New song from Styx

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New song from Styx

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri May 07, 2021 5:28 am

Title track from Crash Of The Crown. Album out on June 18th.

https://youtu.be/mtCpmFDVhII
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: New song from Styx

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat May 08, 2021 12:11 am

Pretty cool that Styx is creatively invigorated again. There was a period after Cyclorama where I thought they were done with new CDs. As for the song itself....listened three times now. It's busy, but cool.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 am

Tommy was sharing a lot of video from his studio during quarantine, so it's nice to see it evolved into something. The song has more of a Kansas vibe to it than Styx, but it's a pretty good classic melodic rock track. My only question is... is that JY on lead vocals at the top? Strange choice for a single release.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:12 am

Sure is an "everything plus the kitchen sink" kinda song.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:04 am

How about the new DDY tune?

Last Guitar Hero ft. Tom Morello

https://youtu.be/4rfL2jy7-Ic
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Last Guitar Hero is great.

Crash of the Crown sounds like a Queen song.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 12, 2021 11:01 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Last Guitar Hero is great.

If we have to compare the two (and I guess DDY vs. Styx comparisons are inevitable), Crash of the Crowns wins. Guitar Hero bored me.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby bellairepark73 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:13 am

HI. I have a question: why is a Styx topic in a Journey message board thread? :D
bellairepark73
LP

Postby Monker » Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Last Guitar Hero is great.

If we have to compare the two (and I guess DDY vs. Styx comparisons are inevitable), Crash of the Crowns wins. Guitar Hero bored me.

Well, I agree with that. Styx is trying to be progressive and Progressive. They are moving their music forward. They are influenced by their past but not constantly trying to reach back to it. Dennis' last single "Isle of Anthrope" is an INTENTIONAL throwback to 1970's Styx. "Last Guitar Hero" sounds like a throwback to mediocre 80's rock. Some of the lyrics are corny, and it's repetitive...boring. Frankly, Dennis' first single was better and he should have given it more time. It almost seems like Styx putting out their new music pushed Frontiers to release a new Dennis single.
Monker
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri May 14, 2021 1:15 pm

bellairepark73 wrote:HI. I have a question: why is a Styx topic in a Journey message board thread? :D

Until the new Journey album comes out (or at least the new single,) I guess we are bored. :D
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Fri May 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Monker wrote:Well, I agree with that. Styx is trying to be progressive and Progressive. They are moving their music forward. They are influenced by their past but not constantly trying to reach back to it. Dennis' last single "Isle of Anthrope" is an INTENTIONAL throwback to 1970's Styx. "Last Guitar Hero" sounds like a throwback to mediocre 80's rock. Some of the lyrics are corny, and it's repetitive...boring. Frankly, Dennis' first single was better and he should have given it more time. It almost seems like Styx putting out their new music pushed Frontiers to release a new Dennis single.

This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 pm

JourneyHard wrote: This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)

Haven't heard that from Jon at all. Jon went from being against new music to agreeing to a single to agreeing to an EP to now recording a full blown album. Once again, Neal wins and so do the fans. As for the sound - Cain last said he wants to move back to the center like Arrival. But who knows? I feel Schon and Narada are holding some of the creative cards.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby JourneyHard » Sun May 16, 2021 2:22 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote: This is exactly the contradiction Neal and Jon have been saying. They want to keep the legacy sound and stretch out in new and interesting directions. With help from their new band members, perhaps they can do the impossible. Keep the legacy sound and explore new musical places. (I am excited to hear what they have created.)

Haven't heard that from Jon at all. Jon went from being against new music to agreeing to a single to agreeing to an EP to now recording a full blown album. Once again, Neal wins and so do the fans. As for the sound - Cain last said he wants to move back to the center like Arrival. But who knows? I feel Schon and Narada are holding some of the creative cards.

Yes. I am excited to see if Narada can help mold the new songs into something special. Sometimes, it takes somebody outside the band to join the band and come in with fresh perspective. Now that I think about it, Arrival had the legacy sound and they were adventurous on some of the songs, too.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:20 am

Here is another song (Reveries) from the new Styx album for anyone here interested. Something to check out while you wait for the new Journey album.

https://youtu.be/NkR4ZuaSRpI
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 am

JourneyHard wrote: Now that I think about it, Arrival had the legacy sound and they were adventurous on some of the songs, too.

Very true. Revelation was the closest thing to a carbon copy of the greatest hits. Arrival veered close to the middle but has some curveballs (Kiss Me Softly, Live and Breathe, All The Things).
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Here is another song (Reveries) from the new Styx album for anyone here interested. Something to check out while you wait for the new Journey album.

https://youtu.be/NkR4ZuaSRpI

Thanks for sharing. Not bad so far (1:30 into it).
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Return to Journey