That would be why they aren't even mentioning Herbie Herbert's passing on this tour.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:48 am

Surprised it’s already reported that Mister Perry will not be there with such fervor. I love surprises! Who knows what can happen in the next months!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby danielb » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:59 am

Journey are headlining so it's a given there will be more Journey fans in the house. Add the fact they have the bigger presentation, with big screens working in their favour.

Toto seems to improvise a lot more than Journey though, so I find Toto more impressive going by the clips I have seen so far.
danielb
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:23 am

If I say Perry will be there, I get zinged. If I say Perry won't be there, I get zinged. I can't win.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey