Albums that need remastering...BAD.

General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Albums that need remastering...BAD.

Postby S2M » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 am

Boston's THIRD STAGE...as much as TS is a perfectionist, a la SP - I can't believe he hasn't wrung that release through the Wonka Wash. I refuse to add ANY of those songs onto my Ipod until it's redone....although, you can find 2 remastered songs, Amanda, and Cool the Engines on a compilation album.

What say the masses?

Oh, and btw, 'Nickel and Dime' sounds an awful lot like Xanadu, or vice-versa! :lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Re: Albums that need remastering...BAD.

Postby RPM » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 am

I agree, Third Stage is a great album that needs some love. There was a huge drop off from the first two albums
Regarding the drums, he started experimenting with electronic drums and it just doesn't have the same impact.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 am

Bad English's first album.

I know that I always used to think that Night Ranger's albums from the 80's needed remastering badly. But it's possible that those have since been remastered?

I wish that Rock Candy would get the rights to remaster and reissue Bad English's 2 albums.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am

Dawn Patrol sounds fine to me. Remastering wouldn't necessarily help it. A lot of albums sound worse after "remastering," like Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous. The Vertigo remaster doesn't sound as good as the original Warner Bros. issue. You can't hear the bass and the guitars are too loud.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 pm

verslibre wrote:Dawn Patrol sounds fine to me. Remastering wouldn't necessarily help it. A lot of albums sound worse after "remastering," like Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous. The Vertigo remaster doesn't sound as good as the original Warner Bros. issue. You can't hear the bass and the guitars are too loud.

I guess that my main complaint with the Night Ranger CD's has always been that you have to crank them up extra loud to get any volume out of them.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Bad English's first album.

I know that I always used to think that Night Ranger's albums from the 80's needed remastering badly. But it's possible that those have since been remastered?

I wish that Rock Candy would get the rights to remaster and reissue Bad English's 2 albums.

The first Bad English album is scheduled for the reissue/remaster release from Rock Candy Records on June 30th.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
verslibre wrote:Dawn Patrol sounds fine to me. Remastering wouldn't necessarily help it. A lot of albums sound worse after "remastering," like Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous. The Vertigo remaster doesn't sound as good as the original Warner Bros. issue. You can't hear the bass and the guitars are too loud.

I guess that my main complaint with the Night Ranger CD's has always been that you have to crank them up extra loud to get any volume out of them.

That's my issue with Third Stage. It's low, and 'muffled'. When it used to come up in iTunes you could hear the difference between the previous song, and say, Holly Ann...
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 am

TageRyche wrote:

The first Bad English album is scheduled for the reissue/remaster release from Rock Candy Records on June 30th.

That's great news! Thank you for mentioning it!

Some of the albums that I most wanted Rock Candy to remaster since they had already remastered/released the Survivor, Cobra and Target albums, are the two Bad English, The Storm's first album, and some of the Jimi Jamison solo albums like "When Love Comes Down" and "Empires."

Actually, I should add Neal Schon's "Late Night" solo album to that list.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Some of the albums that I most wanted Rock Candy to remaster since they had already remastered/released the Survivor, Cobra and Target albums, are the two Bad English, The Storm's first album, and some of the Jimi Jamison solo albums like "When Love Comes Down" and "Empires."

Unless there was bonus tracks or something additional, I wouldn't get the Empires disc, which remember was billed as Jimi Jamison's Survivor. But I would grab When Love Comes Down because I don't have that one.

I have the remastered Survivor, Cobra and Target releases though.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 am

TageRyche wrote:

Do you know if there will be any bonus tracks on the Bad English CD from Rock Candy?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
Do you know if there will be any bonus tracks on the Bad English CD from Rock Candy?

According to the minimal info HERE, there are 2 bonus tracks, but no info about what they are (unreleased studio, live, etc.)
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:56 am

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

As for Third Stage, just have that ghoulish Home Depot reject in a Delp Halloween costume re-record it with the fraud that is supposedly Boston.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:01 am

Journey/Survivor,

Here's the press release for the Bad English reissue:

THERE WERE MANY attempts at piecing together supergroups during the late 80s but few were as successful as Bad English, a project born from the mash-up of two hugely influential outfits, namely the Babys (John Waite, Jonathan Cain, Ricky Philips) and Journey (Jonathan Cain, Neal Schon and, later, Deen Costronovo). Both groups had featured talent to die for so anticipation was extremely high for this noble alliance, Fortunately, unlike similar collaborations, the results were spectacular, leaving no one in any doubt that Bad English had delivered a cornerstone record.

Fronted by the stunning and instantly identifiable voice of John Waite, and ably supported by guitar firebrand Neal Schon, the album contains a brace of superior tracks that elevated the record to platinum status and beyond. It boasted no less than five hit singles, including ‘Price Of Love’ and the chart topping #1 power ballad ‘When I See You Smile’. All in all, a scorching example of a style and sound that has not diminished one jot over time. No wonder the album sold Platinum and beyond.

SPECIAL DELUXE COLLECTOR’S EDITION, FULLY REMASTERED AUDIO, 20 PAGE FULL COLOUR BOOKLET, 4,000 WORD ESSAY ABOUT THE MAKING OF THE ALBUM, NEW INTERVIEW AND ENHANCED ARTWORK

TRACK LISTING: 1.BEST OF WHAT I GOT  2.HEAVEN IS A 4 LETTER WORD  3.POSSESSION  4.FORGET ME NOT  5.WHEN I SEE YOU SMILE  6.TOUGH TIMES DON’T LAST  7.GHOST IN YOUR HEART 8.PRICE OF LOVE  9.READY WHEN YOU ARE  10.LAY DOWN 11.THE RESTLESS ONES  12.ROCKIN’ HORSE  13.DON’T WALK AWAY  BONUS TRACKS: 14.PRICE OF LOVE (REMIX)  15.FORGET ME NOT (REMIX)
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby GrandIllusionist725 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 am

I'm wondering if it's an MCA thing. Night Ranger CD's were MCA, Boston's Third Stage was on MCA, sounds about right. If I see that MCA logo on the album, pretty much guaranteed we won't see a remaster. Same goes for Dennis DeYoung's Boomchild.
"I've been instructed to inform you that your privileges have been penalized.
Your avoidance tactics have proven disappointing. Up yours, Roboto!"
GrandIllusionist725
45 RPM

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 am

TageRyche wrote:Journey/Survivor,

THERE WERE MANY attempts at piecing together supergroups during the late 80s but few were as successful as Bad English, a project born from the mash-up of two hugely influential outfits, namely the Babys (John Waite, Jonathan Cain, Ricky Philips) and Journey (Jonathan Cain, Neal Schon and, later, Deen Costronovo). Both groups had featured talent to die for so anticipation was extremely high for this noble alliance, Fortunately, unlike similar collaborations, the results were spectacular, leaving no one in any doubt that Bad English had delivered a cornerstone record.

Fronted by the stunning and instantly identifiable voice of John Waite, and ably supported by guitar firebrand Neal Schon, the album contains a brace of superior tracks that elevated the record to platinum status and beyond. It boasted no less than five hit singles, including ‘Price Of Love’ and the chart topping #1 power ballad ‘When I See You Smile’. All in all, a scorching example of a style and sound that has not diminished one jot over time. No wonder the album sold Platinum and beyond.

SPECIAL DELUXE COLLECTOR’S EDITION, FULLY REMASTERED AUDIO, 20 PAGE FULL COLOUR BOOKLET, 4,000 WORD ESSAY ABOUT THE MAKING OF THE ALBUM, NEW INTERVIEW AND ENHANCED ARTWORK

TRACK LISTING: 1.BEST OF WHAT I GOT  2.HEAVEN IS A 4 LETTER WORD  3.POSSESSION  4.FORGET ME NOT  5.WHEN I SEE YOU SMILE  6.TOUGH TIMES DON’T LAST  7.GHOST IN YOUR HEART 8.PRICE OF LOVE  9.READY WHEN YOU ARE  10.LAY DOWN 11.THE RESTLESS ONES  12.ROCKIN’ HORSE  13.DON’T WALK AWAY  BONUS TRACKS: 14.PRICE OF LOVE (REMIX)  15.FORGET ME NOT (REMIX)

Thank you, TageRyche!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:43 am

I'm disappointed that that is all the bonus tracks are. (On the Bad English CD) I had hoped for previously unreleased tracks.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:53 am

The Price of Love remix came out years ago on a double disk hits CD,. Had the remix and the regular version. And yes a double CD....
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:13 pm

Abitaman wrote:

The Price of Love remix came out years ago on a double disk hits CD,. Had the remix and the regular version. And yes a double CD....

I have that 2 disc Greatest Hits CD package too. I bought it for the POL remix. I never thought that the remix sounded that different. I think that I may also have the FMN remix on a 45 or something like that?

If they couldn't get unreleased tracks, then they should have also tacked on some live recordings of Bad English, like they did with Target on the Target CDs.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 am

I'm disappointed as well.

To be honest, since the bonus tracks aren't anything special, I've held off on ordering the CD.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 am

I have never liked the drum sound on any Boston album since Don't Look back. Still think 3rd Stage is a better sound cd than their second one, both production and song wise.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:07 am

Would like to see both Storm Cds, redone along with Styx Edge of Century.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:20 pm

All the Survivor cds too could be freshened up.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 am

Abitaman wrote:All the Survivor cds too could be freshened up.

Do you have the Survivor remasters from Rock Candy? They sound great!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:

No, did they do all the CDs?
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:32 am

Abitaman wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

No, did they do all the CDs?

Yes, with the exception of "Reach."

First they released remastered versions of "Survivor" "Premonition" "Caught In The Game" "Vital Signs" "When Seconds Count" and "Too Hot To Sleep."
And then a few years later they released a remastered version of "Eye Of The Tiger."
The Rock Candy remasters sound great, plus they have 16 page booklets inside with interviews with Jim Peterik about each album.

Rock Candy did the same thing with the "Cobra" and "Target" CD's. Remastered with booklets.

If you can afford them, it's well worth buying those Rock Candy remasters.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JohnH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm

David Lee Roth Eat Em and Smile. It's the worst Mastered CD I own. Robert Cray Strong Persuader out the same year has little volume and needs it too.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby ScarabGator » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:54 am

The Storm
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 am

ScarabGator wrote:The Storm

I'm hoping that Rock Candy will at least remaster the first Storm album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 am

The first CD, the recording level is real low compared to the second one. I also like to production better on the second one has more of a journey feel to it
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby kgdjpubs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:39 am

the Bob Catley "Spirit of Man" album should be pretty near the top of the list. One of the worst sounding albums I've ever heard from a well-known singer of a relatively popular band (Magnum--who had some decent success in the UK/Europe, but never broke the US).
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara