DC Extended Universe THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DC Extended Universe THREAD

Postby verslibre » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:36 am

A movie isn't stillborn or DOA if people are still discussing/debating the events of that movie five years later, lol.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:54 am

Great to see other directors vocalize their support for Zack.

https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/976338099536998403
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 am

verslibre wrote:A movie isn't stillborn or DOA if people are still discussing/debating the events of that movie five years later, lol.

Journey fans are still debating Generations also. Debate is not a measure of success.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Something that is dead on arrival doesn't bring back the same lead role and cast to kick-start a shared universe.

Cavill was marginalized in his own franchise in BvsS. After MOS underperformed, DC had to save face and forge ahead. They could not suffer another Green Lantern style failure by NOT continuing.

WB always, always, always wanted to greenlight a Superman vs Batman movie. They took their shot after MoS started something they could of built on. 

This is true but so what? The previously floated BvS treatments out there are superior to what Snyder gave us The baggage of MOS actually hurt BvS. I would argue that George Miller's proposed Justice League was also better than what we finally got.

If you live in the geek community, it won't be long for you find a fanbase voicing their opinion on wanting Man of Steel 2. Rumors have it a Superman film starring Henry Cavill is the worst kept secret behind WB's closed doors.

You've been saying this for years now. Unless they get a major director behind it, it's never going to happen. A wildly successful first Supes feature would have already had a green lighted sequel.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:A movie isn't stillborn or DOA if people are still discussing/debating the events of that movie five years later, lol.

Journey fans are still debating Generations also. Debate is not a measure of success.

You mean a segment of Journey fans. Average Joe Journeyfan doesn't care about Journey past 1986.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:You've been saying this for years now. Unless they get a major director behind it, it's never going to happen. A wildly successful first Supes feature would have already had a green lighted sequel.

Another Superman solo film is going to happen.

We got Pacific Rim: Uprising. The first one did NOT do well domestically.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am

verslibre wrote:We got Pacific Rim: Uprising. The first one did NOT do well domestically.

Pacific 1 did very well in China. Man of Steel didn't really resonate anywhere. It's also worth noting that Pacific 2 didn't desperately bring in characters from other franchises like BvsS did.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 am

verslibre wrote:You mean a segment of Journey fans. Average Joe Journeyfan doesn't care about Journey past 1986.

And average joe moviegoers haven't given a shit about Superman since Christopher Reeve. If mainstream moviegoers cared for Cavill's Superman, Justice League would have been a hit. Nobody cares.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 am

verslibre wrote:

So is a new Steve Perry solo record!
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:03 pm

RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Wanna put some money on it? :)
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:12 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:We got Pacific Rim: Uprising. The first one did NOT do well domestically.

Pacific 1 did very well in China. Man of Steel didn't really resonate anywhere. It's also worth noting that Pacific 2 didn't desperately bring in characters from other franchises like BvsS did.

What I just said. The age has passed when studios look to home ground for their bottom line. You said no PR sequel would happen, remember? I said it would happen because it did well overseas. PRU just did the best sales yesterday, though not quite as much as the first movie's opening Friday. But PRU cost $40 million less to make.

You already know this, but MoS kicked Superman Returns' ass at the box office. MoS earned double overseas what Returns did. Returns is the movie that didn't resonate. People are out there still debating MoS back and forth. Troll activity was overwhelming IMDb's MoS/BvS boards to the point that's one of the reasons they shut down the forums over there. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:18 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:You mean a segment of Journey fans. Average Joe Journeyfan doesn't care about Journey past 1986.

And average joe moviegoers haven't given a shit about Superman since Christopher Reeve. If mainstream moviegoers cared for Cavill's Superman, Justice League would have been a hit. Nobody cares.

That's like saying average moviegoers haven't given a shit about James Bond since Roger Moore. Or average moviegoers haven't given a shit about the Hulk since Lou Ferrigno. We know that's not the case.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:39 pm

verslibre wrote:That's like saying average moviegoers haven't given a shit about James Bond since Roger Moore.

Justice League was the lowest grossing DC movie yet. Meanwhile, the Craig 007 films - evenn adjusted for inflation - are some of the highest grossing Bond films.

Or average moviegoers haven't given a shit about the Hulk since Lou Ferrigno. We know that's not the case.

That was a TV show not movie series. Hard to compare. However, both the Eric Bana and Norton Hulk films dissapointed financially.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 pm

verslibre wrote:What I just said. The age has passed when studios look to home ground for their bottom line.

So what's stopping you from posting foreign box office figures for Man of Steel?

You said no PR sequel would happen, remember? I said it would happen because it did well overseas.

If I said that, quote me.

You already know this, but MoS kicked Superman Returns' ass at the box office. MoS earned double overseas what Returns did. Returns is the movie that didn't resonate. People are out there still debating MoS back and forth. Troll activity was overwhelming IMDb's MoS/BvS boards to the point that's one of the reasons they shut down the forums over there. :lol:

If MOS resonated, Justice League would have remained a two-parter. Instead, Snyder got sacked and the studio tried to limit their losses.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:01 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:That's like saying average moviegoers haven't given a shit about James Bond since Roger Moore.

Justice League was the lowest grossing DC movie yet. Meanwhile, the Craig 007 films - evenn adjusted for inflation - are some of the highest grossing Bond films.

Yet some people think Connery is Bond and everyone else is an impostor who doesn't deserve the time of day.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Or average moviegoers haven't given a shit about the Hulk since Lou Ferrigno. We know that's not the case.

That was a TV show not movie series. Hard to compare. However, both the Eric Bana and Norton Hulk films dissapointed financially.

Pop culture icon, nonetheless. Reeve, Ferrigno, Carter.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:What I just said. The age has passed when studios look to home ground for their bottom line.

So what's stopping you from posting foreign box office figures for Man of Steel?

No need to. I've posted them before, you know what they are, and http://www.BoxOfficeMojo is a click away.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
You said no PR sequel would happen, remember? I said it would happen because it did well overseas.

If I said that, quote me.

I stand corrected. You didn't say it wouldn't happen. You DID say it would NOT get a theatrical release in the US! :lol:

From June 6-7/2016:

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:John Boyega to headline the cast of human actors in Pacific Rim 2.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/john-boyega-pacific-rim-2-1201789413/

Without Del Toro, will this even get a theatrical release in the US? My guess is no.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
verslibre wrote:It's from Legendary/Universal. Now that your Star Wars buddy's been added to it, you can bet it will be in theaters.

I'll take that bet. Just as I did for Man of Steel 2 not happening. Star Wars is a name brand. Boyega is not. Films with stars like Julia Roberts, George Clooney and Tom Cruise can no longer be counted on to have a big opening. The entire Hollywood star system has collapsed. The first Rim under-performed in the USA. Can't see a non-Del Toro sequel having a major theatrical release.

^You said it. I said it. The first movie didn't do well here. But the sequel was made based on the strength of its overseas reception.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:If MOS resonated, Justice League would have remained a two-parter. Instead, Snyder got sacked and the studio tried to limit their losses.

The execs pussed out. They wanted their bonuses. They wanted the movie turned into an Avenger/Guardianss-esque sockfest. They wanted the seriousness toned down, humor and cheesey dialogue added, and they even OK'd Joss redoing shots that didn't mess with the narrative. The shifts in cinematographic styles are jarring at times. Joss doesn't know how to use lighting to proper effect. He lights shit up like a sitcom, with a floodlight. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Wanna put some money on it? :)

No thanks. You and YJ still need to pay TNC for this exact same bet made years ago. How many years has it been since MOS? Sequels that audiences clammer for typically come out 3 years after the 1st. Be honorable and pay the man already.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

verslibre wrote:
I stand corrected. You didn't say it wouldn't happen. You DID say it would NOT get a theatrical release in the US! :lol:

Thank you.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 am

Henry on the set of Shazam! Fuck yesss.

And technically, MoS2 was BvS. BvS came out in 2016..3 years after MoS. :lol: They went ahead and laid the groundwork for the shared universe after they thought they had the groundwork after MoS.

TNC said there wouldn't be another Superman movie starring Cavill. MoS2 is the placeholder title. Henry will get another Superman film. It's going to be called something else other than MoS2. Probably "Superman" or "Superman: Subtitle." The DCEU isn't dead. Sorry fellas. It's just getting a rebrand with tone.

Common sense.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:TNC said there wouldn't be another Superman movie starring Cavill.

Ben might be walkin'...but Henry's ready to re-up. :D
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:49 am

No thanks. You and YJ still need to pay TNC for this exact same bet made years ago. How many years has it been since MOS? Sequels that audiences clammer for typically come out 3 years after the 1st. Be honorable and pay the man already.

I have no problem paying TNC at all. That's the fun in it. That said, the bet is still on. Until Henry is re-cast as Superman in a full-on reboot of the character/universe, the bet is still in play. Rumors are Henry's Superman solo is being worked on behind the scenes and will be saved for a near future announcement.

We'll see. The waiting game is usually the norm when we're waiting on slate with Aquaman and Shazam (Henry is in that film) on the horizon.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am

"Be honorable," he says. It's a two-way street. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
And technically, MoS2 was BvS. BvS came out in 2016..3 years after MoS.

https://screenrant.com/batman-v-superma ... el-sequel/
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:06 pm

If you're going to post an article, atleast read what the man said (or the rest of the article that explains what Henry meant). Henry said BvS "isn't a Superman sequel.." meaning BvS doesn't focus squarly on Superman, but it's an introduction to characters like the Batman that was kicked off in the universe of Man of Steel..

..making BvS a Man of Steel sequel. He meant "solo" so he basically mispoke out of film semantics.

BvS is not a solo Superman movie, but it's a sequel to Man of Steel. When we refer to the next Superman movie, we say Man of Steel 2 because it's a placeholder name, but it won't be called that because the Man of Steel story and its aftermath took place in BvS. Simple stuff to understand.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:36 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:And average joe moviegoers haven't given a shit about Superman since Christopher Reeve.

Man of Steel's opening weekend numbers proves this statement wrong. MoS opened big to a $125 mil dollar opening weekend; besting records with the highest opening weekend in June at the time. People were physicked for a new Superman film.

If mainstream moviegoers cared for Cavill's Superman, Justice League would have been a hit. Nobody cares.

Hah. Those mainstream movie goers you talk about didn't even receive Superman in the trailers because WB put a marketing campaign out that COMPLETELY removed Supes from the campaign because he was "dead." A WB insider actually admitted fault not to include Superman in the marketing because it hurt the film. JL was led by the sensational Gadot and Affleck as leads in how they sold JL. Didn't matter. How the hell was this the character of Supes' fault when the audience didn't even see him in the marketing?
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Cavill was marginalized in his own franchise in BvsS. After MOS underperformed, DC had to save face and forge ahead. They could not suffer another Green Lantern style failure by NOT continuing.

You don't save face by putting a failed franchise and turning it into the first meeting between Batman and Superman ever. That never happens if they thought MoS was a failure. They wanted their shared DC universe, man lol.

WB always, always, always wanted to greenlight a Superman vs Batman movie. They took their shot after MoS started something they could of built on. 

This is true but so what?

No so what. A movie a studio wanted to make for decades doesn't get a green light unless they feel positive about something that came before. They were confident enough in MoS's foundation to make a movie that was in developmental hell forever.

The previously floated BvS treatments out there are superior to what Snyder gave us

Like what?

The baggage of MOS actually hurt BvS.

BvS opened to $166 mil opening weekend. That's a huge opening. Again..people flocked to the theater OW.

I would argue that George Miller's proposed Justice League was also better than what we finally got.

Well, that's impossible since the film uh..never got made. Did you read the script? It's bonkers and there's stuff in there that would of made fans shit bricks.

You've been saying this for years now. Unless they get a major director behind it, it's never going to happen. A wildly successful first Supes feature would have already had a green lighted sequel.

Cavill's Superman has appeared 3 times in 3 big blockbuster films. WB wanted their shared universe. We didn't even get The Batman yet. We already got one Superman movie. One Wonder Woman movie. The Batman hasn't even started production yet. BvS and JL's fallout changed things. Rumor has it, DC/WB wants to go back to solo films and have loose ends connections to the shared universe, which bodes well for the next round of films that could include Superman, Nightwing, The Batman, etc.

We just have to wait and let JL's stank clear and get Aquaman and Shazam!'s first looks out there.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:53 pm

I have to admit, I was psyched to see MOS. Then I saw it.

WB counted on people caring that Superman "died" at the end of BvS. Very few of those who managed to stay for the end didn't care. I'm sure they were bright enough to interpret the floating dirt to know he would be in JL. Nobody cares. Kinda how nobody really cared about quicksilver dying. People didn't have enough time to get emotionally invested in the character. WB tried that cheap ploy to give some artificial gravity to a shitty movie. It failed.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Killing Superman backfired, but it is what it is. I'm one to appreciate the vision Snyder potentially had for what would of been a two part JL. Something that was meant to be built through time and built on a universe so unbelievably different than Marvel's. Marvel was allowed to build their franchise with numbers at the BO that worked for them. There was no pressure right out of the gate to do a billion. Different expectations. When it comes to Superman and Batman, people simply have a greater expectation and Robinov even put pressure on a rebooted Superman to do a billion. That's unrealistic when starting a new franchise and especially a shared universe when rebooting a billion dollar trilogy just 3 years after an emotional ending. No matter what, like Cavill said, it would have been tough.

Nonetheless, they tried and WB ultimately got cold feet in BvS and it showed. People blame Snyder but WB forced many mandates after Man of Steel. I'm ready to move on though and see how they come out of the gates with Aquaman and Shazam! Wonder Woman saved a lot of things. As I always said though, they needed to hit on Wonder Woman regardless. She was important. They have that in their back pocket. The success's of WW was crucial in BvS/JL's shortcomings.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

RedWingFan wrote:I have to admit, I was psyched to see MOS. Then I saw it.

WB counted on people caring that Superman "died" at the end of BvS. Very few of those who managed to stay for the end didn't care. I'm sure they were bright enough to interpret the floating dirt to know he would be in JL. Nobody cares. Kinda how nobody really cared about quicksilver dying. People didn't have enough time to get emotionally invested in the character. WB tried that cheap ploy to give some artificial gravity to a shitty movie. It failed.

Bingo. You nailed it.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara