Marvel Movie thread

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Marvel Movie thread

Postby No Surprize » Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 am

I went to see it the first weekend along with my son, his girlfriend, a friend of mine, his daughter, his son, his son's 2 friends. And you know what. Everybody loved it. Total action, good fun entertainment for 3 hours. And I just got thru reading this:

In its second weekend, Disney and Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Age of Ultron remained a force of nature, topping the chart with $77.1 million from 4,276 screens to jump the $300 million mark domestically and putting its world total at a stunning $875.3 million.

I think the Marvel Machine is doing just fine.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
No Surprize
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 12, 2015 6:14 am

RedWingFan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote: The script suffers from a "too many cooks in the kitchen" approach
You didn't like the Vision character? I thought they did a pretty good job with him. The accents were pretty bad, don't know how you really avoid that other than hiring actors from that region. This film had to overlap the heros before weeding some out (presumably). there were a couple of sequences in the opening scene that reminded me of the had cgi in MOS in the ihop or dennys or whatever it was. Thought the cgi after that was fine.

RWF - I thought the movie was a mess. And I'm not sure a director's cut would salvage it. Even Whedon's usually sharp wit was missing (ex. AOU's idea of wit is Stark inquiring if Banner and Black Widow are playing "hide the zucchini?" :roll:) As for Vision...I thought he looked cheesy and the subplot of putting AI into synthetic bodies was a suspension of disbelief too far. Like so much in the movie, Dr. Cho and her fake skin technology just seemed shoe-horned in there. Was Cho is any of the other Marvel films? I don't recall...
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Thu May 14, 2015 2:52 am

"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Sat May 16, 2015 6:35 am

Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat May 16, 2015 7:29 am

Grillo looks badass in his full Crossbones garb, but I'm already dismayed by the start of the looong train of photo "leaks" Marvel has begun in anticipation of the movie. They could take a cue from WB and maintain a slight air of mystery, but Disney seems to want to bank on CBMs more than any other studio.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 am

"Hey! If it ain't broke...don't fix it!" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBy-lYxiyyc#t=175
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am

Metacritic scores compiled for all the MCU films.

No surprise that Thor: The Dark World is at the bottom.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/every-marvel-universe-film-ranked-012300069.html
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:11 am

verslibre wrote:Metacritic scores compiled for all the MCU films.

No surprise that Thor: The Dark World is at the bottom.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/every-marvel-universe-film-ranked-012300069.html

I know they're going by Metric scores, but right now Ant-Man can't be on the list since it's not out yet.

I whole-heartily agree with Iron Man at #1. HANDS DOWN. #2-3 are about right. The only two I'd probably switch are The Incredible Hulk at #9 and Iron Man 2 at #11, though it's all preference at that point. Both were only okay movies, but passable. Thor:TDW was an abomination and it makes me sick just to read the title of the film. That's the nicest I can be.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:20 am

I've got a free ticket to see Ant-Man, so I'll let you know quickly you must jog to the theater to see it. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:23 am

This is the second Marvel movie I really have desire to see. The other was GOTG, and only went to see because my son wanted to see it. While it was ok, I thought if fell apart the last 1/3 of the movie. Hope I am wrong about Antman.

Marvel seems to be running on a proven formula that works, but is getting a little stale. The second Avengers was a good movie, but big let down from the first.

My 3 favorite Marvel movies are
1) Avengers
2) Captain America Winter Solider
3) Ironman
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 am

Abitaman wrote:This is the second Marvel movie I really have desire to see. The other was GOTG, and only went to see because my son wanted to see it. While it was ok, I thought if fell apart the last 1/3 of the movie. Hope I am wrong about Antman.

Marvel seems to be running on a proven formula that works, but is getting a little stale. The second Avengers was a good movie, but big let down from the first.

My 3 favorite Marvel movies are
1) Avengers
2) Captain America Winter Solider
3) Ironman

Waiting for it to start. Getting great #s on RT. 79% critics and 91% audience. Hoping for another winner.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:08 pm

'Ello, kiddies!

I took in a midafternoon screening of Ant-Man, subtitled Michael Douglas is Awesome, and Throw in Evangeline Lilly, Paul Rudd, an Avenger, CGI, and This Theme Song:

"Warriorrrrrr ants...come out to playyy-eeee-ayyyy!!"

(Sorry. Had to.)

Ant-Man is a pretty cool movie with a bit of an identity crisis. Chunks of Edgar Wright's script are meshed with Paul Rudd's and Adam McKay's revision. It doesn't always work, but it works more often than not. Michael Peña's silly ex-con Luis, who keeps trying to talk Scott Lang (Rudd) into another burglary job based on a shaky tip, generates nearly all of the humor. Some of that humor gets in the way, but they get past it.

Entertaining? Very. It's not an "epic" movie, but there are parts with an "epic-ness" about them, like when Scott shrinks down and interacts with his ant regiments per Hank Pym's tutelage. Ant-Man's shrink-enlarge-shrink (oh, no, I went there) battle tactic looked very cool onscreen. That could have been a huge fail, but it's not. The CG worked well enough, good/great in places, so-so elsewhere. It's effective.

I'd say this movie is definitely better than both the second installments of the Iron Man and Thor extensions of the Marvel umbrella. It's on par with Thor, and not quite up to the level of Iron Man and Captain America, only because it's not as consistent as those two, which I'll get to.

Here there be spoilers...

Michael Douglas...he makes a hell of a Hank Pym. Too bad they didn't make this movie in the 80s (if you see the movie, you'll know exactly what I mean). When you take one of the greatest working actors and put him in something like this, he elevates it beyond the cannon fodder it could turn out to be. Thankfully, this movie is better than that, and Douglas' ability takes it further. OTOH, Evangeline Lilly is cool, but a little dry. I thought her role would be a little more textured.

I liked the Falcon's appearance. It coincides with the first time Ant-Man figures out how to nullify a threat. That's all I'll say.

Okay, negative remarks.

We have yet another freakin' throwaway villain in Darren Cross (played by Corey Stoll, who's actually a good bad guy when you want him to be one). Remember Tony Stark vs. Obadiah Stane? Heeere we go again. Stane/Hammer/Killian. Same exact shit. As we know, thanks to the trailer, Stoll/Cross is the Yellowjacket (the name of Pym's post-Antman moniker in the comics, ironically). And Iron Man 2, where Rhodes suddenly operates an Iron Man suit and even escapes with it when Jarvis should have "disconnected" his ass? We have a variation on that theme here, where Cross dons the Yellowjacket suit and is going toe-to-toe with Lang, who's been in training mode in his suit for weeks. If Cross was already a seasoned operator of the YJ suit, we've no idea. We have to assume he is, because we never see him, nor anyone else, in the suit, apart from drones that are part of a simulation reel. So that was hokey.

Also, there's one moment where things do get a bit hairy for our protagonists. Just one. That's it.

Luis (Peña) gets away with some secret agent moves, though he's an ordinary doofus. On that note, for all of the Cross Technologies building's security, it looked like they forgot to install cameras. :lol:

And the "final battle"...yeesh. It's like they ran out of money.

The film's denouement is meh. Lang makes nice-nice with his ex-wife's fiancée. Hank opens a door to reveal Scott and Hope kissing, which is more forced than the Banner-Romanoff romance in Age of Ultron. Hope is dead-set against Scott being in the suit, when she wants to be the Ant-Gal, but suddenly falls for him after they execute their mission? Okay.

Look, overall, it IS a fun movie. A lot of people like it, but what I don't get is how some people think it's totally amazing. It's not another Batman Begins or Iron Man. It's good, but it could have been better. The first two-thirds of the movie are solid, but, as usual with a Marvel movie, it's the third act where things get shaky.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:10 am

RedWingFan wrote:Waiting for it to start. Getting great #s on RT. 79% critics and 91% audience. Hoping for another winner.

So what did you think?
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:14 am

Ant-Man opened to 58M domestic.

Its production budget's only 130M, plus promotion (they didn't spend as much as they did on other movies), but when you think of the Marvel label, that's a fairly underwhelming opening, especially with an Avenger cameo and following in the wake of AoU. I guess word of mouth for it has been mixed, but most people seem to like it.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby RedWingFan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:43 am

verslibre wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:Waiting for it to start. Getting great #s on RT. 79% critics and 91% audience. Hoping for another winner.

So what did you think?

I liked it. Wasn't Marvel's best, but not the worst either. It did a great job in getting him into the Avengers roster, especially since he was an original Avenger in the comics. The Avengers are going to have to rotate out their heros though with Dr. Strange and Black Panther coming on board. Age of Ultron was congested without these new characters, which I hate to say cause Iron Man and Cap are my favorites.
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 am

:lol:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:38 am

When people are saying Corman's FF movie is better than the new one... :shock:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:03 pm

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:48 am

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:52 am

:lol:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:57 am

A rumor is going around that Fox may have traded the Fantastic Four back to Marvel for the TV rights to the X-Men.

If that is true...then that is excellent news.

That means all of the great villains tied to the FF would be available: Kang, Annihilus, the Skrulls and Galactus, who really needs to be done justice after being turned into a giant fart cloud. Of course, the Silver Surfer is tied, too.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:22 am

Now Sony and Fox have refuted the reports of this happening. It's time to hand this franchise over to Marvel. F4 fans deserve it.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 am

I can't believe they want to give it another go. :roll:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:45 am

verslibre wrote:I can't believe they want to give it another go. :roll:

It's been an absolute bomb in cinema's, but I think F4 is a big enough property never to give up on when it comes to popularity and what the F4 property means to the industry. So many big names and creator's are attached to the F4 franchise with the comics. It deserves all the right TLC to get right, but I think 2020 is too early. Earlier we were talking about taking time to get a franchise right. If Marvel would ever get their hands on it, this would be the one to drag through time to make sure every aspect of the film is dead-on.
YoungJRNYfan
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 am

The funny thing is I can't be less interested in these two new X-Men-related TV series than I already am. Snore.

So much for seeing Galactus (one of the greatest villains ever) depicted as he should be. :|
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:47 am

He thinks Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath suck, but he digs Captain America! :lol:

verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:
verslibre wrote:I can't believe they want to give it another go. :roll:

It's been an absolute bomb in cinema's, but I think F4 is a big enough property never to give up on when it comes to popularity and what the F4 property means to the industry. So many big names and creator's are attached to the F4 franchise with the comics. It deserves all the right TLC to get right, but I think 2020 is too early. Earlier we were talking about taking time to get a franchise right. If Marvel would ever get their hands on it, this would be the one to drag through time to make sure every aspect of the film is dead-on.

The sad thing is, if FOX had kept the Gruffuff, Chicklis and Alba lineup, and just made a kick-ass Fantastic Four 3, it probably would've made bank. Presumably, Evans would be busy with Marvel commitments. I'm not a fan of reboots in general.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 am

I agree. Just render a CG thing with Chik's voice. The new CG Thing looks awesome. That's the ONLY thing I liked about this FF from the trailers.

I thought Gruffudd was a decent Richards. The stretchy FX are still wonky but they can work around it and cuts some corners. If Alba didn't want to return, no doubt many actresses would line up to play Sue Richards.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:39 am

The trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse was released today. Looks like a snoozer.

I'm done with mutants until another director (I hate Singer) steps in or the rights revert to Marvel (which will never happen). I speak only for myself. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvnHv42T-A
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara