Breaking down solo in Send Her My Love

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Breaking down solo in Send Her My Love

Postby koberry » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:14 pm

Check out Rick Beato breaking down Neal's solo in Send Her My Love as a 'perfect solo'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtgvZreimGI

People who don't really listen to nuance miss so much about this band. They've said Journey is a faceless corporate rock or a sappy ballad band. But the rest of us are having our faces melted off and heart strings yanked by the sophisticated melodic compositions and songs within the songs
koberry
45 RPM

Re: Breaking down solo in Send Her My Love

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:59 am

Cool video, thanks for sharing. I've seen some of his other videos, he's interesting.

And I agree completely with what you said about having an ear for their compositions.

I was just watching a video about Elton John's original band (Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson, Davey Johnstone), about how well they worked together. Their individual parts were broken down to really give you an appreciation of their talent. A lot of musicians feel that Nigel Olsson's drum fill in Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me may be one of the best drum fills in a melodic pop/rock song. I always thought that Steve Smith's drum fill approach in Faithfully was similar. I often wondered if he used Nigel's fill as inspiration.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Re: Breaking down solo in Send Her My Love

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:41 am

As some of you probably know already, Rick Beato has named Neal Schon as one of his all time favorite guitarists, and he's done videos where he has played some of Schon's solos like Stone In Love in his greatest guitar solos list.

Beato also has a video "What Makes This Song Great" for Don't Stop Believin'.

Besides Steve Smith's drumming on some of Journey's ballads, I've always also thought that Marc Droubay did some great drumming by ballad standards on Survivor's The Search Is Over.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Journey