New song from Styx

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New song from Styx

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 am

Title track from Crash Of The Crown. Album out on June 18th.

https://youtu.be/mtCpmFDVhII
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: New song from Styx

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 am

Pretty cool that Styx is creatively invigorated again. There was a period after Cyclorama where I thought they were done with new CDs. As for the song itself....listened three times now. It's busy, but cool.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 am

Tommy was sharing a lot of video from his studio during quarantine, so it's nice to see it evolved into something. The song has more of a Kansas vibe to it than Styx, but it's a pretty good classic melodic rock track. My only question is... is that JY on lead vocals at the top? Strange choice for a single release.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 am

Sure is an "everything plus the kitchen sink" kinda song.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am

How about the new DDY tune?

Last Guitar Hero ft. Tom Morello

https://youtu.be/4rfL2jy7-Ic
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Last Guitar Hero is great.

Crash of the Crown sounds like a Queen song.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 12, 2021 11:01 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Last Guitar Hero is great.

If we have to compare the two (and I guess DDY vs. Styx comparisons are inevitable), Crash of the Crowns wins. Guitar Hero bored me.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 am

HI. I have a question: why is a Styx topic in a Journey message board thread? :D
bellairepark73
8 Track

Postby Monker » Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Last Guitar Hero is great.

If we have to compare the two (and I guess DDY vs. Styx comparisons are inevitable), Crash of the Crowns wins. Guitar Hero bored me.

Well, I agree with that. Styx is trying to be progressive and Progressive. They are moving their music forward. They are influenced by their past but not constantly trying to reach back to it. Dennis' last single "Isle of Anthrope" is an INTENTIONAL throwback to 1970's Styx. "Last Guitar Hero" sounds like a throwback to mediocre 80's rock. Some of the lyrics are corny, and it's repetitive...boring. Frankly, Dennis' first single was better and he should have given it more time. It almost seems like Styx putting out their new music pushed Frontiers to release a new Dennis single.
Monker
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri May 14, 2021 1:15 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:HI. I have a question: why is a Styx topic in a Journey message board thread? :D

Until the new Journey album comes out (or at least the new single,) I guess we are bored. :D
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Monker wrote:Well, I agree with that. Styx is trying to be progressive and Progressive. They are moving their music forward. They are influenced by their past but not constantly trying to reach back to it. Dennis' last single "Isle of Anthrope" is an INTENTIONAL throwback to 1970's Styx. "Last Guitar Hero" sounds like a throwback to mediocre 80's rock. Some of the lyrics are corny, and it's repetitive...boring. Frankly, Dennis' first single was better and he should have given it more time. It almost seems like Styx putting out their new music pushed Frontiers to release a new Dennis single.

This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 pm

JourneyHard wrote: This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)

Haven't heard that from Jon at all. Jon went from being against new music to agreeing to a single to agreeing to an EP to now recording a full blown album. Once again, Neal wins and so do the fans. As for the sound - Cain last said he wants to move back to the center like Arrival. But who knows? I feel Schon and Narada are holding some of the creative cards.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Sun May 16, 2021 2:22 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote: This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)

Haven't heard that from Jon at all. Jon went from being against new music to agreeing to a single to agreeing to an EP to now recording a full blown album. Once again, Neal wins and so do the fans. As for the sound - Cain last said he wants to move back to the center like Arrival. But who knows? I feel Schon and Narada are holding some of the creative cards.

Yes. I am excited to see if Narada can help mold the new songs into something special. Sometimes, it takes somebody outside the band to join the band and come in with fresh perspective. Now that I think about it, Arrival had the legacy sound and they were adventurous on some of the songs, too.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:20 am

Here is another song (Reveries) from the new Styx album for anyone here interested. Something to check out while you wait for the new Journey album.

https://youtu.be/NkR4ZuaSRpI
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 am

JourneyHard wrote: Now that I think about it, Arrival had the legacy sound and they were adventurous on some of the songs, too.

Very true. Revelation was the closest thing to a carbon copy of the greatest hits. Arrival veered close to the middle but has some curveballs (Kiss Me Softly, Live and Breathe, All The Things).
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Here is another song (Reveries) from the new Styx album for anyone here interested. Something to check out while you wait for the new Journey album.

https://youtu.be/NkR4ZuaSRpI

Thanks for sharing. Not bad so far (1:30 into it).
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Archetype » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:18 pm

Crash Of The Crown has proven to be an incredibly good album, and the 5 tracks from it they played in Hamburg, NY last week really came across really well and the crowd received them even better than expected.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:01 am

Archetype wrote:Crash Of The Crown has proven to be an incredibly good album, and the 5 tracks from it they played in Hamburg, NY last week really came across really well and the crowd received them even better than expected.

Meanwhile, for Journey, we are not even sure what the lineup will be long term, when an album is coming out, if they are on BMG or are releasing it on their own, their single fell completely flat and really went nowhere, and their last national broadcast had Arnel sounding absolutely horrible.

I'm sure glad Styx has their shit together. Journey (Neal) could learn something from them.
Monker
MP3

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:48 pm

Monker wrote:
Archetype wrote:Crash Of The Crown has proven to be an incredibly good album, and the 5 tracks from it they played in Hamburg, NY last week really came across really well and the crowd received them even better than expected.

Meanwhile, for Journey, we are not even sure what the lineup will be long term, when an album is coming out, if they are on BMG or are releasing it on their own, their single fell completely flat and really went nowhere, and their last national broadcast had Arnel sounding absolutely horrible.

I'm sure glad Styx has their shit together. Journey (Neal) could learn something from them.

What?

I love Styx but they just played Hamburg NY. Meanwhile Journey played Lollapoolaza. Come on Monker.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:44 am

Eric wrote:
Monker wrote:

What?

I love Styx but they just played Hamburg NY. Meanwhile Journey played Lollapoolaza. Come on Monker.

Not saying Journey is unknown, but a lot of of relatively unknown artists play Lollapalooza. It’s a huge festival that a lot of artists play at. Styx has played at some huge festivals as well. Journey also didn’t play a single track there written after 1986. Styx is playing 5-6 new songs every night.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:48 pm

Eric wrote:
Monker wrote:

What?

Journey also had a horrible performance on national TV with the CNN concert. They promised an album last July and basically every time Neal was interviewed since. They have no full tour scheduled for this year, only the run in Vegas late this year. The one song they have released went nowhere. They have people moving in and out of the band like it is filled with revolving doors.

Meanwhile Styx released live teasers of full songs that were actually ON THE ALBUM. They released multiple singles and videos. They released the full album. They released extra songs on their "Record store day" album. And, they scheduled a full tour this year and are out there touring. They have had the same lineup for 20yrs now, and added Will as a member due to his contributions to the last two albums. No lawsuites, no band drama, just music - the way it SHOULD be.
Monker
MP3

Postby Onestepper » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:46 pm

Monker wrote:
Journey also had a horrible performance on national TV with the CNN concert. They promised an album last July and basically every time Neal was interviewed since. They have no full tour scheduled for this year, only the run in Vegas late this year. The one song they have released went nowhere. They have people moving in and out of the band like it is filled with revolving doors.

Meanwhile Styx released live teasers of full songs that were actually ON THE ALBUM. They released multiple singles and videos. They released the full album. They released extra songs on their "Record store day" album. And, they scheduled a full tour this year and are out there touring. They have had the same lineup for 20yrs now, and added Will as a member due to his contributions to the last two albums. No lawsuites, no band drama, just music - the way it SHOULD be.

Well since Journey is evidently letting you down so much, maybe you can go over to the Styx board and hang out there. Doubtful anyone here would miss you.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:32 am

Archetype wrote:
Not saying Journey is unknown, but a lot of of relatively unknown artists play Lollapalooza. It’s a huge festival that a lot of artists play at. Styx has played at some huge festivals as well. Journey also didn’t play a single track there written after 1986. Styx is playing 5-6 new songs every night.

It was Saturday night at Lollapalooza and broadcast on Hulu that night and then on Sirius the next week multiple times. So, while there were unknowns playing at Noon... Journey wasn't among them,... to be fair. Styx played the Erie County Fair. I think they should be playing far above that.
Last edited by Eric on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:46 am

Monker wrote:.

Journey, who has no tour this year:
    Lollapoolaza... replayed on Hulu and SiriusXM
    Homecoming episode on CNN
    9-11 Never Forget Concert
    Vegas Residency in December

Styx is mostly playing venues beneath where Journey played on their Red13 tour that was purposely secondary markets. And for the record - I don't understand why Styx (as a fabulous band and one of my faves) is doing that.

It's a bad argument Monker. Tommy would trade band statuses with Schon in a split second. And you know it.

As far as a "horrible performance"... according to who? Arnel started rough at Lollapoolaza and was rough on CNN but overall Lollapoolaza was a dynamite concert that had them trending on Twitter.

Your revolving door comment? Because they tossed out two lazy fuckers who wanted to retire and still get paid? Schon-Cain-DeenO-Arnel are a helluva of a tenured core together. Journey wasn't touring this year and Jackson had back surgery. Big effin deal.

Your comment about Journey's single going nowhere: Journey and Styx aren't going to have hit records, Monker. I couldn't find someone who has heard Styx's new music if I tried in my daily life. I've heard people mention the Journey single. But since you said Journey wouldn't never release new music I guess this is your newest stretch. :roll:
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:17 am

Styx is mostly playing venues beneath where Journey played on their Red13 tour that was purposely secondary markets. And for the record - I don't understand why Styx (as a fabulous band and one of my faves) is doing that.

They are touring. Journey isn't. Styx has their shit together. Journey doesn't.

It's a bad argument Monker. Tommy would trade band statuses with Schon in a split second. And you know it.

I don't think so. Right now Styx is working. Journey isn't.

As far as a "horrible performance"... according to who?

Lots of people. Read the CNN topic on this forum.

but overall Lollapoolaza was a dynamite concert that had them trending on Twitter.

And, CNN was HORRIBLE.

Your revolving door comment? Because they tossed out two lazy fuckers who wanted to retire and still get paid?

That is only according to Neal. You don't know the full truth...and believing anything Neal says is crazy. Even people on this forum who constantly defend him know he is a bit loopy.

Schon-Cain-DeenO-Arnel are a helluva of a tenured core together. Journey wasn't touring this year and Jackson had back surgery. Big effin deal.

I wouldn't bet on Narada or Deen or Marco or Randy being in the band by the time the tour starts next year. The way this band is, you have no clue who will be there. Even with Arnel's vocal issues, it wouldn't surprise me if he were gone and replaced.

Your comment about Journey's single going nowhere: Journey and Styx aren't going to have hit records, Monker.

Styx just had a #1 rock album, #5 album overall. Sounds like a 'hit' to me.

I couldn't find someone who has heard Styx's new music if I tried in my daily life. I've heard people mention the Journey single.

See above, Crash of the Crown charted really well. The album Journey releases next month may do well, too....who knows.

But since you said Journey wouldn't never release new music I guess this is your newest stretch. :roll:

No, it's a fact. Styx has their shit together, Journey doesn't. Journey looks like a train wreck right now.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:18 am

Onestepper wrote:
Monker wrote:

Well since Journey is evidently letting you down so much, maybe you can go over to the Styx board and hang out there. Doubtful anyone here would miss you.

I post in both. And, I have fans like you in both.
Monker
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:04 am

Monker wrote:
Meanwhile Styx released live teasers of full songs that were actually ON THE ALBUM. They released multiple singles and videos. They released the full album. They released extra songs on their "Record store day" album. And, they scheduled a full tour this year and are out there touring.

Not saying Journey will get it right (they are notoriously full of missed opportunities) but maybe you should wait until Journey actually has their album ready for release and then you can compare apples to apples.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:41 am

Monker wrote:

Same answer for both, let's wait until Journey "gets back to work" and releases their album. Then compare apples to apples.

Monker wrote:
Your revolving door comment? Because they tossed out two lazy fuckers who wanted to retire and still get paid?

That is only according to Neal. You don't know the full truth...and believing anything Neal says is crazy. Even people on this forum who constantly defend him know he is a bit loopy.

It could be the truth as easily as not. You don't know either.

Schon-Cain-DeenO-Arnel are a helluva of a tenured core together. Journey wasn't touring this year and Jackson had back surgery. Big effin deal.

I wouldn't bet on Narada or Deen or Marco or Randy being in the band by the time the tour starts next year. The way this band is, you have no clue who will be there. Even with Arnel's vocal issues, it wouldn't surprise me if he were gone and replaced.[/quote]

You can't use future guesses to prove your theory. As long as Deen stays clean there is no reason to think he will leave again. He is loyal to Neal/Journey. And even if Deen did drop out that doesn't change the fact that the Neal, JC, Arnel, Deen lineup is Journey's longest. Still, Journey has always evolved....always. So why is it a suddenly a problem now?

Monker wrote:
Your comment about Journey's single going nowhere: Journey and Styx aren't going to have hit records, Monker.

Again, gotta at least wait until the new album is released to doom on the band.

Monker wrote:
But since you said Journey wouldn't never release new music I guess this is your newest stretch. :roll:

No, it's a fact. Styx has their shit together, Journey doesn't. Journey looks like a train wreck right now.

That is the classic definition of opinion. You were absolutely wrong about Journey releasing new music. The rest is your opinion.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:57 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:
Monker wrote:
Meanwhile Styx released live teasers of full songs that were actually ON THE ALBUM. They released multiple singles and videos. They released the full album. They released extra songs on their "Record store day" album. And, they scheduled a full tour this year and are out there touring.

Not saying Journey will get it right (they are notoriously full of missed opportunities) but maybe you should wait until Journey actually has their album ready for release and then you can compare apples to apples.

LOL. My entire point is that Journey DOES NOT have their shit together. Waiting until they do and then comparing is ignoring the reality of what Journey is TODAY.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:40 pm

jrnyman28 wrote:
Monker wrote:

Same answer for both, let's wait until Journey "gets back to work" and releases their album. Then compare apples to apples.

Again, Journey doesn't have their shit together. You are essentially admitting it.

Monker wrote:

It could be the truth as easily as not. You don't know either.

This was an accusation made as part of a lawsuit. A lawsuit that Neal settled. At best, it is ignorant and irresponsible to state it as fact. At worst, it is a blatant public lie to the forum.

You can't use future guesses to prove your theory. As long as Deen stays clean there is no reason to think he will leave again.

The way this band works today, as discussed in the lawsuit, is that Neal and Jon ARE Journey. Everybody else are replaceable sidemen who contribute very little to the band. There is every reason to believe that Neal can fire/replace any member he wants to, for any reason his mind dreams up.

Still, Journey has always evolved....always. So why is it a suddenly a problem now?

Journey doesn't 'evolve' any longer. That ended when Neal decided everybody are replaceable, irrelevant, sidemen. Journey is Schon/Cain. THAT does not 'evolve'.

Monker wrote:

Again, gotta at least wait until the new album is released to doom on the band.

What are you talking about? I did not 'doom' the band. I am saying that Styx has their shit together and wrote and released a new album, and more, as they said they would. Neal said an album would be release in July of 2020 and new singles would be released every month this year. Journey does NOT have their shit together. I doubt they really have since they fired Augeri, and then JSS.

Monker wrote:

That is the classic definition of opinion. You were absolutely wrong about Journey releasing new music. The rest is your opinion.

Oh, please. That was in the middle of the lawsuit. There is no way in hell they were going to be able to release any new album in the middle of a lawsuit. I said something like, "Journey releasing new music is about as likely as Steve Perry announcing a tour." So, what. Regardless, they still haven't really released anything, just one song to YouTube...and it has been well over a year of Neal saying one is ready and coming. The one quote that I'll stand by is that Journey will never have another deal like the Wal-mart deal, and they will never be on another major label like Sony again." The time for those type of deals are FAR in the past.
Monker
MP3

Next

Return to Journey