Postby verslibre » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Score!!
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:31 am

El Maybe:

"Finally saw #BirdsOfPrey last night and had an absolute blast with it! The movie is BUCK WILD and is what I call a punk rock feminist superheroine movie. Margot Robbie rocks the role she was born to play".
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Almost 100 reviews from critics on RT. BoP sitting at 90%. Surprised of the reaction. People are raving who have seen it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 am

87% Certified Fresh.

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:08 am

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:48 am

BoP earned a 4mil Thursday night. Not good at all. Now they got to hope WOM stabilizes. So far so good on that front. I wasn't sold on BoP until the last trailer. Not sure GA will show up until it's too late. WB can't be knee jerk though. Just keep going and trust it going forward. The Suicide Squad will bump things significantly when that time comes, but more pressure is on it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:20 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:BoP earned a 4mil Thursday night. Not good at all. Now they got to hope WOM stabilizes. So far so good on that front. I wasn't sold on BoP until the last trailer. Not sure GA will show up until it's too late. WB can't be knee jerk though. Just keep going and trust it going forward. The Suicide Squad will bump things significantly when that time comes, but more pressure is on it.

Nobody is showing up for Birds of Prey. All I read is how much of a disaster it is. No tickets being sold. It is has no particular audience it is directed at. It is rated R. It is a feminist movie. It received hardly any real marketing. The story itself is a convoluted mess. All things going against it which will make it the worst grossing movie in the DCEU. I doubt it will affect Gunn's Suicide Squad...but I doubt you will see any Harley Quinn spin-off movies in the near future, unless they are on HBO Max.

Actually, DC should do an animated HQ movie with Kelly Cuoco. THAT may be a big seller...but no more live action after this.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 am

I disagree that Birds of Prey received hardly any real marketing. The trailers have been all over the place. This isn't like Star Trek Beyond, which nobody knew was happening till three weeks before arrival.

I think the "R" rating hurt this movie. Black Mask is barely hinted at in the trailers, and they didn't generate a mystique around him.

For a movie with an $84 budget, this does not bode well...
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 am

Something went wrong. It didn't reach anybody. I disagree with Monker. People are loving it. Honestly, I haven't read one thing bad about it. All points towards a film that should be successful with the reviews to back it up. This points towards a marketing issue. Harley Quinn will still be a big feature, but spin-offs involving any BoP characters may be off the table. Not every film will reach the mainstream. Gunns SSQUAD will have to pick up these pieces.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 am

Just got from seeing the movie...should have stayed at home and slept!!

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, READ NO MORE!!! SPOILERS AHEAD.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

I was not going tho see they movie, and did not think it would be that good. But the good reviews that it was getting, I thought I may give it a shot. My son and I went, he is a Marvel fan and bigger DC.

Afterwards we talked about it on the way home and our thoughts where the same.

1) This was a Harley movie all the way, told through Harley's eyes. So it is a mess, just like her. Sometimes right when the Action is starting she stops it and goes back and explains things. Really slows the story down.

2) on the plus side, the action scenes are good, with slo-mo did not over staying it's welcome. Sometimes the action was the high point, heck most of the time.

3) The two Bat bad guys were a complete waste. Black Mask was a wimp and so out of character from tv or comics. I had him, awful!! And Z was a nobody. Both dead nobodies, which I was glad to see...hope they never show back up unless done the way they should have been, there was not a drop of evil came from them.

4) Black Canary was sort of original Post Crisis and was the only one I liked in the cast, but she was wasted too. All the other supporting cast were there, with any tie to comics or tv haphazardly throw together.

This was a Harley movie, for better or worse, and she did not hold enough interest for me.

This movie...C-
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Monker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Something went wrong. It didn't reach anybody.

It has no real target audience. DCEU fans? A sequel to SS, a widely critiqued POS film? Fans of Harley Quinn from the cartoon? A rated R film that you expect kids to go to? Comic book fans, when it doesn't follow the comics at all? It seems like it was just thrown together to capitalize on Harley Quinn from SS and Deadpoolized to get attention. It's a mess.

I disagree with Monker. People are loving it. Honestly, I haven't read one thing bad about it.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Even Grace's review widely critiques it and barely gives it a pass.

All points towards a film that should be successful with the reviews to back it up.

RT, which was quoted above, is no longer reliable, obviously. How many times does the critics score and the audience score completely disagree? Even now, the critic score has dropped to 80%...it has been falling the entire week. They STILL have not opened audience reviews.

This points towards a marketing issue. Harley Quinn will still be a big feature, but spin-offs involving any BoP characters may be off the table.

IMO, WB had no confidence in this thing and cut their losses. If it breaks even, they'll be lucky.

No, as Abitaman pointed out, this is an HQ movie...the others are not the focus. HQ will not get more solo movies after this...although I still like the idea of an animated movie. This was Margo Robbie's pet project - and it failed.

Not every film will reach the mainstream. Gunns SSQUAD will have to pick up these pieces.

No, it will have to start with WW84...THAT is the movie that will get the pressure.

Also, IMO, Gunn is a big risk. He has nothing to lose at this point. He's already back in Marvel with Guardians 3 so it's doubtful he'll be back in DC after this. So, all he really has to gain is a paycheck. How did it go the last time DC "stole" a Marvel director...JJ? I doubt it will be that type of fiasco, but I would not rely on him to set DC on "fire".
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:48 pm

verslibre wrote:I disagree that Birds of Prey received hardly any real marketing. The trailers have been all over the place. This isn't like Star Trek Beyond, which nobody knew was happening till three weeks before arrival.

What do you consider "all over the place". The trailers did not trend well. Like I said baby Yoda trended better than the last BoP trailer. Nobody cares about this movie and the studio did NOTHING to change that.

I think the "R" rating hurt this movie.

Absolutely. They tried to mimic Deadpool, and that was a mistake.

Black Mask is barely hinted at in the trailers, and they didn't generate a mystique around him.

They did not generate mystique about anything.

For a movie with an $84 budget, this does not bode well...

An $84 budget, lol. I bet WB wishes that is what it cost!

But, you are correct. If you add on any additional costs, this may have issues breaking even.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 am

It has no real target audience. DCEU fans? A sequel to SS, a widely critiqued POS film? Fans of Harley Quinn from the cartoon? A rated R film that you expect kids to go to? Comic book fans, when it doesn't follow the comics at all? It seems like it was just thrown together to capitalize on Harley Quinn from SS and Deadpoolized to get attention. It's a mess.

Possibly. Like I said, I was not into BoP from the get-go. The earlier trailers did nothing for me and I kind of blocked it out early. It wasn't until the last trailer to where it grabbed and held my attention.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Riiiight. Nah, I'm paying attention. The movie has its issues, durrr, but all in all, as a whole, the movie isn't bad and I've read a lot of reviews from the audience and fans. If you want a good gage, Scott Medelson from Forbes is a good go-to. He hit on all points. The movie being bad not the issue.

RT, which was quoted above, is no longer reliable, obviously. How many times does the critics score and the audience score completely disagree? Even now, the critic score has dropped to 80%...it has been falling the entire week. They STILL have not opened audience reviews.

As of now, the audience scores for BoP are good. RT was always garbage. It became nonsensical long ago. When they include the RT score in TV spots now as must-see, the site became a marketing grab.

IMO, WB had no confidence in this thing and cut their losses. If it breaks even, they'll be lucky. No, as Abitaman pointed out, this is an HQ movie...the others are not the focus. HQ will not get more solo movies after this...although I still like the idea of an animated movie. This was Margo Robbie's pet project - and it failed.

I think this is more-so the issue. They gave Margot a ton of power and control. They should have just made this a HQ film and go full throttle. Robbie was basically the only cast with star-power and they banked on that. The studio obviously didn't expect this to be SSquad numbers with the proof of the budget. This is Hamada's first mis-fire. They need to fix what went wrong and who to target. Harley had a ton of fangirls. The PG-13 rating for this one would have been beneficial.

Or they can rebound with a true Gotham City Sirens. HQ, Poisen Ivy, Batgirl. Boom (but they can't fuck it up. Can't, can't, can't).

No, it will have to start with WW84...THAT is the movie that will get the pressure.

No, WW is a separate thing. BoP has no barring on WW84 whatsoever. You got to factor in the universe. Harley Quinn's next appearance and role will be in Gunns' TSSquad. That film will have a job of picking up Harley's pieces. That film should also have a much bigger audience so if handled well, BoP will just be a hiccup.

How did it go the last time DC "stole" a Marvel director...JJ?

Patty Jenkins on Wonder Woman. Nothing more needs to be said there.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:07 am

Mark Hughes:

Several things are true:
1.BirdsOfPrey is underperforming worldwide by about 20%.
2. BoP hits black ink at around $300M, & will make good money on blu-ray/digital, so it’ll still do okay.
3. WB should probably release a PG-13 cut because the R rating cost them a lot of young female fans.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Mark Hughes:

Several things are true:
1.BirdsOfPrey is underperforming worldwide by about 20%.
2. BoP hits black ink at around $300M, & will make good money on blu-ray/digital, so it’ll still do okay.
3. WB should probably release a PG-13 cut because the R rating cost them a lot of young female fans.

It's performing about what I expected it to perform.
Relying on Blu-ray and digital, etc., to make a profit is a very bad thing....and I would not be confident it will make up the difference.
There will not be a PG-13 version because WB will not dump more money into a failing project.
This should have been an HBOMax movie.
Monker
MP3

Postby Memorex » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:12 pm

A very well deserved Oscar win tonight for Phoenix. Dude knocked it out of the park.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:05 pm

You get what you fucking deserve!

Amazing. JP bringing the fire.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:59 am

There was NO way conceivable anyone but Joaquin was taking home the Oscar for Best Actor. Especially not Leo (as if).
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:01 am

Monker wrote:An $84 budget, lol. I bet WB wishes that is what it cost!

But, you are correct. If you add on any additional costs, this may have issues breaking even.

Ha. I knew you'd like that typo.

One thing is certain: WB's PR team isn't out there buying up rows of seats to artificially inflate the film's domestic gross, unlike their competitor. :wink:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:An $84 budget, lol. I bet WB wishes that is what it cost!

Ha. I knew you'd like that typo.

One thing is certain: WB's PR team isn't out there buying up rows of seats to artificially inflate the film's domestic gross, unlike their competitor. :wink:

Well, to guarantee a billion dollar film: 1,000,000,000/15 ($15 per seat) = 66,666,666

So, they really can't because they would lose even more money...since it only made $33million opening weekend.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am

So this is odd and a first. After the BO misfire, WB has changed the title to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:So this is odd and a first. After the BO misfire, WB has changed the title to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

Next week they're going to change the title to "Justice League: The Snyder Cut" :lol:
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm

RedWingFan wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:So this is odd and a first. After the BO misfire, WB has changed the title to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

Next week they're going to change the title to "Justice League: The Snyder Cut" :lol:

Do ittttt.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:42 pm

Update on the #BirdsofPrey title change: It's apparently for display/search purposes only for vendors and theaters, not an official title change. Just to clarify for those of you writing about it.

Makes sense then.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Update on the #BirdsofPrey title change: It's apparently for display/search purposes only for vendors and theaters, not an official title change. Just to clarify for those of you writing about it.

Makes sense then.

Uh, no it doesn't. "Harley Quinn" was already part of the title, "The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn". And, it DID appear in searches because that is how I searched for it, "Harley Quinn".

So, whoever wrote that is lying or they simply do not know what they are talking about.

OBVIOUSLY, they changed the title so people knew it was a Harley Quinn movie...and to help those who have no clue who "Birds of Prey" are.

But, it really doesn't matter. This thing was DOA regardless of the wording of the title.
Monker
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am

Henry Cavill Rumored Back As Superman For 'Shazam' 2 | Cosmic Book News
https://cosmicbook.news/henry-cavill-superman-shazam-2

Would be great
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Ok, I finally watched Shazam because, well, quarantine and blah, blah, blah. It was OK, about what I expected. Maybe 7/10.

One bit that surprisingly annoyed me was how it "borrowed" from other movies or stories. I mean, the trailer scene from Jurassic Park 2? Come on.

But, there is one scene that was "borrowed" that I don't think a lot of people would catch. Dr. Sparkly Eyed Baldy man takes Shazam up, up, up in the air and then throws him back down. The first thing I thought of what they got that from Mega-Mind. But, of course Shazam wants to fly. He stops a few inches above the ground. He completely missed the ground.

Read this, because this is exactly what happened:
http://www.extremelysmart.com/humor/howtofly.php
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 am

Ayer confirmed this TODAY and says it was FILMED: https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/1259555918255030273

@TheCivilMovie

From what I've heard, after Joker's helicopter crashed, he made a deal with enchantress where he'd take Harley and be the king of Gotham and was present in the third act. Since SS was mainly a Harley (And Deadshot) film, the temptation would have been greater.

Concept art:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Tue May 12, 2020 5:55 am

Saw in several online articles yesterday, DC has scrapped the Supergirl movie and they are moving back with Superman. Rock mentioned Henry C is still in running for movies.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 am

Those assholes just need to PAY the man!
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara