The Day That Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony Became Friends

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: The Day That Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony Became Fri

Postby efrasjourney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 am

bellairepark73 wrote:https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-michael-anthony-friendship/

Interesting, especially the part about Steve Perry. Did not know that.
efrasjourney
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 am

Knew he sang back-up vocals with Sammy, but didnt know he actually sang with him (on stage).
Also thought it was two songs, not four.

Its funny because I read an interview where Steve was asked about working with Sammy and he said he could not remember.
I know 1980 was a crazy year for Journey with recording and touring behind Departure, recording Dream after Dream which I assume was in Japan, and recording The Party's Over for Captured.

I can not believe in this crazy year Steve and Neal guested on this album.

And on another note I knew Jonathan Cain appeared on three lock box, but didnt know that Mike Reno also sang vocals on that single "Remember the Heroes" I wonder if Sammy still does that.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:12 am

scarab wrote:Knew he sang back-up vocals with Sammy, but didnt know he actually sang with him (on stage).

I don't believe that SP never sang on stage with Sammy. "I sing in that supersonic range that nobody can go above me. Steve Perry one time did a record with me. On Danger Zone, he sang harmony with me. He's one of the few guys that ever stepped onstage that could sing above me, without [going into] a falsetto." I think what Sammy meant was "stepped on a stage" - not that he and SP were ever onstage together.

Danger Zone is a great album and SP contributed on 4 songs:
"Love Or Money"
"The Iceman"
"Heartbeat"
"Run For Your Life"

Neal Schon also plays on "Love Or Money."
Lora
8 Track

Postby Aaron » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:03 pm

I always loved Sammy and his candor. He had reasonable range back in the day and is one of my favorite singers. He's not Perry's zip code on range at the peak of their careers.

I saw Sammy last month with The Circle in Indy with Night Ranger. Night Ranger was somewhat subdued compared to normal (not sure why) and we're real good as they normally are. A little light on energy but a solid performance. I've seen them better and worse. It was a good show.

Sammy comes out after Night Ranger, what a disappointment. He was a full step down in tune. The songs were almost unrecognizable. The happy songs I know were detuned into negative mode to where they were not enjoyable for me.

I think he'd do better to stay in the original key and get backing vocals to cover his gaps. I'm not bagging on him, he's 71 and rocking, awesome!. I'd rather he stay in the original key to keep the songs happy with support on the high parts like Brad Delp did late 80's. There's no shame in that and we keep things happy. :)

Lora wrote:
scarab wrote:Knew he sang back-up vocals with Sammy, but didnt know he actually sang with him (on stage).

I don't believe that SP never sang on stage with Sammy. "I sing in that supersonic range that nobody can go above me. Steve Perry one time did a record with me. On Danger Zone, he sang harmony with me. He's one of the few guys that ever stepped onstage that could sing above me, without [going into] a falsetto." I think what Sammy meant was "stepped on a stage" - not that he and SP were ever onstage together.

Danger Zone is a great album and SP contributed on 4 songs:
"Love Or Money"
"The Iceman"
"Heartbeat"
"Run For Your Life"

Neal Schon also plays on "Love Or Money."
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry