More bloody holiday songs....

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

More bloody holiday songs....

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Hard pass.

“Maybe This Year one NEW SP original Holiday song, plus one more, could be coming!” -Sincerely, Steve Perry
Andrew
Administrator

Re: More bloody holiday songs....

Postby Monker » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:47 pm

According to the credits for Twisted Christmas, Steve Perry played guitar on this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNRupaN ... ouncil1988

Well, maybe not THE Steve Perry... but "a" Steve Perry.
Monker
MP3

Postby Marabelle » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:02 am

He might prove you wrong. It could be a bluesy, rocking song of the heart that surely even the most recalcitrant individual might be swayed.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:58 pm

Marabelle wrote:He might prove you wrong. It could be a bluesy, rocking song of the heart that surely even the most recalcitrant individual might be swayed.

Steve gave a shout out last week to Donny Hathaway, saying how he loves his song "This Christmas". I'm wondering if that's the other song he'll do this year? It's a great, soul song. Totally in his wheelhouse.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:48 am

Marabelle wrote:He might prove you wrong. It could be a bluesy, rocking song of the heart that surely even the most recalcitrant individual might be swayed.

Yes, he could do something like this, which I have always wished Journey would do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVigQ3c ... Band-Topic
Monker
MP3

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:16 am

Andrew wrote:Hard pass.

Last year ok, but saw the tik tok preview for 2022, so disappointed
No more Xmas please

“Maybe This Year one NEW SP original Holiday song, plus one more, could be coming!” -Sincerely, Steve Perry
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:06 am

He is OFFICIALLY on TIKTOK and song a tid bit of an original song that might NOT be a holiday song!
"Maybe This Year" could be the name of it.
https://fb.watch/g5juL9IOs6/
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Lerxst101 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 pm

I don’t get it. I just watched the latest release from Bruce and couldn’t help but imagine SP with that band.

https://youtu.be/GsTKEQzLkmw
Lerxst101
Ol' 78

Postby Abitaman » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:39 am

I always said I would pay to hear Steve sing the Phone book...I guess I can live with more Christmas songs, if at least one is original.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Marzdog » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:12 am

Lerxst101 wrote:I don’t get it. I just watched the latest release from Bruce and couldn’t help but imagine SP with that band.

https://youtu.be/GsTKEQzLkmw

Don't kid yourself... Perry gets ZERO passes the way others do, especially Springsteen.

Perry in a lot of ways is like a dead person now. He's was gone so long that we remember him from his heyday, much like when someone dies, say John Lennon, they are frozen in time. We remember John at 40 when Double Fantasy came out.

What's remembered about Perry are his Journey days. When you think about it, it was 8 years between Raised on Radio and For the Love of Strange Medicine, another 4 years to "I Stand Alone" and " United We Stand", then another 20 years to "Traces" and yet, he got shit on for his choices on"Traces". But the cover was cool...LOL
Marzdog
45 RPM

Postby jestor92 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:03 pm

What’s your take on Cain releasing holiday songs? :lol:
jestor92
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:41 pm

jestor92 wrote:

What’s your take on Cain releasing holiday songs? :lol:

Even worse, because you know what he'll be singing out. Jesus no.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby yulog » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:29 pm

He waited to long to come back, it's Christmas songs and piano bar solo cds from now on.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:58 am

No interest at all for me for anything involving Christmas music, not matter who is singing it. There is already too much of that crap out there already.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:42 am

I agree and sigh. The dude has become Rod Stewart. Sigh
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:19 am

yulog wrote:He waited to long to come back, it's Christmas songs and piano bar solo cds from now on.

Back after FTLOSM, people were saying they would buy a new Perry CD of Gregorian Chant, or even if he is reading the phone book.

Turns out that after they hear it, they don't actually want it.

I think he should just keep doing what HE wants. If that's Christmas songs, that's fine. I think he is doing these things more for himself then to sell platinum albums anyway.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 am

yulog wrote:He waited to long to come back, it's Christmas songs and piano bar solo cds from now on.

Back after FTLOSM, people were saying they would buy a new Perry CD of Gregorian Chant, or even if he is reading the phone book.

I think he should just keep doing what HE wants. If that's Christmas songs, that's fine. I think he is doing these things more for himself then to sell platinum albums anyway.
Monker
MP3

Postby yulog » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:17 pm

Monker wrote:

Normally I would just agree with this and rightfully so for a man at 75, but then i thought about it and realized Perry always has pretty much done what HE wants for most of his career, so he doesn't get a bye on anything. Traces is dull , Christmas songs are always boring and that duet with Dolly was an absolute disaster.
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:46 pm

all fact

yulog wrote:
Monker wrote:

Normally I would just agree with this and rightfully so for a man at 75, but then i thought about it and realized Perry always has pretty much done what HE wants for most of his career, so he doesn't get a bye on anything. Traces is dull , Christmas songs are always boring and that duet with Dolly was an absolute disaster.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby UrbanCoyote » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:30 pm

I doubt we'll hear anything new from him at this point.
UrbanCoyote
Radio Waves

Postby Monker » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:34 am

yulog wrote:
Monker wrote:

What I am saying is that I argued with people for decades about: Perry's voice has changed and is changing, that he would never tour or perform with Journey again, and I would argue various rumors of new albums...as well as the "10yr theory" of his releases, and the theory of a non-competition clause when he left Journey but had not released anything, etc.

At the same time, people were BEGGING for a Christmas album, "A Merry Perry Christmas", or whatever they called it. When I said that FTLOSM did not go platinum and "I Stand Alone" was not even close to a 'hit', they said they would buy an album of Perry reading the phone book, if he released it. There was vocal desperation for a Perry release, of ANY type.

I am not saying that Traces nor the Christmas songs are good things. I am saying these releases are for the people above and for Perry to keep singing and enjoying it....even if those fans above don't really care for it.

Also, Perry did not always get what he wanted....he wanted to release "Against the Wall", and he couldn't. He wanted to do his solo thing after ROR but was cornered by Sony to reunite with Journey (refusing to release singles if he didn't, and promising to release and promote them if he did)...all of which IMO added to his disdain for the music "business". So, yes, I think he should just keep doing what HE wants...and if fans buy it, fine...if not, at least he is doing "something".

At this point, I'm not going to drag him down for these releases....he is doing more with music than I thought he would at this point...and I give him credit for that.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:14 am

Monker wrote:What I am saying is that I argued with people for decades about: Perry's voice has changed and is changing, that he would never tour or perform with Journey again, and I would argue various rumors of new albums...as well as the "10yr theory" of his releases, and the theory of a non-competition clause when he left Journey but had not released anything, etc.

That new Journey book Worlds Apart goes into how greatly Perry's voice had already deteriorated when Perry, Schon and Cain performed at the Bill Graham tribute concert in 1991.

Perry would not have been able to tour with Journey for the TBF album if he had wanted to. He knew all along that there was noway that he was going to tour with Journey ever again.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:02 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Monker wrote:What I am saying is that I argued with people for decades about: Perry's voice has changed and is changing, that he would never tour or perform with Journey again, and I would argue various rumors of new albums...as well as the "10yr theory" of his releases, and the theory of a non-competition clause when he left Journey but had not released anything, etc.

That new Journey book Worlds Apart goes into how greatly Perry's voice had already deteriorated when Perry, Schon and Cain performed at the Bill Graham tribute concert in 1991.

Perry would not have been able to tour with Journey for the TBF album if he had wanted to. He knew all along that there was noway that he was going to tour with Journey ever again.

Whatever sources were used for this book, I still don't think the Bill Graham tribute should be a measuring stick for Perry's capabilities. That was a one-off gig after being away from performing for many years. His performance of the Medicine material on the album and tour proved he still had gas in the tank and could own what he was capable of at the time. The Journey songs on that tour may not have matched up to the performances from years past, but he killed it with the new material. His riffing of Cupid during I'll Be Alright Without You is still magic to me.
And IMO Traces and the Holiday album are of course nowhere near the Perry of years ago....but still a nice singing voice that I can appreciate.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:16 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

"Friends of Mine" was supposedly recorded in 1989 and he sounds pretty good there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWU1SnBurPY

Yes, he sounds horrible at Bill Graham tribute. I think there is more to Perry's vocal decline than what we have been told. I don't think it is just touring. Yes, aging seems to have been a big factor. Herbie commented on that.

The BEST he may have been able to do is a couple shows a week...to give him a lot of time between shows to recover...and I doubt that would have made the rest of the band happy, especially Neal. Perry could have said one huge stadium venue per week...and that's it.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Whatever sources were used for this book, I still don't think the Bill Graham tribute should be a measuring stick for Perry's capabilities. That was a one-off gig after being away from performing for many years. His performance of the Medicine material on the album and tour proved he still had gas in the tank and could own what he was capable of at the time. The Journey songs on that tour may not have matched up to the performances from years past, but he killed it with the new material. His riffing of Cupid during I'll Be Alright Without You is still magic to me.
And IMO Traces and the Holiday album are of course nowhere near the Perry of years ago....but still a nice singing voice that I can appreciate.

I do like the FTLOSM album, in fact I like it better than Street Talk, and light years better than Traces.

I do think that Perry was still definitely well worth listening to on FTLOSM, even though there was already a sharp decline between ROR and FTLOSM.

I still think Perry was worth listening to on TBF.

But like I mentioned, I really think that there was virtually no chance of him having been able to tour for TBF or any other album that he may have recorded after TBF.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby yulog » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:36 pm

YULOG "Normally I would just agree with this and rightfully so for a man at 75, but then i thought about it and realized Perry always has pretty much done what HE wants for most of his career, so he doesn't get a bye on anything. Traces is dull , Christmas songs are always boring and that duet with Dolly was an absolute disaster.[/quote]

MONKER "What I am saying is that I argued with people for decades about: Perry's voice has changed and is changing, that he would never tour or perform with Journey again, and I would argue various rumors of new albums...as well as the "10yr theory" of his releases, and the theory of a non-competition clause when he left Journey but had not released anything, etc.

At the same time, people were BEGGING for a Christmas album, "A Merry Perry Christmas", or whatever they called it. When I said that FTLOSM did not go platinum and "I Stand Alone" was not even close to a 'hit', they said they would buy an album of Perry reading the phone book, if he released it. There was vocal desperation for a Perry release, of ANY type.

I am not saying that Traces nor the Christmas songs are good things. I am saying these releases are for the people above and for Perry to keep singing and enjoying it....even if those fans above don't really care for it.

Also, Perry did not always get what he wanted....he wanted to release "Against the Wall", and he couldn't. He wanted to do his solo thing after ROR but was cornered by Sony to reunite with Journey (refusing to release singles if he didn't, and promising to release and promote them if he did)...all of which IMO added to his disdain for the music "business". So, yes, I think he should just keep doing what HE wants...and if fans buy it, fine...if not, at least he is doing "something".

At this point, I'm not going to drag him down for these releases....he is doing more with music than I thought he would at this point...and I give him credit for that.[/quote]

I get what you were saying, my guess would be most of those who would buy anything from him were the Swooning Loonies.
yulog
Stereo LP

Return to Steve Perry