Fresh out today. Steve Perry has new music coming!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Fresh out today. Steve Perry has new music coming!

Postby Archetype » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Does anyone have any idea of who the other musicians on the album would be? (Assuming it actually happens)
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Archetype wrote:Does anyone have any idea of who the other musicians on the album would be? (Assuming it actually happens)

I would be all for him using Lincoln Brewster, Moyes Lucas and Paul Taylor again. Sadly, Mike Porcaro recently passed away. In the past, Randy Jackson has said that he was working with Perry on new music. So, he would be a great choice for the Bass player.

Brewster does a fantastic Schon impersonation on guitar. Moyes Lucas has some similarities to Steve Smith on drums.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Archetype wrote:Does anyone have any idea of who the other musicians on the album would be? (Assuming it actually happens)

I would be all for him using Lincoln Brewster, Moyes Lucas and Paul Taylor again. Sadly, Mike Porcaro recently passed away. In the past, Randy Jackson has said that he was working with Perry on new music. So, he would be a great choice for the Bass player.

Brewster does a fantastic Schon impersonation on guitar. Moyes Lucas has some similarities to Steve Smith on drums.

Then again, maybe he's going to step away from the "Journey "sound, and give us a whole new sound. After all, he's had 20 years to come up with something totally original!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Majestic » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:

Totally disagree. Not knocking his playing, but something about Perry/Brewster just doesn't work. Too much...something in the tone I don't like. Strange medicine could have been better with a different guitarist or tone. I didn't care for the strange medicine band or the street talk band, although both albums have good songs and great vocals. If Perry picks musicians for writing and demoing I hope someone has greater control than Perry over who records with him.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:09 am

Majestic wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Totally disagree. Not knocking his playing, but something about Perry/Brewster just doesn't work. Too much...something in the tone I don't like. Strange medicine could have been better with a different guitarist or tone. I didn't care for the strange medicine band or the street talk band, although both albums have good songs and great vocals. If Perry picks musicians for writing and demoing I hope someone has greater control than Perry over who records with him.

My 2 cents:
Anyone having expectations of a rocker album coming from Steve Perry is setting themselves up for disappointment. Perry is not a rocker at heart. His leanings are Motown R&B, but he knows how to fit his voice to many genres of music. He's just an amazing artist that way. Very unique ability. But he's in charge of the musical direction for his album, and with no one to answer to, and no one to push him in a rock direction I find it doubtful he'll go there on his own. Trial by Fire is a good example. Even with Journey, they're mostly ballads with one or two rockers and I'm sure Neal had to push for those.

Perry seems to look for "feel" in his players, and feel is a subjective thing. It's the kind of element that requires a deep listening to key into, and it almost always takes a back seat to surface technique, which stands out immediately.

I think Brewster does do a rock solid Schon impersonation -- when he's playing Journey tunes. When it comes to originating new stuff, he doesn't hit Schon's chemistry zone with Perry. There was something downright depressing about his melody choices (for me), especially in the way he ended his solos. They seemed to trail off on a down note -- but then again, that could have been at Perry's direction. Perry went out of his way to make FTLOSM a melancholy album.

I don't agree about Moyes Lucas sounding at all like Steve Smith. His drumming is solid, but there's nothing unique or characteristic about his playing. It fades into the song. Again, Perry was looking for "feel". One of the things he liked about Steve Smith' is he finds there's "a lot of room in his playing." I have no idea what that means from Perry's perspective, but it's something he hears and keys into and utilizes for his singing. Again, subjective.

I don't believe Perry's album will be a Journey sound-alike attempt like FTLOSM.

He's mentioned in interviews his interest in the new electronic sounds like Imagine Dragons.

I get the feeling the album will have a more contemporary sound, with the exception of a track or two hearkening back to his Journey days, but even then, those tracks would be more in the vein of Trial by Fire than say Escape or Frontiers. At the end of the day, it's going to go someplace deeply emotional for him. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's come up with and how he's utilized his voice to fit a different musical direction.

Again, all my 2 cents...
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:40 am

Needless to say, I don't consider Brewster or Lucas to be in Schon and Smith's league. But on songs like "You Better Wait" "Stand Up (Before It's Too Late)" "Listen To Your Heart" "Somewhere There's Hope" and maybe to a lesser extent the title track, Brewster and Lucas do well with pulling off the Schon and Smith feel on a smaller scale.

I do agree though, that It's highly unlikely that Perry will choose to release a Rocking album. He might throw in one or two kind of Rocking songs? But that's about all I would expect, if even that.

I'm still in the group of people that's skeptical about whether or not he truly will release a new album. I hope that he does! But I'm afraid that I will be disappointed in the direction that he goes musically with the album.

If he (Perry) were to not release a Rocking album, then I'd most like to see him go in a Bluesy direction.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Jubilee » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:10 pm

I make no bones about the fact that I am a Perry LOON, but I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about an impending Perry release. In want to believe it, but...

Anyway, to the extent that maybe, just maybe there might be new music, I have no interest in an album with more than a hand full of "rockers". Perry's nearly 70, and quite frankly, neither he nor Journey for that matter, have ever made a dime on rockers. I've got two words for SMFP: Panty dropper. Let's face it, the (female) fans have been waiting for Perry to apply whatever is left of that rasp to a toe-curling, R&B-laced panty-dropper. So have at it.
"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better". -- Maya Angelou
Jubilee
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Jubilee wrote:Perry's nearly 70, and quite frankly, neither he nor Journey for that matter, have ever made a dime on rockers.

I guess it depends on how hard of Rock we're talking about?" "Separate Ways" "Any Way You Want It" and "Be Good To Yourself" are Rockers in my opinion. Just not heavy Rockers. And Journey have made some good coin off of them.

But I have myself already doubted that Perry could pull off any Rockers at nearly 70 years old, and with the damage that he had sustained to his throat in the past. Hope that I'm wrong, though!
Last edited by Journey/Survivor on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Needless to say, I don't consider Brewster or Lucas to be in Schon and Smith's league. But on songs like "You Better Wait" "Stand Up (Before It's Too Late)" "Listen To Your Heart" "Somewhere There's Hope" and maybe to a lesser extent the title track, Brewster and Lucas do well with pulling off the Schon and Smith feel on a smaller scale.

I do agree though, that It's highly unlikely that Perry will choose to release a Rocking album. He might throw in one or two kind of Rocking songs? But that's about all I would expect, if even that.

I'm still in the group of people that's skeptical about whether or not he truly will release a new album. I hope that he does! But I'm afraid that I will be disappointed in the direction that he goes musically with the album.

If he (Perry) were to not release a Rocking album, then I'd most like to see him go in a Bluesy direction.

I agree the FTLOSM band was going for the Journey sound, and Perry chose Brewster specifically because he played with similar "heart" to Neal. They got there to some extent, but I think we all agree it pales in comparison to Neal, Jon, Smitty and Ross together.

You said something here that got me thinking: The Bluesy direction.

Perry has said he thinks his voice sounds more like Otis Redding than Steve Perry these days. I have to believe Perry will choose a musical direction based on where his current voice fits the best. He may very well surprise us and create an album full of a variety of different genres. Something contemporary, something motown, something bluesy, maybe a Journey-esque ballad, maybe a cover tune, etc.

As to whether or not we'll see the album out, well, time will tell. I'm cautiously optimistic this time, because as others have pointed out, this is the first time he's said he's been in the studio and is almost finished. He did finally get out there and perform and his recent interviews have him sounding proud of what he did with the Eels. Sounds like it was a confidence booster to me.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Jubilee wrote: I've got two words for SMFP: Panty dropper. Let's face it, the (female) fans have been waiting for Perry to apply whatever is left of that rasp to a toe-curling, R&B-laced panty-dropper. So have at it.

He could have fun with this panty-dropper ... invite a lady onto the stage to be serenaded like Phil does here. What a treasure that would be for the lucky gal :shock: :wink: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_XNUMfQyMY
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:52 am

Now you're talking!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:07 am

That's not to say he can't excite the guys too .... [see at 1.40]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYZ9Fuxzq-Q
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:33 am

Jubilee wrote:I make no bones about the fact that I am a Perry LOON, but I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about an impending Perry release. In want to believe it, but...

Anyway, to the extent that maybe, just maybe there might be new music, I have no interest in an album with more than a hand full of "rockers". Perry's nearly 70, and quite frankly, neither he nor Journey for that matter, have ever made a dime on rockers. I've got two words for SMFP: Panty dropper. Let's face it, the (female) fans have been waiting for Perry to apply whatever is left of that rasp to a toe-curling, R&B-laced panty-dropper. So have at it.

:) :oops: :lol: :roll: 8)
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Marabelle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:25 am

That stage is going to be full of clothes and people if things keeps going at this pace until show time that is if there is ever going to be a show time! He still hasn't gotten the music out yet and I know I'm already screaming at the top of my voice and fainting in my chair; so with my screaming, clothes being tossed and women or men on the stage…it's going to be a jam packed stage! But I imagine it's going to be fun!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:59 am

Russ Miller is the drummer I bet. He was involved with the 50 songs Perry had demoed the past few years.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:53 pm

tater1977 wrote:]
Memorex wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:So, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this update? :roll:

http://www.contactmusic.com/steve-perry ... ck_5066514

Time away from the industry has really done him some good. He looks years younger, has a really nice tan - a fine lady. I think everyone should take 20 years off if that's the outcome.

The medical degree isn't too shabby, either!

Man has he kept himself busy eh ... :lol: :shock: :lol:

Did I miss something??? The link above only included a few paragraphs of SP new album news derived from the JBenson b-day show. Where did you guys come up with all these other stuff? :?
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Overactive imagination! The only thing that might be a given is the man is going to release some new music. All this other stuff is just the figment of some very imaginative minds!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 pm

annie89509 wrote:
Memorex wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:So, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this update? :roll:

http://www.contactmusic.com/steve-perry ... ck_5066514

Time away from the industry has really done him some good. He looks years younger, has a really nice tan - a fine lady. I think everyone should take 20 years off if that's the outcome.

Did I miss something??? The link above only included a few paragraphs of SP new album news derived from the JBenson b-day show. Where did you guys come up with all these other stuff? :?[/quote]

Annie ... that article on the website had a pic posted of Dr. steve perry and his wife.
They corrected their mistake and posted a correct pic of SP. :D
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Sorry, that was probably my fault, Annie. I emailed the site to let them know that they had posted pictures of the wrong Steve Perry, and they said they were going to remove them. My bad :oops:
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Man ...after all these years... is it gonna happen?!?

I agree, the extra publicity of new SP solo and Journey embarking on tour only works to their mutual benefit. Who knows, should the album have sustained success, it might enhance the band’s profile with the HOF committee later in the year.

Years ago, the sniping and acrimony between the band and SP, carried on among the fans on messageboards, are real. But, time has healed all wound, everyone has gotten older, mellow. No better example than Herbie H. Someone linked an interview made on Journey story? here on the board. HH looked so mild-mannered and spoke humbly about the band and even SP…. Struck me deeply that he has changed from previous harsh demeanor and stance. I guess, like Neal has said, life is too short to hold onto grudges. Why not make peace while everyone is still alive and kicking.

I think HH wants nothing more than to see Journey get inducted into the HOF. After all, he was the mastermind and started it all …feather on his cap. People can criticize and marginalize all they want, but getting inducted is always going to be looked upon as the ultimate prize in public eyes. Reason… not a one-year award… it’s about lifetime achievement! What could be more proud for true Journey fans to see our guys up on stage together beaming to the crowd. Heck, Herbie might even be right up there with them!
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:25 pm

perryfan61 wrote:Sorry, that was probably my fault, Annie. I emailed the site to let them know that they had posted pictures of the wrong Steve Perry, and they said they were going to remove them. My bad :oops:

Haha ... I didn't know what happened? :D There is a Dr. Steve Perry somewhere???
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:47 pm

annie89509 wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Sorry, that was probably my fault, Annie. I emailed the site to let them know that they had posted pictures of the wrong Steve Perry, and they said they were going to remove them. My bad :oops:

Haha ... I didn't know what happened? :D There is a Dr. Steve Perry somewhere???

mr.JPG
mr.JPG (28.95 KiB) Viewed 9623 times
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby annie89509 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:52 pm

tater1977 wrote:
annie89509 wrote:

mr.JPG

:lol: oops ... wrong guy .... although, the mouth and wide grin has some resemblance....
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:34 am

annie89509 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
annie89509 wrote::

mr.JPG

:lol: oops ... wrong guy .... although, the mouth and wide grin has some resemblance....[/quote]

The nose gave it away... :lol:
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:23 pm

JohnH wrote:Russ Miller is the drummer I bet. He was involved with the 50 songs Perry had demoed the past few years.

Plus one!

Could also be Steve Ferrone. Could be both on different tracks. Begs the question:

Did Perry use one house band for all the songs or did he pull session players for individual tracks? Doubtful he held open auditions for his instrumental section. Will be interesting to see what he went for.

My money is he pulled in players he already had relationships with. Good friends with good vibes in the studio.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm

every pro studio musician in L.A. probably would give their eye teeth to work on a Perry album.. he has no shortage of talent to draw from...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:58 pm

slucero wrote:every pro studio musician in L.A. probably would give their eye teeth to work on a Perry album.. he has no shortage of talent to draw from...

Of that I have no doubt. The question is more about how much effort did he want to put into auditioning those players. Did he go with players he already knew or did he go with the unknown based on demo tapes, recommendations, word of mouth, etc.

All speculation and curiosity of course. (hey, what else are we going to do while we wait for him to release the album, right?) lol...

My point was more about whether or not he's putting together a band that is playing on every track of his album, or if he's changing out players based on the needs of individual tracks. Goes back to what I was saying that it's possible his album will be an eclectic mix of genres. I kind of hope it will be. Loved what he did on "Can't let you go" with the late great Jeff Golub. Coincidentally, it was Steve Ferrone who walked Perry into Golub's session that day, which is how he ended up spontaneously singing on that track.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 pm

~
I hope to hear a bit of Michael Lington on the new album.

How would this situation work? Would the musicians [who have worked on this new album] have had to sign NDA's .... or would it just be gentlemen's agreements not to discuss their work before the new album is released?
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Marabelle » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 am

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I just love how things have fallen into place for Mr Perry no longer the Man who Shall not be Named...I'm sending my very best wishes for a spectacular start and send off into 2016. May the force be with him!
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:30 am

I think I heard him say jokingly to Uncle Joe during the interview that he needed some "low voices", so maybe he's changing things up on every track, accordingly to what he needs.
It's fun to speculate, something to keep us going until the release!
perryfan61
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey