Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 am

Where's that Captain Marvel teaser? :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:07 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Director James Gunn fired from GoTG3 after old tweets surface. Developing.

Gunn came from Troma. For Disney to act outraged now is disingenuous to the max. I think GOTG mostly sucks. However, Gunn never lied about his shock cinema/provocative past.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:32 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Director James Gunn fired from GoTG3 after old tweets surface. Developing.

Gunn came from Troma. For Disney to act outraged now is disingenuous to the max. I think GOTG mostly sucks. However, Gunn never lied about his shock cinema/provocative past.

I agree with the above. The thing is, Disney wants to be the Duke of New York, A-Number-One. They don't want anyone with that kind of past (or sense of humor) connected to them.

I have a pretty nasty sense of humor myself, but I draw the line at kids. That's what most of his tweets looked like. And he did go out of his way to delete ten thousand of them.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:49 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 am

Look like this thread could use some more action. This is from Ed Norton's speech on The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis last night.

@Nutcase020

Ed Norton just ROASTED Marvel...
"I tried being like Bruce. I did a big action film, The Incredible Hulk. Know what went wrong? I wanted a better script. I thought we should make at least one Marvel movie that's as good as the worst Christopher Nolan movie, but what do I know."

https://twitter.com/Nutcase020/status/1023767350053621760
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 pm

verslibre wrote:Look like this thread could use some more action. This is from Ed Norton's speech on The Comedy Central Roast of Bruce Willis last night.

@Nutcase020

Ed Norton just ROASTED Marvel...
"I tried being like Bruce. I did a big action film, The Incredible Hulk. Know what went wrong? I wanted a better script. I thought we should make at least one Marvel movie that's as good as the worst Christopher Nolan movie, but what do I know."

https://twitter.com/Nutcase020/status/1023767350053621760

I thought TIH was great. Ang Lee's version was pretentious, but also had some highlights.
Norton's wisecracks would actually sting if Hulk was universally unpopular like Cyborg or Cavill's Superman or other members of the Justice League.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:59 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Norton's wisecracks would actually sting if Hulk was universally unpopular like Cyborg or Cavill's Superman or other members of the Justice League.

SuperCav and Cyborg aren't "universally unpopular." A lot of people want to see Cavill hang around in the cape, and so much of Cyborg's backstory was left on the cutting room floor by WB that it's erroneous to say anyone could really fashion a firm opinion of the character short of "Ray Fisher is a solid Victor Stone/Cyborg."

Stick to the facts.

Despite the character's popularity, Hulk's first movie was shit and nobody talks about it except to bash it. TIH, while a significantly better film, was a box office dud, and Marvel has to share distribution dough with Universal, who still hold those rights to the Hulk. So they keep him around in other movies because he's better in short bursts, anyway. For now.

Some of the best Hulk stories don't have "Hulk smash!" at their epicenter, but general audiences won't pay to see them, i.e. there's no money in producing/releasing them as movies.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am

Disney Unlikely to Rehire ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn (EXCLUSIVE)

At this point, the letter does not seem likely to save his job. Gunn’s firing was approved by Disney Studios chief Alan Horn, with his boss, company CEO Bob Iger weighing in on the final decision. The involvement of the highest levels of Disney signals that the cast pressure to rethink the Gunn ouster will struggle to gain internal support. “I don’t see Disney re-hiring him,” says one person close to the matter. “Those tweets were so horrible and Disney has a different standard then other studios.”

[url]https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/disney-unlikely-to-rehire-‘guardians-of-the-galaxy’-director-james-gunn-exclusive/ar-BBLneYh?ocid=spartanntp[/url]
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:24 am

Seeing Ant Man 2 in a few hours.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Quick thoughts on Ant Man 2 - too many sidekicks, too much slapstick, one too many villains (Walton Goggins was more of a distraction), but otherwise alot of fun. I think they should do a film with just Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer tripping the rift in the microverse (or whatever its called). Ghost was a uniquely sympathetic and cruel villain. B+
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:50 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Quick thoughts on Ant Man 2 - too many sidekicks, too much slapstick, one too many villains (Walton Goggins was more of a distraction), but otherwise alot of fun. I think they should do a film with just Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer tripping the rift in the microverse (or whatever its called). Ghost was a uniquely sympathetic and cruel villain. B+

Did you see the midcredit scene?
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:22 am

RedWingFan wrote:Did you see the midcredit scene?

Yes.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:57 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Yes.

Do you think that whole quantum realm thing will factor into defeating Than is?
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:47 am

RedWingFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Yes.

Do you think that whole quantum realm thing will factor into defeating Than is?

Big time. My guess is Strange and Ant Man will meet up.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:11 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Big time. My guess is Strange and Ant Man will meet up.

Yes. I think this new development will help Marvel turn the corner and launch the MCU and they will become a force for years to come. They have Captain Marvel set for release next year as well as Spiderman: Far from home! The way Homecoming introduced the Scorpion character, he must be the main baddie in the sequel. The Scorpion could possibly be the greatest villian in comic book history! I predict this is going to be the breakout year for Marvel! What do you think?
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:26 am

This is what I think is going to happen:

Yes, the Quantum Realm is going to enable time travel via the "time vortexes", or whatever. I did not see Ghost get dusted so I bet she helps do this somehow...or at least bring Ant-man back to normality.

IMO, they will do something to change the situation with the Asgardians being planetless, probably when they retrieve the Tesseract and the reality stone...defeating Hela without bringing on Ragnarok...or a change that keeps her in Hell...ie: Loki not deposing Odin.

In Infinity War, we did not see the battle on Xandar. I think that is a big give away that Xandar is where the next Thanos battle takes place - before he gets any of the Infinity stones.

My thoughts are that there will NOT be an Avengers version of the Infinity Guantlet. Instead, I think the stones will be used by individual Avengers, Star-Lord, and maybe Loki due to time travel, to defeat Thanos on Xandar.

In this case, the entire timeline will revert back to what it was prior to Ragnorok...NOBODY is dusted or dies. Unless some Avengers or others die on Xandar...which is possible. All of the original Avengers survived the dusting...but that may not happen on Xandar....1st act, gathering the stones via time travel, which leads to the 2nd act of getting the Tesseract and preventing Ragnorok, 3rd act and conclusion on Xandar.

Also, I think Nebula will kill Thanos. If you remember, Thanos said she came aboard his ship to kill him, and she nearly succeded. Shifts and changes in the timeline will enable her to do it...maybe with help from Gamora.

That's how I would write it anyways.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 am

RedWingFan wrote:The Scorpion could possibly be the greatest villian in comic book history!

:lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:The Scorpion could possibly be the greatest villian in comic book history!

I was laughing as I wrote it. I was trying to recreate the blind eternal optimism and lack of reality in the other thread. I guess I'm just not delusional enough to pull it off. Lol.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:

I was laughing as I wrote it. I was trying to recreate the blind eternal optimism and lack of reality in the other thread. I guess I'm just not delusional enough to pull it off. Lol.

It must really kill you that TNC isn't dropping bombs in the other thread, huh? :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 am

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Nice job at holding up a mirror to the DC cultists. Funny shit.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:41 am

So you're saying a DC cultist is the mirror of a Marvel cultist? :lol:

Marvel fandom has been a (rabid) thing for decades, long before 2008, Remember "Marvel zombies"? (Later, Marvel even poked fun at it themselves with a comic titled exactly that.)

OTOH, there was no such thing as a DC zombie. Certainly not in my case. My fanboyness revolved around creators.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm

verslibre wrote:So you're saying a DC cultist is the mirror of a Marvel cultist? :lol:

Marvel fandom has been a (rabid) thing for decades, long before 2008, Remember "Marvel zombies"? (Later, Marvel even poked fun at it themselves with a comic titled exactly that.)

OTOH, there was no such thing as a DC zombie. Certainly not in my case. My fanboyness revolved around creators.

The simple fact is Marvel has established themselves in a way that maybe only Star Wars has. That isn't "Marvel zonbie" talking...where everything Marvel does is fawned over and believed, good or bad, and praised. The simple fact is Marvel had a two films gross over $3,000,000,000 combined this year. And, they had a minor throw away film in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Marvel knows how to tell their stories and keep them moving forward in a "big picture" goal for the Avenger movies. If Marvel fans were nothing but a bunch of zombies, the Ant-Man films would be bigger than they were and there would not have been such a backlash against Gunn being fired. Marvel has been rewarded by fans for making good decisions and producing good
and entertaining films.

DC fans can't even acknowledge that from Wonder Woman on DC is trying to emulate what Marvel has done. The "dark" of DC is gone. Wonder Woman was a cookie cutter origin mythos tale. The Superfriends movie was a bad parody of an Avengers movie. DC is going to release a comedy film with Shazam which seems aimed at teens and younger. Aquaman looks and feels like an underwater version of Thor to me. Batman is turning its back on Batfleck and going back to a youthful Batman. You are being incredibly presumptuous if you believe it is going to be as dark of a story as the last trilogy. The state of DC is so random that you can NOT guarantee that.

The fact that you blindly support all of the above, and critique Marvel over making similar style films means you are at the very least being hypocritical. I have believed for a long time that there is a lot of jealousy going on here...because Marvel releases successful films, and now HUGELY successful billion dollar films, quite regularly. DC can't get themselves together enough to compete with that. DC, and their fans, desperately want a piece of that pie...and their two best chances of having those billion dollar films are gone...BvS and Justice League.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:So you're saying a DC cultist is the mirror of a Marvel cultist? :lol:

The simple fact is Marvel has established themselves in a way that maybe only Star Wars has. That isn't "Marvel zonbie" talking...where everything Marvel does is fawned over and believed, good or bad, and praised. The simple fact is Marvel had a two films gross over $3,000,000,000 combined this year. And, they had a minor throw away film in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Marvel knows how to tell their stories and keep them moving forward in a "big picture" goal for the Avenger movies. If Marvel fans were nothing but a bunch of zombies, the Ant-Man films would be bigger than they were and there would not have been such a backlash against Gunn being fired. Marvel has been rewarded by fans for making good decisions and producing good
and entertaining films.

DC fans can't even acknowledge that from Wonder Woman on DC is trying to emulate what Marvel has done. The "dark" of DC is gone. Wonder Woman was a cookie cutter origin mythos tale. The Superfriends movie was a bad parody of an Avengers movie. DC is going to release a comedy film with Shazam which seems aimed at teens and younger. Aquaman looks and feels like an underwater version of Thor to me. Batman is turning its back on Batfleck and going back to a youthful Batman. You are being incredibly presumptuous if you believe it is going to be as dark of a story as the last trilogy. The state of DC is so random that you can NOT guarantee that.

The fact that you blindly support all of the above, and critique Marvel over making similar style films means you are at the very least being hypocritical. I have believed for a long time that there is a lot of jealousy going on here...because Marvel releases successful films, and now HUGELY successful billion dollar films, quite regularly. DC can't get themselves together enough to compete with that. DC, and their fans, desperately want a piece of that pie...and their two best chances of having those billion dollar films are gone...BvS and Justice League.

Monker saved me the trouble of responding. Great post. Thanks man.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 am

I was thinking that Mjolnir was destroyed in Ragnorok because Thor could have easily defeated Thanos in the opening scene of Infinity War had he had it.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:06 am

RedWingFan wrote:I was thinking

Take my advice: don't. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 am

Monker wrote:

The simple fact is Marvel has established themselves in a way that maybe only Star Wars has.

Which has nothing to do with my post, or the one I replied to.

Monker wrote: That isn't "Marvel zonbie" talking...where everything Marvel does is fawned over and believed, good or bad, and praised.

You didn't get what I was talking about, and you still don't. Plus, it's more than obvious by now that RWF is indeed a Marvel zombie, as we called them back in the '80s, when the only text you were reading was the lyric booklet to your Street Talk cassette, the one you probed for clues on how to approach a woman who might consider showing you her bra strap if you quoted the right morsel of Perry-sap. RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters. His allegiance is more than apparent. That's fine, but you're taking his bait like a guy exposing his asshole to a leatherboy on Polk St. in San Francisco circa 1979.

Monker wrote:The simple fact is Marvel had a two films gross over $3,000,000,000 combined this year.

Which has nothing to do with my post, or the one I replied to. Nice to see you're now on the "movies that make a shit-ton of $$ = good movies" train. 8)

Monker wrote:And, they had a minor throw away film in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Who gives a shit? Oh, and the reason that happened is because people are getting what I knew from the get-go: Rudd doesn't play a convincing superhero lead. No charisma whatsoever. They'd better make the next movie The Wasp or recast Lang.

Monker wrote:Marvel knows how to tell their stories and keep them moving forward in a "big picture" goal for the Avenger movies.

Self-contained movies with mid-credits scenes to thread the continuity. Save the hype for your eHarmony profile, yo!

Monker wrote:If Marvel fans were nothing but a bunch of zombies, the Ant-Man films would be bigger than they were and there would not have been such a backlash against Gunn being fired. Marvel has been rewarded by fans for making good decisions and producing good and entertaining films.

Spoken like one. Every once in a while, a movie in a mega-successful franchise isn't going to land like its brothers. Look what happened to Solo. A dud. A-M&TW still made some money. It has yet to open in China. Did you expect it to make 700 million or something? It's a lightweight standalone movie with peripheral ties to the events going on around it. In comics, we called issues that contained stories dropped in the middle of arcs for no reason "fillers." That's exactly what A-M&TW is: a space filler.

Monker wrote:DC fans can't even acknowledge that from Wonder Woman on DC is trying to emulate what Marvel has done.

:lol: You're a loon. Detractors spared no expense pre-release when it came to writing off Wonder Woman as some kind of imitator of The First Avenger, yet the former did something the latter did not: actually take the the audience on a legit, if brief, tour of the horrors of war. It didn't matter if it wasn't Saving Private Ryan: The No Man's Land sequence is touted as one of the best CBM scenes ever. Walk your ass over to the Hype and read the DC haters praising Wonder Woman and NML because even they are unable to disavow what a fine film it is.

Monker wrote:The "dark" of DC is gone.

Another baseless assumption. Watch the Titans trailer. Swamp Thing is coming. It doesn't matter if either won't be theatrical. Wan's one of the producers, and he said it's going to be horror. Joker is happening. It won't be a comedy. You think Reeves' The Batman is going to be Schumacher-esque fodder? :lol:

Monker wrote:Wonder Woman was a cookie cutter origin mythos tale.

At this point, you're going to look a lot smarter if you just stop commenting.

Monker wrote:The Superfriends movie was a bad parody of an Avengers movie.

Gee, I wonder why. Might have something to do with...what's his name again? Rhymes with...?

Monker wrote:DC is going to release a comedy film with Shazam which seems aimed at teens and younger.

A film WITH comedy. Not a comedy. Shazam! got an awesome trailer. It even stole some of Aquaman's thunder. Know why? New character. New backstory. New type of CBM. And it gave nothing away. It related his comics-accurate origin. Nothing given away about the family, or the other Marvels. Not "aimed at teens and younger" any more than any of the Iron Man films were.

Monker wrote:Aquaman looks and feels like an underwater version of Thor to me.

Because you're a nimrod. But that can't be helped.

Monker wrote:Batman is turning its back on Batfleck and going back to a youthful Batman. You are being incredibly presumptuous if you believe it is going to be as dark of a story as the last trilogy. The state of DC is so random that you can NOT guarantee that.

I. Nowhere was it implied that every director DC hires commits to following a template set by a previous director. Because there is no template. Patty Jenkins is not Zack Snyder is not David S. Sandberg is not David Ayer is not Matt Reeves is not James Wan.

II. You don't know jack or shit where Matt Reeves' The Batman is concerned, except for what he's related, which isn't much, except that it will be a noir-styled detective vehicle. Wow, a younger Batman? Like that's some kind of revelation. In the last decade, we've seen a Batman in his early, mid and late thirties, followed by a fortysomething Batman inspired on Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. So a new director comes onboard and wants to do his own take. Wow. What a concept. What do you think is going to happen when Marvel reboots the X-peeps and the Fantastic Four-way? :lol:

Monker wrote:The fact that you blindly support all of the above, and critique Marvel over making similar style films means you are at the very least being hypocritical.

More horseshit. And ffs, get a dictionary. It wouldn't make me hypocritical so much as biased. And that still isn't accurate, because I'm actually a fan of both publishers and I watch all these movies based on stories written and drawn years if not decades ago. Fools like you and RWF are the ones who like to piss in the punch, which is why you always leave the party accompanied by your right hand, citing "Better than nothing!" I have every right to critique the creeping tepidness of Marvel's slate. There's no reason it should be that way. And when they do change something, or give the reins to a director who doesn't give a fuck, like Taika Waititi, then things just get more silly. What does it say when Thor's arc in Infinity War outranks his entire third solo film? Is it supposed to be that way? Oh, it is? Then that's fine, I guess. :lol:

Wait for Captain Marvel. You said you're into cookie sheets, right? :lol:

Monker wrote:I have believed for a long time that there is a lot of jealousy going on here...because Marvel releases successful films, and now HUGELY successful billion dollar films, quite regularly. DC can't get themselves together enough to compete with that. DC, and their fans, desperately want a piece of that pie...and their two best chances of having those billion dollar films are gone...BvS and Justice League.

Blah, blah, blah. You got nothing. My reply's more than you deserve. You make a career out of regurgitating the same long turd that terminates in a small "j" that pokes up above the waterline like an islet. "DC fans are jealous." "Marvel makes good movies that make lots of money." "Wonder Woman 1984 won't be as successful." Same smegma smoothie, different lunar cycle. You still sound like a shill. Take a vacay like TNC did and come back when you have something new to plate, ffs.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Monker saved me the trouble of responding. Great post. Thanks man.

Not an ounce of sincerity in that remark, not after the way you repeatedly charged his taint with your hammerhead in the other thread.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:40 am

verslibre wrote: RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters.

There were 3 good reasons for that.
The dead in the water MOS, the dead in the water BvS, and the dead in the water SS.
These DC wannabe franchises have the life expectancy of a fishfly. Why would I throw good money after bad? Be like you? Pay to see a shitty movie and then bloviate about how good it is? Lol
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 am

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote: RWF even gloated about watching Wonder Woman without paying for it while it was still in theaters.

There were 3 good reasons for that.
The dead in the water MOS, the dead in the water BvS, and the dead in the water SS.
These DC wannabe franchises have the life expectancy of a fishfly. Why would I throw good money after bad? Be like you? Pay to see a shitty movie and then bloviate about how good it is? Lol

Fishbowl fart-breathers like you are the ones who bitch about "the lack of good word of mouth" where DC films are concerned, right? Well, Wonder Woman had nothing but. So that was on you. Own it! :lol:

You may want to check your definition of "dead in the water," because those movies you quoted were anything but box office busts. Squad, especially — despised by critics, a hit with audiences. :D
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara