Question for my fellow Perry fans?

Strange Talking Street Medicine

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Question for my fellow Perry fans?

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:33 pm

Steve Perry is my second favorite singer of all time, just a hair behind Jimi Jamison, and just a hair ahead of Lou Gramm.

I'm curious as to how well any of you would rank Jimi Jamison and Lou Gramm compared to Steve Perry?

Assuming that Perry is your favorite singer, would you rank Jamison and Gramm close behind Perry? Would you rank them way behind Perry?

If you like Perry's singing better, can you tell me why it is that you rank Perry ahead of Jamison and Gramm? What is it that you feel is better about Perry's singing than Jamison and Gramm?

Many of you are probably already aware of this without me telling you? But Jimi Jamison sang "High On You" "I Can't Hold Back" "The Search Is Over" "Burning Heart" and "Is This Love." He did NOT sing "Eye Of The Tiger."
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Re: Question for my fellow Perry fans?

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:40 pm

Also, if you don't mind, can you please name a few singers who you would name ahead of Jamison and Gramm (Besides Perry) if there are singers who you like better than Jamison and Gramm?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby 19td73 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:06 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Also, if you don't mind, can you please name a few singers who you would name ahead of Jamison and Gramm (Besides Perry) if there are singers who you like better than Jamison and Gramm?

I wouldn't put these above Jamison or Gramm but here are few on the top of my head that I love. Perry is the king of my list also lol! But these are some of my alltime faves. Much respect and enjoyable to my ears

Freddie Mercury
Mickey Thomas ( Just saw him in March and still sounds unbelievable at his age)
Tommy Shaw
Dennis Deyoung
Rik Emmitt
Bobby Kimball
C.J Snare (Firehouse)
Kevin Chalfant
Gil Moore
Joseph Williams
Dave Bickler

There are so many more but ill stop here Love these guys voices,
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby 19td73 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:13 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Steve Perry is my second favorite singer of all time, just a hair behind Jimi Jamison, and just a hair ahead of Lou Gramm.

I'm curious as to how well any of you would rank Jimi Jamison and Lou Gramm compared to Steve Perry?

My Ranking would be close to yours with Perry,Jamison then Gramm in the top 3

Assuming that Perry is your favorite singer, would you rank Jamison and Gramm close behind Perry? Would you rank them way behind Perry?

If you like Perry's singing better, can you tell me why it is that you rank Perry ahead of Jamison and Gramm? What is it that you feel is better about Perry's singing than Jamison and Gramm?

Jamison and Gramm are pure rockers no doubt. Love em' But Perry's delivery was pure emotive excellence imo. I Love the soul sound he had and I;m a big fan of his heroes like Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Jackie Wilson also. The Temptations were Gold imo No disrespect to Gramm or Jamison. You can't go wrong with all three. Top notch vocalists all around. Wish Jimi was still with us.

Many of you are probably already aware of this without me telling you? But Jimi Jamison sang "High On You" "I Can't Hold Back" "The Search Is Over" "Burning Heart" and "Is This Love." He did NOT sing "Eye Of The Tiger."
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:24 pm

19td73 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:Also, if you don't mind, can you please name a few singers who you would name ahead of Jamison and Gramm (Besides Perry) if there are singers who you like better than Jamison and Gramm?

I wouldn't put these above Jamison or Gramm but here are few on the top of my head that I love. Perry is the king of my list also lol! But these are some of my alltime faves. Much respect and enjoyable to my ears

Freddie Mercury
Mickey Thomas ( Just saw him in March and still sounds unbelievable at his age)
Tommy Shaw
Dennis Deyoung
Rik Emmitt
Bobby Kimball
C.J Snare (Firehouse)
Kevin Chalfant
Gil Moore
Joseph Williams
Dave Bickler

There are so many more but ill stop here Love these guys voices,

I do not know who C.J Snare is, other than you having said which band he's from. And I don't really know who Gil Moore is? The name does sound slightly familiar though.

I like all of the others who you named though.

Bickler, Chalfant, Kimball, Shaw and Thomas all rank very high on my list.

A friend of mine who died back in 2015 was a mammoth fan of Rik Emmitt. Jamison, Meniketti and Emmitt were his top 3 favorites. Lou Gramm and Dave Bickler were also extremely high on his list. That friend of mine was a singer himself. He had a great high range like Perry and Emmitt.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby 19td73 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:51 am

I do not know who C.J Snare is, other than you having said which band he's from. And I don't really know who Gil Moore is? The name does sound slightly familiar though.

C.J. Snare was during the hair band era and imo very underrated vocalist. He still has the pipes! And Gil Moore was the drummer/singer for Triumph. Typing this made remember another great drummer/singer i really enjoy being Kelly Keagy of Night Ranger.

A friend of mine who died back in 2015 was a mammoth fan of Rik Emmitt. Jamison, Meniketti and Emmitt were his top 3 favorites. Lou Gramm and Dave Bickler were also extremely high on his list. That friend of mine was a singer himself. He had a great high range like Perry and Emmitt.

Thanks for answering my questions![/quote]
No problem! sorry if I went alittle off topic with naming so many of my personal faves. There are so many more that need mentions. Sorry to hear about your friend. He sounds like he was a true rocker and had good taste in music.
19td73
Radio Waves

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:03 pm

19td73 wrote:I do not know who C.J Snare is, other than you having said which band he's from. And I don't really know who Gil Moore is? The name does sound slightly familiar though.

C.J. Snare was during the hair band era and imo very underrated vocalist. He still has the pipes! And Gil Moore was the drummer/singer for Triumph. Typing this made remember another great drummer/singer i really enjoy being Kelly Keagy of Night Ranger.

Thanks for answering my questions!

No problem! sorry if I went alittle off topic with naming so many of my personal faves. There are so many more that need mentions. Sorry to hear about your friend. He sounds like he was a true rocker and had good taste in music.
[/quote]

Thank you for your comments about my friend, I appreciate that!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Funny, the only person mentioned here that I think would be in the same league as Steve Perry in his prime would be Freddy Mercury. The rest are just not at that level, IMO. Not that they are not great singers, just not among the greatest of all time, as Perry and Mercury are. The one person I would mention that would be in Perry's league would be John Farnham...and he kept most of his ability up until he had reconstructive surgery to remove cancer in his jaw and mouth....and he is 75. He may even return back to singing. In that way, longevity, I would put him above Perry.
Monker
MP3

Postby Jeremey » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:56 am

Tons of singers that I enjoy as much or better than Steve Perry or others on this list. But it's totally subjective. AND it also separates the song from the singer, which is hard to do. I love Steve Perry singing classic Journey songs, because they are great songs and he's a great singer. I didn't warm up to Traces, the songs just didn't appeal to me. I love Colin Hay from Men at Work; he's much less technically gifted than Steve Perry but he's an amazing songwriter in his own right and hearing him sing his songs is magic. Looking at classic rock or AOR, I'd say I love Robert Plant just as much as Steve Perry. Because I love his songs and the way he sings them. I don't like to listen to him sing with Alison Krauss, I just don't like those songs.

George Michael is, in my opinion, technically a better singer than Steve Perry, though that means nothing in the context of what you prefer in a singer. George has a touch more control I think and he's certainly a better songwriter. Both George and Steve have a deep R&B influence to their singing style, but Steve is more Sam Cooke and David Ruffin where George is more Stevie Wonder, and as a younger artist than Perry is more influences by Freddie M and Elton John. I'd put him singing "Praying for Time" or "My Mother Had a Brother" right up there with anything Steve Perry sings, from a technical standpoint - but I'd put Steve Perry singing "I Believe" or "Foolish Heart" or "After the Fall" above George singing "Fastlove" or "This is How We Want You to Get High" ...

So I guess that's my way of saying don't forget about the song. It's not always about technically who is best. That's the magic of vocals versus any other instrument... that interpretation of the song and the way a singer delivers it to your heart is always worth so much more in my book than technically who is best (be it guitar, drums, piano, etc).

Don't forget the songs!

EDIT: Now I have to listen to "I Believe" and man it's such a great song. Steve does such an amazing job on the vocals and the throwback vibe is perfection.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:05 am

Jeremey wrote:Tons of singers that I enjoy as much or better than Steve Perry or others on this list. But it's totally subjective. AND it also separates the song from the singer, which is hard to do. I love Steve Perry singing classic Journey songs, because they are great songs and he's a great singer. I didn't warm up to Traces, the songs just didn't appeal to me. I love Colin Hay from Men at Work; he's much less technically gifted than Steve Perry but he's an amazing songwriter in his own right and hearing him sing his songs is magic. Looking at classic rock or AOR, I'd say I love Robert Plant just as much as Steve Perry. Because I love his songs and the way he sings them. I don't like to listen to him sing with Alison Krauss, I just don't like those songs.

George Michael is, in my opinion, technically a better singer than Steve Perry, though that means nothing in the context of what you prefer in a singer. George has a touch more control I think and he's certainly a better songwriter. Both George and Steve have a deep R&B influence to their singing style, but Steve is more Sam Cooke and David Ruffin where George is more Stevie Wonder, and as a younger artist than Perry is more influences by Freddie M and Elton John. I'd put him singing "Praying for Time" or "My Mother Had a Brother" right up there with anything Steve Perry sings, from a technical standpoint - but I'd put Steve Perry singing "I Believe" or "Foolish Heart" or "After the Fall" above George singing "Fastlove" or "This is How We Want You to Get High" ...

So I guess that's my way of saying don't forget about the song. It's not always about technically who is best. That's the magic of vocals versus any other instrument... that interpretation of the song and the way a singer delivers it to your heart is always worth so much more in my book than technically who is best (be it guitar, drums, piano, etc).

Don't forget the songs!

EDIT: Now I have to listen to "I Believe" and man it's such a great song. Steve does such an amazing job on the vocals and the throwback vibe is perfection.

Hey Jeremy. Thank you for the response to my question.

I agree with you in most ways about who the best singers are being a subjective question and answer.

How familiar are you with Jimi Jamison and Lou Gramm's singing? Do you mostly just know the hits, or do you know a lot of the deep cuts from the albums that they sang on?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:08 pm

Jeremey wrote:So I guess that's my way of saying don't forget about the song. It's not always about technically who is best. That's the magic of vocals versus any other instrument... that interpretation of the song and the way a singer delivers it to your heart is always worth so much more in my book than technically who is best (be it guitar, drums, piano, etc).

Don't forget the songs!

And, what do you do when one singer covers a legendary band and can blow you away just as much as the original, or maybe even remake a song in a vision that is better than the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Yi6TV ... ovomestsky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv54giO ... mandoRamos

And, then inspires a third legend to cover the cover version instead of the original legends version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cro7kZ ... TinaTurner

Arnel covered it as Farnham's version as well.

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the song being important and how you relate to it. But, you relate to it because of the singer's ability to create a vocal that causes your emotional response. If he is the writer, he writes the lyrics thinking of the vocal. That is also part of the talent equation.

BTW, when I heard Farnham's 33 1/3 album my first thought was that this should have been a Steve Perry album. I think this song could have been on Traces....he could have even kept it in his range. Could Perry have done it better than Farnham back in 2000? I don't know...they both have a voice that matches that style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zNr4Vj ... eeTheRocks

And, if you want funky "Don't Tell Me Why You're Leavin'":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK9uhGm ... eeTheRocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKlO7w ... eeTheRocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxatb8k ... oshitzMico

Perry should have done songs like this instead of FTLOSM...or after and said "fuck it" and thrown hit singles out the window and just did it. I wish he had...if you search YouTube, there are some crazy bad quality pre-Journey things that show this wild R&B funky style so you KNOW he had to have this in his soul. I really wish he had let it out more than just a few songs, "I Believe" and "Don't Tell Me Why You're Leavin'" included.
Monker
MP3

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:28 am

Monker wrote:
Jeremey wrote:So I guess that's my way of saying don't forget about the song. It's not always about technically who is best. That's the magic of vocals versus any other instrument... that interpretation of the song and the way a singer delivers it to your heart is always worth so much more in my book than technically who is best (be it guitar, drums, piano, etc).

Don't forget the songs!

And, what do you do when one singer covers a legendary band and can blow you away just as much as the original, or maybe even remake a song in a vision that is better than the original:

And, then inspires a third legend to cover the cover version instead of the original legends version:

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the song being important and how you relate to it. But, you relate to it because of the singer's ability to create a vocal that causes your emotional response. If he is the writer, he writes the lyrics thinking of the vocal. That is also part of the talent equation.

BTW, when I heard Farnham's 33 1/3 album my first thought was that this should have been a Steve Perry album. I think this song could have been on Traces....he could have even kept it in his range. Could Perry have done it better than Farnham back in 2000? I don't know...they both have a voice that matches that style:

Perry should have done songs like this instead of FTLOSM...or after and said "fuck it" and thrown hit singles out the window and just did it. I wish he had...if you search YouTube, there are some crazy bad quality pre-Journey things that show this wild R&B funky style so you KNOW he had to have this in his soul. I really wish he had let it out more than just a few songs, "I Believe" and "Don't Tell Me Why You're Leavin'" included.

I think I have to say that Farnham is the best lifetime singer. Quality from early age to late age. Klaus is in there as well.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:34 am

Monker wrote:

Oh boy it's been so long since I've used BBCode LOL hopefully this quote looks OK....

Man, you won't find any argument from me about John Farnam's talent as a singer. He's one of the all-time greats for sure. I never was a fan but I never heard him but a few times here and there when people would post clips of him singing. Listening to him here, over the expanse of years, he's definitely a master at the craft.

I can totally hear Perry singing that more recent Farnham song from 2000. I think I'd probably prefer Perry's voice on that song just because he has that husky quality in his "soul" voice that few other AOR singers have - Farnham's got it here, but I prefer Perry's delivery. When I posted this a few days ago I went down the Temptations rabbit hole and listened to a ton more David Ruffin, and man does Perry have that Ruffin/Levi Stubbs loose resonance and husk that you don't hear that often outside of deep R&B music. And I am on board with Perry doing more of a Motown/60's R&B album of original music rather than coming back with "You Better Wait," FTLOSM etc. I mean, I get it, that was his calling card and the only way he could have come back with anything post-Greatest Hits.

But it would have been awesome to hear that full album of R&B inspired soul music coming from him.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:49 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

I agree with you in most ways about who the best singers are being a subjective question and answer.

How familiar are you with Jimi Jamison and Lou Gramm's singing? Do you mostly just know the hits, or do you know a lot of the deep cuts from the albums that they sang on?

I'm not very familiar with much of Jimi Jamison's songs - I know he was the singer for Survivor and I know Survivor had 2 lead singers and unfortunately I am not sure which one sang which song... I am much more familiar with Lou Gramm and I was actually a fan of Foreigner in the early 80s when I was a kid long before I started listening to Journey in the 90s. But unfortunately with Lou I'm only familiar with the songs on Foreigner 4 and their greatest hits.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:47 am

Jeremey wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

I'm not very familiar with much of Jimi Jamison's songs - I know he was the singer for Survivor and I know Survivor had 2 lead singers and unfortunately I am not sure which one sang which song... I am much more familiar with Lou Gramm and I was actually a fan of Foreigner in the early 80s when I was a kid long before I started listening to Journey in the 90s. But unfortunately with Lou I'm only familiar with the songs on Foreigner 4 and their greatest hits.

Jim Jamison was Survivor's second singer. The Survivor hits that Jamison sang that you are probably familiar with are "I Cant Hold Back" "High On You" "The Search Is Over" "Is This Love" and "Burning Heart" which was in Rock IV. You might also be familiar with the Survivor/Jamison song "The Moment Of Truth" which was in the first The Karate Kid movie? And Jamison also sang the theme song for Baywatch "I'm Always Here."

Dave Bickler was Survivors first singer. He sang "Eye Of The Tiger" "Poor Man's Son" "Caught In The Game" and "American Heartbeat" among other Survivor hits.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:25 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Jim Jamison was Survivor's second singer. The Survivor hits that Jamison sang that you are probably familiar with are "I Cant Hold Back" "High On You" "The Search Is Over" "Is This Love" and "Burning Heart" which was in Rock IV. You might also be familiar with the Survivor/Jamison song "The Moment Of Truth" which was in the first The Karate Kid movie? And Jamison also sang the theme song for Baywatch "I'm Always Here."

Dave Bickler was Survivors first singer. He sang "Eye Of The Tiger" "Poor Man's Son" "Caught In The Game" and "American Heartbeat" among other Survivor hits.

Thanks for explaining this! It seems a lot less complicated than I thought - Jimi Jamison was basically the singer for all of the songs most people know except Dave sang "Eye of the Tiger" which is arguably their most famous song.

I think Jamison's songs are great... his voice never "clicked" with me on an emotional level but he definitely is one hell of a powerful singer. My favorites he sings in order would be "I Can't Hold Back," "Burning Heart," "High On You," and "The Search is Over," although I think that melody for that song is a little too saccharine for my tastes. I liked Burning Heart way better than Eye of the Tiger.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:52 pm

Survivor did have a number of hits with Dave Bickler. This is where those songs charted on Billboard....

Eye Of The Tiger # 1 for six weeks straight
American Heartbeat #17
Poor Mans Son #33 (#19 on the Rock Chart)
Summer Nights #62
Somewhere In America #70
The One That Really Matters #74
Caught In The Game #77 (#16 on the Rock chart)

But yes, most of the Survivor hits that people remember outside of Eye Of The Tiger were sung by Jimi Jamison

Burning Heart #2
The Search Is Over #4
High On You #8
Is This Love #9
I Can't Hold Back #13
How Much Love #51
First Night #53
Didn't Know It Was Love #62 (#40 on the Rock Chart)
The Moment Of Truth #63
Across The Miles #74 (#17 on the AC Chart)
Man Against The World #86
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:56 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Survivor did have a number of hits with Dave Bickler. This is where those songs charted on Billboard....

Eye Of The Tiger # 1 for six weeks straight
American Heartbeat #17
Poor Mans Son #33 (#19 on the Rock Chart)
Summer Nights #62
Somewhere In America #70
The One That Really Matters #74
Caught In The Game #77 (#16 on the Rock chart)

But yes, most of the Survivor hits that people remember outside of Eye Of The Tiger were sung by Jimi Jamison

Burning Heart #2
The Search Is Over #4
High On You #8
Is This Love #9
I Can't Hold Back #13
How Much Love #51
First Night #53
Didn't Know It Was Love #62
The Moment Of Truth #63
Across The Miles #74 (#17 on the AC Chart)
Man Against The World #86

I wouldn't consider songs outside the top 40 "hits". Basically, what most people know of Survivor are the singles from Vital Signs, "Eye of the Tiger",, and MAYBE "Caught In the Game", "Burning Heart", and "The Moment of Truth".

I remember way back in the mid 80's I heard "Summer Nights" on the radio. I guess they received a bunch of calls and the DJ guy had to mention after the song, "No, that was NOT a new Journey song." Even at that time it was an OLD Survivor song...but I had never heard it on the radio before. I always thought it showed how hungry fans were for new Journey after Frontiers and before ROR.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:57 am

Even though Steve Perry, Dave Bickler, Jimi Jamison and Lou Gramm all have certain similarities to their singing voices, it always amazes me how many people confuse them when they hear them singing on the radio.

MR is the only music forum that I post on anymore. But I do view some other music forums, and I constantly see people confusing Bickler with Perry. Or Jamison with Perry. Or Jamison with Gramm, etc, etc.

Back when The Storm was about to release their first album someone told me that Journey had just reformed and had a new album coming out soon. I was a subscriber to the Journey Force paper and hadn't heard anything about Journey being back together. Plus, Bad English were releasing their Backlash album around that same time. So I was sure that it wasn't true.
But I called a local radio station and asked the DJ if she had heard anything about Journey being back together. She said both yes and no, that a few former members were releasing a new album as a new band.
I had already known that Rolie, Smith and Valory were putting together a new band, so I should have realized that it was going to be their new band.

I saw the Storm in concert twice. Once opening for Bryan Adams, and once opening for Peter Frampton. After the show when they opened for Frampton I heard some guy asking his friend if that had been Steve Perry singing in The Storm. The friend told him that it wasn't. But the one guy insisted that it had to be Perry.

I know that when Giuffria had their single out for "Call To The Heart" that my brother thought that it was a new Journey song. He also thought the same thing back in the mid 80s when he heard me listening to the Rock IV soundtrack and heard "The Sweetest Victory."
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Jeremey » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:21 am

I remember hearing "I've Got A lot to Learn About Love" on the radio when I was a senior in HS and this was before I was really any fan of Journey at thinking "Oh Journey has a new song out, that's kind of a weird stylistic choice after "Girl Can't Help It," "I"ll Be Alright" and "Be Good to Yourself" it seemed like a much weaker song but man it did sound like Steve Perry singing.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:21 pm

Jeremey wrote:I remember hearing "I've Got A lot to Learn About Love" on the radio when I was a senior in HS and this was before I was really any fan of Journey at thinking "Oh Journey has a new song out, that's kind of a weird stylistic choice after "Girl Can't Help It," "I"ll Be Alright" and "Be Good to Yourself" it seemed like a much weaker song but man it did sound like Steve Perry singing.

I remember driving out to the mall to get the CD at Musicland. I couldn't find it right away so I asked someone to help find it. He went right to it and took a copy to the register. He said it was a really good album. I said, "I hope so. You guys are playing it in the store right now." He paused and listened for a moment and said, "Heh, yeah, you're right."

I knew it wasn't Perry singing because I had heard about it on an online forum, and on the radio. I never thought Chalfant sounded like he was trying to sound like Perry...they just have a similar style. In fact, I think I like the second one, "Eye of the Storm", better because it sounds even less like Journey. They are both great albums though.

I remember arguing with people at the time that the Storm debut was the best Journey offshoot project that I had heard. That I could listen to it 10yrs from now (which would be 2002) and I would still love it. And, it turned out to be true. Even bands like Bad English, HSAS, Hardline did not stick with me as much as the two Storm albums did.
Monker
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:46 am

I prefer the first Storm album because it is more similar to Journey than "Eye Of The Storm" is.

I still like Bad English's first album the most though.

The Storm appeared on Rockline when their first album was coming out. On that broadcast they mentioned a story about how back in about 1977 or 1978 some guy (I don't remember who it was) had heard Steve Perry singing and he told Kevin Chalfant that there's some guy who's copying your singing. I don't think that anyone from The Storm was actually trying to claim that Perry was copying Chalfant? Just that they were making the point that Challfant wasn't trying to copy Perry either.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 am

Hmm, Jimi is good and wouldn't have made my list. Maybe I'm looking at the song and the singer. Anyhow, my list would look like this for male singers:

1. Steve Perry
2. Brad Delp
3. Freddie Mercury
4. Lou Gramm
5. Bon Scott
6. Hugo
7. Kevin Chalfant
8. Josh Kiszka
9. Tommy Shaw

I'm sure there are others I've missed but that's what comes to mind.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:21 am

Same here brother, it was awesome. Are you doing anything musically any more?

Jeremey wrote:I remember hearing "I've Got A lot to Learn About Love" on the radio when I was a senior in HS and this was before I was really any fan of Journey at thinking "Oh Journey has a new song out, that's kind of a weird stylistic choice after "Girl Can't Help It," "I"ll Be Alright" and "Be Good to Yourself" it seemed like a much weaker song but man it did sound like Steve Perry singing.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Pelata » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:51 am

If I'm only considering Perry, Gramm and Jamison, it's like this:

1. Perry (Perry is the GOAT, IMO)
2. Gramm
3. Jamison
Pelata
Cassette Tape

Return to Steve Perry