Steve and Herbie

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve and Herbie

Postby indigo » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:11 am

Finally, he talks about Herbie.

Herbie Herbert, who was Journey’s original manager, passed away in October. You stayed in touch and friendly with him, didn’t you?

Perry: For about the last year and a half I was in touch with him, yeah. We had some of the greatest conversations. He changed my life. He gave me a chance. He heard my demo tape and believed in me, and his wish was to convince the band, Journey, to give me a chance to prove myself worthy and they gave me that chance. He saw that they needed something and convinced them I was that something. In one of those recent conversations, about four months ago, he said, “All I can tell you is when I heard you sing with that band, it was instant chemistry.” I’ll forever be indebted to Herbie Herbert.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... e-perry-ba
indigo
45 RPM

Re: Steve and Herbie

Postby Monker » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:25 pm

indigo wrote:Finally, he talks about Herbie.

Herbie Herbert, who was Journey’s original manager, passed away in October. You stayed in touch and friendly with him, didn’t you?

Perry: For about the last year and a half I was in touch with him, yeah. We had some of the greatest conversations. He changed my life. He gave me a chance. He heard my demo tape and believed in me, and his wish was to convince the band, Journey, to give me a chance to prove myself worthy and they gave me that chance. He saw that they needed something and convinced them I was that something. In one of those recent conversations, about four months ago, he said, “All I can tell you is when I heard you sing with that band, it was instant chemistry.” I’ll forever be indebted to Herbie Herbert.

It's good that if there was any negativity between the two, even after the HOF ceremony, that maybe they moved past that and let it go. It seemed to me that Steve's speech during the HOF was him trying to do that with all of Journey and even called out Herbie. There was an interview somewhere with Herbie, or maybe Neal, where Herbie did not seem to take it seriously. by the end, maybe he did...it's impossible to really know.
Monker
MP3

Postby Aaron » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:42 pm

And he ejected the dude that gave him a shot and got him the gig. Fuck that.

Perry was the absolute best male vocalist on the planet. However, as a person, opinions vary. How you can roll out on the dude that got you the deal is a question, someone should ask him.

Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:53 am

Should someone ask Neal how he could fire the management that were with them through the reunion, Augeri, Soto, and Arnel? Then fire the new management that stood with them through the lawsuit, and got them the various festival concerts last year, and the Vegas gig? How Neal could believe crazy stories about a "coup" and refire Smith and Valory, the same as Perry did? How he hired JSS and then fired him without any warning or real cause?

Seems to me that Perry is a bit of a nice guy compared to what Neal has become. And, it is a bit hypocritical to critique Perry, as I have for a long time, but not call out Neal for his own attitude and actions.

Aaron wrote:And he ejected the dude that gave him a shot and got him the gig. Fuck that.

Perry was the absolute best male vocalist on the planet. However, as a person, opinions vary. How you can roll out on the dude that got you the deal is a question, someone should ask him.

Monker
MP3

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:39 pm

Monker wrote:Should someone ask Neal how he could fire the management that were with them through the reunion, Augeri, Soto, and Arnel? Then fire the new management that stood with them through the lawsuit, and got them the various festival concerts last year, and the Vegas gig? How Neal could believe crazy stories about a "coup" and refire Smith and Valory, the same as Perry did? How he hired JSS and then fired him without any warning or real cause?

Seems to me that Perry is a bit of a nice guy compared to what Neal has become. And, it is a bit hypocritical to critique Perry, as I have for a long time, but not call out Neal for his own attitude and actions.

Aaron wrote:And he ejected the dude that gave him a shot and got him the gig. Fuck that.

Precisely Monker! But it seems that the rules are never applied evenly when it comes to Steve as those with that mind set constantly want to apply a different set of standards to him but not to the others.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:41 pm

People change management, disagree with management ALL THE FREAKING TIME in the music industry! Fire, re-hire, back stab, play nice. It SEEMS as if the time they spent apart and in contact/communication with each other was enough to perhaps to heal old wounds for BOTH of them. For you, not so much perhaps? Anyway, Herbie is dead and the world has moved on.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:12 am

According to Neal HE got them all those high-profile and festival gigs.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:56 pm

According to Neal, Lights was the first song he wrote with Steve Perry. Don't know why anybody believes anything he says.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:05 am

I thought it was Patiently???
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:38 am

yogi wrote:I thought it was Patiently???

You are correct. I think that is what it says in the box set anyways. It may even be in the BTM.

During the last tour Neal introduced "Lights" as the first song he and Perry wrote together. That is not what has been established in the pase.
Monker
MP3

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:35 pm

And then he shit canned him. :(

Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:37 pm

I don't disagree, it's shite on all fronts.

Monker wrote:Should someone ask Neal how he could fire the management that were with them through the reunion, Augeri, Soto, and Arnel? Then fire the new management that stood with them through the lawsuit, and got them the various festival concerts last year, and the Vegas gig? How Neal could believe crazy stories about a "coup" and refire Smith and Valory, the same as Perry did? How he hired JSS and then fired him without any warning or real cause?

Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:47 pm

Yes but Herbie was not "management". Herbie built that fkn band and put the guys together that worked to generate the best music of our lifetime. Herbie was the guy that listened to Perry from the chicken coup, gave him a shot and managed him to stardom. Perry would have never gotten the gig without Herbie.

So talk about management being management. Herbie built that fkn band, had the vision, the discipline and the resolve to take that band from shite to the best ever. Neil Schon knows this point blank. If that's management, have at it.

What it is is this, Herbie built that band, the brand, and the sound, the record names, he had the vision. And now he's management? No, he built the fkn band and Perry would be no-one without his help. So talk your fire, rehire shit. It's clear you don't know the history of the band or Herbie's impact. Carry on

bellairepark73 wrote:

People change management, disagree with management ALL THE FREAKING TIME in the music industry! Fire, re-hire, back stab, play nice. It SEEMS as if the time they spent apart and in contact/communication with each other was enough to perhaps to heal old wounds for BOTH of them. For you, not so much perhaps? Anyway, Herbie is dead and the world has moved on.
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry