OFFICIAL DC Studios; "DCU" THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: OFFICIAL DC Studios; "DCU" THREAD

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:55 am

Finally Black Adam is recognized for the flop that it is and that it is probably going to lose money:
https://variety.com/2022/film/box-offic ... 235449487/

This was evident for weeks. Sad that it takes so long to report the truth.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:26 pm

So, it sounds like Wonder Woman 3 is canceled. It doesn't surprise me...WW2 is so bad it is almost unwatchable for me. So, if WB is canceling WW3, anything upcoming can be cancelled...in fact, everything seems to be in flux. If they are ending the Snyder era characters....what is the purpose of releasing The Flash and Aquaman 2? They could easily just cancel those as well and do a Batgirl and take the tax write-off...which it seems they need anyway. It seems to me that a complete recast of DC could be in the plans...and completely ending the Snyderverse and moving on. I think it is a good idea.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235276804/
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:29 am

WW84 IS unwatchable. That thing was a fucking massive turd. I never finished it with my wife and never will. Patty doubled down on her weak ass structure with Geoff The Snake Johns and got caught. Dodged bullet there. Good on Abdy and Safran to nip that now. Gal took to social media. She will return.

Better Deadline article breaking down this mess:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/dc-wonder- ... 235193778/

Charles Roven pitched MoS2 with a writer recently. Abdy and Horn didn't like it so they are going to wait for a better one and wait to see where Gunn's direction stands. They are "keeping MoS2's slot open for better pitch's".

Andy Muschietti was confirmed to show interest in Superman. The current hold-up I feel is the decision to move forward with a Flash 2 or not, depending on Gunn. If not, I feel MoS2 will be given to Andy. In the end, it looks like it's going to be a hard softboot with the returning fan favorite actors.

All eyes on the emergency meeting next week.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:45 am

Monker wrote:Finally Black Adam is recognized for the flop that it is and that it is probably going to lose money:

Wrong. It profited. Official.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:15 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote:Finally Black Adam is recognized for the flop that it is and that it is probably going to lose money:

Wrong. It profited. Official.

I don't think so. Post a link where WB says this....someone besides Dwayne.

Even if they did make the $50million that Dwayne says. it is still a huge flop. Look at Black Panther 2. It had a similar budget but it will be pushing $800million - DOUBLE what Black Adam made...despite the "Superman is back" hype and credit scene. Despite all of Dwayne's propaganda and bullshitting. But, even then it seems people are not happy that Black Panther was not closer to $1billion. It's a flop and it is good that the trades are finally admitting it. Dwayne can manipulate the numbers all he wants...but it still under performed - and everybody knows it.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:51 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:WW84 IS unwatchable. That thing was a fucking massive turd. I never finished it with my wife and never will. Patty doubled down on her weak ass structure with Geoff The Snake Johns and got caught. Dodged bullet there. Good on Abdy and Safran to nip that now. Gal took to social media. She will return.

Gal's post came the day BEFORE the news that WW3 canceled. in other words, she probably already had the news that it was canceled and made that post anyway. And, there is other issues besides the writing and director....$20million for Gadot and 15million for Jenkins. They are WAY over paid...bloating any budget for any movie.

[quote[
Better Deadline article breaking down this mess:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/dc-wonder- ... 235193778/[/quote]

I don't think so. It reads more like a bunch of opinions using one unnamed source to back them up. It's more about opinion and wishful thinking then facts.

Charles Roven pitched MoS2 with a writer recently. Abdy and Horn didn't like it so they are going to wait for a better one and wait to see where Gunn's direction stands. They are "keeping MoS2's slot open for better pitch's".

Yeah, sure. In the meantime, there is no plan for a MOS2...and that is according to you., "open slot" and "a better pitch", LOL. To me that equates to "you need to convince us that this film is worth making...because we really don't care if it is."

Andy Muschietti was confirmed to show interest in Superman. The current hold-up I feel is the decision to move forward with a Flash 2 or not, depending on Gunn. If not, I feel MoS2 will be given to Andy. In the end, it looks like it's going to be a hard softboot with the returning fan favorite actors.

This is why I think they would be better off to simply cancel Flash and Aquaman 2 and use those budgets to launch the first two movies of the DCU. These two films seem to do nothing but hang on to the past...axe them and forward with something new.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:57 am

Monker wrote:This is why I think they would be better off to simply cancel Flash and Aquaman 2 and use those budgets to launch the first two movies of the DCU. These two films seem to do nothing but hang on to the past...axe them and forward with something new.

:roll:

Gawd. Don't you ever tire of pushing your hate-on for DC? Why the fuck would Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom be cancelled when 1) it's finished, and 2) the first made a billion dollars?

You make NO sense. None.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:03 am

Monker wrote:Gal's post came the day BEFORE the news that WW3 canceled. in other words, she probably already had the news that it was canceled and made that post anyway. And, there is other issues besides the writing and director....$20million for Gadot and 15million for Jenkins. They are WAY over paid...bloating any budget for any movie.

Right. But ScarJo suing for more money (and winning) on top of the 20 million she was paid for the forgettable years-late Black Widow movie was justified? She walked away with over 50 million big ones. That cut deep into the ledger.

Paul Rudd collected a combined 41 million for Ant-Man and Endgame. Is Ant-Man anywhere near Wonder Woman's universal popularity? You know the answer.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:39 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:Gal's post came the day BEFORE the news that WW3 canceled. in other words, she probably already had the news that it was canceled and made that post anyway. And, there is other issues besides the writing and director....$20million for Gadot and 15million for Jenkins. They are WAY over paid...bloating any budget for any movie.

Right. But ScarJo suing for more money (and winning) on top of the 20 million she was paid for the forgettable years-late Black Widow movie was justified? She walked away with over 50 million big ones. That cut deep into the ledger.

Paul Rudd collected a combined 41 million for Ant-Man and Endgame. Is Ant-Man anywhere near Wonder Woman's universal popularity? You know the answer.

Perhaps DCU actors and directors should move over to the MCU where they can get paid a bit more. WB is in a huge debt and needs to make cuts, Disney is not in the same situation.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:44 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:This is why I think they would be better off to simply cancel Flash and Aquaman 2 and use those budgets to launch the first two movies of the DCU. These two films seem to do nothing but hang on to the past...axe them and forward with something new.

Gawd. Don't you ever tire of pushing your hate-on for DC? Why the fuck would Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom be cancelled when 1) it's finished, and 2) the first made a billion dollars?

You make NO sense. None.

For the same reasons Batgirl was canceled - a tax write off...and, as I said, use the budget for a movie in their new direction.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:14 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:

You make NO sense. None.

For the same reasons Batgirl was canceled - a tax write off...and, as I said, use the budget for a movie in their new direction.

Aquaman was too successful to warrant such a stupid decision. James Wan is a director with, count 'em, three billion dollar earners under his belt. He's getting paid whether you want the movie to come out or not. "Cancelling Aquaman 2" is not in the cards, dude.

Batgirl was a different story. I read it was CW-quality at best. That won't translate to tickets sold. They built no goodwill with that character beforehand, and the Batwoman series was awful. Do the math.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:41 am

verslibre wrote:Aquaman was too successful to warrant such a stupid decision. James Wan is a director with, count 'em, three billion dollar earners under his belt. He's getting paid whether you want the movie to come out or not. "Cancelling Aquaman 2" is not in the cards, dude.

Batgirl was a different story. I read it was CW-quality at best. That won't translate to tickets sold. They built no goodwill with that character beforehand, and the Batwoman series was awful. Do the math.

Not too long ago you guys were saying the same thing about Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman. It was posted here that WW2 was a guaranteed billion dollar film. Patty Jenkins is the most successful female director ever. My argument was that nothing is guaranteed...and in the end, Covid happened, it was released on HBOMax the same time as theaters, and as a result it is one of WB's worst grossing films.

WB is in debt. Gunn wants to move on to his vision. Because of that, NOTHING is off the table, IMO. Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, Flash, and Aquaman 2 could all be canceled. You just don't know what is going to happen.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 am

Monker wrote:Not too long ago you guys were saying the same thing about Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman. It was posted here that WW2 was a guaranteed billion dollar film. Patty Jenkins is the most successful female director ever. My argument was that nothing is guaranteed...and in the end, Covid happened, it was released on HBOMax the same time as theaters, and as a result it is one of WB's worst grossing films.

That's right. Unforeseen circumstances affected its performance. That must be taken into consideration. What we know is that PJ is no longer attached, but the studio wants GG to stick around. The next steps await.

Monker wrote:WB is in debt. Gunn wants to move on to his vision. Because of that, NOTHING is off the table, IMO. Shazam 2, Blue Beetle, Flash, and Aquaman 2 could all be canceled. You just don't know what is going to happen.

Practice what you preach, lead by example, etc. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:33 pm

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:Not too long ago you guys were saying the same thing about Patty Jenkins and Wonder Woman. It was posted here that WW2 was a guaranteed billion dollar film. Patty Jenkins is the most successful female director ever. My argument was that nothing is guaranteed...and in the end, Covid happened, it was released on HBOMax the same time as theaters, and as a result it is one of WB's worst grossing films.

That's right. Unforeseen circumstances affected its performance. That must be taken into consideration.

Correct. You guys do not take into account the possibility of unforeseen circumstances. That is what I have been saying. The latest is you guys saying that MOS2 is absolutely going to happen. You do not know that....you never knew that.

What we know is that PJ is no longer attached, but the studio wants GG to stick around. The next steps await.

Please quote Gunn or Safran saying they want Gal Godat to "stick around". You do NOT know this. The fact is that they may not even know this. “As for the story yesterday in The Hollywood Reporter, some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not.” -- James Gunn
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:17 am

The fact is you write/talk/act like Gal got let go or is about to get let go. She still has a movie left on her contract. You don't know jack, Jack!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:04 am

verslibre wrote:The fact is you write/talk/act like Gal got let go or is about to get let go. She still has a movie left on her contract. You don't know jack, Jack!

That is not what I said or implied these last couple weeks.

Canceling WW3 indicates to me that NOTHING is off the table. That includes canceling any of the other movies scheduled for next year, including Flash and Aquaman.

They absolutely could replace Gal, buy out her contract, and move on with a new Wonder Woman. If you don't think that's possible, you are kidding yourself. Right now, they have no WW film, no script, no director, nothing filmed. This is a couple years away now, at least. What Gunn said leaves every door opened, including this.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:06 pm

Welp. It is finally official. Total reboot. Henry announced his exit. I will now lay down my cape. It's been a fun MR ride all! Happy holidays to all your families as the YJ character is officially done. Up, up, and away!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Monker wrote:They absolutely could replace Gal, buy out her contract, and move on with a new Wonder Woman. If you don't think that's possible, you are kidding yourself. Right now, they have no WW film, no script, no director, nothing filmed. This is a couple years away now, at least. What Gunn said leaves every door opened, including this.

They could if they don't like money and/or wanted to cast a vanilla actress like Shailene Woodley (and I don't dislike her, she's just a convenient example). But people like Gal in the role. You must try to understand that much.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:52 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Welp. It is finally official. Total reboot. Henry announced his exit. I will now lay down my cape. It's been a fun MR ride all! Happy holidays to all your families as the YJ character is officially done. Up, up, and away!

:!: :!: :!:

Yeah, I don't know wtf Gunn is up to, but I think it's more to do with cabbage crates than artistic merit.

A movie about a "young Superman"...oh, geez. As if that's what everyone was asking for. What's Gunn gonna say when it flops?

Joe of AJS went OFF on Gunn today. This is the rant of all rants. I agree with everything he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROsTxro1KRg
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:16 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:They absolutely could replace Gal, buy out her contract, and move on with a new Wonder Woman. If you don't think that's possible, you are kidding yourself. Right now, they have no WW film, no script, no director, nothing filmed. This is a couple years away now, at least. What Gunn said leaves every door opened, including this.

They could if they don't like money and/or wanted to cast a vanilla actress like Shailene Woodley (and I don't dislike her, she's just a convenient example). But people like Gal in the role. You must try to understand that much.

All I am doing is saying it is possible. In review of everything that is happening, I would say it is even more probable.

Patty Jenkins says she did not walk away. She said she had the impression that there was nothing she could do to move forward with the film . So WW3 is not just open slot but a film that is not moving forward, period. Combine that with Cavill saying he is out, and it doesn't look good for Wonder Woman as a whole...including Gal continue as the character.

It doesn't matter if people like her. DC in general has had poor to mediocre sales for years now. If all it took is Gal being cast, ww84 would have been a huge hit. In addition, if all it took was Cavill being Superman, Black Adam would have been a huge hit. I think Gunn is weighing these options and is seeing that it is easier to just recast and move on then to try to keep some of these actors/directors, pay a lot more money in budget, and further tie into the past that he wants to move on from.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:19 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Welp. It is finally official. Total reboot. Henry announced his exit. I will now lay down my cape. It's been a fun MR ride all! Happy holidays to all your families as the YJ character is officially done. Up, up, and away!

:!: :!: :!:

Yeah, I don't know wtf Gunn is up to, but I think it's more to do with cabbage crates than artistic merit.

I'll tell you exactly what he is up to. He is killing the Snyder past and moving on to something new. It should have been done a long time ago. Recasting Superman and starting over is the ultimate way of doing that. Having Cavill out there with this uncertainty of if he will be in the role does nothing but distract and give false hope for people like you guys. I also do not believe Dwayne's antics did much to help this situation. Dwayne seems to think that the 'fans' have the power, but they don't...studio executives do. IMO, a lot of this backfired and the execs, Gunn, Safran and those above them, are telling Dwayne and those who think like him that THEY are in charge, nobody else...and are refusing to be manipulated by actors mouthing off to get fan support. I am also not convinced that Cavill was told to announce he was back by the studio. There is no reason to do that when a contract is not even signed...I would like to hear WB comment on that.

A movie about a "young Superman"...oh, geez. As if that's what everyone was asking for.

IMO, this entire thing is being misinterpreted. I think "younger" Superman is a better description...younger than Cavill is what he is getting at. It is a good decision so they can have 10 - 15yrs of movies. It sounds to me like Gunn wants to get back to basics with the character and not have this Snyder influenced "grumpy" superman (or Batman) with the history of BvS or JL in his past.

Joe of AJS went OFF on Gunn today. This is the rant of all rants. I agree with everything he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROsTxro1KRg

Yes he did. He also went off on BvS and how that movie treated Superman. He even joined Nostalgia Critic to do a parody of it...hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPi8li ... nelAwesome

When he reviewed Black Adam, he hated it too. But, he didn't want to go too far because he was afraid if it was not successful all of Dwayne's plans would not happen....and he was right. He knew this was possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHK-BH ... gryJoeShow

Alex: I'm going to round up to a 5. But, I don't think this movie is very good. I don't think you need to see it this weekend. I definitely think that seeing this movie this weekend sends the complete wrong message. You can not, and know he (Angry Joe) is not going to like it, and this is for you (Angry Joe) too, the more you support mediocrity, the more you are going to get mediocrity. If you do not tell these fucks that they can't have 40 chimps in a room writing a garbage...

Angry Joe: If this film fucking bombs, Alex, if you tell people "don't go fucking see the film," we're not gonna see what I want to see. Everything is going to fall apart. Fucking DC and WB are going to be like 'fuck it'.

"So, the movie you want will have this level of effort?"

"No, I have to have him (Dwayne) admit that this was not a very good film but NEXT TIME we got it, don't worry about it."

Angry Joe KNEW this would happen...so, if you were paying attention to Angry Joe, this latest rant is expected.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:17 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:22 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:20 pm

This was vetted publicaly years ago and resulted in Gunn being fired by Disney.

Funny you guys said nothing about it when he made "The Suicide Squad" for DC.
Funny you guys said nothing about it when he made "Peacemaker" for HBOMax. In fact it was glorified here when articles said how popular it was.
Funny you guys said nothing about it when he was first hired to manage the DCU. in fact, you praised the decision.

Funny how Gunn makes decisions you don't like and you reach for news that is five years old, forgiven by WB when they hired him for Suicide Squad. Forgiven by Disney when they brought him back for GotG3 and the Holiday special. It shows a lot about the critics character and motives that they only bring it up now. Kinda pathetic, actually.

verslibre wrote:Image
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/james-gunn ... turbulence

"One of the things Peter & I were aware of when we took the job as heads of DC Studios was a certain minority of people online that could be, well, uproarious & unkind, to say the least.
Our choices for the DCU are based upon what we believe is best for the story & best for the DC characters who have been around for nearly 85 years. Perhaps these choices are great, perhaps not, but they are made with sincere hearts & integrity & always with the story in mind.
No one loves to be harassed or called names – but, to be frank, we’ve been through significantly worse. Disrespectful outcry will never, ever affect our actions.
We were aware there would be a period of turbulence when we took this gig, & we knew we would sometimes have to make difficult & not-so-obvious choices, especially in the wake of the fractious nature of what came before us.
But this means little to us in comparison to our jobs as artists & custodians in helping to create a wide & wonderful future for DC."
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:24 am

Monker wrote:This was vetted publicaly years ago and resulted in Gunn being fired by Disney.

Funny you guys said nothing about it when he made "The Suicide Squad" for DC.
Funny you guys said nothing about it when he made "Peacemaker" for HBOMax. In fact it was glorified here when articles said how popular it was.
Funny you guys said nothing about it when he was first hired to manage the DCU. in fact, you praised the decision.

Funny how Gunn makes decisions you don't like and you reach for news that is five years old, forgiven by WB when they hired him for Suicide Squad. Forgiven by Disney when they brought him back for GotG3 and the Holiday special. It shows a lot about the critics character and motives that they only bring it up now. Kinda pathetic, actually.

The only thing that is pathetic is your raging boner for the guy. I retained a positive outlook from the get-go; Gunn's already made moves to sour it. We're going to get movies with Marvel characters dressed like DC properties. That's what's going to happen.

As for "saying nothing about it" when he made The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker, etc., dude, it's not printed out and taped to my wall. I had forgotten about that. Then I remembered and it made me realize that putting blind faith in the guy was probably a mistake, because that's where his head is at. Plus, everything he does on social media now smacks of damage control. He's feeling the heat, and may even decide the kitchen's too hot at some point.

Take your mouth off his cap, for f's sake.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:34 am

Ray Fisher (@Ray8Fisher) on Twitter:

"The way @JamesGunn uses fake grace on Twitter is really funny.

Him going to bat for Joss Whedon, pseudo-apologizing for it, and then deleting it immediately before taking his new DC job is not.

Refusing to apologize for toxic behavior seems to be a job requirement for WB/DC"

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1 ... 8984179712
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:36 am

P.S.

Monker wrote:This was vetted publicaly years ago and resulted in Gunn being fired by Disney.

And they hired him back, Junior.

Those tweets are no less disgusting than when he initially made each and every one.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:37 am

Ah, so now Dwayne has been fired as Black Adam. Guess you need to post some more Gunn tweets. Seems to be helping a lot!
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:07 am

Monker wrote:Seems to be helping a lot!

Your boy doesn't need any help killing ticket sales way ahead of time.
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara