New music from Steve

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: New music from Steve

Postby tj » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:47 am

JourneyLFN wrote:I hope you are right! And Christmas is right around the corner. Sales would be huge.

If the deals are not done by now, I don't see how anything gets out before the new year. Promotional materials, production, etc. are all time consuming and to come in at this late date would be very difficult. Remember, in addition to having to win back/over fans, any new album would be competing with others set for release during this time slot. My guess is that if there is anything new, the work has already been done or we won't see it until after the new year.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:35 pm

slucero wrote:I doubt it...

These days having any "name recognition" at all is a pre-requisite to getting a deal with a major. It costs a fortune to break an unknown artist... who would likely have a very small fanbase compared to Perry.

Perry is also selling an album... not singles to Millenials, who barely know who he is.. to try and do that would be stupid.

Perry's demo is Female Boomers. It is WAY less risky and would cost orders of magnitude less money to re-introduce Perry to this built-in demographic, than it would to try an sell singles to Millenials, who will likely buy follow on singles after they hear the songs from their Boomer parents...

This album has to be GREAT, and I have no doubt that it is, because Perry wouldn't even TALK about putting it out that if the feedback while he was recording/mixing wasn't positive.

Because of that... no label is gonna pass up that kind of easy and less expensive revenue.

My bet is that there's a bidding war going on..

Major labels are not targeting Female Boomers for anything ( or male)
A great demand from a very small fan base will not create a bidding war.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:57 am

and that sad thing there is no radio station in my area that plays "new music" other than indie bands and bro country.
About 10 years ago we lost the only station that played Perry's When you in Love...
I wonder if I stand alone would have done better if the movie wasn't a colossal flop.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:52 am

scarab wrote:and that sad thing there is no radio station in my area that plays "new music" other than indie bands and bro country.
About 10 years ago we lost the only station that played Perry's When you in Love...
I wonder if I stand alone would have done better if the movie wasn't a colossal flop.

If Quest for Camelot was more successful and released through a bigger movie company, I Stand Alone could've/would've/should've been a contender for an academy award. IMO, it's on par with anything that you would have seen from Celine Dion or anyone else who would regularly represent in that category.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
scarab wrote:and that sad thing there is no radio station in my area that plays "new music" other than indie bands and bro country.

If Quest for Camelot was more successful and released through a bigger movie company, I Stand Alone could've/would've/should've been a contender for an academy award. IMO, it's on par with anything that you would have seen from Celine Dion or anyone else who would regularly represent in that category.

Armageddon was a huge hit and the Diane Warren/Aerosmith song was as well. Remember Me by Journey was a far better song, IMO, but got no airplay. Not sure who decides what gets released as singles from soundtracks, but they missed the boat on that one.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby FezzyChic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 am

It seems like years since Steve announced that he has a beautiful album inspired by his deceased love Kellie to release!
When I come to MR to look in and see the same dilemma of fans who patiently wait to buy a crumb of Steve's work for literally years....its bizarre!!
If an Artist is wanting to let peeps know that he/she is releasing new work, then there should be some element of regard to those peeps! Because disregard of continual promises to them is unkind!
I'm first in line to defend SP and his word and work!
However, although he does not owe the communication to his fans ....it would seem that to cause them to perpetually wait without an update in darkness is manipulative!
Neal Schon is communicating to SP fans to quell their minds, as I'm sure he awaits as well!
Mr Steve Perfectionist is driving his fans to frustration ...and doubt!
Although, he is worth the wait in every sense of the precious reward of the wait.....
Still, the "thankful" fans are certainly deserving of maybe just an update from SP about his previous press release of his very long awaited upcoming Album!
Imo!!
:roll:
FezzyChic
Ol' 78

Postby RPM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:20 pm

FezzyChic wrote:It seems like years since Steve announced that he has a beautiful album inspired by his deceased love Kellie to release!
When I come to MR to look in and see the same dilemma of fans who patiently wait to buy a crumb of Steve's work for literally years....its bizarre!!
If an Artist is wanting to let peeps know that he/she is releasing new work, then there should be some element of regard to those peeps! Because disregard of continual promises to them is unkind!
However, although he does not owe the communication to his fans ....it would seem that to cause them to perpetually wait without an update in darkness is manipulative!
Neal Schon is communicating to SP fans to quell their minds, as I'm sure he awaits as well!
Although, he is worth the wait in every sense of the precious reward of the wait.....
Still, the "thankful" fans are certainly deserving of maybe just an update from SP about his previous press release of his very long awaited upcoming Album!
Imo!!

well he is 69 things take time...lol...oh RockinDeano would have a field day with the "Loons"
holding there breath for an album (and of course a tour to support it right?) he should just release
it on his own site if its something he would like to share, his commercial appeal is way over but
so what.... we would love to hear it!
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby FezzyChic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 am

well he is 69 things take time...lol...oh RockinDeano would have a field day with the "Loons"
holding there breath for an album (and of course a tour to support it right?) he should just release
it on his own site if its something he would like to share, his commercial appeal is way over but
RPM

RPM,
Hahaha, yes it could be a field day for the "loon discrimation"! lol! Not my intention!
However,
We've had the Steve waiting and the loons baiting . .
for 20 some odd years lol!
And now we have the Steve baiting and the loons waiting ..lol!
Since 25 more years isn't an option for the Steve or the loons . .
My guess is, the Steve has a beautiful Kellie tribute in store for the loons!!
Hey RPM, me and the 'loons: are pulling up a chair next to you . . cause the Steve is worth waiting for!
:D
FezzyChic
Ol' 78

Postby St.George » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 am

FezzyChic wrote:It seems like years since Steve announced that he has a beautiful album inspired by his deceased love Kellie to release!
Imo!!

Amen to that. Couldn't have said it better.

That's why I told a few posts ago that he didn't give a f*ck about his fans: because that's what he's been saying for the last 3 DECADES.
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby RPM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 am

FezzyChic wrote:

RPM

RPM,
Hahaha, yes it could be a field day for the "loon discrimation"! lol! Not my intention!
However,
We've had the Steve waiting and the loons baiting . .
for 20 some odd years lol!
And now we have the Steve baiting and the loons waiting ..lol!
Since 25 more years isn't an option for the Steve or the loons . .
My guess is, the Steve has a beautiful Kellie tribute in store for the loons!!
Hey RPM, me and the 'loons: are pulling up a chair next to you . . cause the Steve is worth waiting for!
:D

Lol.....would that be a Rocking chair? :lol:
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:47 am

St.George wrote:
Imo!!

Amen to that. Couldn't have said it better.

That's why I told a few posts ago that he didn't give a f*ck about his fans: because that's what he's been saying for the last 3 DECADES.

:? :? :?
I am confused...I thought he was STILL in Journey 30 years ago. He first left in February 1987. He started an album in January of 1988 but Sony shelved it. He appears in 1991 with Neal and Jon for 2 songs at an impromptu memorial service. Then he starts another album, finishes it and tours with it in 1994/1995. He rejoins Journey in 1996 leaves for the final time in May 5, 1998. Since then, he has been musically active all the way until 2016, when he appeared with State to State doing background vocals. He doesn't get into the studio until Spring of 2015 and finishes the album late 2016. Then talks about it in 2017 and lawyer says they are in heavy negotiations in July of 2017. Soooo....when has he been saying that he is going to give us AN album and hasn't fulfilled it? 2 years is NOT 30 years!!!!!!!! How are you folks doing your math??? Let's see 2017-2015=2 years. Ok. I know I can count.

Wow. We live in a selfish, me-first society. I agree that he DOES owe it to the fans that wait with baited breath for 2 long, horrific years for Steve to come out of "hiding" some kind of response as to the delay, but God, people. Really?!?!? :( What in the world is this all about?

This kind of BACKLASH is EXACTLY why he is not on social media and is quiet about the album he has finished already. Trust me...he KNOWS about ALL of the BACKLASH and is quiet for a reason. Life happens to every...single...one of us and he is not immune.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I know I get frustrated and feel like laying out on the floor in a panic that I will never in this lifetime see or hear him sing another note! And that might be true but that is not what this post is about, no more selfishness, no more complaints because it’s about him giving to us those songs as a gift and a gift is a gift whenever you have it in your hands. I know I get carried away and everyone ignores my post but that’s alright because even with the frustration and eye rolling and deep endless sighs I do continue to have faith in him. It might never happen but you can never say he doesn’t know how to keep us all in suspense even if it isn’t intentional. And truly there is nothing wrong with and it doesn’t cost a thing to keep the faith even if doesn’t ever come to fruition because I think he has at least one more album in him if not two. I just hope he still believes he does too.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 pm

I have read that he wants a single album contract, with no touring to promote it. If this is true, then he seems to be having a hard time finding a label willing to take him up on it.

Though i can't understand why Deen can get his new album, with Revolution Saints, put out in less than a year..... with no plans for a tour yet....and SP can't get someone to sign him up. Must be something else going on. BTW, if you haven't heard Deen's new album, you really should....his voice is amazing.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby RPM » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:36 pm

perryfan61 wrote:I have read that he wants a single album contract, with no touring to promote it. If this is true, then he seems to be having a hard time finding a label willing to take him up on it.

Though i can't understand why Deen can get his new album, with Revolution Saints, put out in less than a year..... with no plans for a tour yet....and SP can't get someone to sign him up. Must be something else going on. BTW, if you haven't heard Deen's new album, you really should....his voice is amazing.

If your a label does that sound like an offer you would jump at?
Nearly 70 year old Rock singer who won’t tour, who most under
The main demographic of download purchasers have never heard of...
I doubt it’s a bidding war....just put it up on StevePerry.com and call it a day.
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby SusieP » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 am

Just thought I'd log in and see if there is any sign of a CD from Mr Perry after all the speculation during his appearance at the RnRHOF ceremony.

No?
Thought not.

Bye.
See you again next year. :D

#carrotdangling

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/ Twitter @smoothduo
Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 am

Marabelle wrote:I know I get frustrated and feel like laying out on the floor in a panic that I will never in this lifetime see or hear him sing another note! And that might be true but that is not what this post is about, no more selfishness, no more complaints because it’s about him giving to us those songs as a gift and a gift is a gift whenever you have it in your hands. I know I get carried away and everyone ignores my post but that’s alright because even with the frustration and eye rolling and deep endless sighs I do continue to have faith in him. It might never happen but you can never say he doesn’t know how to keep us all in suspense even if it isn’t intentional. And truly there is nothing wrong with and it doesn’t cost a thing to keep the faith even if doesn’t ever come to fruition because I think he has at least one more album in him if not two. I just hope he still believes he does too.

I have been meaning to respond to your wonderful post. I go back to reading your posts over and over, and each time they bring a smile to my face and a little brightness to my spirit. I couldn't let another day go by without acknowledging them and letting you know that I haven't ignored them and I am sure others have not as well. I can speak for myself when I say: Thank you for your years of faithfulness.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 am

Well thanks Miz Lady, nice to know someone reads my post. Even if I am out here in the high weeds! I guess we’ll see when his music is released maybe this year; maybe next, or it might get caught out here in the high weeds and cannot find it’s way out of here. I understand it. Might not like it but sometimes that’s just the way things are.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby KDOUBLEU » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:48 am

I guess no Christmas music from Steve this year.
KDOUBLEU
Cassette Tape

Postby kgdjpubs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 pm

perryfan61 wrote:I have read that he wants a single album contract, with no touring to promote it. If this is true, then he seems to be having a hard time finding a label willing to take him up on it.

Deen is signed with a basically European-only label with no promotional marketing (or even major distribution) in the US. Try and find Revolution Saints in your local Walmart or Best Buy. It doesn't exist. If you want that cd, you have to mail order it, and that goes for anyone signed with Frontiers unless they have a separate US distribution deal with another label. If Perry wants to sell 10k copies of the record predominantly overseas to an area that Journey never really targeted, it's a great place to be. I suspect he has his sights set on something higher than that. In other words, you aren't getting rich signing on Frontiers--their market is too small.

At the same time, no major label is going to take a chance on releasing an album by a hermit who has been underground for 20+ years (and basically another 10 years before that) without Perry doing the promotional routine and some agreed upon performances. Perry as a solo artist is known among the diehard Journey fans, but he's not a "name" these days. He's been out of the spotlight too long, and was never a huge draw on his own anyways. He had the chance, but that would have required releasing more solo albums through the late 80s and not going into a self-imposed exile.

Perry and Journey together would be a different story since there is name recognition there, but solo, you would have to do a promotional budget to reintroduce Perry to the general audience. If the songs are strong enough, yes it can be done. He has the voice if he has the material, but that marketing to reintroduce Perry doesn't come cheap. The other problem lurking in the background is that the "failure" of Trial By Fire hasn't been forgotten. That album sold less than half of what it would have if Journey had toured and done the promo circuit, and guess who's directly responsible for that decision. Plain and simple, Columbia (or was it Sony?) got burned on that one. If Perry wants the big label deal, he's going to have to jump through their hoops. Otherwise, just release it on Itunes and let it sink or swim.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 am

kgdjpubs wrote:

Deen is signed with a basically European-only label with no promotional marketing (or even major distribution) in the US. Try and find Revolution Saints in your local Walmart or Best Buy. It doesn't exist. If you want that cd, you have to mail order it, and that goes for anyone signed with Frontiers unless they have a separate US distribution deal with another label. If Perry wants to sell 10k copies of the record predominantly overseas to an area that Journey never really targeted, it's a great place to be. I suspect he has his sights set on something higher than that. In other words, you aren't getting rich signing on Frontiers--their market is too small.

At the same time, no major label is going to take a chance on releasing an album by a hermit who has been underground for 20+ years (and basically another 10 years before that) without Perry doing the promotional routine and some agreed upon performances. Perry as a solo artist is known among the diehard Journey fans, but he's not a "name" these days. He's been out of the spotlight too long, and was never a huge draw on his own anyways. He had the chance, but that would have required releasing more solo albums through the late 80s and not going into a self-imposed exile.

Perry and Journey together would be a different story since there is name recognition there, but solo, you would have to do a promotional budget to reintroduce Perry to the general audience. If the songs are strong enough, yes it can be done. He has the voice if he has the material, but that marketing to reintroduce Perry doesn't come cheap. The other problem lurking in the background is that the "failure" of Trial By Fire hasn't been forgotten. That album sold less than half of what it would have if Journey had toured and done the promo circuit, and guess who's directly responsible for that decision. Plain and simple, Columbia (or was it Sony?) got burned on that one. If Perry wants the big label deal, he's going to have to jump through their hoops. Otherwise, just release it on Itunes and let it sink or swim.

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realise Frontiers was a strictly European label.

I'm not sure SP would have to be "reintroduced" to a general audience. Seems to me that most people still know who he is, but maybe not enough of them buy CDs anymore, especially the younger generation. Too bad for us fans, who certainly would not hesitate to buy it. Rock and a hard place for both SP and his fans.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby kgdjpubs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:56 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, I didn't realise Frontiers was a strictly European label.

I'm not sure SP would have to be "reintroduced" to a general audience. Seems to me that most people still know who he is, but maybe not enough of them buy CDs anymore, especially the younger generation. Too bad for us fans, who certainly would not hesitate to buy it. Rock and a hard place for both SP and his fans.

You'll have to do more than you think. Anyone under the age of 20 wasn't even alive when Perry last released a new song. Outside of Journey, his solo career basically is a "one hit wonder", which throws you back another ten years. I hope it sees the light of day, but making it a success will require a large label.

The other wrench in the process is what he has recorded. What style is it? Is there a "hit song"? All those factors play a part in this. Hoping for the best, but it could be a long uphill battle for it to see the light of day.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby chad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 am

As big of a fan as I am, I’m not getting my hopes up for a release until it’s actually out.

Marketability and the product itself are still variable concerns…even for Steve Perry. Nothing’s a sure bet these days with a market this segmented. There’s also a more prominent ‘barrier-to-entry’ today with powerful promotional plans driven by radio/PR awareness and social cross-promotions that’s backed up by well-calculated artist appearances.

Knowing he’s a perfectionist, he may be grappling over estimates of how well it will sell. Or, realize his product falls short. Not in the quality of song/voice, but the style, genre and overall promotability.

Personally, I’d love anything he puts out and would be first in line to purchase. Just not sure how many folks there are like me out there.
chad
45 RPM

Postby RPM » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 am

perryfan61 wrote:
kgdjpubs wrote:

Just for kicks I asked a couple co workers early thirty somethings if they knew who S.P. Is....nope, no clue.
How about Journey? Sounds familiar .....mention D.S.B. and yes almost everyone knows then.
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 am

I have to give it to Steve. It was a very confident move of him to talk about his album to be released sometime this year. He did it at the risk of not signing himself to a label as of yet, and many of his so-called fans doubting him and some even (on/off platform) calling him an attention seeker or worse…

Many in social media platforms who were excited and actively talking about it have been very quiet out of respect for him, it seems.
To give Steve credit, he has talked about new music for quite some time and building himself, getting ready to put himself in gear. In 2012, he said that he was building a studio in his home and in 2013, you saw parts of it in several photos he took with various friends including Michael Lingston, (well-known sax player for M. Bolton and others) and finally in 2015, he went public announcing it on radio that he was actively in the studio working on a new album and hopes to have it finished in 2016. I thought that was significant because he did NOT say released but finished, and it was!

Then in 2017, he tells Neal personally that his album is finished and does two (2) interviews stating that. With that, steveperrynews.com (which is a PHENONMENAL fan-run website) posts them and these interviews have been shared over 2 MILLION times. I suppose when some (myself included) were more than a little miffed about him not communicating with his fans, giving us an update—what more can he say—anything else could be damaging or embarrassing. He, like us, has a measure of pride that he would like to keep for himself and now that 2017 is almost gone, he is keeping quiet about it, until he has anything further to say about it.

Contrary to popular opinion about his character, he does NOT dangle a carrot and those that get their hopes up through the propaganda and speculation of others end up blaming Steve; saying that he is stringing people along as the so-called Music Observer says he does. That is a COMPLETELY unkind and unfair thing to accuse anyone of doing. Steve cannot be blamed if others don’t believe him that he has an album…that’s completely up to them.

This solo album is partly inspired from his love (in the articles she went un-named but according to posts he made on Fan Asylum, her name was Kellie A. Nash), who lost her battle to breast cancer. He went into a lot of detail about his upcoming album as well and his lawyer, Lee Phillips (back in July 2017) that they were in negotiations. But negotiations are tough and this industry is a business and is cut throat and fickle…and Lee is one of the BEST in the business. The fact that a major label like Sony allegedly wronged Prince and Michael Jackson (both MEGA stars) and Journey (a MEGA band), may not have given Steve the deal that HE wanted. Of course…there are other labels…and unbeknownst to most of us…he might already have that deal but is deciding whether or not he should put his music out there…because it might be, upon 2nd (and 3rd, 4th or 5th) thought extremely personal. Unknown but pending further developments.

Peace.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby slucero » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 am

1. Perry doesn't need a label to release his music.

2. It's disingenuous to say you'll release it in 2017... only to not do so.

3. Perry has 3 days left to live up to his promise, hint, innuendo.... whatever it was.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:11 am

slucero wrote:1. Perry doesn't need a label to release his music.

2. It's disingenuous to say you'll release it in 2017... only to not do so.

3. Perry has 3 days left to live up to his promise, hint, innuendo.... whatever it was.

1. He knows that. But it seems to be what HE wants.
2. Yes...I suppose that could be true.
3. Yes...that is true.
bellairepark73
8 Track

Re: New music from

Postby Marabelle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:40 pm

It just seemed if he was releasing new music, he would have jumped on the wave following HOF. At this point if he’s still perfecting things, Time is passing him by and he might become the vision in the rear view mirror. I am beginning not to care at all. And if I m the typical fan, that’s not good.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:11 am

So when’s the new album coming out?
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby ScarabFan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 am

RPM wrote:So when’s the new album coming out?

Never
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 pm

ScarabFan wrote:
RPM wrote:So when’s the new album coming out?

Never

By the looks of things, I tend to agree :| :?
perryfan61
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Steve Perry