Lawrence Gowan review

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Postby Archetype » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:07 pm

For fuck's sake, guys. Seriously? Joke's on all of you, because Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, James Young, Chuck Panozzo, Lawrence Gowan, August Zadra, Todd Sucherman, Ricky Philips, Jimmy Leahy, Craig Carter, John Blasucci and Tom Sharpe are extremely happy about where they're at in life right now.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Archetype wrote:For fuck's sake, guys. Seriously? Joke's on all of you, because Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, James Young, Chuck Panozzo, Lawrence Gowan, August Zadra, Todd Sucherman, Ricky Philips, Jimmy Leahy, Craig Carter, John Blasucci and Tom Sharpe are extremely happy about where they're at in life right now.

+1
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Archetype wrote:For fuck's sake, guys. Seriously? Joke's on all of you, because Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, James Young, Chuck Panozzo, Lawrence Gowan, August Zadra, Todd Sucherman, Ricky Philips, Jimmy Leahy, Craig Carter, John Blasucci and Tom Sharpe are extremely happy about where they're at in life right now.

They can't be.

None these guys can tour in Canada, unless Gowan is with them
Monker
MP3

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Monker wrote:

They can't be.

None these guys can tour in Canada, unless Gowan is with them

OMFG, seriously? :shock:
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.

Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.

Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.

How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?

Nobody obviously.
Your turn.

Let's try again shall we.Toph.
You didn't answer my question but danced around it with a question.

If Dennis were to tour as:
Dennis DeYoung Band plays Boomchild and the other one I don't remember
Back to back.

Would that be more successful than Dennis and the music of Styx.?

no it wouldnt because boomchild and the other you cant remember were decent albums at best and did not sell well....but guess what??? if dennis went out and played styx 1 and man of miracles back to back it wouldnt sell much better either....only to the super hard core styx fans....because those albums are almost as forgotten as his solo albums....not by me but by the majority of folks. it's all about promoting what made you rich and famous to begin with.

And the same scenario would happen if he went out and played "the best of Gowan."

A better comparison - how many tickets does Larry Gowan sell if he plays the music of Styx in a solo show. That is what I thought....

Are you a bit thick between the ears toph.
I will try and make it simpler.

Would a Dennis DeYoung Band touring Dennis solo music, sell better than A Dennis and the music of Styx.?
Yes or No.Two choices.Pick one
Yes or no?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:23 am

I didn't want to start a whole new thread with this, but I wanted to say.....

As so many folks like to mock Styx for playing state fairs rather than mega stadiums as in yesteryear, I came across an interesting pic on Twitter that definitely shows that they played fairs even during the glory years:

August 25, 1978. Post-Grand Illusion, pre-Pieces of Eight. Indiana State Fair.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby gr8whitehope » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 am

Cassie May wrote:I didn't want to start a whole new thread with this, but I wanted to say.....

As so many folks like to mock Styx for playing state fairs rather than mega stadiums as in yesteryear, I came across an interesting pic on Twitter that definitely shows that they played fairs even during the glory years:

The people on this forum are negative nancys with no lives. Bands have always played theaters and festivals since the start of bands touring. Acts today with current hits are playing the same theaters and fairs as Styx currently are and in the summer Styx are playing the big sheds with co-headlining acts. And guess what? Bands have always done that. Do you really think a band could play 110 arenas a year?????? Styx are as alive as they have ever been and are playing to 100's of thousands of people every year and the ingrates on this forum are just spewing sewage from their mouths trying to bring this great band down. Enjoy the music and don't worry about anything else.
gr8whitehope
Ol' 78

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:38 am

Cassie May wrote:I didn't want to start a whole new thread with this, but I wanted to say.....

Some of the best shows i've seen were at the local fests here in Chicago area....i've seen Dennis, Night Ranger, Joan Jett, REO, and .38 Special. Unfortunately i missed Ted Nugent when he played one of the fests here last year 8)
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:33 am

gr8whitehope wrote:

The people on this forum are negative nancys with no lives. Bands have always played theaters and festivals since the start of bands touring. Acts today with current hits are playing the same theaters and fairs as Styx currently are and in the summer Styx are playing the big sheds with co-headlining acts. And guess what? Bands have always done that. Do you really think a band could play 110 arenas a year?????? Styx are as alive as they have ever been and are playing to 100's of thousands of people every year and the ingrates on this forum are just spewing sewage from their mouths trying to bring this great band down. Enjoy the music and don't worry about anything else.

Are you really trying to say that Styx is just as popular now as they were 30 years ago?!?!? Really?!?! Man put the Kool Aid down....
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8whitehope » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 am

Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

Are you really trying to say that Styx is just as popular now as they were 30 years ago?!?!? Really?!?! Man put the Kool Aid down....

There are more people buying tickets to see Styx this year than there was 30 years ago.
gr8whitehope
Ol' 78

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

gr8whitehope wrote:
There are more people buying tickets to see Styx this year than there was 30 years ago.

Evidence?
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:47 pm

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.

Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.

How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?

Nobody obviously.
Your turn.

Back to back.

no it wouldnt because boomchild and the other you cant remember were decent albums at best and did not sell well....but guess what??? if dennis went out and played styx 1 and man of miracles back to back it wouldnt sell much better either....only to the super hard core styx fans....because those albums are almost as forgotten as his solo albums....not by me but by the majority of folks. it's all about promoting what made you rich and famous to begin with.

And the same scenario would happen if he went out and played "the best of Gowan."

A better comparison - how many tickets does Larry Gowan sell if he plays the music of Styx in a solo show. That is what I thought....

Would a Dennis DeYoung Band touring Dennis solo music, sell better than A Dennis and the music of Styx.?
Yes or no?

I think we can safely say,that by now, toph has proven to be this sites tophypocrite.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 pm

masque wrote:
it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

These days Dennis may be more like Gilmour.But as Styx and Dennis became more rich and famous,
in the old days,I think Dennis was more like Roger Waters.Full of self importance,telling every one what to do
and become a total prick.The funny thing,Waters quit thinking Floyd wouldn't and couldn't carry on without him.
Water's solo discs were shit and he couldn't sell any tickets.
Dennis thought he could do what ever he wanted to do,when he wanted to without the rest of Styx.
His solo albums tanked and so did his broadway shit.Styx fired him.
Now Roger and Dennis are touring the old Floyd and Styx music and not a solo song in sight.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby gr8whitehope » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 am

gr8dane wrote:
masque wrote:
it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

These days Dennis may be more like Gilmour.But as Styx and Dennis became more rich and famous,
in the old days,I think Dennis was more like Roger Waters.Full of self importance,telling every one what to do
and become a total prick.The funny thing,Waters quit thinking Floyd wouldn't and couldn't carry on without him.
Water's solo discs were shit and he couldn't sell any tickets.
Dennis thought he could do what ever he wanted to do,when he wanted to without the rest of Styx.
His solo albums tanked and so did his broadway shit.Styx fired him.
Now Roger and Dennis are touring the old Floyd and Styx music and not a solo song in sight.

The Waters solo albums are fantastic. And when not on the Wall tour Waters always plays some solo stuff. Leaving Beirut, Amused to Death ect.
gr8whitehope
Ol' 78

Postby Toph » Tue May 01, 2012 2:16 am

gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Nobody obviously.
Your turn.

Back to back.

Yes or no?

I think we can safely say,that by now, toph has proven to be this sites tophypocrite.

No I think what we've proven is you and your FB Monker are idiots...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 am

gr8whitehope wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

You all continue to live in your dream world. How many copies of Cyclorama were sold again?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
masque wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Nobody obviously.
Your turn.

Back to back.

Yes or no?

No I think what we've proven is you and your FB Monker are idiots...

Let's just back up a little bit here.
As you can see,I have asked you the same question 3 times, and even if, all you had to do was answer yes or no,
and still could not comprehend an answer,and I am an idiot?

Anyways, did you notice how I incorporated your name in 'tophypocrite'?
Rather crafty,don't you think?
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 01, 2012 4:22 am

Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

You all continue to live in your dream world. How many copies of Cyclorama were sold again?

Well.Since you insist.It sold a lot more than 'Dalmatians'.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

But, it didn't go gold in Canada like 100yrs did, so it must suck.
Monker
MP3

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 01, 2012 11:05 am

brywool wrote:
Cassie May wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.

I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.

Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.

Yes, I listened to Rockline and watched CNN. Rockline also had Nugent on, and it must have been taped before all the controversy last week; it was never discussed. CNN is running a week-long group of segments called Age Against the Machine. Styx was interviewed in a 10 minute segment in which they talked about their ages, what they do to stay in shape, etc. Wasn't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2rBreXoAc

Thanx by the way.Nice one.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Monker wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but, I don't think there was ever a official soundtrack release for Dalmatians that was actually for sale.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote: But, it didn't go gold in Canada like 100yrs did, so it must suck.

Correct me if I am wrong but, I don't think there was ever a official soundtrack release for Dalmatians that was actually for sale.

I believe you are correct, that's just Monker grasping for straws :roll:
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8whitehope wrote:

You are not wrong.Guess it must have been pretty bad if it wasn't worth releasing.
There was a conversation going on about ticket sales then and now.
But of course toph had to throw something totally irrelevant to the conversation in.
Then I thought I'd play along.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Styx