DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Monker wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Come to think of it, did the premise of TFTC die down for a little? I can't remember if it was that show or another I may be mixing it up with but I remember reading they may have had trouble resurrecting the series.

Yes, it did. Back in those days there was TFTC and The Hitchhiker, and there may been others that I don't remember... And, before those was "Tales from the Darkside", in syndication, I think...I remember watching it late night but never on a network prime-time. The success of these shows, and the syndication of things like Twilight Zone and Outer LImits, set off a few network shows that were similar. Henson had "The Story Teller", and Spielberg had "Amazing Stories". Neither were very successful. There were also several attempts to revive Twilight Zone...neither were very popular. The consensus became that these type of shows can't make it on networks and were better suited for pay channels and syndication. Then came X-Files, and everybody was happy.

There is definitely room for a Twilight Zone anthology show nowadays. SyFy should look at it, if they were smart (and they're not). There is also a definite market for a "real" X-Files reboot.

The most recent US anthology series that I can think of was Masters of Horror, which aired on Showtime. MOH later became Fear Itself on NBC. Netflix has a few anthology shows like Darknet. There is some British anthology called Black Mirror, that people keep talking about. The CW recently passed on a Tales from the Darkside reboot written by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:The most recent US anthology series that I can think of was Masters of Horror, which aired on Showtime. MOH later became Fear Itself on NBC. Netflix has a few anthology shows like Darknet. There is some British anthology called Black Mirror, that people keep talking about. The CW recently passed on a Tales from the Darkside reboot written by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.

TFTD was so freakin' cool. They pulled off cool horror stories without the advantage of R-rated elements. It worked. I'd definitely watch a revisit. I thought Joe was still working on it. Was that supposed to be in the slot where Containment is? That looks like another run-of-the-mill contagion drama. Zzzzz...

Masters of Horrors ran the gamut of okay to almost great, but none of them sucked outright. Argento adapted "Jenifer," an old Jones/Wrightson tale from Creepy, and Coscarelli's "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" was pretty good. Carpenter did a couple, including "Pro-life" and "Cigarette Burns" (with Norman Reedus).

I love horror anthologies. Heck, I even liked Body Bags and Grim Prairie Tales. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 am

Monker wrote:I'm not the one playing games - you are. I am not defining a field, or goal posts, you are. I am simply pointing out your hypocrisy,

I have said, repeatedly, that BvS failed due to bad story telling, not because it was "dark"...and TDK proves that a dark movie can be successful. Thank you for proving my point for me, again.

BvS is at 70%, or C- because it sucks...not because it went over people's heads, or because it was 'dark', or whatever your next excuse will be...it is simply a bad movie. .

No, the film does not suffer from bad storytelling. I ask once again: did you ever bother seeing it?

The negative reviews all cite the same excuses for not liking the film: "joyless and grimdark," "Snyder doesn't 'get' Superman," "Batman kills," etc. People knew what they were getting three years ago. They were getting MoS' Superman meets Miller's TDKR-Batman. (Not The Dark Knight Rises, I mean The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller.) I recall people were excited. Now the movie's out and they all bitch. They continue to pine for '78 Superman and they continue to whine about Batman, who shouldn't kill, but they have no problem with all the people who get offed in the MCU by Stark, Rogers and whoever. It's all bullshit. It's a DC-Marvel double standard and nobody has the balls to admit it.

Since you're not going to see it, anyway, because you're a bandwagon jumper, read this article. http://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-best-story-movie/

Deborah Snyder has also said the studio had them remove a significant Clark Kent-centric scene that she wishes would've remained in the theatrical cut. I can only imagine the critics would've lapped that up like kittens on milk. Or maybe not, since Cavill's Kent isn't the bumbling doof from 40 years ago. Superman Returns is a craptastic regurgitation and financial failure that should have never been made, but since Singer chose to tread overly familiar ground and take no chances whatsoever, he got a clean pass. In turn, BvS brings the kind of excitement and attention to detail in a CBM I want to see, not to mention DC knows how to do villains. The MCU's villains have all sucked minus Loki and Kurse, who was basically an Asgardian Hulk (Winter Soldier's not a villain). I'll give Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane a pass, too, because it's Jeff.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:23 am

At least you didn't have to rinse your eyes with a screening of Superman Returns

Me watching Superman Returns:

verslibre wrote:[ Superman Returns is a craptastic regurgitation and financial failure that should have never been made, but since Singer chose to tread overly familiar ground and take no chances whatsoever, he got a clean pass.

Truth. Behold:

Honest Trailers - Superman Returns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l16eu4a6LaE

:lol:
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 am

verslibre wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:The most recent US anthology series that I can think of was Masters of Horror, which aired on Showtime. MOH later became Fear Itself on NBC. Netflix has a few anthology shows like Darknet. There is some British anthology called Black Mirror, that people keep talking about. The CW recently passed on a Tales from the Darkside reboot written by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.

TFTD was so freakin' cool. They pulled off cool horror stories without the advantage of R-rated elements. It worked. I'd definitely watch a revisit. I thought Joe was still working on it. Was that supposed to be in the slot where Containment is? That looks like another run-of-the-mill contagion drama. Zzzzz...

Masters of Horrors ran the gamut of okay to almost great, but none of them sucked outright. Argento adapted "Jenifer," an old Jones/Wrightson tale from Creepy, and Coscarelli's "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" was pretty good. Carpenter did a couple, including "Pro-life" and "Cigarette Burns" (with Norman Reedus).

I love horror anthologies. Heck, I even liked Body Bags and Grim Prairie Tales. :lol:

Last I heard Joe Hill says his TFTD script is being made into a comic.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:03 pm

verslibre wrote:I've looked through an issue of two of The Creeps and it didn't grab me. And I love that kind of stuff.

The Creeps is the closest to the old school 70s Warren thing on the market right now. Plus, starting with next issue, Corben is contributing a piece. Sweet!
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Sun May 01, 2016 2:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Corben!

That's the magic word.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sun May 01, 2016 10:33 am

verslibre wrote:

That's the magic word.

I thought that word was "Shazam". They should have Isis show up in the Shazam movie. Then they could set up a Wonder Woman vs Isis movie.
Monker
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Flash director leaves project. Fine by me. This guy was a total hack. His script for Dark Shadows was camp trash.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/29/ ... ovieverses
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 pm

Damn, I really wish there was a heads up that the article was a Feraci piece. That dude isn't worth the time. Even ElMaybe is higher respected than that Uber douche.

Smith is a relief (he was never officially announced by WB.) Smith was the weakest link that had me worried. He's a mediocre screenwriter at best and had zero experience in the directors chair. Just like Wonder Woman with nabbing Jenkins. Whoever takes over, Flash will be better off.

I'm worried about the rumors with Wann. I hope he can work Aquaman out.

George Miller looks to be in the running for Green Lantern Corps. That's a great fit if he signs. I said awhile ago it'll either be Miller on Superman or GLC.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Mon May 02, 2016 2:45 am

Till they actually say Wan's bailed out, I'd chalk it up to click-bait whoring. Yeah, Faraci's a joke. He stretches a line into four paragraphs, posts it as an article and expects people to take him seriously.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon May 02, 2016 2:45 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:

That's the magic word.

I thought that word was "Shazam". They should have Isis show up in the Shazam movie. Then they could set up a Wonder Woman vs Isis movie.

Only if it's rated NC-17 and the final battle takes place in a Lake Mead where the water's been replaced with Jell-O.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 02, 2016 3:33 am

verslibre wrote:Yeah, Faraci's a joke. He stretches a line into four paragraphs, posts it as an article and expects people to take him seriously.

Sounds like most internet "movie news" sites nowadays.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 02, 2016 3:36 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:George Miller looks to be in the running for Green Lantern Corps. That's a great fit if he signs. I said awhile ago it'll either be Miller on Superman or GLC.

Aint It Cool News is saying the GL/Miller rumors have been debunked. But you never know...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75074
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Mon May 02, 2016 5:38 am

Here's a sampling of what this DF guy's like. "Credible, reliable" sources? I think not.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon May 02, 2016 7:02 am

Why is that guy even breathing? This isn't the first time the dude has been a no good, rotten POS. Can't stand these types of dick heads have a following.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm

verslibre wrote:Here's a sampling of what this DF guy's like. "Credible, reliable" sources? I think not.

Like him or not, Devin has been around for a long time. I think he's pretty credible. I used to read him at CHUD and now I read him at BMD.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Just resurfaced from been buried in a foxhole for the last two weeks, wrapping up all things #conjuring2. You guys are killing me.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 1:20 am

"You guys are killing me."

HAHA! :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 2:14 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:Here's a sampling of what this DF guy's like. "Credible, reliable" sources? I think not.

Like him or not, Devin has been around for a long time. I think he's pretty credible. I used to read him at CHUD and now I read him at BMD.

DF also reported:

Suicide Squad reshoots are meant to add humor (the film already has humor, and the last Captain America flick, and The Force Awakens had reshoots closer to release, etc.).

Wonder Woman is a Kryptonian (the pinnacle of absurdity).

Fant4stic actually being "good."

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the new Batman.

Snyder fired from Justice League.

None of the above are true. That or David Ayer has the best poker face ever.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 2:19 am

Looks like Affleck's The Batman is going to feature a large chunk of his rogues' gallery. Damn. That's some news!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue May 03, 2016 2:27 am

Holy shit I completely forgot about Wonder Woman being a descendant of Planet Krypton. People lost their absolute minds over that. Too funny. Remember the report that WB asked Bale to return as Batman for like, $80 million? Lmao, these film dirt sheets are worse than professional wrestling "scoopers." With the age of the Internet, I guess it's all apart of it. Some good, some vastly horrific for the industry.

I think it was DF (I'm losing count) who was turned down to a screening by WB for BvS and he lost his marbles. When the bad reviews came out, DF was the first one jumping for joy, literally. That's what this has become. It's absurd.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 2:41 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:I think it was DF (I'm losing count) who was turned down to a screening by WB for BvS and he lost his marbles. When the bad reviews came out, DF was the first one jumping for joy, literally. That's what this has become. It's absurd.

Wow, was McWeeny turned down, too? Since he was a nobody who was suddenly a somebody because he was interviewed on a low-viewership webcast with nothing good to say about BvS? :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 03, 2016 5:10 am

verslibre wrote:
DF also reported:

Suicide Squad reshoots are meant to add humor (the film already has humor, and the last Captain America flick, and The Force Awakens had reshoots closer to release, etc.).

Wonder Woman is a Kryptonian (the pinnacle of absurdity).

Fant4stic actually being "good."

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the new Batman.

Snyder fired from Justice League.

None of the above are true. That or David Ayer has the best poker face ever.

I read BMD (aka Badass Digest) and never heard Dev say most of these. Especially the one about Snyder being fired. Yes, WB/DC was considering having Gordon-Levitt pick up the Bat mantle. Other movie sites reported that too. I think it speaks to how direction less they were and to an extent, still are. The Suicide reshoots are a FACT. Ayer may deny that they were to add humor, but what's he supposed to say? DC fanboys really can't take any film criticism without trying to undermine the critic's reputation.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 03, 2016 5:14 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:I think it was DF (I'm losing count) who was turned down to a screening by WB for BvS and he lost his marbles. When the bad reviews came out, DF was the first one jumping for joy, literally. That's what this has become. It's absurd.

Wow, was McWeeny turned down, too? Since he was a nobody who was suddenly a somebody because he was interviewed on a low-viewership webcast with nothing good to say about BvS? :lol:

McWeeny was a great writer when he wrote as Moriarty on AintitCoolNews. He is still a great critic. I followed his reviews from AICN to HitFix. To say he had no following is a total lie. Again, all you guys do is attack critics who dared to say that BvS sucked dick.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 03, 2016 5:18 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
I think it was DF (I'm losing count) who was turned down to a screening by WB for BvS and he lost his marbles. When the bad reviews came out, DF was the first one jumping for joy, literally. That's what this has become. It's absurd.

Hmm, or maybe they genuinely disliked the movie. Ever think of that? Dev and Drew have stated iconoclastic unpopular opinions over the years. They usually say what they mean. And in the case of BvS, their reviews nailed it.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue May 03, 2016 9:13 am

I never had a problem with what McWeeny said. But Feraci goes way beyond comic book movies and way beyond Batman V Superman (he disliked BvS WAAY before it came out) when it comes to putting himself out there as a scumbag of epic proportions. He even admitted as such by how big of a troll he is. Like I said, Heroic Hollywood is way more respected as a scooper than Devin and that's saying something. Regardless of a movie critic or a scooper, I don't care for his antics as a human being.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I read BMD (aka Badass Digest) and never heard Dev say most of these. Especially the one about Snyder being fired. Yes, WB/DC was considering having Gordon-Levitt pick up the Bat mantle.

A rumor without validity. A rumor that was valid was JGL and the Sandman film.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Other movie sites reported that too. I think it speaks to how direction less they were and to an extent, still are. The Suicide reshoots are a FACT. Ayer may deny that they were to add humor, but what's he supposed to say? DC fanboys really can't take any film criticism without trying to undermine the critic's reputation.

The SS reshoots added some action-expo, not Spidey-styled quips. Those aren't integral to the story it tells. It already has one-liners. No Hawkeye-Widow banter in the midst of battle is required.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue May 03, 2016 10:00 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:

Hmm, or maybe they genuinely disliked the movie. Ever think of that? Dev and Drew have stated iconoclastic unpopular opinions over the years. They usually say what they mean. And in the case of BvS, their reviews nailed it.

When critics dislike a movie without having seen it (even if they watch the movie and [re]write/revise their "review" in post), that pretty much erases any shred of credibility they'd otherwise have. When EW's CBM writer Brez (who also likes Civil War) commented very favorably on BvS, it was because he'd seen the film. A month before the embargo lifted. He had plenty of time to change his mind and didn't.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 03, 2016 10:27 am

verslibre wrote:A rumor without validity. A rumor that was valid was JGL and the Sandman film.

Multiple sites reported on JGL playing Batman. It was also reported that Josh Brolin was asked to play Batman before Affleck. Both sound fairly credible. The John Blake story felt shoe-horned into TDKR, as if WB was forcing Nolan to spin-off the franchise. And the JGL Sandman project was confirmed by JGL himself and he offered updates on it. So it was hardly ever a rumor. JGL probably leaked the story to the press initially. You are just picking and choosing what stories to believe based upon your own preexisting close-minded DC bias.

verslibre wrote:The SS reshoots added some action-expo, not Spidey-styled quips. Those aren't integral to the story it tells. It already has one-liners.

Were you on-set? Are you the script supervisor? You have ZERO proof backing this up. You just can't handle the possibility that a DC/WB film would require (GASP!) tinkering. But based on their awful track record, I would be more surprised if Suicide Squad did not have re-shoots.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara