Traces

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Traces

Postby annie89509 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:53 pm

yes, some strong instrumental riffs would have elevated the song.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:20 pm

annie89509 wrote:I so much want to love every song he does, especially now, which is really for us, because he has nothing to prove. But this new song, No More Cryin', doesn't do anything for me. No Erasin' has lots of hooks, this song doesn't. I agree with Ehmatt ... it's slow, meandering ... sorry.

The song sounds like Perry riffing on lyrical/melody ideas in his home studio. Then studio musicians played on it. That said, it is still 99% better than what passes for music these days. Both singles definitely have a slightly stripped down and raw sound to them. I dig it.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby verslibre » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 am

annie89509 wrote:I so much want to love every song he does, especially now, which is really for us, because he has nothing to prove. But this new song, No More Cryin', doesn't do anything for me. No Erasin' has lots of hooks, this song doesn't. I agree with Ehmatt ... it's slow, meandering ... sorry.

It's not just you. I know a crazy Perry fan (she'd be on this forum but she's kind of Net-lame), and I just barely heard from her. She doesn't like the new songs, and she even remarked negatively about his voice. I was shocked because I thought she'd be ecstatic like every other Perry-starved fanboy/girl here who thinks anything the guy does is worth its weight in platinum. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby slucero » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 am

verslibre wrote:

It's not just you. I know a crazy Perry fan (she'd be on this forum but she's kind of Net-lame), and I just barely heard from her. She doesn't like the new songs, and she even remarked negatively about his voice. I was shocked because I thought she'd be ecstatic like every other Perry-starved fanboy/girl here who thinks anything the guy does is worth its weight in platinum. :lol:

Most people likely want the Perry they remember from their youth....

I just appreciate the man finding his way back to the thing God gave him the immense talent to do.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 am

Its cool how people have different like for Perry songs. I really like No More Cryin', but only if I listen to it on good headphones from a download. On you tube its an okay song and the video distracts from it.
4-5 songs from Strange Medicine are less than average which to me are only listenable to hear Perry's voice.
Dont get me started on Friends of Mine and Cant Stop.

Same thing with 3-4 songs from his unreleased album.
His debut however took many many repeated listens to like in full, at that age I wanted that awesome Frontiers sound.
Now I love it along with the non album songs If Only for the Moment and Dont tell me why youre leaving.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 am

slucero wrote:
verslibre wrote:

Most people likely want the Perry they remember from their youth....

I just appreciate the man finding his way back to the thing God gave him the immense talent to do.

I agree and share the sentiment.

On the one hand, I'm honestly and profoundly delighted that SP is back and putting out new material. A lot of people are impressed and overjoyed. Not only would I pay $$$ to see him live solo, I've even walked back on my long-held stance that he shouldn't go back to Journey. I'm now on the "reunion tour" bandwagon.

That said... I have to call a spade a spade. I'm not the sort've person who will give anyone - even SP - a rave review if I think the material doesn't justify it. And as far as I'm concerned, it honestly doesn't. The new songs have some good qualities to them: SP sounds good, the choruses are reasonably strong, the mix is crisp.

But I were to compare this to Journey's Eclipse, for example, I don't think anything we've heard so far from SP can compete musically.

So SP's return has done two things for me: Pleasantly surprised me how much I genuinely admire this man (given that I've been an unapologetic critic) while also renewing my deep appreciation for what Schon and Cain brought to the table.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby shaneslatts » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:53 am

I might be a Loon, but I'm a critical one.
So, my honest opinion is these two songs are amazing.
Amazing that they fit Perry at nearly 70. and they fit me as well.
I wouldn't want a 25 or 30 year old sounding Steve Perry at this point, his raspyness fits him...In fact, he controls the rasp in his voice, and, along with his tone and arrangement, uses it to his advantage.
These first new songs are amazing, in my opinion.
shaneslatts
Ol' 78

Postby Greg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 am

I think if one compares this album to Journey stuff, they will be disappointed. This album isn't going to be anything like Journey has ever put out, nor like what Perry has put out, solo, in the past. It's probably going to be an eclectic collection of musical styles - all kind of serving as a back drop to his voice. In another words, I don't think anybody is going to be talking about the guitar riff or piano passage in any of these songs - the music itself will probably be mostly forgettable. What will stand out will be Perry's voice, and I think that's what was intended.

Having said that, I think the two singles are still fantastic - I listen to them a few times each day. I still say, listen to these songs some other way than the video. The video is a distraction and for some reason, the songs just sound so much better through itunes.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 am

Lord knows perryfans run the gamut from loons to the normal. People who don’t like the new songs citing his diminished vocal capacity are stuck in the past. And then, some are just more partial to Journey-like songs, so now are disappointed these didn’t follow that blueprint (although the more I listen to No Erasin’, that Journey feel (or sound) is there).

The videos are a distraction, I agree with previous poster, and making your minds about the songs from You Tube doesn’t do SP and the songs justice.

I found this link from another thread:

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/no-mo ... 79863&l=en

The songs sounded so much better in there … like night and day.
I am now onboard and can’t wait to hear more.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:21 pm

annie89509 wrote:Lord knows perryfans run the gamut from loons to the normal. People who don’t like the new songs citing his diminished vocal capacity are stuck in the past. And then, some are just more partial to Journey-like songs, so now are disappointed these didn’t follow that blueprint (although the more I listen to No Erasin’, that Journey feel (or sound) is there).

The videos are a distraction, I agree with previous poster, and making your minds about the songs from You Tube doesn’t do SP and the songs justice.

It's likely that the Itunes uploads that one hears to are "Apple Lossless".... which means the audio quality is still the same as the original source.

the MP3 format literally strips away audio to make the file size smaller, and uses a codec (an algorithm) to literally reconstruct what has been removed. The problem is that the lower the MP3 resolution (128 vs. 320)... the less audio is reconstructed by the codec.

This image will give you a visual representation of the file size difference - left to right = original source to compressed

literally the larger the file the better the audio fidelity.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:17 am

slucero wrote:
annie89509 wrote:Lord knows perryfans run the gamut from loons to the normal. People who don’t like the new songs citing his diminished vocal capacity are stuck in the past. And then, some are just more partial to Journey-like songs, so now are disappointed these didn’t follow that blueprint (although the more I listen to No Erasin’, that Journey feel (or sound) is there).

It's likely that the Itunes uploads that one hears to are "Apple Lossless".... which means the audio quality is still the same as the original source.

the MP3 format literally strips away audio to make the file size smaller, and uses a codec (an algorithm) to literally reconstruct what has been removed. The problem is that the lower the MP3 resolution (128 vs. 320)... the less audio is reconstructed by the codec.

This image will give you a visual representation of the file size difference - left to right = original source to compressed

I've also noticed that by default, the Perry videos were placed at 420p. But still, I feel like videos can change the perception of a song. For instance, I remember people talking about how cheesy Journey music was around the time of Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - the video was awful cheesy. But, you listen to the song itself, and it's one of the best songs Journey has ever put out. Very dark, melodic, hard hitting song by the band - and of course a song that everybody goes crazy for (besides Don't Stop Believing.) I'm not the first to say that the very first viewing of Perry's music video, I was like, "Yeah, he sounds rusty." And then when I listened to the song after purchasing from iTunes, it just sounded different. His voice sounded more closer to mid 90's to me, with a slight more rasp. I want to hear that John 5 song to really get a feel of what I think Steve could cover if he decides to do a small tour. I don't think he will tour, but if he did, he knows he would be expected to cover some earlier Journey material.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby portland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:24 am

Gideon wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Steve Perry,
Bravo! Don't listen to the naysayers. I am happy you are back with a new album. It is going to be awesome regardless of what anybody says..

Lol what naysayers?

I wonder who??!!....Hi Giddy :lol:

Pretty exciting to hear something new from the voice.
What's left After You Fall?.....A Cover Band?
portland
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 am

The naysayers are the ones who say the new Steve Perry songs are horrible. I wish these people would keep their opinions to themselves. They are the reason Steve Perry took such a long time releasing new material. I want Steve Perry to release as much new material as possible from here on out. I am trying to get a frightened little animal to come to me. i don't need people yelling negative stuff and scaring the little animal away.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 am

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers are the ones who say the new Steve Perry songs are horrible. I wish these people would keep their opinions to themselves. They are the reason Steve Perry took such a long time releasing new material. I want Steve Perry to release as much new material as possible from here on out. I am trying to get a frightened little animal to come to me. i don't need people yelling negative stuff and scaring the little animal away.

Sounds like you're projecting. :lol:
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Gideon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 am

Hey Portland!

JourneyHard wrote:The naysayers are the ones who say the new Steve Perry songs are horrible. I wish these people would keep their opinions to themselves. They are the reason Steve Perry took such a long time releasing new material. I want Steve Perry to release as much new material as possible from here on out. I am trying to get a frightened little animal to come to me. i don't need people yelling negative stuff and scaring the little animal away.

Yeah, odds are good that if you don’t hate me now, you might at the end of all this. :lol:
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby portland » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 am

Gideon wrote:Hey Portland!

Yeah, odds are good that if you don’t hate me now, you might at the end of all this. :lol:

Hate is such a strong word. :lol:
What's left After You Fall?.....A Cover Band?
portland
Compact Disc

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 am

Greg wrote:
slucero wrote:

I've also noticed that by default, the Perry videos were placed at 420p. But still, I feel like videos can change the perception of a song. For instance, I remember people talking about how cheesy Journey music was around the time of Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - the video was awful cheesy. But, you listen to the song itself, and it's one of the best songs Journey has ever put out. Very dark, melodic, hard hitting song by the band - and of course a song that everybody goes crazy for (besides Don't Stop Believing.) I'm not the first to say that the very first viewing of Perry's music video, I was like, "Yeah, he sounds rusty." And then when I listened to the song after purchasing from iTunes, it just sounded different. His voice sounded more closer to mid 90's to me, with a slight more rasp. I want to hear that John 5 song to really get a feel of what I think Steve could cover if he decides to do a small tour. I don't think he will tour, but if he did, he knows he would be expected to cover some earlier Journey material.

The resolution of the video just means that the video was compiled at that resolution. The source audio used when compiling could literally be a copy (or the original) of the Pro Tools file from the studio.

Perry is lip syncing to a playback when they record the video portion... and because its all digital (audio and video), its easy to re-align the audio so it seamlessly lines up with the lip syncing. It can be adjusted down to a single frame of video.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 pm

slucero wrote:

I've also noticed that by default, the Perry videos were placed at 420p. But still, I feel like videos can change the perception of a song. For instance, I remember people talking about how cheesy Journey music was around the time of Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - the video was awful cheesy. But, you listen to the song itself, and it's one of the best songs Journey has ever put out. Very dark, melodic, hard hitting song by the band - and of course a song that everybody goes crazy for (besides Don't Stop Believing.) I'm not the first to say that the very first viewing of Perry's music video, I was like, "Yeah, he sounds rusty." And then when I listened to the song after purchasing from iTunes, it just sounded different. His voice sounded more closer to mid 90's to me, with a slight more rasp. I want to hear that John 5 song to really get a feel of what I think Steve could cover if he decides to do a small tour. I don't think he will tour, but if he did, he knows he would be expected to cover some earlier Journey material.[/quote]

The resolution of the video just means that the video was compiled at that resolution. The source audio used when compiling could literally be a copy (or the original) of the Pro Tools file from the studio.

Perry is lip syncing to a playback when they record the video portion... and because its all digital (audio and video), its easy to re-align the audio so it seamlessly lines up with the lip syncing. It can be adjusted down to a single frame of video.[/quote]

I know about all the technical stuff, but it's a mind thing when you're watching a music video as opposed to listening to an audio track. Now, closing my eyes and concentrating on the music did seem to help my wife. When you're watching the music video, you're paying attention to a lot more than the song. You're looking at the musicians, the set, how Perry is "dancing", the tubby bass player, etc...
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 am

Naysayers have nothing to do with why Perry wasn't working. He was simply retired. Only a promise to his lady friend brought him back.
There are few naysayers, if the comments most places like FB and Youtube are any indication. They are overwhelmingly positive.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby slucero » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Greg wrote:
I know about all the technical stuff, but it's a mind thing when you're watching a music video as opposed to listening to an audio track. Now, closing my eyes and concentrating on the music did seem to help my wife. When you're watching the music video, you're paying attention to a lot more than the song. You're looking at the musicians, the set, how Perry is "dancing", the tubby bass player, etc...

Videos are misleading... that is very true..

Don't forget that audio mixes for vIdeo are often times also different than audio mixes for retail, simply because of the compression codecs employed by the different sites (YouTube vs. Itunes vs Spotify) Each literally requires a different mastering. Apple even put out a pamphlet called "mixing and mastering for iTunes".

Many times the players in the videos aren't even the players on the song (or the album). As an example, with the exception of David Coverdale... Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again", and "Still Of The Night" videos featured musicians who hadn't played one note the album.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:51 am

slucero wrote:
Greg wrote:

Videos are misleading... that is very true..

Don't forget that audio mixes for vIdeo are often times also different than audio mixes for retail, simply because of the compression codecs employed by the different sites (YouTube vs. Itunes vs Spotify) Each literally requires a different mastering. Apple even put out a pamphlet called "mixing and mastering for iTunes".

Many times the players in the videos aren't even the players on the song (or the album). As an example, with the exception of David Coverdale... Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again", and "Still Of The Night" videos featured musicians who hadn't played one note the album.

Also, in a lot of those 1980's videos, they incorporated different mixes of the music, as well as "background" sounds from the video itself. One video that stands out is Richard Marx's "Should've Known Better" video. The song had a different sound to it than what was on the album - with a slight little guitar riff during the musical interlude that wasn't on the album version. And of course, speaking of Whitesnake, their video to "Give Me All Your Love" had a different mix than what was on the album (although the radio played the video version of the song.)
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby slucero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:13 am

Greg wrote:
Also, in a lot of those 1980's videos, they incorporated different mixes of the music, as well as "background" sounds from the video itself. One video that stands out is Richard Marx's "Should've Known Better" video. The song had a different sound to it than what was on the album - with a slight little guitar riff during the musical interlude that wasn't on the album version. And of course, speaking of Whitesnake, their video to "Give Me All Your Love" had a different mix than what was on the album (although the radio played the video version of the song.)

Yup.. videos are selling vehicles themselves these days.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:08 am

They are doing a countdown to the album release date and putting short clips of a different song up each day. Here is the clip of George Harrison's "I Need You": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1045080772472958976

And the clip of "We Fly": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1044634429321367552
Lora
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:42 am

Lora wrote:They are doing a countdown to the album release date and putting short clips of a different song up each day. Here is the clip of George Harrison's "I Need You": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1045080772472958976

And the clip of "We Fly": https://twitter.com/StevePerryMusic/status/1044634429321367552

:D :D :D
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby Greg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 am

Sun Shines Gray sounds fantastic!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:45 pm

I really liked the George Harrison song .. I Need You ... dang wish we got to hear more
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 am

I just got the whole thing in the mail..... woohoo...

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby steveo777 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am

slucero wrote:I just got the whole thing in the mail..... woohoo...

How? This is before release date.
steveo777
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 am

steveo777 wrote:
slucero wrote:I just got the whole thing in the mail..... woohoo...

How? This is before release date.

Mine was delivered today too
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Moonglow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Received mine yesterday, as well.
Moonglow
Ol' 78

PreviousNext

Return to Journey