Arnel Pineda Biopic

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Arnel Pineda Biopic

Postby ScarabFan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am

https://deadline.com/2018/12/journey-ar ... 202514573/

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is re-teaming with its Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M. Chu to chronicle the journey of Arnel Pineda, a Filipino singer rescued from obscurity by a YouTube video that led him to become the lead singer of the iconic ’80s arena rock band Journey. Discovered on YouTube by Journey co-founder Neal Schon, who’d finally found the rare singer able to reliably replicate the soaring vocals of exited original lead singer Steve Perry, Pineda revived Journey and put the band back in stadiums once again. Temple Hill’s Marty Bowen will produce, and the search for a writer is underway.

The studio is negotiating to license the original Journey tunes, most written by Perry and Schon, and Warner Bros has acquired rights to Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey. That was the 2012 documentary that chronicled Pineda’s impossible rise. Chu’s vision is to make an empowering movie that follows the real life rock ‘n’ roll fairy tale of a formerly homeless Filipino singer to overnight rock star.

“The success of Crazy Rich Asians has blown my mind and set me on a path to champion more unique inspirational stories that represent new perspectives from all around the world,” Chu said in a statement to Deadline. “This story in particular has been on my mind since I first read about it years ago. A true fairy tale and triumph of the human spirit. An unlikely hero, an undeniable talent, the power of music and a worldwide stage (literally) has all the ingredients I love about movies. Plus I have been a fan of Journey’s music since I can remember. I am excited to be bringing the audience along on this incredible story with my partners at Warner Bros who have been a leading champion of diverse voices in front and behind the camera.”

This comes on the heels of the out-sized success of the Freddie Mercury and Queen film Bohemian Rhapsody, a crowd pleasing biopic that has grossed over $540 million and put Rami Malek in the Best Actor conversation. Paramount just wrapped Rocketman, a film about the formative years of Elton John, with Dexter Fletcher directing (he completed Bohemian Rhapsody after Fox parted company with helmer Bryan Singer). Warner Bros previously touched on similar turf with the 2001 film Rock Star, with Mark Wahlberg in a fictional storyline that was based on Tim “Ripper” Owens. He went from fronting a Judas Priest tribute band to replacing the band’s lead singer Rob Halford.

Pineda’s tale is more astounding and this film will tell his true story, one that has ambitions to be something like Slumdog Millionaire. Pineda began singing at 15 at a Shakey’s Pizza Parlor in Manila and came close several times to breaking through. But he was as down on his luck as was the singer-less Journey his cover tunes of bands like Led Zeppelin and Journey were posted on YouTube and caught the attention of Schon. Schon could not get Perry to return and was ready to give up when he stumbled across Pineda and was gobsmacked. As for Perry, after a long sabbatical he recently released a new album and took the stage with Pineda, Schon and the rest of the band when Journey was inducted in the Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame. The band’s popularity continues, with its signature Don’t Stop Believin’ the soundtrack of the closing scene of The Sopranos.

The project will be overseen for the studio by Kevin McCormick.

Chu is repped by UTA, managers Allen Fischer and Brian Dobbins at Artists First, and attorney Allison Binder.
ScarabFan
Ol' 78

Re: Arnel Pineda Biopic

Postby steveo777 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Here we go...Part Deux. :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby Sighlence » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:36 pm

ScarabFan wrote:https://deadline.com/2018/12/journey-arnel-pineda-movie-jon-m-chu-warner-bros-movie-crazy-rich-asians-steve-perry-1202514573/

As for Perry, after a long sabbatical he recently released a new album and took the stage with Pineda, Schon and the rest of the band when Journey was inducted in the Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame.

Yeah, that never happened.
Sighlence
Ol' 78

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 pm

I wonder if SP will sign off on Warner licensing the original Journey tunes. :?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 am

We used to do Journey-lookalike threads on this forum. We would choose actors who could play Schon, Perry, and Cain in a movie someday. Looks like they will be portrayed on the big screen after all.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 am

perryfan61 wrote:I wonder if SP will sign off on Warner licensing the original Journey tunes. :?

This is pretty much a no-brainer. Look at Queen... their catalog sales are through the roof thanks to the movie. TV commercials are using their tracks. One thing Perry has always been savvy about is the money. I'm sure it's just a matter of how much.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:I wonder if SP will sign off on Warner licensing the original Journey tunes. :?

This is pretty much a no-brainer. Look at Queen... their catalog sales are through the roof thanks to the movie. TV commercials are using their tracks. One thing Perry has always been savvy about is the money. I'm sure it's just a matter of how much.

True. I was just wondering because it's a movie about Arnel as the front man. Might be a little hard to take, but SP is, as you say, pretty savvy about money.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Gideon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:19 am

Lmfao Neal retweeted a post from a fan who says Neal should direct this movie because it's his story too. :lol:
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:22 am

Gideon wrote:Lmfao Neal retweeted a post from a fan who says Neal should direct this movie because it's his story too. :lol:

I saw that too and couldn't quit laughing.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 am

Arnel Pineda @arnelpineda

#CrazyRichAsiansDirector meets #CrazyLittleAsian @jonmchu @yulsession @wwexposure #HollywoodIsInNewYork
what a very very wonderful meeting we had @jonmchu & #ScottSilver ..thank you so much for the very delicious brunch ..

8.JPG
8.JPG (30.75 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 am

Perry gave Arnel great props at the HOF (and rightfully so) but when did they share a stage together?
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey