Saga

Loverboy, Triumph, Coney Hatch, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Glass Tiger...the list goes on...

Moderator: Andrew

Saga

Postby RockInDetroit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:02 pm

Saga has got to be my favorite band of all-times. They have been together now for 30 years, but unfortunately Lead singer, Michael Sadler is leaving the group at the end of this year. They have a final cd with Sadler coming out either end of this year or begining of next. Also, a farewell tour going on now. Lots of european dates and hopefully some Canadian Dates. Saga is such a great band...let's talk about them.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Moon Beam » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:08 am

Your gonna have to hum me a few bars or put up a couple titles.
I can't recall this band.
Shame on me. :oops:
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:11 am

My suggestion is to go to youtube. There most famous song/video was On the Loose. Other videos that got plenty of airplay on MTV: Wind Him Up, The Flyer and Don't Be Late.

If you knew Wave Babies and Stay in the Light by Honeymoon Suite I am surprised you did not know Saga. Another famous song by Saga in Canada is Scratching the Surface.
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Moon Beam » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:23 am

Thank ya muchly!
Ah yes, On The Loose is one I did know and it's a great tune.
I will check out the other ones you've mentioned.
http://moonbeamsmindgrounds.blogspot.com/
Good, Bad Or Ugly, Live It, Love It Or Leave It.
Moon Beam
Digital Audio Tape

New Stuff

Postby RockInDetroit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:50 am

Ok, I would like everyone reading this post to go over to Saga's official site. They have samples of their music up including a new song You Were Right. Take a listen....this is the most underrated band ever. These guys are so freakin talented. Been togther now for 30 years. Have maybe 20 studio albums in all. Take a listen you will not regret it.
RockInDetroit
LP

Saga Tour Dates

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:40 am

For those interested Saga has scheduled their last dates with Michael Sadler as their new lead singer. This coming weekend here are the Canadian Dates. European dates can be found at www.sagaontor.ca.

Oct 4th - Barrie, Ontario - Random Ranch - TICKETS
Oct 5th - TBA
Oct 6th - Toronto, Ontario - Jeff Healey's Roadhouse - TICKETS
Oct 9th - Brantford, Ontario - Jackhammers - TICKETS
RockInDetroit
LP

Postby Abbath » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Great band.
Abbath
Ol' 78

Postby YankeeRose » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:03 pm

I saw Saga live about two months ago. They were great, I was at the front row of the concert! The only problem I had, was the sound went off for the singer for one song! The soundman wasn't too good.

Moderator at www.vhlinks.com
YankeeRose
Ol' 78

Postby RockInDetroit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm

YankeeRose wrote:I saw Saga live about two months ago. They were great, I was at the front row of the concert! The only problem I had, was the sound went off for the singer for one song! The soundman wasn't too good.

WOW, normally top notch. Never been disappointed in a Saga concert. Updating previous post, original singer Michael Sadler is back.
RockInDetroit
LP

Re: Saga

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 am

FYI;

Saga has performed their final concert, however there's possibility they may be back in the future.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/mu ... e38033861/
StyxGuy
LP

Postby scarab » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:16 pm

So Saga had a 10+ year farewell tour?

I absolutely love the song On the Loose and remember buying the cassette and thought the rest of the songs were ok,
Lost track of them in the mid eighties because they didnt get much airplay in the states.

Remember buying Wildest Dreams in a bargain bin and just couldn't get into it.

Do they have any albums where the focus is more on AOR Rock?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 am

scarab wrote:So Saga had a 10+ year farewell tour?

So in 2007 Michael Sadler left the band for personal reasons (focus on family, I believe he had a young child) but they did replace him and put out an album. He came back in 2011. However it was 2017 when Michael said the band was finished and doing a farewell tour and a one off concert in 2018. Then they played at least a dozen shows this year in Europe and Canada and are touring Europe in 2020.

So who the heck knows! :P I saw them open for Styx in 2000
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Franky » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:19 pm

One of my TOP 3 bands ever. Hated the 90s and later stuff, but that can't effect my opinion of the lovely music before.
Saw them back in 1983 in Düsseldorf/Germany: http://pero.spdns.de/wordpress/perohome/?p=154
Still confused 'bout they didn't ever had that success in the states as in Germany.
Franky
Ol' 78

Postby StyxGuy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Saga was supposed to play my city (Waterloo, Ontario.. which is near their hometown of Oakville, Ontario) on May 23!

Postponed due to the current global situation :(
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Abitaman » Sat May 23, 2020 2:17 am

A couple weeks ago I loaded all of Saga's CD on my phone and started listening to them. Just listened to Heads or Tails yesterday. It was kind of a let down from the previous studio album Worlds Apart. The live album in between them was pretty good too. Have not made it to the 90's stuff yet.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 am

Abitaman wrote:A couple weeks ago I loaded all of Saga's CD on my phone and started listening to them. Just listened to Heads or Tails yesterday. It was kind of a let down from the previous studio album Worlds Apart. The live album in between them was pretty good too. Have not made it to the 90's stuff yet.

I like Heads or Tales a lot. It was my first album of theirs, which I bought on cassette. "The Flyer" and "Cat Walk" are great singles. They took some risks (not always for the right reasons) and ended up with some duds like "The Vendetta" and "Pitchman," but I love "The Writing" and Jim Gilmour's synth song "Scratching the Surface" (there's nothing else like it in their discography).

The real letdown happened with the next album Behaviour. Apart from two songs, it's too slick, too radio-friendly. Take Michael Sadler out of the equation and you can barely tell it's Saga. Only Ian Crichton's distinctive guitar style gives it away.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:08 am

Franky wrote:One of my TOP 3 bands ever. Hated the 90s and later stuff, but that can't effect my opinion of the lovely music before.

Check out their 1999 album Full Circle. IMO, it's a real return to form, the best one since the early '80s. If you like that one, the next one is House of Cards. Those albums brought back the "Chapters."

Franky wrote:Still confused 'bout they didn't ever had that success in the states as in Germany.

Puerto Rico loves Saga. That's as close as they got! I know, it's one of life's grand mysteries. Michael Sadler told a story of being on the beach down there, when suddenly he heard "Humble Stance" coming from a boombox!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:43 am

Is the band back together? I thought they broke up but there's a new album that came out earlier this year. Can't find much on it as far as reviews or even looking it up.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Canadian Rock Bands