Is "Chinatown" on XIV, THE Chinatown song!?

All things Toto

Moderator: Andrew

Is "Chinatown" on XIV, THE Chinatown song!?

Postby TotoFan77 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Andrew (or anyone else in the know) is Chinatown on the upcoming Toto XIV, THE actual Chinatown that was supposed to be on Toto IV but left off? I really REALLY hope so.
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Is "Chinatown" on XIV, THE Chinatown song!?

Postby St.George » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi there,

You'd better ask Lukather himself via twitter. A few months ago he said this when somebody asked him about the songs for the new album.

"All new but ONE I found of Paich's. It is a classic. from 1977 updated and fresh."
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby Sundet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm

Back in a 1994 interview with the now defunct Toto Legend fan club, Steve Porcaro listed a few songs that never made it onto an album. I believe most of those he mentioned by title wound up on Toto XX, but he also made mention of Chinatown. I guess that's the one - then and now.

I do wonder if they ever recorded Runaway properly for real. Not that it is a song worth writing home about, but they did is as an encore on three or four consecutive tours.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:04 am

Sundet wrote:
I do wonder if they ever recorded Runaway properly for real. Not that it is a song worth writing home about, but they did is as an encore on three or four consecutive tours.

It's not a great song, but it's fun, and I'd definitely like to have a proper version of it. I certainly rank it higher than most of the "Georgy Porgy"-type Steely Dan-tinged soft-rock tunes they peppered their early LPs with.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 12, 2015 6:04 am

"Chinatown" is in my top 3 from the new album. Love it.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:"Chinatown" is in my top 3 from the new album. Love it.

Definitely. Great track. Smooth as hell as you said in another thread.

My top 4 in no particular order right now:

Running Out of Time
Holy War
Chinatown
Great Expectations
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:My top 4 in no particular order right now:

Running Out of Time
Holy War
Chinatown
Great Expectations

Yea, I agree with this list. I like the diversity on XIV alot. Could've used maybe one more rocker.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JohnH » Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:"Chinatown" is in my top 3 from the new album. Love it.

Definitely. Great track. Smooth as hell as you said in another thread.

My top 4 in no particular order right now:

Running Out of Time
Holy War
Chinatown
Great Expectations

And add Burn for me. Chinatown sounds like Jeff is back on drums.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby Sundet » Fri May 29, 2015 3:41 pm

Am I the only one in here who doesn't get Holy War? To be frank, I think it's a bland late 80's melodic arena rock track that would probably make a bunch of middle-aged, bald men (having long lost or shed their mullets) fist-pump, but it seems totally out of place in such a fantastic collection of songs that is Toto XIV. I also think the bridge in the otherwise stellar Burn seems out of place for exactly the same reason - that one cries out for a Lukather solo but instead there is a standard late 80's bridge that, thankfully, doesn't last long enough to ruin the song (for me, that is). It's not that I have anything against late 80's melodic arena rock, but much prefer its contemporary incarnations.

On a much more positive note, I would like to emphasize that I do think Toto XIV contains some of the band's best songwriting to date, right up there with Tambu. Having Joseph Williams back has certainly helped in that respect - I have always thought his songwriting is right up there with his singing.
Sundet
45 RPM

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Sundet wrote:Am I the only one in here who doesn't get Holy War? To be frank, I think it's a bland late 80's melodic arena rock track that would probably make a bunch of middle-aged, bald men (having long lost or shed their mullets) fist-pump, but it seems totally out of place in such a fantastic collection of songs that is Toto XIV. I also think the bridge in the otherwise stellar Burn seems out of place for exactly the same reason - that one cries out for a Lukather solo but instead there is a standard late 80's bridge that, thankfully, doesn't last long enough to ruin the song (for me, that is). It's not that I have anything against late 80's melodic arena rock, but much prefer its contemporary incarnations.

On a much more positive note, I would like to emphasize that I do think Toto XIV contains some of the band's best songwriting to date, right up there with Tambu. Having Joseph Williams back has certainly helped in that respect - I have always thought his songwriting is right up there with his singing.

The big chorus is a bit 80s by numbers, but hey, that's what I paid to hear. The rest of the tune is a pretty unique proggy/moody track that I really dig. Luke's rhythm playing and lead fills in the verses are cool, and I like the message behind the vocals.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby r@y » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:19 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:The big chorus is a bit 80s by numbers, but hey, that's what I paid to hear. The rest of the tune is a pretty unique proggy/moody track that I really dig. Luke's rhythm playing and lead fills in the verses are cool, and I like the message behind the vocals.

+1

:D

Ray
In the land of the pigs, the butcher is King..!
r@y
LP

Postby Anymajordude » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:03 am

Sundet wrote:Am I the only one in here who doesn't get Holy War? To be frank, I think it's a bland late 80's melodic arena rock track that would probably make a bunch of middle-aged, bald men (having long lost or shed their mullets) fist-pump, but it seems totally out of place in such a fantastic collection of songs that is Toto XIV. I also think the bridge in the otherwise stellar Burn seems out of place for exactly the same reason - that one cries out for a Lukather solo but instead there is a standard late 80's bridge that, thankfully, doesn't last long enough to ruin the song (for me, that is). It's not that I have anything against late 80's melodic arena rock, but much prefer its contemporary incarnations.

I agree with you about Holy war, but the bridge in Burn is one of my favourite moments on the album, and Tambu is by far my least favourite Toto album :)
Anymajordude
Radio Waves

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:01 pm

I like Holy War alot. Great solo by Luke. Great hooky chorus. Great synth fairy dust magic by Steve P. Burn, on the other hand, does nothing for me. The song is pretty much a looped piano riff and a huge chorus, but it doesn't gel. Not to me at least. I realize many people love it - hey, that's great. Like all of TOTO's tracks, even ones I don't dig, there is soo much going on sonically, I rarely hit 'skip.'

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late to my mullet shape-up appointment at the strip mall SuperClips. :wink:
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I like Holy War alot. Great solo by Luke. Great hooky chorus. Great synth fairy dust magic by Steve P. Burn, on the other hand, does nothing for me. The song is pretty much a looped piano riff and a huge chorus, but it doesn't gel. Not to me at least. I realize many people love it - hey, that's great. Like all of TOTO's tracks, even ones I don't dig, there is soo much going on sonically, I rarely hit 'skip.'

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm late to my mullet shape-up appointment at the strip mall SuperClips. :wink:

I'm with you on Burn - not an awesome tune but sounds cool enough that I'll still listen to it a lot.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Return to Toto