'Worlds of DC' THREAD

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: 'Worlds of DC' THREAD

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 pm

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:Leave the Doctor Magoo shit out of this, maaan! Irrevelant. :lol:

It's perfectly relevant when you want to claim that DC did it first. The fact is, they didn't. Actually, Sliders did it, too.

Since you have such a hard-on for discussing characters crossing over into other characters' universes, timelines, neighborhoods, or whichever setting tickles your nuts, and/or moving forward and backward through timelines, keep in mind that DC draws on eighty years of publishing history.

I guess for you that would only make a difference had TV shows and films featuring multiple DC characters began appearing in 1940. It took decades for comic book properties to be considered viable, and DC still gatecrashed the boob tube and the silver screen with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and crushed that hurdle flat. It took a long time for monies to be invested to make these grandiose stories be adapted and waved through with the same conveniences afforded traditional SFF.

Oh, and the Green Hornet and Kato (as in Van Williams and Bruce Lee) appeared in three episodes of Batman (as in Adam West and Burt Ward). HA! :lol:

GREAT POST.

As always!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Just a daily reminder that Zack Snyder's Justice League IS happening in 2021 and how big of a victory it is and how insanely awesome it's going to be. The stench of the shit sandwich all haters will be nawing on in the corner will even be welcomed and celebrated.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Just a daily reminder that Zack Snyder's Justice League IS happening in 2021 and how big of a victory it is and how insanely awesome it's going to be. The stench of the shit sandwich all haters will be nawing on in the corner will even be welcomed and celebrated.

The shit stirrers' attempts to keep stirring furiously will be in vain.

As will any attempt to downplay the cred of certain directors by armchair critics who are too lazy to clean up their HTML tags. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:15 am

verslibre wrote:
YoungJRNYfan wrote:Just a daily reminder that Zack Snyder's Justice League IS happening in 2021 and how big of a victory it is and how insanely awesome it's going to be. The stench of the shit sandwich all haters will be nawing on in the corner will even be welcomed and celebrated.

As will any attempt to downplay the cred of certain directors by armchair critics who are too lazy to clean up their HTML tags. :lol:

It's not HTML.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:26 am

You must have deleted this post...I don't see it anywhere but YJ's quote...

verslibre wrote:Since you have such a hard-on for discussing characters crossing over into other characters' universes, timelines, neighborhoods, or whichever setting tickles your nuts, and/or moving forward and backward through timelines

No, not true at all. YJ said that Movie Flash showing upon TV Flash was the first time two actors playing the same role showed up on the same scene. That is flat out NOT TRUE. Sorry you can't accept that fact.

I guess for you that would only make a difference had TV shows and films featuring multiple DC characters began appearing in 1940. It took decades for comic book properties to be considered viable, and DC still gatecrashed the boob tube and the silver screen with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and crushed that hurdle flat. It took a long time for monies to be invested to make these grandiose stories be adapted and waved through with the same conveniences afforded traditional SFF.

I really don't care about any of that. The only thing I'll say to that is most comic book movies are NOT science fiction...they are fantasy.

Oh, and the Green Hornet and Kato (as in Van Williams and Bruce Lee) appeared in three episodes of Batman (as in Adam West and Burt Ward). HA! :lol:

Yes, I know...I loved those two shows since I was a little kid...I probably have that cross-over on my DVR somewhere. Those two shows are being shown on MeTV.

I never thought of them as two different universes, as you seem to imply. They always seemed to be part of a shared universe, or whatever.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 am

verslibre wrote:

Just telling the truth. All I am saying is that "A list" directors can create movies that are not that successful (ie: Blade Runner), and not "A List" directors can create hits ("Civil War"). Who the director is does not guarantee anything...and Marvel has had success without "A List" directors.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am

Monker wrote:You must have deleted this post...I don't see it anywhere but YJ's quote...

I haven't deleted anything. If he can quote me, it should still be there.

Monker wrote:No, not true at all. YJ said that Movie Flash showing upon TV Flash was the first time two actors playing the same role showed up on the same scene. That is flat out NOT TRUE. Sorry you can't accept that fact.

He's referring to superheroes, man. If you need to get that technical, you can go back to OG Star Trek. You can go back to The Twilight Zone. And you can keep going back...

What are we discussing, DC's current plans, or everything filmed within the last hundred years?

I remember a few years back you flipped your wig and started citing every SF show ever made in the midst of another silly argument, and it had nothing to do with the topic. Anyone can copy/paste. And you know what? You STILL missed that goofy '70s show Quark! :lol:

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I guess for you that would only make a difference had TV shows and films featuring multiple DC characters began appearing in 1940. It took decades for comic book properties to be considered viable, and DC still gatecrashed the boob tube and the silver screen with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and crushed that hurdle flat. It took a long time for monies to be invested to make these grandiose stories be adapted and waved through with the same conveniences afforded traditional SFF.

I really don't care about any of that. The only thing I'll say to that is most comic book movies are NOT science fiction...they are fantasy.

Again, what exactly are YOU discussing? I think you're having a conversation with yourself.

And all that third-rate "science fiction" you love isn't really SF, it's SFF, or science fantasy – emphasis on FANTASY. Doctor Whooters, too!

Star Whores is space opera, which is an unabashed fantasy in an interstellar setting. That's the only fucking difference. What do you think a lightsaber represents? A sword.

Monker wrote:Yes, I know...I loved those two shows since I was a little kid...I probably have that cross-over on my DVR somewhere. Those two shows are being shown on MeTV.

Not here, they aren't. They took Batman off (again) and I've never seen The Green Hornet on. They love airing multiple episodes of Perry Mason, Matlock and In the Heat of the Night daily, though! :lol:

Monker wrote:I never thought of them as two different universes, as you seem to imply. They always seemed to be part of a shared universe, or whatever.

DC didn't publish Green Hornet back then. That was the studio's idea. Those universes crossed over, they weren't shared in the way you assume.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:22 am

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Just telling the truth. All I am saying is that "A list" directors can create movies that are not that successful (ie: Blade Runner), and not "A List" directors can create hits ("Civil War"). Who the director is does not guarantee anything...and Marvel has had success without "A List" directors.

No, Blade Runner 2049 didn't make the money they expected it to, but it still didn't land in the red journal like Solo did, and it's a thousand times better than the crapfest Endgame turned out to be.

It didn't damage Denis' cred, anyway. He's the director of Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival. He's rated as a heavy. Did Eyes Wide Shut even scratch Kubrick's rep? Nope.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:21 am

WHOA! :x

Joss Wheadon’s on-set treatment of the cast and crew of Justice League was gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable.

He was enabled, in many ways, by Geoff Johns and Jon Berg.

Accountability>Entertainment

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1278362556214755329
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:06 pm

verslibre wrote:No, Blade Runner 2049 didn't make the money they expected it to, but it still didn't land in the red journal like Solo did, and it's a thousand times better than the crapfest Endgame turned out to be.

All you did above was prove my point that "A List" directors do not guarantee a hit.

I can also guarantee you that WB would LOVE to have had ANY DC related film perform as well as Endgame. Personally, I would rather watch Endgame than Blade Runner any day. I think you are very much in the minority in your opinion about Endgame...it's a bit of a silly point, really.

BTW, the original Blade Runner was not a huge hit either.

It didn't damage Denis' cred, anyway. He's the director of Prisoners, Sicario, and Arrival. He's rated as a heavy. Did Eyes Wide Shut even scratch Kubrick's rep? Nope.

I'm not saying he can't make a good movie...I'm just saying that even though he may be thought of as "A List", it doesn't mean that everything he touches turns to gold.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:36 pm

verslibre wrote:He's referring to superheroes, man. If you need to get that technical, you can go back to OG Star Trek. You can go back to The Twilight Zone. And you can keep going back...

Well, he didn't say that, did he? And, it's not that "technical'.

I also do not recall two actors ever playing the same role on either Star Trek (any version) or Twilight Zone. I also do not know what OG:Star Trek is. Do you mean ST:TOS? That's how I know it, anyway: ST:TOS, ST:TNG, ST:V, ST:DS9, ST:E, ST:D....I don't know how Piccard is referred to, I spose ST:P...and I don't know about any other of CBS:All Access series.

What are we discussing, DC's current plans, or everything filmed within the last hundred years?

Well, YJ said that DC was the first to have two actors playing the same role appear in a scene together. I pointed out that is simply NOT TRUE...and you are trying to argue with me about that FACT.

Monker wrote:
verslibre wrote:I guess for you that would only make a difference had TV shows and films featuring multiple DC characters began appearing in 1940. It took decades for comic book properties to be considered viable, and DC still gatecrashed the boob tube and the silver screen with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and crushed that hurdle flat. It took a long time for monies to be invested to make these grandiose stories be adapted and waved through with the same conveniences afforded traditional SFF.

Again, what exactly are YOU discussing? I think you're having a conversation with yourself.

Well, I was definitely not discussing the entire history of DC comics and TV. I just don't care. But, there is a specific definition of what Science Fiction is, and most comic book stories do not fall into that genre. They are more fantasy. Actually, they are more modern day myths more akin to Greek and Roman myth. Did you know that "superheroes" are essentially unique to the US? What "superhero" did England invent, or Spain, or Germany? They have become American Mythology.

But whatever, most of it is NOT science fiction.

And all that third-rate "science fiction" you love isn't really SF, it's SFF, or science fantasy – emphasis on FANTASY. Doctor Whooters, too!

Dr. Who is absolutely science fiction. It's about a species of people who can travel through time and space, and one that went rogue. If you remove that you can not tell the story.

Star Whores is space opera, which is an unabashed fantasy in an interstellar setting.

Correct. There is no "science" thread used to tell the story. It could easily be told in a completely different setting.

That's the only fucking difference. What do you think a lightsaber represents? A sword.

Correct. It's a laser sword. That is what Lucas originally called it...and why Luke calls it a "laser sword" in "The Last Jedi".
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:54 pm

verslibre wrote:WHOA! :x

Joss Wheadon’s on-set treatment of the cast and crew of Justice League was gross, abusive, unprofessional, and completely unacceptable.

He was enabled, in many ways, by Geoff Johns and Jon Berg.

Accountability>Entertainment

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1278362556214755329

Joss is a piece of SHIT hack. Fuck Josstice League. Bring in the BOSS!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Monker wrote:Oh, and now I find that HBOMax is dropping some WB/DC content....LOL:
Wonder Woman
Justice Legaue
Batman vs. Superman
Lego Batman
The Dark Knight trilogy

And, a LOT of others - all off the service at the end of the month. I guess they are doing some type of 'rotation'? What a farce.

HBOMax is doing absolutely NOTHING right.

Due to popular fan demand, HBO Max has extended the availability of popular DC films till December 2020:

Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition)
Suicide Squad
Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV,
Watchmen
Wonder Woman
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 am

:|

Gal Gadot refused to do the scene where Flash lands on Diana’s breasts and Joss Whedon kept inisisting, until he asked a stunt double to come in just to do the scene. This sounds horrible. That set must have been a nightmare.

https://twitter.com/amxndareviews/status/1279067616217313283
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:34 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote:Oh, and now I find that HBOMax is dropping some WB/DC content....LOL:
Wonder Woman
Justice Legaue
Batman vs. Superman
Lego Batman
The Dark Knight trilogy

And, a LOT of others - all off the service at the end of the month. I guess they are doing some type of 'rotation'? What a farce.

HBOMax is doing absolutely NOTHING right.

Due to popular fan demand, HBO Max has extended the availability of popular DC films till December 2020:

Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition)
Suicide Squad
Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV,
Watchmen
Wonder Woman

A bit too late. Have to wonder how many people canned HBOMax after that fiasco.

How many subscribers do they even have?
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:36 am

verslibre wrote::|

Gal Gadot refused to do the scene where Flash lands on Diana’s breasts and Joss Whedon kept inisisting, until he asked a stunt double to come in just to do the scene. This sounds horrible. That set must have been a nightmare.

https://twitter.com/amxndareviews/status/1279067616217313283

So, fans are going about saying this must have been a horror story of a film to work on. So, there must be dozens of others stories like this one. What are some of the others...because this is the only one that I have seen. To me it seems like this have been completely blown out of proportion.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:35 am

Have a little patience. I'm sure more are coming. 8)
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:35 am

verslibre wrote:Have a little patience. I'm sure more are coming. 8)

Possibly. But, it has already been judged. It has been judged on the flimsiest of evidence....even this evidence has been out there for a long time. IMO, it looks like people trying to support Snyder by attacking Wheedon.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:31 am

Monker wrote:

Possibly. But, it has already been judged. It has been judged on the flimsiest of evidence....even this evidence has been out there for a long time. IMO, it looks like people trying to support Snyder by attacking Wheedon.

No. There have been rumblings of Joss' behavior here and there. Zack's supporters vied for the completion and subsequent release of ZSJL. WB got the heat. Joss was simply recognized for what he is: an unimpressive writer and filmmaker.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:05 am

verslibre wrote:
Monker wrote:

No. There have been rumblings of Joss' behavior here and there. Zack's supporters vied for the completion and subsequent release of ZSJL. WB got the heat. Joss was simply recognized for what he is: an unimpressive writer and filmmaker.

Well, the very attitude by you two in this thread it is Joss is an ass and Snyder is Springsteen. Timing seems very convenient. "rumblings here and there" does not equate to evidence or proof.

Joss has a history in both Buffy and Firefly, and the first Avengers movie, and other various TV shows. He is fine as a writer and film maker. WB put him in an impossible situation of taking over Snyder's movie, which was probably 3/4 finished, having to rework it to appease WB, rewrite, reshoot, etc. in a matter of just a few months. It's not like JL was his project start to finish.

I also find it ironic that we just had a discussion where I said an "A List" director can release a bad movie...and you argue that every director has a turd or two. But, you just Joss on one film....IMO, that is because that one film is a DC film and it was a project taken over from Snyder.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Not interested in "discussing" Joss, dude. Don't care about Buffy (never have) or Firefly (ditto) or Serenity (tried to watch it, and fell asleep).
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 am

Looks like Keanu is going to play Constantine again!!!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:48 pm

verslibre wrote:Looks like Keanu is going to play Constantine again!!!

Are you sure? All I see when I Google it is wishful fan art and fake trailers.
Monker
MP3

Postby verslibre » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:19 am

The very first trailer, unveiled yesterday at DC FanDome, for Matt Reeves' The Batman.

This film is only 25% complete and that didn't stop Reeves from cutting a trailer that has fandom raving across social media!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbUEueLx-eU
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:52 am

The only thing that really impressed me was Rocksteady's teaser for the "Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League" game. That game looks awesome. With their history of the Arkham games and the way this one looks, it is definitely something I am getting. Kinda blows away the last Suicide Squad movie.

"The Batman" - not that impressed. Need to see more, but right now it is just not something I care about.

"Snyder's Justice League" - I canned HBO. Right now, this is not enough to get me to sign back up. Four one hour episodes and a new full cut of the movie....this is not what was talked about earlier in this thread, saying there would be so many more hours. Maybe I could be more impressed with the next trailer. This first one was seem to be aimed at his Snydercut fans.

The Flash movie...kinda 'meh" to me. Right now it seems to be full of gimmicks to get viewers, now adding a Batfleck "goodbye" cameo.

Wonder Woman '84: It looks OK, but not as impressive as the first movie. Interesting news about Jenkins having issues with ATT.

The Suicide Squad - The James Gunn movie, not game. It looks kinda interesting in a weird way. The first look of the Rocksteady game looks better. I'm interested enough to want to see a full trailer.

The Gotham Knights game: I don't know, it looks OK...but I'm not sold on it. I'd rather buy/play the Arkham games I have not played through.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:51 am

DCFandome had 22 million fucking viewers.

22 M I L L I O N!

FIIIIIIIIIRE!
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:56 am

Monker wrote: "Snyder's Justice League" - I canned HBO. Right now, this is not enough to get me to sign back up. Four one hour episodes and a new full cut of the movie....this is not what was talked about earlier in this thread, saying there would be so many more hours. Maybe I could be more impressed with the next trailer. This first one was seem to be aimed at his Snydercut fans.

4 hrs of Zack Snyders JL! 4 fucking hours! Eat it. PLUG YOU'RE FUCKING NOSE and eat it. If not, go reside in the MCU thread. STFU or GTFU.

The Batman" - not that impressed. Need to see more, but right now it is just not something I care about.

Are you kidding me? Fucking shocker there. Where's the middle finger icon. Can we get one?
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Monker wrote: "Snyder's Justice League" - I canned HBO. Right now, this is not enough to get me to sign back up. Four one hour episodes and a new full cut of the movie....this is not what was talked about earlier in this thread, saying there would be so many more hours. Maybe I could be more impressed with the next trailer. This first one was seem to be aimed at his Snydercut fans.

4 hrs of Zack Snyders JL! 4 fucking hours!

Yeah, so? Were you not the one saying more? This definitely more like I thought it would be...just finishing his version of the story...and NOT adding all of these crazy tangents to make a six or ten hour series. It was just never going to happen.

As for getting the movie itself. If you enjoy it, good for you. It's not something I'm on the edge of my seat to see.

The Batman" - not that impressed. Need to see more, but right now it is just not something I care about.

Are you kidding me? Fucking shocker there. Where's the middle finger icon. Can we get one?

The dude looks like a 12yr old kid playing Batman. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. Maybe as they release trailers and such I will change my mind...but right now, 'meh'.
Monker
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Yeah, so?

Yeah, so :lol: Zack said it's probably longer than his 214. 4 fucking hours is insane. Eat it.

This definitely more like I thought it would be...just finishing his version of the story...and NOT adding all of these crazy tangents to make a six or ten hour series.

There's still potential for additional photography. Even if it doesn't happen, 4 hrs of Zack's film is insaneeee.

As for getting the movie itself. If you enjoy it, good for you. It's not something I'm on the edge of my seat to see.

STFU.

The dude looks like a 12yr old kid playing Batman. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. Maybe as they release trailers and such I will change my mind...but right now, 'meh'.

STFU.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:39 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
Yeah, so?

Yeah, so :lol: Zack said it's probably longer than his 214. 4 fucking hours is insane. Eat it.

That's not 'insane' at all. It is basically an extended cut of a movie. It would be insane if it were a 10hr long series. This is just realistic and basically what I expected when it was announced.

This definitely more like I thought it would be...just finishing his version of the story...and NOT adding all of these crazy tangents to make a six or ten hour series.

There's still potential for additional photography. Even if it doesn't happen, 4 hrs of Zack's film is insaneeee.

I'm sure there will be scenes reshot and new scenes filmed. With the insane budget ATT put up, there better be.

A four hour long JL movie on HBOMax is no more insane then the extended cuts of the various LotR movies.
Monker
MP3

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara