Journey Through Time Should Hire Kevin

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Through Time Should Hire Kevin

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 am

It is obvious that the future of Journey will be from "Journey Through Time".
Neal has expressed his intentions to record with the band and to tour.
In order to save Deen's voice, they should add another vocalist.
With Rolie there, it is only fitting that his Storm-bandmate, Kevin Chalfant, finally get a chance to sit in the Perry throne.
Thoughts?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Re: Journey Through Time Should Hire Kevin

Postby scarab » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:17 am

posted this before, not sure who Chalfant was gettings Journeys back, Rolie, Schon, or Herbie in the mid 90's but he would have been my #1 pick to "replace" Perry in 98. Not sure if he even was considered after being swept aside after Perry's return for TBF (though I am really glad that TBF happened and the songs). This song is what Journey would have sounded like with Rolie/Cain/Schon/Smith/Valory and it is awesome. The Journey song that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ruoiGD7ADo

yeah and I hope he does a few songs in Through Time. Sucks that Waite wasnt there for the first go around.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby steveo777 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:It is obvious that the future of Journey will be from "Journey Through Time".
With Rolie there, it is only fitting that his Storm-bandmate, Kevin Chalfant, finally get a chance to sit in the Perry throne.
Thoughts?

As much as I agree and love the potential lineup here, reality speaks differently to me. I don't see it as "the future of Journey" at all. This will always be a side project and could never equal the amount of success Journey is still having. I don't see Journey Through Time having the kind of success touring, as Journey already has and will continue to. Ask yourself this: Will casual fans recognize the name, Journey Though Time, or will they just know the name, Journey?
steveo777
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:15 pm

steveo777 wrote:As much as I agree and love the potential lineup here, reality speaks differently to me. I don't see it as "the future of Journey" at all. This will always be a side project and could never equal the amount of success Journey is still having. I don't see Journey Through Time having the kind of success touring, as Journey already has and will continue to. Ask yourself this: Will casual fans recognize the name, Journey Though Time, or will they just know the name, Journey?

You keep equating the word "future" with "success." No, I don't think JTT would have the same touring success as the Arnel lineup. At the same time, I'm not convinced that lineup is really going to continue on much longer.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 am

I sure hope JTT does a tour. I really would love to see them, But its sounds like Neal already has a couple of side gigs after the Journey tour.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:54 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:It is obvious that the future of Journey will be from "Journey Through Time".
Thoughts?

Neal says a lot of things about what he plans to do, but he's largely out of touch with the real world. The JTT lineup will not sell tickets and therefore Azoff & co. will never stand for it. With the current line-up playing the biggest venues they've ever played since Perry, I don't know why there are so many people on this forum predicting its demise.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:38 am

FamilyMan wrote:Neal says a lot of things about what he plans to do, but he's largely out of touch with the real world. The JTT lineup will not sell tickets and therefore Azoff & co. will never stand for it.

While I largely agree that Neal is dissociated from reality, Deen Castronovo makes it sound like the JTT tour is already locked down.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:36 am

Journey Through Time should consider doing a CD like the re-united Santana CD of a few years back. Have 15 tracks with Neal doing some instrumental solos in between songs and make it a jam album. Also, they could have Kevin sing lead vocals on a couple songs. Rolie could have lead vocals on a few songs, and Deen is lead on the rest. If the CD has the energy of the Santana CD, it would give them a springboard to a great tour.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I think Kevin or Hugo either one could add tons of value. Deen is really good on his own as well. It's a tough call between Kevin and Hugo. I'd go with Hugo due to his demonstrated catalog.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Aaron wrote:I think Kevin or Hugo either one could add tons of value. Deen is really good on his own as well. It's a tough call between Kevin and Hugo. I'd go with Hugo due to his demonstrated catalog.

Kevin's the better singer. Hugo's voice is as thin as a reed.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby kgdjpubs » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:19 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Aaron wrote:I think Kevin or Hugo either one could add tons of value. Deen is really good on his own as well. It's a tough call between Kevin and Hugo. I'd go with Hugo due to his demonstrated catalog.

Kevin's the better singer. Hugo's voice is as thin as a reed.

Hugo's voice sounded REALLY thin on anything post-Departure even 10 years ago. Sure, he's got the range but I'd hate to think what he sounds like now on the later Perry material. Chalfant seems to have lost some range in the last ten years as well--understandable with his age. Unless you want to bring in someone new, Deen is probably the best singer for that material and he's already in the band.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:27 am

kgdjpubs wrote: Unless you want to bring in someone new, Deen is probably the best singer for that material and he's already in the band.

Compared to what Deen sounded like in 2004 (when he first started singing lead in Journey) he has lost some high end as well.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 am

I have always been a Kevin Chalfant fan, and still am. He hasn't done much lately, and would like to see him something like this. From the time Perry first left after ROR, i was ready to see Kevin take over, even today. Never knew why it never happened.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby kgdjpubs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:36 am

Abitaman wrote:I have always been a Kevin Chalfant fan, and still am. He hasn't done much lately, and would like to see him something like this. From the time Perry first left after ROR, i was ready to see Kevin take over, even today. Never knew why it never happened.

well, you have to take in account that has was in the band once and was thrown out for Perry's return. That could easily give some hard feelings, especially around 1998 when Perry left again. These things are rarely as they seem to be from the outside looking in.
kgdjpubs
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:48 am

kgdjpubs wrote:
well, you have to take in account that has was in the band once and was thrown out for Perry's return. That could easily give some hard feelings, especially around 1998 when Perry left again. These things are rarely as they seem to be from the outside looking in.

If by "hard feelings" you mean Kevin, he has stated on record that he would take the job in a heartbeat. If anything Schon/Cain are intimidated by Kevin.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tj » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:49 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
kgdjpubs wrote:

If by "hard feelings" you mean Kevin, he has stated on record that he would take the job in a heartbeat. If anything Schon/Cain are intimidated by Kevin.

At this point, I doubt that they are intimidated by Kevin or anyone else for that matter. They have managed what very few bands ever do: got a second chance and made it work. Granted, it's not at the level of the first time. But bringing in tens of millions of $ in concert revenue each year, with a lead singer who spoke little English and you picked up from YouTube is a pretty good second run. There's not much at this stage that they haven't seen or done which would cause them to be intimidated by anyone else in the business. IMO :D
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:20 pm

tj wrote:At this point, I doubt that they are intimidated by Kevin or anyone else for that matter. They have managed what very few bands ever do: got a second chance and made it work. Granted, it's not at the level of the first time. But bringing in tens of millions of $ in concert revenue each year, with a lead singer who spoke little English and you picked up from YouTube is a pretty good second run. There's not much at this stage that they haven't seen or done which would cause them to be intimidated by anyone else in the business. IMO :D

You are confusing success with what I'm talking about. They fired Soto and wouldn't hire Chalfant - despite Herbie's insistence to do so. As I said, they seem to be intimidated by strong minded singers who can write, produce, etc.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:18 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tj wrote:At this point, I doubt that they are intimidated by Kevin or anyone else for that matter. They have managed what very few bands ever do: got a second chance and made it work. Granted, it's not at the level of the first time. But bringing in tens of millions of $ in concert revenue each year, with a lead singer who spoke little English and you picked up from YouTube is a pretty good second run. There's not much at this stage that they haven't seen or done which would cause them to be intimidated by anyone else in the business. IMO :D

You are confusing success with what I'm talking about. They fired Soto and wouldn't hire Chalfant - despite Herbie's insistence to do so. As I said, they seem to be intimidated by strong minded singers who can write, produce, etc.

Neal wants no competition for being "the boss". Anyone else with a strong personality who wants to have a say would be kicked to the curb....which is why Arnel is lasting so long.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tj » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I get it, I just don't think that they are intimidated by anyone. They don't want the hassle of having someone trying to tell them what to do or pushing back on their ideas. They have more than earned the right to have it that way.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Jeremey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:35 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

From my recollection on the discussion at the time, there was no concern about Chalfant's strong willed personality. It had more to do with his physical appearance and performance on his "Fly 2 Freedom" CD that was still pretty recent.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:29 pm

"had more to do with his physical appearance"......

Because he looked too much like SP?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Jeremey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 pm

perryfan61 wrote:"had more to do with his physical appearance"......

No. Because he was old and out of shape, according to Neal Schon. And because Jon Cain was bewildered and unimpressed by Fly 2 Freedom. This was just what was told to me... I am only mentioning it lest the idea perpetuates that Cain & Schon were intimidated by Chalfant's strong songwriting and singing chops, which by all counts would be assets and not liabilities to any band.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:01 pm

Jeremey wrote:

No. Because he was old and out of shape, according to Neal Schon. And because Jon Cain was bewildered and unimpressed by Fly 2 Freedom. This was just what was told to me... I am only mentioning it lest the idea perpetuates that Cain & Schon were intimidated by Chalfant's strong songwriting and singing chops, which by all counts would be assets and not liabilities to any band.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Jeremey » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
Jeremey wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Take it with a grain of salt. The guys in Journey say a lot of things, LOL. They just didn't seem very intimidated.
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Jeremey wrote:No. Because he was old and out of shape, according to Neal Schon. And because Jon Cain was bewildered and unimpressed by Fly 2 Freedom. This was just what was told to me... I am only mentioning it lest the idea perpetuates that Cain & Schon were intimidated by Chalfant's strong songwriting and singing chops, which by all counts would be assets and not liabilities to any band.

Welcome back Jeremey.
Cain and Schon have obfuscated or straight-up lied about so many things - including your own brief time in the band - so I wouldn't expect anything less from them.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:33 pm

tj wrote:They have more than earned the right to have it that way.

Not sure about that. Their greatest period of creative success was when they had someone - Herbie or Perry - directing them.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:51 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
kgdjpubs wrote:

Which would be ridiculous. Kevin is exactly what they need in regards to vocals and more importantly, songwriting.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Gideon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 am

Listened to a recent interview with Chalfant, who said he’s about 7-8 years Rolie’s jr. Confirmation Kevin’s well into his 60s. There’s no way he could take this catalog.

That said, as great as Arnel is and indeed he is awesome, Chalfant is the closest to Perry I’ve ever heard.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Gideon wrote:Listened to a recent interview with Chalfant, who said he’s about 7-8 years Rolie’s jr. Confirmation Kevin’s well into his 60s. There’s no way he could take this catalog.

Kevin is already doing this catalog with his own Journey cover band. Also, Journey Through Time would not tour as relentlessly as the Arnel-lineup does.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:07 am

Journey Through Time with Steve Perry would be the greatest thing ever, but I know it won't happen because as I understand it Perry is getting paid to stay home. Why would anybody write new music and tour when they are being paid the same to stay home?
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey