General Intelligent Discussion & One Thread About That Buttknuckle

Moderator: Andrew

Re: The Cassette Chronicles

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 am

I prefer this album to the debut. Particularly Neal's work.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:32 am

Memorex wrote:

I prefer this album to the debut. Particularly Neal's work.

Thanks for checking out my piece!
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:18 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 am

The album that gave metal a much-needed shot in the arm in the late '80s. O:M bridged the gap between Rush and Maiden just like Fates Warning did with No Exit, but with a much higher profile. Thankfully, O:M kept QR from veering into early retirement, too.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 am

verslibre wrote:

The album that gave metal a much-needed shot in the arm in the late '80s. O:M bridged the gap between Rush and Maiden just like Fates Warning did with No Exit, but with a much higher profile. Thankfully, O:M kept QR from veering into early retirement, too.

I liked everything they did through Hear In The Now Frontier. Then came a lot of bad albums until Operation: mindcrime II. Then came more bad, the breakup and then finally a couple pretty good albums in Condition Human and The Verdict.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:33 am

TageRyche wrote:
verslibre wrote:

I liked everything they did through Hear In The Now Frontier. Then came a lot of bad albums until Operation: mindcrime II. Then came more bad, the breakup and then finally a couple pretty good albums in Condition Human and The Verdict.

I dropped off after the spotty Promised Land. Everything through Empire is essential, IMO. I saw them at the Long Beach Arena on the Empire tour and they were incredible. Unbelievably good. Warrior Soul opened and they were good, too.

Yes to the recent Tate-free albums.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 am

verslibre wrote:
I dropped off after the spotty Promised Land. Everything through Empire is essential, IMO. I saw them at the Long Beach Arena on the Empire tour and they were incredible. Unbelievably good. Warrior Soul opened and they were good, too.

Yes to the recent Tate-free albums.

The first Queensryche album with La Torre (released around the same time that Tate released an album under the QR banner due to the judge's ruling in the lawsuit) was mediocre at best.

I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:16 am

TageRyche wrote:The first Queensryche album with La Torre (released around the same time that Tate released an album under the QR banner due to the judge's ruling in the lawsuit) was mediocre at best.

I stopped spinning that one kinda quick, too. The next album's MUCH better.

TageRyche wrote:I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.

Kory didn't even talk to us, from what I recall. I saw them two nights in the same venue. The drummer was really on, too.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:35 am

verslibre wrote:
TageRyche wrote:I saw Warrior Soul on that same tour. They got booed off the stage in Boston because the singer was a total dick. He yelled at the crowd and that was a bad move in Boston.

Kory didn't even talk to us, from what I recall. I saw them two nights in the same venue. The drummer was really on, too.

The rest of the band actually sounded decent. But Kory Clarke was rambling on about something in between songs and since the crowd was still filing in, no one was really paying attention to him. He actually said, "Hey, I'm talking up here!" and that set off the boo birds.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 am

Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 am

verslibre wrote:Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:

I saw Geoff Tate in concert on Sunday night and he put on a really great show. That surprised me.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 am

TageRyche wrote:
verslibre wrote:Too bad Damn the Machine was too new at the time (no album yet) to have opened for QR. But then Chris Poland might have made Wilton and DeGarmo uncomfortable. :lol:

I saw Geoff Tate in concert on Sunday night and he put on a really great show. That surprised me.

Who does the band consist of now? Is it still the Sarzo bros with Kelly and Simon?
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

verslibre wrote:
Who does the band consist of now? Is it still the Sarzo bros with Kelly and Simon?

The band is people I've never really heard of before.

Jack Ross on bass, Kieran Robertson on guitar, Scott Moughton on guitar and Felix Bohnke (from Avantasia) on drums. And Tate's daughter Emily performs the role of "Sister Mary".
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:53 am

One of the tapes I certainly wore out back in the day. This was my fave Lepp back then, but it's High 'N Dry now.

I can't even listen to Hysteria or anything past that. Just '80-'83!
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 am

Right before they started to suck. I can barely make it through any song of theirs after this album. It's like nails on a chalkboard. For you young kids that don't know what a chalkboard is, it's like an airhorn in my ear.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

thanks much for this review,

I agree to a point after pyromania they went downhill, I love that album. But could never get into Hysteria. Except for Love Bites.
Too much power pop.

But there are some awesome songs on Euphoria, Paper Sun, Promises, and this track which is my favorite song since pyromania,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nalx1FjZ9M

I
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:53 am

verselibre, Memorex and scarab - I appreciate you taking the time to read the article and comment. We have different opinions of the quality of the band after this album but I appreciate what you all have to say.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 am

The Cassette Chronicles hits the Big 100 articles benchmark this week!

The Cassette Chronicles #100 - Savatage - Gutter Ballet
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:36 am

TageRyche wrote:The Cassette Chronicles hits the Big 100 articles benchmark this week!

A truly spectactular heavy metal album. Not counting thrash, it seemed like only Sabbath, Blue Murder, Badlands and Savatage still had any interest in making truly great original heavy music at the end of the decade. The Olivas are freaks of nature: Jon with the voice that was the envy of most other metal vocalists, and Criss (R.I.P.), who I'd put on par with just about any other lead guitarist of the time — great tone, great chops, and a great soloist. He was taken far, far too soon. And you got to meet him...nice!!

Savatage is such a killer band. The next one, Streets, is another ripper. And likewise with A Handful of Rain, and Edge of Thorns. They blow away most of their peers with relative ease.

I had no idea Jon had had a stroke!! Glad he's okay.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:04 am

verslibre wrote:
TageRyche wrote:The Cassette Chronicles hits the Big 100 articles benchmark this week!

A truly spectactular heavy metal album. Not counting thrash, it seemed like only Sabbath, Blue Murder, Badlands and Savatage still had any interest in making truly great original heavy music at the end of the decade. The Olivas are freaks of nature: Jon with the voice that was the envy of most other metal vocalists, and Criss (R.I.P.), who I'd put on par with just about any other lead guitarist of the time — great tone, great chops, and a great soloist. He was taken far, far too soon. And you got to meet him...nice!!

Savatage is such a killer band. The next one, Streets, is another ripper. And likewise with A Handful of Rain, and Edge of Thorns. They blow away most of their peers with relative ease.

I had no idea Jon had had a stroke!! Glad he's okay.

As I said, they are my favorite band. I have a couple other of their albums that I can write about for this series should I choose to down the line. But yes, they have turned out one great album after another.

And yes, it was great to be able to meet Criss back in 1990.

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:16 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby TageRyche » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:13 am

TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 am

Bitchin' album, my man. Rock Candy needs to reissue this.

Was (very) disappointed by Red Dragon Cartel.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby TageRyche » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am

verslibre wrote:

Bitchin' album, my man. Rock Candy needs to reissue this.

Was (very) disappointed by Red Dragon Cartel.

There's a long story about why it is nearly impossible to find the Badlands album on CD. It has to do with Ray Gillen and his actions after he found out he had AIDS. I can't remember all the details but you can probably find the story online.

I liked the first Red Dragon Cartel album but was disappointed with the 2nd one.
TageRyche
Cassette Tape

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm

TageRyche wrote:There's a long story about why it is nearly impossible to find the Badlands album on CD. It has to do with Ray Gillen and his actions after he found out he had AIDS. I can't remember all the details but you can probably find the story online.

Rock Candy released a remaster in 2010, and somehow I freakin' missed it. They should reissue it.

You can find the original 1989 CD in good shape for $25.

TageRyche wrote:I liked the first Red Dragon Cartel album but was disappointed with the 2nd one.

Really? I couldn't get into it. Didn't bother with the second.
verslibre
Compact Disc

Postby verslibre » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:13 pm

TageRyche wrote:There's a long story about why it is nearly impossible to find the Badlands album on CD. It has to do with Ray Gillen and his actions after he found out he had AIDS. I can't remember all the details but you can probably find the story online.

Just saw something on the Hoffman forums. May as well get a first pressing. They'll never reissue it, if what I read is true.
verslibre
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Snowmobiles For The Sahara